ladlon

Just curious (brief pauses)

CloD runs very nicely on my system (which, unfortunately is stuck with an older i7.... 2.6), with good settings.  Very nice.

However, as you might expect, from time to time you might get a micropause here and there.

Just curious, generally speaking (in this and perhaps any other flight sim), is that usually as a result of a bottleneck of the hard drive, or some other factor?

I'm running Win7Premium, with 12gigs of RAM.  Someday, once I take care of more important things, I'm hoping to get a more beefy gaming rig... but for now, I'm just curious.  The knowledge may help me squeeze a bit more out of the system.

I've got a NVidia GTX1060 3G....  Not having any real stuttering issues.  CloD runs lovely, and my (recently purchased) Kuban runs surprisingly well.

Just more curious.  I do get the occassional 1/4 second pause now and then (in all my flight sims), and I'm just curious if that's more a 'geometry streaming' thing, or what... and if it's most likely the result of the CPU or GPU (...or RAM)....

On 3/19/2019 at 3:22 AM, ladlon said:

Just curious, generally speaking (in this and perhaps any other flight sim), is that usually as a result of a bottleneck of the hard drive, or some other factor?

Your bottleneck is the speed of your cpu.

https://www.overclock.net/forum/5-intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-4-0ghz.html

Oh, for sure... generally speaking, my CPU is definitely the weakest aspect.  (...and thanks for that link.  Overclocking is something I've been cautiously curious about.  My system runs a bit warm, so I always avoided even considering it... but, I would only want to get it up to maybe 2.8 or at most 3, if possible... so, it may actually be possible to consider).

No, in this post, I am just asking if that sort of occassional quick pause is usually the map loading in, or something else.  If it IS the map, I would wonder if a new hard drive might help.

My sims are currently an old 500gig Hitachi...  No idea what the speed rating is, but it's probably not fantastic.  I now have a 1TB Western Digital Black, which I assume will be better than the Hitachi (including the fact that it'll be a secondary drive, so it won't be sharing the O/S traffic).

Again, all my sims (Kuban, CloD, DCS, X-Plane, etc) are actually running quite nice (and at good settings).  Just seeing how I might improve things (aside from buying a whole new system, which is not an option currently, unfortunately).

I have an intel i9 9900k, nvidia 1070 8gb, 16 gb ram 3200 and a samsung evo and i have microstutters here and there, but my problem is the trackir (there are hundreds of webs talking about my same problem) and the microstutters happen when i move my head to spot the enemy. 😔

I'm using a TrackIR as well...  My performance is good, but (as with any flight sim) there are occasional single (1/4 second?) pauses.

I hadn't heard of the issue in regards to TrackIR, so I'll have to look into that.

I'm getting a surprising 60fps with BoK (...I was really worried it would strain my CPU, being a newer sim), but they did a great job optimizing it, it seems.  Xplane10 gives me around 43fps, so I wa surprised to see BoK giving me 60 (with the settings generally high... whatever the default settings are)..

Posted (edited)

Game installed on HDD or SSD? I used to suffer from stutters because of radio call-outs from AI wingmen. The uncompressed .ogg samples (if I recall correctly?) being read from my old HDD and processed by my Audigy and later Xonar sound card were alwasy causing stutters. It was quite a "popular" problem amongst many CloD players back in the day. Various solutions suggested back then didn't help.

Only moving to SSD solved the problem once and for all.

Edited by Art-J

Posted (edited)

I'm on an old 500gig Hitachi SATA drive (C drive).  I'm going to be installing a new 1TB Western Digital Black (secondary drive), and putting all my sims on that.

I have been pondering the idea of putting one of the flight sims on an SSD... but wasn't sure which of them would truly benefit the most (XPlane, DCS, BoX).

Edited by ladlon