chiliwili69

Nice clouds in Battlefield 1

I was just looking my 11-yr son playing Battlefield 1 in the 4k monitor (no VR), the beauty of the clouds captures my attention. Oh my god, what an amazing clouds!!

I don´t want to make propaganda of that arcade game, but just ask about the technology they use to create those amazing clouds without affecting the performace.

The clouds in IL-2 is a pending item, but clouds are a big item in flight simulators.

Does anybody know how they make these nice clouds?

Look the video:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nVKTNl_agyE9elMb0W-TgvfBX6ADrdtD

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

Does anybody know how they make these nice clouds?

14 dumptrucks full of gold

• Haha 2

AAA game with a movie level budget. We're talkin 150-200 million dollars most likely. Studio with hundreds of people. 

7 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

AAA game with a movie level budget. We're talkin 150-200 million dollars most likely. Studio with hundreds of people. 

Yep. IIRC Battlefield One sold 13 million copies in year one. Heck of a big budget game. 

I've still along way to go but I'm doing what I can as a modder within the game engine to improve the look  of the clouds here in IL2

last man home.jpg

between the clouds.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Yeah, sure it is game with a very different level of budget, but I was asking more about the tech they use to make those clouds.

is this something known? are those techniques published in any CG congress?

I worked 25 years ago in CG to simulate turbulent flows and smoke, there were many approaches, all of them published in CG congresses. I suppose the CG tech for clouds would be something mature and known in CG forums.

Here at minute 11 they talk about how they did it:

https://polycount.com/discussion/184595/how-we-created-fluidmeshes-and-clouds-for-battlefield-1

those are more of artistic clouds than realistic, dont see it coming

How beautiful real clouds can be and how different in shape ,all we know. IMHO weather and hence clouds play significant role in flying so I think they should be modelled much better in our sim. Hope to see it changed someday. No more flat pancakes please ;)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

One thing I rarely ever hear mentioned regarding clouds in flight simulators is their draw distance. You can make clouds look incredibly pretty if you don't have to render them across a 250 x 250 km map, which is the case in Battlefield.
As for flat pancakes, most clouds have flat bottoms (shame) and more rounded, often convectively-driven tops. IL2 has the first bit sorted, the second bit not so much.

To what extent that can feasibly be simulated at a high enough resolution to look good I'm not sure.