II./JG77_motoadve

Has anyone gone from an Odyssey + to a Pimax 5K?

I am pretty happy with my Odyseey +, image, smoothness , price , no base stations, I pre ordered my Pimax 5K in October, got an e mail back then, confirming the order ,after that nothing more.

I wrote to them ,asked, when will it ship , no reply, asked  to cancel the order, no reply.

Its been 6 months, I am ready to ask PayPal to dispute the payment and get my money back.

Before doing that, is the 5K a big improvement over the Odyssey +? I read image clarity the O+ was better.

Is it worth the trouble , the wait , and to pay 3.5 times more?

I paid $1,200 for the Pimax 5K. and $350 for the O+

Quality of components, current hardware not even close to enough to run it to its full advantage, I'd say get your money back and patiently wait for everything to catch up to a better quality 2nd-gen.

But that's just me.

• Like 1

Sorry I dont have one but everything I've read says its not worth almost 4x more than a O+, not at the moment anyway. 

I'd try get my money back and then if in a few months when the pre orders are actually over and its actually in stock, maybe consider again if theyve fixed a lot of the issues.

Posted (edited)

If already own the O+ or Vive pro, I would cancel it, because now the whole VR hype is over, the last VR developments will be forced to the PC market, who knows Oculus, Valve, varjo, Qualcom, HP or whatever, will bring in the last but best Mohican.  Meanwhile after the preorder there will also be sales for the Pimax 5k, they should also feel the downforce in VR headset sales for PC gaming. 

Edited by Dutch2

16 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

because now the whole VR hype is over, the last VR developments will be forced to the PC market, who knows Oculus, Valve, varjo, Qualcom, HP or whatever, will bring in the last but best Mohican.  Meanwhile after the preorder there will also be sales for the Pimax 5k, they should also feel the downforce in VR headset sales for PC gaming.

What are you talking about. GDC is this week, VR sales have been rising, Steam VR users rising... 

...and meanwhile we're jumping around in 3DViewStation VR and testing CAD apps. Even our local technical university got some VR headsets installed now. 👨‍💻

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

What are you talking about. GDC is this week, VR sales have been rising, Steam VR users rising... 

Beat Saber sold a MILLION copies. That's pretty awesome!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

...and meanwhile we're jumping around in 3DViewStation VR and testing CAD apps. Even our local technical university got some VR headsets installed now. 👨‍💻

I’m talking about the VR as an shoebox in the gaming sector, guess only the future would tell who has it right. 

Voor business think there is more market, I did see a lecture about XR and what it is capable of, as for cleanroom education, simulators, medical handling on a distance, how to build up a complex machine and integration digital/real world. Even got a demo of the Windows hololens, but that is another story. 

edit: and a very good demo about fitness & VR. 

Do not get me wrong I do like VR in BoX and only would like to help by trying to get an decent benchmark for testing adjustments using the right tools, I’m still searching and open for every good suggestion. 

Edited by Dutch2

Posted (edited)

I say game and have fun. If performance is good for you, relax and enjoy!

That is what I do every day, loving it.

VR future is looking very bright indeed.

:good:

1 hour ago, Dutch2 said:

Do not get me wrong I do like VR in BoX and only would like to help by trying to get an decent benchmark for testing adjustments using the right tools, I’m still searching and open for every good suggestion. 

We've already had that.

Lot of info in there spread across many pages.

Edited by dburne

I know but he did not test everything, while I’m more focussing on game adjustments and I think it will harm nobody, in asking how to, showing my lack of knowlegde on some points and let see the results I do have. 

As I did wrote down earlier I love tweaking and optimizing, yep some BoX members do have strange hobbies I suppose. 😎

3 hours ago, dburne said:

I say game and have fun. If performance is good for you, relax and enjoy!

That is what I do every day, loving it.

VR future is looking very bright indeed.

:good:

We've already had that.

Lot of info in there spread across many pages.

And with every update it becomes all more and more irrelevant, he said he's not updating it anymore, the benchmark can no longer be run.

Posted (edited)

Shipping In +-20 days Pimax 5K+ and Pimax 8K with the 4 base stations 2.0 .Right now is in Warehose in Shanghai to pack overseas to ship by air mail to Europe .

Will be ready For the ME 262 A1b ! . 

0AF64111-4E9F-4974-B319-8CCE1B099959.jpeg

Edited by RAY-EU
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Check Sweviver Il2 pimax review to see the performance

Edited by E69_Qpassa_VR
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Check Sweviver Il2 pimax review to see the performance

That video of his was an early one and a few things have changed since then.

Also some of us who have tested many a settings with their Pimax headsets are now just settling down to keeping SteamVR at 100% and any render change done through PiTool.  It is easier and it would seem that info on how much of the 4K panel per eye is used for rendering is a bit of a Pimax mystery.  We do know that some of the horizontal pixels are not untilised which allows for IPD screen adjustment corresponding to IPD lens adjustment but if you look at render targets per eye in SteamVR - it is just weird.  The image quality though is quite good when leaving it just up to PiTool and on the 8K - keeping the HMD refresh rate at 64Hz

Can't speak for the image quality of the 5K but loving the 8K - especially those early Autumn mornings over Stalingrad.  Clouds in the sky, mist on the ground, the lovely colour of the sun rising over a golden landscape, smoke everywhere. 
The wide FOV is nice too.

Motoadve system will handle 5K+ or the 8K easily.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, blitze said:

Also some of us who have tested many a settings with their Pimax headsets are now just settling down to keeping SteamVR at 100% and any render change done through PiTool. 
The wide FOV is nice too.

I'm on the opposite : Pitool set to 2.0 and SteamVR as low as possible. Same output res. and fps than with Pitool at 1.0 and steamVR at ~80%, but better image quality.

And I went to low FOV because it was not worth the fps loss and I noticed too much distortion on FoV edge when a canopy frame is in this area. 

I used the 72hz mod but without smart smoothing because it creates too much glitches for my taste (not the same with DCS where smart smoothing is really needed and makes a great job)

With my 1080Ti I maintain 72 fps on most situation (3dmigoto mod, no AA, global "high" settings and visib. range at 70 km, as I remember).  

Edited by lefuneste

Yeah - I got tired of faffing around with SteamVR Sliders.  Just came to the conclusion that Pimax should know what they are doing and go with their end of doing things.I have no real idea what they are using pixel wise of the screens they have in the headset and it doesn't make much sense but.

I do find at 64Hz with Letting PiTool run the Render Res show - I am getting much better detail, even at lower resolution targets.  Noticing weathering on aircraft skins - better colours on the US RPM and Manifold pressure dials - The Menu Hangar with the large lathes, I notice the dials, the horizontal lines on them.  The Poster on the pillar with Achtung written on it.  More lumps and bumps on the aircraft and so on.

I think the 8K's clarity is compromised the faster Hz you push it due to the scaler chip.

Anyway - I am over experimenting and just use 0.75 100% 100% on Balanced with high shadows and clouds but no sharpening. I do like my HDR and SSOA though but I also run no AA. It gives me a good image and reasonable frames.  Just want to finish my Moscow P40 career but it takes for ever as the front lines are so far away.  Like a 250 mile round trip without me getting lost and fighting off 109 F2's 😀

I just received an Email that my Pimax 5+ is about 100 miles away and to be here Tuesday.  I currently have a Odyssey with no lighthouses or anything for tracking. My Question is, What do you guys recommend I get to do the job?

Pimax 5K +, I just opened a PayPal case to return $ 1100. Communication with Pimax about nothing. So far, about the second galaxy. I don't just have problems, but we have much more. I cannot imagine communication with Pimax in case of complaint. Easier to take Pimax VR and throw it in the trash how to claim

Posted (edited)

Next Week I will have the Pimax 8k and Pimax 5k+ with 4 base stations 2.0 . Right now is in UK in a transportation enterprise and it will take 1 week to arrive at my home final destination.

will be ready just for the release update of the ME 262 A 1b !!!!.

659A32F1-DAC6-4B51-9F05-E927ECC146E7.png

Edited by RAY-EU

On 8. 5. 2019 at 21:06, RAY-EU said:

Budúci týždeň budem mať 8k PIMAX a PIMAX 5k + so 4 základňovými stanicami 2.0. Práve teraz je vo Veľkej Británii v dopravnom podniku a bude trvať 1 týždeň, aby sa dospelo na svojej domovskej konečného určenia.

bude pripravený len pre aktualizáciu uvoľňovanie Me 262 A 1B !!!!.

659A32F1-DAC6-4B51-9F05-E927ECC146E7.png

And who sold you base stations v2.0, Pimax? 🤣

Posted (edited)

Are originally from Pimax , came to Shanghai to Hong Kong to UK by air mail . First  I will have 2 base stations 2.0 for next week Tuesday with a VR Pimax 8K and the Pimax 5K XR to unpack and install setup ; but I have already preordered another 4 base stations more with another Vr the Pimax 5k+ for my family-Kids , that I estimated will arrive next moth later on . 

30AAB03D-0A1A-49C5-9833-3AF4AAF42246.jpeg

CB40E87F-3AA9-4FD6-AFEB-2F1D8F3FE4F4.jpeg

https://pimaxvr.com/products/pimax-base-station-and-wireless-controllersdeposit

Edited by RAY-EU

I ordered a set of Pimax with the base stations in 2.0 and I wrote off that I will deliver in 3Q. The moon was not heard, absolutely horror communication. Finally, I opened the PayPal case and asked for it again and I had to call them 3 times to finally return it to them .... I can't imagine how I would solve a possible complaint ... Never more PIMAX. So I don't understand how they delivered you in 2.0, it won't be okay

Posted (edited)

Yes I agree with you, is very difficult to email with Pimax Sosorry for you . I preordered in October 2018 and they told For shipping in that moment in February 2019 and also was announced in the website of Pimax . 

So ‘I though to do not order any product until is on amazon or in your close near shop because it was and odyssey of more than half a year waiting for the Pimax VR 8K + 5K XR and has still to arrive this Tuesday, if doesn’t arrive I will give more information, if not I will send photos with my simulator and star testing. 

952A4434-61AF-4B49-B29F-CD6A73A088A7.png

66E663EB-B6D6-4CC4-8C22-18AEBE1C5227.png

Edited by RAY-EU

2 hours ago, Helo said:

I ordered a set of Pimax with the base stations in 2.0 and I wrote off that I will deliver in 3Q. The moon was not heard, absolutely horror communication. Finally, I opened the PayPal case and asked for it again and I had to call them 3 times to finally return it to them .... I can't imagine how I would solve a possible complaint ... Never more PIMAX. So I don't understand how they delivered you in 2.0, it won't be okay

Same here, sent lots of e mails to , sales, support , posts in forums, no replies.

And instead of replying they shipped the headset when I asked to cancel the order.Horrible customer service.

Filed a case with PayPal.

It arrived and it did not have the base stations or controllers which I ordered, so I rejected the package and won the case with PayPal.

Not interested to buy anything from that company ever again.

7 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Same here, sent lots of e mails to , sales, support , posts in forums, no replies.

And instead of replying they shipped the headset when I asked to cancel the order.Horrible customer service.

Filed a case with PayPal.

It arrived and it did not have the base stations or controllers which I ordered, so I rejected the package and won the case with PayPal.

Not interested to buy anything from that company ever again.

I have never had a desire to buy from Pimax based on following them on various forums since they began their Kickstarter. And even back in their supposed 4k headset days.

I understand of course some are happy with their headsets, but I have read too many bad stories for myself to give them any serious consideration.

Posted (edited)

Let’s Y. hope & get to see if the future if some thing like the ‘HTC Vive Cosmos ‘ ?. Could give a similar capabilities as The Pimax 8k 5K+ like 150°-200°  With more than the 5K+ resolution for release By the 2020 .

E2968D79-363D-42D3-8ED8-0017CD66C609.jpeg

Edited by RAY-EU

Posted (edited)

How did you buy Lighthouses 2.0? Are they already available in Pimax version?

Edited by zwarteeend

Anybody else wondering what Samsung has up their sleeve?  Can't believe they're going to take all these new HMD's announced just laying down.

https://www.patentlymobile.com/2019/01/samsung-invents-next-gen-gear-vr-headset-that-provides-a-curved-display-for-a-more-natural-field-of-view-and-more.html

They've been active in flexible screens for years, probably lead the field.  Although their new overpriced phone kind of folded.

This is interesting,

https://www.oled-info.com/tags/vr

Cheaper OLED's with ultra high 2,200 ppi's.

The curved display of Samsung is very interesting.

Posted (edited)

I have received only the Pimax 8K . But I am very happy with the possibilities and the potential of this VR . I have already to test with DCS F18C and with the Bf 109 K4 in IL2 BOX .

I send a email , that answers that later on will receive the rest of the devices .

Pimax 8K for the ME 262 A1b

A1AD5B11-4E01-4EED-9098-4AFA09603920.jpeg

820DA70C-3954-4253-A3BD-35F0A8E56814.jpeg

http://72ag-ded.su:8080/es/pilot/478/RAYEU/?tour=45 

1F9252B1-1950-47AA-8CF6-B28B253A14A1.pngBf 109 K-4

Edited by RAY-EU
I will test here and also another Multiplayer scenarios .

Congratulations, have lots of fun with it!

How is the clarity, in comparison - to what you had before ?

Posted (edited)

I can not run the device, is about HDMI problem ? May be I would need the base stations? And is not posible run Pimax 8k as only Stand alone for IL2  ? . Pleases , if someone knows about if  can answer me ?

All the complexing and far away new technologies taken difficulties to run , like the ME 262 years before and in 1943 for that kind of  challenge .

‘Thank s very much Feris and to all , this forum has been very kindness and helpful.

Edited by RAY-EU

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, RAY-EU said:

I can not run the device, is about HDMI problem ? May be I would need the base stations? And is not posible run Pimax 8k as only Stand alone for IL2  ? . Pleases , if someone knows about if  can answer me ?

All the complexing and far away new technologies taken difficulties to run , like the ME 262 years before and in 1943 for that kind of  challenge .

‘Thank s very much Feris and to all , this forum has been very kindness and helpful.

Have you installed latest beta Pitool .129 ? , there is an option to use this device based gyro ( without base stations) but you will have only headtracking

BTW: It is wise to write on Pimax forum than here if you have tech. problems

Edited by TWHYata_PL

Posted (edited)

Thanks very much for the information! I will try it . 

‘Yes ! Latest beta pitool , I remember I tried but couldn’t because said that was not available. But I will try again looking for it  by this way . Thanks 

Edited by RAY-EU

Posted (edited)

Already connected in IL2 with the Pimax 8K  I am connected with the base stations 2.0 of Vive Pro seems are compatible but I have  a problem I will mention more later on I have to test more no time ... Is the optimal the ideal VR to pilot planes the 8k resolution and the 200° overall of visual , you turn the head 90 ° at your right and easily see look all completely behind you . Is the VR I have been waiting for years since this kind of VR . Sosorry  I have to test much more with this fabulous VR ! .

The main problem is that I see double at 2 inches there is another joystick of the Bf 109 K4 of the plane ! & I have been also in DED Multiplayer server for half hour .

In he tutorial place and in steam saloon every thing seems perfect & DCS F18 C runs perfectly . This is another Dimension I am surprised & enthusiastic with this VR Potentially superior for definition and visual performance ° of visual area . ( Like a Ferrari , Porsche or Lamborghini compared with a Volkswagen , Peugeot or Citroën .)

633ED4B7-4385-4864-BAD2-C9D292467C8B.jpeg

Mother Board: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero ,

Processor: Intel Core i7 8700K 4.70GHz 6 cores , Overclocket constantly from 4.20Ghz to 4.70Ghz .

1 SSD Samsung970 Pro M.2 NVME 1TB , Memory  RAM HyperX Predator DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB(4x8)XMP

Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO- Liquid refrigeration Cooler .

1 Graphic Card nvidia RTX 2080 TI 

Fiber Optic High Speed Movistar +

+1 GHz per second of upcoming arround 2 ms of Ping transfer about data 40 ms ping in Il2  Multiplayer DED ,

Edited by RAY-EU

Posted (edited)

bombdetere

On 3/21/2019 at 11:59 AM,  chiliwili69 said: 

Just curious, How do you know parallel reprojection decrease performance? and why?

it's an interesting topic for sure. " You see, a pimp's love is very different from that of a square. "  😄

Pimax's HMD lens and screen's placement is different from any other headset out there.

RIFT/VIVE/ODYSSEY lens/screens:

image.png.82274fbd2a2e3a0ef817c2132d4ab226.png

Pimax:

image.png.a2b893da5a63501bbabd8b7a9b0356a0.png

I think you're starting to get a point of what Parallel Reprojection entails. 😄   For the games that do not support divergent/canted screen configuration (i.e. supports parallel screens only) the Pitools software corrects the rendered scene to the appropriate angular plane so it's correctly displayed on the canted configuration and most importantly understood/recognized by your brain.  That correction is done inside the software process that uses up resources of the GPU, etc...

Edited by RAY-EU
Bombdetere post , this cold be the reason what happens in IL2 about doble view . In DCS F18 C runs every thing perfectly . May be could be fixed in the next update?
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, RAY-EU said:

The main problem is that I see double at 2 inches there is another joystick of the Bf 109 K4 of the plane !

You need to enable the parallel projection option in the Pitool software. 

How big is the sweet spot of the lenses? If you look 90° to the right, as you said, can you see behind your aircraft more clearly? Spot guys on your six?

Posted (edited)

Thanks Alonzo I will try , thanks, I cheq that for sure will be possible so will be fabulous I can imagine such fantastic view with this VR never had seen before since my point of view ! .

Well Fenris more than 100 ° but is very good , so would be perfectly clear behind you more than 180 °  perfectly about 220° behind you ! 

‘It would be very good with a Bf109 K4 if you have some one behind to let them pass and situated just behind them as well .

No pc lack problems at the moment like the HTC Vive Pro every thing running optimally with a very good performance Pc with Pimax 8k . I would inform later on , if not .

Much more than I would expect feeling more comfortable with wide view and 8k is less claustrophobic.

A3C52929-F048-4234-827A-7610075F5F09.jpeg

720A3B1C-669E-4DC6-8992-60CC27CEC24B.jpeg

BCA9E0D0-BBB3-4268-81AE-8198C61E1E85.jpeg

Edited by RAY-EU

Posted (edited)

Problem solved about doble view with pitool beta , settings compatible with verticals views VR like Vive ... 

‘Surprised with the definition visual amd visual degree ° area never seem before ! Is impressionable very good ! 

‘Problems in Quick start play in IL2 combat related with performance PC image block every time, needs to restart computer PC Control ,  Alt Grad & Del . Probably related with ‘GPU’-MicroChip-Graphic Card or  (CPU-Micro Chip ) ? ! Pimax 8K is the authentic best Beast but the PC is not nowadays at the high level Performance that this VR will require .

‘Shipping Pimax 5K XR + Pimax base stations 2.0 but it will  take more than one month to arrive, since my experience , more or less. For the ME 262 A 1b .

Required to stabilizing settings PC Performance for the Pimax 8K that will be very complex and difficult or looking for a more advanced new modern high level faster PC .

F8573B80-B00A-42B4-9E0A-ED9D1D260082.png

Actual PC underperformed for the Pimax 8K requirements :             , for the release of the ME 262 A 1b , 

Mother Board: Asus ROG Maximus X Hero ,

Processor: Intel Core i7 8700K 4.70GHz 6 cores , Overclocket constantly from 4.20Ghz to 4.70Ghz .

1 SSD Samsung970 Pro M.2 NVME 1TB , Memory  RAM HyperX Predator DDR4 3200Mhz 32GB(4x8)XMP

Corsair Hydro Series H115i PRO- Liquid refrigeration Cooler .

1 Graphic Card nvidia RTX 2080 TI 

Fiber Optic High Speed Movistar +

+1 GHz per second of upcoming arround 2 ms of Ping transfer about data 40 ms ping in Il2  Multiplayer DED ,

Edited by RAY-EU

i5 9600K overclocked to 5 or 5.1 GHz (it has a soldered heatspreader, which is much better than the classical one, unless you behead the CPU) is probably the best CPU for IL-2 right now.

Unfortunately I cannot understand what is causing your problem at the moment. Maybe you have put the Pimax into the Motherboard's HDMI port accidently? I've seen this happen before, a friend was playing like that on his monitor configuration for 3 months, while his GTX1070 was "on vacation"... 😀