Sign in to follow this  
HagarTheHorrible

Blip it

I can't say I've really found the blip switch in FC to be of much use in that I pretty much just use the throttle to control the engine, I know it's there and, in theory, I know what it was used for, I just don't find it overly neccessary or useful in FC.

To quote from another forum: Blipping would be used either for taxiing or for an engine-on landing (after the throttle/mixture levers had already been reduced to a fast idle), as using the blip switch on full power put a lot of strain on the engine and was discouraged. Landings were often made engine-off, by switching off the fuel supply and gliding, the advantage of this being that re-opening the fuel supply and the windmilling of the prop would start the engine again, whereas overuse of the blip switch or use of the magneto switch could flood the engine with fuel leading to a rich cut or fire.

• Like 1

I'm a great advocate of throttle technique.. but the blipper certainly can be your friend.

It can save you from a stall, keep you behind a bandit, help you turn quicker, save the engine.

Only thing in FC is there seems to be a delay of about 1/2 second before it kicks in which is less effective than the way it's modelled in RoF.

I think it was commontated on that this was 'lag' to do with the sound cutting out and was fixed.. but I still think it's as it was.

Certain very light rotary planes such as the Pup, Strutter and Hanriot require blip to land. Without it, they would float for ages. Simply cutting off the engine and landing deadstick (that is, switching off the magnetos) is understandably not always an option, especially if the landing needs to be aborted. It also means that the pilot can apply quick bursts of throttle to maintain airflow over the control surfaces, which can help him keep better control on the ground and prevent ground looping.

20 minutes ago, Hellbender said:

Certain very light rotary planes such as the Pup, Strutter and Hanriot require blip to land. Without it, they would float for ages. Simply cutting off the engine and landing deadstick (that is, switching off the magnetos) is understandably not always an option, especially if the landing needs to be aborted. It also means that the pilot can apply quick bursts of throttle to maintain airflow over the control surfaces, which can help him keep better control on the ground and prevent ground looping.

Just not with the DR1 who’s wings blank out any relevant control input at crustal moments. ( obviously I meant “crucial” but have left crustal in because I’ve never heard it before and spell checker hasn’t flagged it up as weird and it’s kind of cool, in scaberous sort of a way).

Good points. Yes, avoiding inertia when attempting to land is important. Also,  I'm not sure if it's modeled in the game, but holding the blip for too long (more than a few seconds) could flood the cylinders and engine won't restart or blow a cylinder from fuel build up or worse like cause a fire if reigniting the engine causes a spark to reach the fuel system.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, HagarTheHorrible said:

Blip it

You suddenly have me thinking of the Devo tune.

When a Camel comes along....

6 hours ago, pilotpierre said:

Crustal and scaberous - 2 new words in one post perchance??

No, I’ve been scaberous for a long time.  🙈. Possibly something to do with being a knuckle dragging anti delusional ( dang it, it’s done it again), it’s supposed to read  ”antediluvian”.

56 minutes ago, Feathered_IV said:

You suddenly have me thinking of the Devo tune.

When a Camel comes along....

If you hum it, I’ll sing it, although, if I get ahead of myself and get carried away please feel free to reign me in, you know, just Blip it. 😃

Edited by HagarTheHorrible

Yes I forgot about landing..

Yaan - In RoF a long blip will stop the engine so I expect the same in FC.

As they say.. A blip in time saves nine !!

21 minutes ago, HagarTheHorrible said:

If you hum it, I’ll play it.

You must blip it

On 3/15/2019 at 10:03 AM, HagarTheHorrible said:

If you hum it, I’ll sing it, although, if I get ahead of myself and get carried away please feel free to reign me in, you know, just Blip it. 😃

The Bass line might be hum able but how would you cope with those discordant keyboard chords?

Blip it real good!

In the shade,😊

Interesting info though on the use of Blip'n and early crates.

On 3/14/2019 at 2:48 AM, yaan98 said:

To quote from another forum: Blipping would be used either for taxiing or for an engine-on landing (after the throttle/mixture levers had already been reduced to a fast idle), as using the blip switch on full power put a lot of strain on the engine and was discouraged. Landings were often made engine-off, by switching off the fuel supply and gliding, the advantage of this being that re-opening the fuel supply and the windmilling of the prop would start the engine again, whereas overuse of the blip switch or use of the magneto switch could flood the engine with fuel leading to a rich cut or fire.

Well... I learned something new today.  Guess I can go home now.  Thanks!