Sign in to follow this  
SYN_Luftwaffles

How to adjust graphics inside VR and out?

This is probably another dumb question: how do I turn down my desktop graphics that render while I'm playing IN vr, so that my video card isn't doing all this work on my monitor that I'm not using when I'm wearing my headset? 

Also, what does the VR HMD checkbox in graphics do?

I really don't plan on using my monitor anymore for my flying. 

Also, john redcorn mentioned setting my graphics to balanced in order to get good fps with supersampling. Do I have to set that to balanced while I'm wearing the headset, or can I do that in 2D and then load steamVR and play regular?

Sorry for all the question marks 🛩️

Posted (edited)

The VR HMD (head mounted display) checkbox enables VR mode. You want this enabled. 

All the graphical settings will affect your HMD rendering except for full screen and resolution options. I set these to windowed mode and 800x600 and then my video card does a lower resolution render on my monitor. Note that I’ve not actually benchmarked to see if this improves performance. 

Also, once you enable the HMD option the rendering on the monitor is distorted, so it’s a bit awkward to use any of the UI via the monitor. 

Edited by lightbulbjim

2 hours ago, SYN_Luftwaffles said:

This is probably another dumb question: how do I turn down my desktop graphics that render while I'm playing IN vr, so that my video card isn't doing all this work on my monitor that I'm not using when I'm wearing my headset? 

Also, what does the VR HMD checkbox in graphics do?

I really don't plan on using my monitor anymore for my flying. 

Also, john redcorn mentioned setting my graphics to balanced in order to get good fps with supersampling. Do I have to set that to balanced while I'm wearing the headset, or can I do that in 2D and then load steamVR and play regular?

Sorry for all the question marks 🛩️

You have a samsung odyssey + correct?

Yeah, you can definitely load into the game in 2d and set the graphics the way you want, you can try any combo of settings, I'd advise staying away from ultra. Don't forget about the steamvr settings page, where you can set the SS resolution, under either video tab or applications tab. I would turn on manual override and use about 130-150%. 200% looks the best.

You can mess with the settings to your liking, balanced will give you the best framerate while retaining most of the quality, you won't be able to run high clouds though, even if the option is set to high.

Depends on how much you can handle frame drops, for me it's pretty much a no go, but theirs also a 60hz mode you can enable in the windows mixed reality panel. Let me know how it goes and I can explain in more depth about it.

15 hours ago, lightbulbjim said:

All the graphical settings will affect your HMD rendering except for full screen and resolution options. I set these to windowed mode and 800x600 and then my video card does a lower resolution render on my monitor. Note that I’ve not actually benchmarked to see if this improves performance. 

Be aware that lowering the resolution can cause mouse movement problems. 

6 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Be aware that lowering the resolution can cause mouse movement problems. 

Oh yeah, forgot about that. It's only on the login screen though. I have auto login configured so I never even see that screen.

9 hours ago, lightbulbjim said:

Oh yeah, forgot about that. It's only on the login screen though. I have auto login configured so I never even see that screen.

Even if you bypass the whole login screen and going direct to the selection mission/campaign/carreer screen you still need to use your mouse. 

7 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Even if you bypass the whole login screen and going direct to the selection mission/campaign/carreer screen you still need to use your mouse. 

I’ve only noticed the mouse problem on the login screen. The rest of the GUI seems to be ok. 

36 minutes ago, lightbulbjim said:

I’ve only noticed the mouse problem on the login screen. The rest of the GUI seems to be ok. 

Your lucky because even after I click login, using the keyboard, it hangs on the next screen. Same aspect when my mouse can move, can even select my Email and password, but it disappears around the green login tab. Yep using win&Y, still the same effect. 

I do hope there will be a fix for this. 

58 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

Your lucky because even after I click login, using the keyboard, it hangs on the next screen. Same aspect when my mouse can move, can even select my Email and password, but it disappears around the green login tab. Yep using win&Y, still the same effect. 

I do hope there will be a fix for this. 

Ah, you may be doing it differently to me. If you configure data/autoplay.cfg then you never even see the login screen (unless your Internet connection is down). Maybe that makes a difference to the mouse behaviour. 

2 hours ago, lightbulbjim said:

Ah, you may be doing it differently to me. If you configure data/autoplay.cfg then you never even see the login screen (unless your Internet connection is down). Maybe that makes a difference to the mouse behaviour. 

Before going into an Babylonian confusion, show me how you do that. As I'm speaking of the IL2.exe and the Launcher.exe.