Sign in to follow this  
INET2WINET

DECISIONS FOR A NOOB; PACKAGE TO START WITH???

I'm new to Flight Sims more specifically new to gaming in "today's" world. Although I am what you youngster's call a "NOOB"...I've been a Pilot for more than 30 years...my service was jumping from planes & fast roping from Helo's... not flying them. With that said, as I desperately attempt to rid myself of seemingly a warehouse full of Mac's in order to have a PC with a CPU & GPU to learn how to "fly" all over again...to battle & match my skill set against a world of teenagers & younger people...also having the benefit of a reset, restart, quit, pause option which we didn't enjoy in real world situations. Therefore, which "package" or "option" should I invest my time, money and humility into for my first solo flight...(oh...whatever suggested, I eventually choose once I actually able to take-off and land without destroying anything I will not be chased around the Tarmac, tackled and have the back of my shirt cut off me as was tradition during my flight training years so long ago). Lastly, although the PC System Specs are provided, with the advancement with Ray Tracing, more competition within this genre it seems, will a i5 with a GTX 1060 or 1070ti or a AMD RX 580 be enough for the foreseeable future (couple of years)? I realize these are subjective but any input would be greatly appreciated...if I happen to fly into your airspace in the near future...have mercy on the old man....my monikor will be The OMG...OLD MAN GAMER... Looking forward to many hours being humiliated!!!

Posted (edited)

will a i5 with a GTX 1060 or 1070ti or a AMD RX 580 be enough 

If you have one these is somewhat OK for run actual flights games in 1920x1080 - maybe disabling some eye "candy features",  but not above, neither for VR - the "trend of future".

If you are going to buy a new system get one more powerful - flight games are very demanding, specially in CPU power.

Give a look in this topic - since is started a long time, look in last pages.

Edited by Sokol1

Hi

Battle of Stalingrad is probably the best all around Eastern Front option for online and offline play. Boddenplatte is coming soon but is still early access and incomplete at this stage if you like late war Western front stuff. Sale currently on so its a good time to buy two packages. Without Battle of Stalingrad, both Kuban and Moscow can be limiting online (kuban less so these days)

As for specs its a Sokol says. There will be others who claim astounding results with less but....well.....just go with the popular consensus. 

VR wise, you need deep pockets and a good dose of "forgive and forget". Your I5/1060/ 580 wont cut it without going all "minecraft" on the settings and sea sickness tablets. The Tech is immersive but you'll be paying a premium (and a high one at that) for graphical fidelity that currently still leaves a little to be desired (in general not just in Great Battles). Moreover you'll have the joy of routinely buggering about with the various tray tools and mods required (but constantly being broken) to run it well and a decent HOTAS set up for all the keypressess or a voice activation programme that will work only half the time and convice your relatives you've lost it as you twitch about in your little virtual world talking to yourself.  Best of all though is that you'll be expected to pay another huge premuium for a new PC if the VR tech improves significantly (though there is currently little sign of that happening soon no matter what its acolytes say).

Regardless of VR youd still be wiser to push for a higher spec over the I5/580/1060 if you wanted to future proof your purchase for a couple of years and perhaps game beyond 1080P with all the bells and whistles.

Ray tracing hasnt been a thing in Great Battles and seems a little broken generally as it stands anyhow. Certainly not a deal breaker here.

Finally, despite all appearances to the contratry in the way it sometimes behaves, this community isnt young. There are players from probably teens into their 80s so im guessing youd fit into the mid range. Remember simming takes  a high level of social sacrifice, selfishness and space to truly enjoy that really only the old are able to give it!

Posted (edited)

Welcome aboard!

It's never too late to get started, my great uncle who introduced me to flight sim never played video games until he bought his first PC some twenty years ago and bought Microsoft Flight Combat Simulator, he was around 60 years old and could no longer fly real planes as his eyes and reflexes were no longer what they used to be.

Remember that if you go online you won't be able to pause the game ;)

About the configuration, well I'd advise you a Nvidia 1080 Ti it's still the best graphic card out there and should last a long while (I myself have an overclocked 1070 it's good enough tho and cheaper) and well a decent CPU at least a some recent I7 or perhaps one of these new AMD Rysen, some 16Gb of ram and of course a SSD drive for better loading times (not an external one).

I manage to run the game with ultra settings despite my old overclocked I5 4670K CPU but I might have to change my motherboard and CPU sometime soon.

I hope my modest advices helped.

See you in the skies or maybe on some discord or teamspeak channel for some multiplayer :hunter:

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy