Sign in to follow this  
[PFR]Sarpalaxan

Lifting Buildings and Bridges off the ground

I'me pretty new to the whole Mission Editor thing ad tried to make a Raceing Map with Bridges. Somehow I wasn't able to change the y Axis of the Structures as they seem to be locked to the ground. Am missing something or is it impossible to lift those things? I Haven't found anything about that in the guides and Tutorials I have looked at.

Most block entities, building entities, and a few other ground object type entities have their y axis locked. You can only place them on the ground, and can not move them up or down on the vertical plane.

(The 'place on ground' button will technically move it up or down, but only to match the height of the ground of where the entity is located.)

hello

i have done place objects on ground but they still hang in the air !!??  i am trying to ploace cargo on the embankment in Stalingrad map by the river below the city .

Cargo will remain floating as it’s meant to sit on the dock objects.

Hope you don’t find that answer overly confusing.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

As @Gambit stated, anything with a 'port_up' value will be floating in the air because it's meant to sit on a dock. See image for clarity:

image.thumb.png.86d9605ca1e3a6d20e73a74685b723c7.png

without dock ^^^

image.thumb.png.afb0ee9063f812ef1a46d4c5c0df47af.png

With dock ^^^

Edited by [TWB]Sketch-
  • Upvote 1

ok thats clear , place a jetty below the cargo .  but why are the warehouses doing the same ?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, dog1 said:

ok thats clear , place a jetty below the cargo .  but why are the warehouses doing the same ?

Any entity with port_up in it's name will be floating. The warehouses also have a port_up in their name, so they're floating in the air. To fix this, use a warehouse entity that doesn't have port_up in it's name. Image for clarity:

image.thumb.png.fc61ceab202a208912841fe5986d1674.png

Edited by [TWB]Sketch-
Clarity
  • Upvote 1

here is the best i can do , look at the difference of the proportions !!?? the lorry is not in the same scale to the goods on the wharf  and the warf is way too high for the scenery , is there a completely flat platform available to place lifted objects somewhere ?  

port.png

Let me try to answer some of your questions:

• I think the scale and proportions of the port_up cargo are correct for a ship, since the cargo is setup for a ship, and not a truck.
    • Maybe a Opel/Zu truck only takes a small portion of each of those big cargo boxes? In modern times, conex containers get placed together and are often stacked up. When stacked like that, they will very much appear bigger than an 18 wheeler big truck. However, one conex can be attached to the trailer of a big truck and then it's "to scale", of that big truck. I assume that's the art direction the artist made when making these cargo objects.
  • The wharf scale and height, in my opinion, are correct too, since it's designed to be at the loading height of a ship. Therefore, the wharf must be as high as the ship's main deck. Although, I have no way to prove that the scale and height are right other than to show you how modern and ww2 wharfs were setup, and how the in the game wharfs look next to a ship. You'll notice that both the wharf and the ship are at the height of the ship's main deck. I assume it was difficult to load a ship up with large cargo, and going downhill into the ship, so to speak, was easier with the loading of cargo. See images:
    • I do believe the in game wharfs should level out to the height of the ground, but when you're using a specific wharf in a custom location, you won't get that effect you're looking for.

MICT_5-112241.jpg

Port-of-New-Orleans-Wharf-Analysis.jpg

image.png.d5a3372f72bc49a6b3e546522cd97320.png

Capture.thumb.JPG.8ec7c52a6bbf687ae4b99ca95a248ffa.JPG

• I would go through all the set pieces under the ground mcu group selector just to verify, but I'm 99% certain there's no completely ground level platform in the game
  • It seems you're trying to add cool little cargo boxes next to your trucks and warehouses? Try using art_position_amb1 and art_position_amb2; this will give you the cargo boxes that will be on the ground, and to scale of your trucks and nearby warehouses. See image:

image.thumb.png.50752e5d588fa0eb46b3da1f5cff76f6.png

• If none of these set pieces work for you, then join the rest of us mission designer in complaining about how the development team haven't added new static blocks in a long while. We are most definitely due for more blocks to choose from to make our missions even more aesthetically pleasing.

your  detailed and extensive explanation most appreciated . However this is really a nuisance . We have the bags and boxes but they can only sit on the wharf !!!!!! all is needed is to do what old IL2 did and allow us to adjust heights . The same goes for the railway stations platforms  and i'm sure many other sceneries which have had to ignore placing  the stores . . 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dog1 said:

your  detailed and extensive explanation most appreciated . However this is really a nuisance . We have the bags and boxes but they can only sit on the wharf !!!!!! all is needed is to do what old IL2 did and allow us to adjust heights . The same goes for the railway stations platforms  and i'm sure many other sceneries which have had to ignore placing  the stores . . 

You said it! I'm sure they have a reason why it's locked on most block entities, but until that changes we're limited on what entities we can place where.

Posted (edited)

FREE THE Y AXIS !!   

FREEDOM FOR Y AXIS !!

SET Y AXIS FREE !!!

FREE THE ENSLAVED OBJECTS !!!

CUT THE Y AXIS CHAINS !!!

FIGHTING FOR  A FREE IL2 WORLD !!!

Hope someone hears this cry of despair ... 🙂 

And why not at the same time free Rotation angles on the X and Z axis. Would be very useful for all objects that can be put in inclined orientations. They would be nicely put on sloped ground instead of partly disappearing in the ground as it is today.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Like 2