Jump to content
dburne

Oculus Rift S - to be revealed at GDC 2019 (maybe)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-email-rift-s/

 

Going to be interesting, looking forward to hearing more on the Rift S.

I hope for:

Better image clarity

Slight increase in FOV

Reduced SDE

Tracking as good as current Rift tracking

 

Hopefully we will know next week.

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From today's Oculus Blog:

 

https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-at-gdc-2019-oculus-quest-rift-demos-and-more/?fbclid=IwAR2CDsSSpg9HysydpCuYk6qqQDJ_iEaOT1NcVNBn7V-etAaaUOo5rP7AcAo

 

GDC starts this week at the Moscone Center in San Francisco, and we. are. pumped. Game devs and gamers alike will get hands-on with Oculus Quest, we’ll share some brand-new Rift demos, and we may just have an announcement or two up our sleeves...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've watched several Youtube videos testing the Rift S. For the most part the reviews have been pretty impressive. I know from nothing about VR other than what I've read of peoples' experiences here, but I have to admit this unit might make me want to try it out. The $399 price point is doable for me at least. My system should be strong enough to get a feel for if VR is for me or not. I'm hoping when the unit is released there will be some testing done with BoX before I take the jump.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wags review of the Rift S:

 

Quote


Oculus was kind enough to send us a couple Rift S kits to ensure best performance in DCS World. Based on the previews I've been reading from GDC, I was expecting more of a lateral quality move, with added inside-out tracking. However, compared to the Rift, I'm seeing a significantly higher resolution in DCS World where instrumentation is much easier to read, as well as spotting units outside the cockpit. Looking around the Hornet cockpit, I can read EVERYTHING. I'm very impressed with the DCS World experience in the Rift S. Inside-out tracking has been flawless for me, and Rift S setup could not be easier. If you are a Rift owner, I'd certainly suggest taking a very hard look at the Rift S; I find the experience considerably better.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Nibbio said:

Wags review of the Rift S:

 

 


Why does that have the classic ring of a paid shill? Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:


Why does that have the classic ring of a paid shill? Lol.

If it had adjustable ipd I'd definitely get one, still thinking of picking one up. My ipd is around 65-66.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like to know what's currently physically possible in regard to pixel density on these tiny screens. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uffz-Prien said:


Why does that have the classic ring of a paid shill? Lol.

Well, in fairness..a couple of extra lines that were missing in the above quote:

 

"Oculus has not asked me to write this, nor compensated in any way. I'm just a bit giddy after just flying with it.

Also, I’m sure you’re asking: where is the VR performance boost!? It’s coming. The VR optimization of the Caucasus map is done, and now the team is optimizing the other maps for improved VR performance. Once done and tested, we’ll release this in a future Open Beta.

I'm starting a new sticky for this impressive device."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Is this the first headset he has tried that isn't a Cv1 rift? ahahahaha. Hey wags, we've had headsets with even better resolutions for a year now.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JonRedcorn said:

Is this the first headset he has tried that isn't a Cv1 rift? ahahahaha. Hey wags, we've had headsets with even better resolutions for a year now.

 

He had a Pimax as well. Can't remember if it was 5k or what.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The nice thing about the Rift S is that it will Just Work(tm) without the faffing around needed for the Pimax. Don't get me wrong -- I like faffing with tech -- but most consumers (and people like Wags) just plug and play and if it's no good with default settings it's no good. That's the thing about the Rift S -- the pixel density bump isn't *that* much but coupled with the RGB stripe rather than pentile, and coupled with the good Oculus software, it's going to be a decent enough upgrade that a lot of people will go for it.

 

I'm promising myself to at least wait for reviews before deciding which 1.5 gen headset to upgrade to. It's hard though when you read a review like that for DCS, which has a lot in common with IL2 in terms of needing good visual clarity.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That´s a really bad news. All of us were waiting a Rift 2.0 in 1-2 year. It is a pity that Oculus abandoned all the people (enthusiasts) who support them in the rocky early beginings.

Now the new stakeholders dictate the route for the Oculus VR which is mass adoption and consequently forget the high-specs devices, who cares for those niche heavy users.

This reality check was foreseeable. (big company, social network, not passion)

My conclusion: F... THEM!

There are other contenders out there who have the balls to go to infinity and beyond!

Edited by chiliwili69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

That´s a really bad news. All of us were waiting a Rift 2.0 in 1-2 year. It is a pity that Oculus abandoned all the people (enthusiasts) who support them in the rocky early beginings.

Now the new stakeholders dictate the route for the Oculus VR which is mass adoption and consequently forget the high-specs devices, who cares for those niche heavy users.

This reality check was foreseeable. (big company, social network, not passion)

My conclusion: F... THEM!

There are other contenders out there who have the balls to go to infinity and beyond!

 

Lol, I certainly hear ya!.

I am extremely disappointed in them after hanging my hat on them and waiting so long for what I felt would be a kick butt Oculus upgrade.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, chiliwili69 said:

That´s a really bad news. All of us were waiting a Rift 2.0 in 1-2 year. It is a pity that Oculus abandoned all the people (enthusiasts) who support them in the rocky early beginings.

Now the new stakeholders dictate the route for the Oculus VR which is mass adoption and consequently forget the high-specs devices, who cares for those niche heavy users.

This reality check was foreseeable. (big company, social network, not passion)

My conclusion: F... THEM!

There are other contenders out there who have the balls to go to infinity and beyond!

 

 Couldn't agree more. Especially with your well developed and sophisticated conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People running the oculus are in for a big shock when they upgrade to higher res screens, the performance impact is significant. I can't understand the devs insistence on making the cloud option tied to preset. Why even have the option. Who is going to run the high or ultra preset and use medium clouds?

Edited by JonRedcorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As much as I hate to say it, I will likely get a Rift S.  It is not that bad priced, and I would certainly use it for other games - namely Oculus ones. While the majority of my gaming is flight simming, and hopefully add racing in near future, I am one that also enjoys those other Oculus games.  But I am still very disappointed in Oculus approach now to PC-VR. It is basically a Lenova running on the Oculus Ecosystem.  I am really looking forward to Vador Immortal.

Only question is what will I get and use for my flight simming, - Valve Index, HP Reverb, HTC Cosmos. And will I get as smooth an experience as I get now.

 

I think I will probably try and stay away from WMR headsets though. From all I have read they can be a bit problematic at times. That is one thing I have loved about my Rift, the simplicity of it and it just works great each and every time I fire it up.

 

I built this rig In Jan to get as good experience in VR as I can get in flight sims with whichever headset I choose, only question will be which VR headset will give me that along with good image clarity.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dburne said:

As much as I hate to say it, I will likely get a Rift S.  It is not that bad priced, and I would certainly use it for other games - namely Oculus ones. While the majority of my gaming is flight simming, and hopefully add racing in near future, I am one that also enjoys those other Oculus games.  But I am still very disappointed in Oculus approach now to PC-VR. It is basically a Lenova running on the Oculus Ecosystem.  I am really looking forward to Vador Immortal.

Only question is what will I get and use for my flight simming, - Valve Index, HP Reverb, HTC Cosmos. And will I get as smooth an experience as I get now.

 

I think I will probably try and stay away from WMR headsets though. From all I have read they can be a bit problematic at times. That is one thing I have loved about my Rift, the simplicity of it and it just works great each and every time I fire it up.

 

I built this rig In Jan to get as good experience in VR as I can get in flight sims with whichever headset I choose, only question will be which VR headset will give me that along with good image clarity.

 

I can't say WMR has been difficult to use, the new oculus headset is literally the same thing. The only thing that's annoying is I seem to be the only person that's ever bought an odyssey and not been able to use the mic. Other than that you install one thing on steam and it just works. The oculus was constant issues with sensors being moved, yada yada, the thing was fine when you could set the oculus home to admin and it wouldn't start up, after that it went to hell.

 

If you have a bunch of games on the oculus store you don't really have a choice now do you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

I can't say WMR has been difficult to use, the new oculus headset is literally the same thing. The only thing that's annoying is I seem to be the only person that's ever bought an odyssey and not been able to use the mic. Other than that you install one thing on steam and it just works. The oculus was constant issues with sensors being moved, yada yada, the thing was fine when you could set the oculus home to admin and it wouldn't start up, after that it went to hell.

 

If you have a bunch of games on the oculus store you don't really have a choice now do you.

 

No not really, but I guess I have been lucky as my Rift has just been solid as could be in every department.

My sensors have been sitting on each end of the desk for a long time now, never had to mess with them.

I could just hang on and keep using the CV1 for those Oculus games, but am curious how the new S would do for them.

I really do like the Oculus software also.

But for sure going to get something a little better for IL-2. And I will want it to have a good mic for Voice Attack.

I like the looks of those earphones on the Valve Index.

 

Edit: Word over on the Oculus Forums is that Oculus is now going to make available add on earphones for the Rift S after release.

Probably a smart move.

 

Edited by dburne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dburne said:

 

No not really, but I guess I have been lucky as my Rift has just been solid as could be in every department.

My sensors have been sitting on each end of the desk for a long time now, never had to mess with them.

I could just hang on and keep using the CV1 for those Oculus games, but am curious how the new S would do for them.

I really do like the Oculus software also.

But for sure going to get something a little better for IL-2. And I will want it to have a good mic for Voice Attack.

I like the looks of those earphones on the Valve Index.

 

Edit: Word over on the Oculus Forums is that Oculus is now going to make available add on earphones for the Rift S after release.

Probably a smart move.

 

They should of had them with the s in the first place really, you can just tell they tried to save on every penny they could with the headset.

 

I am sure whatever headset you get will have a working mic, why mine doesn't work I have no idea, I call samsung they tell me to call microsoft, microsoft tells me to call samsung, you know how it goes.

 

Pretty sure it's my windows, I had it working very briefly, something to do with windows privacy settings. They were all shut off, I turned them on it worked, and then it stopped working again. No idea. Not about to reinstall windows so my odyssey mic works though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I must be another lucky one, my rift has been working almost daily with absolutely no problems for 2 years now.

Ready to upgrade and pass it along to my son, as soon as I make up my mind about what the next headset is going to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nibbio said:

Well I must be another lucky one, my rift has been working almost daily with absolutely no problems for 2 years now.

Ready to upgrade and pass it along to my son, as soon as I make up my mind about what the next headset is going to be.


I'm waiting until NVidia release (if) their single-output drivers, to be taken advantage of by mega-pixel density gen-2 HMDs. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...