The_Ant

buying 2080 or 2080 ti for VR

Hi all! Im considering bying a 2080 or 2080ti for better vr performance.Im now on a 1080 and have a custom graphich setting in game,set high no hdr and ssa and low shadows etc,The game runs nice in Stalingrad map with around 45-60 fps constant over ground/towns to 84-90 constant in high clouds.But on moscow and kuban the fps much lower 35-50 constant over ground and around 60-70 fps high up.When having major dogfights down low in career is seroius fun,but also anoying.so the question is will a better graphic card like 2080 or 2080ti give the moscow and kuban maps some increased fps-lets say 10-20 more fps.My gaming rig is mostly up to date-i7 7700k -4,5ghz oc and 32gb ddr4 ram,thinking its gpu thats holding some fps back???

It might help, I am sure you will see some gains, don't expect anything serious though. What headset do you use?

Posted (edited)

I have the same setup and maybe unlike other advices you will recieve, I think it is your it is your CPU that is holding your back. I have fpsVR running (=facts) and I do see its mostly the 7700k (4,8ghz) CPU thats having problems not my GTX1080. With the RTX2080(ti) you could set your adjustments higher for more eyecandy, but it is still the CPU that will show he is the bottleneck as soon as your have lots of AI plane or other activities around you. 

What you could do as a try is to OC your RAM using the XMP profile, overclock the CPU to 4,8Ghz in your Bios and ofcourse disable/close all the not needed software, virusscanners, processes, windows update or services. 

Using a separate m2 500Gb SSD only for BoX, so everthing keeps clean. 

Edited by Dutch2

i went from 1080 to 1080ti and the increase in fps was ~10%. Looking at how 2080ti differs and the cpu-centric Il2 performance I think you'll see improvements in ~20%.

If you oc your CPU to 5ghz,  oc RAM to 3200 with CAS 14 latency, add 2080ti .. you definitely will see improvements. However that'll be on Balanced preset. Switch it to High and you'll be back where you started.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

It might help, I am sure you will see some gains, don't expect anything serious though. What headset do you use?

im on a Rift for over 2 and half years now.Loving every moment of  it,But Boddenplatte is coming along,and fearing that it will increase fps drop just like moscow and kuban maps have done againgst the Stalingrad one.

2 hours ago, -99th-moosya said:

i went from 1080 to 1080ti and the increase in fps was ~10%. Looking at how 2080ti differs and the cpu-centric Il2 performance I think you'll see improvements in ~20%.

If you oc your CPU to 5ghz,  oc RAM to 3200 with CAS 14 latency, add 2080ti .. you definitely will see improvements. However that'll be on Balanced preset. Switch it to High and you'll be back where you started.

my graphic setting is high exept shadows low-hdr off-ssao off.well i could lower it to balanced,but i want it too look nice,thats why im asking if a uppgrade too 2080 or 2080 ti will benefit som increase in fps.Got to stay ahead for Boddenplate when it arrives,incase theirs fps drop from the map/area.

2 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

I have the same setup and maybe unlike other advices you will recieve, I think it is your it is your CPU that is holding your back. I have fpsVR running (=facts) and I do see its mostly the 7700k (4,8ghz) CPU thats having problems not my GTX1080. With the RTX2080(ti) you could set your adjustments higher for more eyecandy, but it is still the CPU that will show he is the bottleneck as soon as your have lots of AI plane or other activities around you. 

What you could do as a try is to OC your RAM using the XMP profile, overclock the CPU to 4,8Ghz in your Bios and ofcourse disable/close all the not needed software, virusscanners, processes, windows update or services. 

Using a separate m2 500Gb SSD only for BoX, so everthing keeps clean. 

No problem with harddrives.Im on a 256gb ssd start hard drive and my games on a 2tb ssd..

Edited by The_Ant

Well on my previous build, which as an i7 4820k at 4.5 GHz with 16GB DDR3 ram and 1080 Ti, I did not see much gain when I put a 2080 Ti in it.

However when I did this new build in January, i9 9900k at 5.1 GHz with 32 GB DDR4 ram (3200) and with the same 2080 Ti I saw a pretty  appreciable gain.

Not sure if that helps you much, if you did upgrade GPU I would go 2080 Ti for VR, whether the gain would be worth it to you hard to say. They certainly ain't cheap.

If you want to test it out and in your in the US, get it off amazon, you can return it within 30 days for basically free. Right now the games just not limited by the graphics card in VR, it's all about the fastest ram (new revelation) and cpu, cpu at 5 ghz is about as good as it gets right now, either coffee lake or whatever the 9k series is. Even a 7th gen at 5ghz is good. We need faster cpu's.

20 hours ago, The_Ant said:

Hi all! Im considering bying a 2080 or 2080ti for better vr performance.Im now on a 1080 and have a custom graphich setting in game,set high no hdr and ssa and low shadows etc,The game runs nice in Stalingrad map with around 45-60 fps constant over ground/towns to 84-90 constant in high clouds.But on moscow and kuban the fps much lower 35-50 constant over ground and around 60-70 fps high up.When having major dogfights down low in career is seroius fun,but also anoying.so the question is will a better graphic card like 2080 or 2080ti give the moscow and kuban maps some increased fps-lets say 10-20 more fps.My gaming rig is mostly up to date-i7 7700k -4,5ghz oc and 32gb ddr4 ram,thinking its gpu thats holding some fps back???

How much supersampling are you using?

1 hour ago, Black_Sab said:

How much supersampling are you using?

If you mean antialiansing,then its turned off.

thanx all whom replyed.thinking im going to save some more cash and do a full upgrade,motherboard,i9990k and a 2080ti

2 hours ago, The_Ant said:

thanx all whom replyed.thinking im going to save some more cash and do a full upgrade,motherboard,i9990k and a 2080ti

I mean SuperSampling set in SteamVR or Oculus Tray Tool. I'm asking because your current FPS seems a bit low compared to your hardware so there is a chance that you have too much SS set.

4 hours ago, The_Ant said:

Be aware that IL2 doesn't need loads of threads. The best bang-for-buck for IL2 in VR is going to be the 9600K with a good liquid cooler and overclock. The 9700K and 9900K might get you better clocks and the hyper-threading will help other stuff like media encoding, but they will make only a marginal improvement for IL2. 9600K is where I personally would stop on the price/performance curve for IL2. (I have an 8086K @ 5.0ghz and am happy with it). Low latency RAM is also a factor, so save some budget for that. Mhz-vs-CAS is kind of complex but if you can get 3200-CAS14 that's pretty good.

I7-9700k does also not have HT, but seeing the testing by Chiliwire,  BoX don’t need that. The i5-9600k is indeed the bang for bucks I think. AMD is also going to release new CPU’s who knows they are even more bang for bucks.

About RAM, always check if your motherboard does support that RAM you wanting to buy, I did face that compatibility  problem. 

Lets have a follow up.

Bought a Asus rtx 2080 dual 8g yesterday.And the result i was able to rise the settings to high with mostly everything  set on,not been able to do this Before-getting a low 38-40 fps  at low altitude and around 70-80 fps high up,on balanced setting and mostly other settings off.The new fps sits at 45-50 on ground and almost constant 80-90 high up.The headmovement seams more fluid in cockpit,cant describe how just feels.The verdict moneywise a big hole in your vallet!And game wise Ohhhh yea!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hello folks, Im running on i7 4790k @ 4.7 Ghz and Gtx 1070, achieving 40-50 fps on lower alt and 89+ higher. Thoughts about my config - cpu is good and GPU is the limit. Looking into windows' task manager I can see CPU up to 70% load and GPU 99% most of the time. Can anyone check and compare these values with your own rig?

19 hours ago, wicieyy said:

Hello folks, Im running on i7 4790k @ 4.7 Ghz and Gtx 1070, achieving 40-50 fps on lower alt and 89+ higher. Thoughts about my config - cpu is good and GPU is the limit. Looking into windows' task manager I can see CPU up to 70% load and GPU 99% most of the time. Can anyone check and compare these values with your own rig?

My experience is that the GTX1080 is the low entry level of playing BoX VR at an decent level, so yeah in that perspective your GTX1070 most be rather weak. About your CPU load, check the load on each core because I think one core is also close to the limit. 

Only about CPU upgrading, I would wait for the new generation Ryzen and Intels answer on that, as I see you have BoBpl. I think it will be more performance hungry that even an Intel 9xxxK will have difficulty in rendering all the detailed aspects on the FC and the BoBpl map. 

As I do not see any GTX168o(ti) to be released and AMD answer (the RadeonVII) was a bit disappointing, I guess the RTX2080(ti) series would be a safe BoX-VR choice for the next full year, or AMD’s Lisa Su should announce an NAVI GPU surprise on Computex. 

On 4/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, wicieyy said:

The windows' task manager is not a realiable source, as it's averaging the load of the cores. IL-2 runs mostly on a single core, and it's the first bottleneck on your system. The second bottleneck will be the gtx1070, that is unfortunately correct.

You'll want a CPU with 4.9 to 5.1GHz single core clock speed. Hence current Ryzens have been - for IL-2's scenario - disappointing.

The GTX1080 is scratching around the bottom but mostly fine unless you want to boost high AA or SuperSampling ratios.

I've got a "Golden Sample" GTX1080 that boosts up to 1989Mhz-something, so it's closer to a 1080ti than a stock 1080. If you want to hunt for a cheaper upgrade, you might want to look for such a card. Gainward's GTX1080 Phoenix "Golden Sample" or "GLH" (Goes Like Hell) are pre-selected chips.

• Thanks 1