I'm now shopping for an acceptable graphics card to replace the one I've had in my PC for the last two years, which is under the minimum for this simulation although it will run at low settings.  It's a GForce GT610.  I get around 9 frames a second from when I've checked on random views flying.  I know that's crazy low.  However it does fine with "World of Tanks Blitz" on it's average settings, as a by the way.  So, recommendations for a replacement card for average performance/very reasonable performance at near to highest settings?   I was looking at the GT or GTX 1030 1050 models and I'm trying to keep a reasonable cap on the price.  I may mail order or find one at Walmart.  Depends on price.  But at least when I'm waiting, I can still play IL-2 and keep picking up the basics.  Only began this week. 

Actually this is the first time I've really had another look at air sims since around 2005 or so when I was playing the first IL-2 quite a lot.  Clearly this is much more difficult although I know frame rate is a major contributor towards that.   By the way, my old Thrustmaster Precision Pro seems to work well enough for this.  It had a lot of dust on it sitting in a box for many, many years.

Regards,

D.M. Jolly

Edited by Jollymann64

If you can find a 1050 TI 4 gig or better, I think you'll be satisfied.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

It would help to know more about the other components in your system, e.g., CPU, RAM, as well as the resolution of the monitor you plan to use. That way, we can make an informed recommendation for upgrades.

• Upvote 1

I use the 1050Ti and it runs at about 60fps on most maps and about 45fps on Kuban. That is with my settings at mostly high & ultra.   

Note that the increase in performance from 1050 to 1060 is way more than the increase from 1060 to 1070 and 1070 to 1080 etc.  so if you get a good deal on something higher spec without being much more expensive then take it.

• Like 2

Rather thought assuming average might be OK, but yeah it's old for the system.  Dell Inspiron 580,  Intel Core, with 2.8 Ghz and 6 RAM.  Monitor resolution is 1920X1880 normally.

Edited by Jollymann64

I dunno if I would put any more money into that rig, it's going to fall short in the other areas too, like the old dual-core pentium processor. I would consider trying to find a 2nd gen Intel I series with a quad-core cpu in it, like the 2400 i5 cpu.. Would be a very good bang for the buck pared with a new graphics card.

You could also see if your Dell will take a Core 2 Extreme processor, I don't know if the motherboard will like it, but that would be a cheap upgrade.. Still not a great one though and might not really be worth the time putting new parts in a 10 year old computer.

As an example, something like this would be light years ahead of your current system and relatively close to the newer machines.. Still very capable of running IL-2 and not much more than $100, just add a small hard drive and use the Windows COA on the side.. Just a thought.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-ThinkCentre-M91p-Intel-Quad-Core-I5-2400-3-1-GHZ-8GB-RAM-NO-HDD/273068352011?hash=item3f9424620b:g:6nAAAOSwjXRXaEzP:sc:FedExHomeDelivery!53719!US!-1

Best of luck!

Edited by Scott_Steiner

I think this machine has some more good time on it.  This is one program only, and it runs so-so even with the old, old card I have now.  I'm totally not prepared to replace the machine now.  I've been narrowing down on the replacement card and I ought to be fine with that.  Not a bad idea with the processor, I was milling that one over.

4 hours ago, Scott_Steiner said:

I dunno if I would put any more money into that rig, it's going to fall short in the other areas too, like the old dual-core pentium processor.

4 hours ago, Scott_Steiner said:

You could also see if your Dell will take a Core 2 Extreme processor, I don't know if the motherboard will like it, but that would be a cheap upgrade.. Still not a great one though and might not really be worth the time putting new parts in a 10 year old computer.

It's possible that you have the wrong processor in mind - I'd guess that it's a Lynnfield, e.g., i5-760 with the 2.8 GHz base frequency. Still very old, but not quite that ancient.

However, I do agree that it's not worth putting much more money into the computer, as the CPU will quickly become limiting if you upgrade to a stronger graphics card. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend anything more expensive than a 1050 or perhaps 1050 Ti. 

2 hours ago, Jollymann64 said:

Not a bad idea with the processor, I was milling that one over.

The CPU upgrade is a possibility, but be sure to verify the exact model first. Even then, I wouldn't spend more than a few tens of dollars on it. As has been shown, far better hardware can be purchased for slightly more.

Edited by Mitthrawnuruodo
  • Upvote 1

The way I see this is like this.  A whole new up to date computer would cost $1000-1500.  I'm looking at spending only $150 to 200 (a tenth) on the new card, and I have in mind what I've been getting at with a 1050 or maybe a 1060 model.  It runs perfectly fine now generally, and even with other up to date and updating programs like "World of Tanks Blitz".  Not at full game graphics, but pretty decently.  Without changing anything else, I can't see this as being anything but a distinct and rightly massive improvement, which ought to cover me for the entire time I'm on IL-2 which will be years, until I get a new model computer where I will still run it then.   Also yes, it is an I5 760 at  2.8 Ghz, which I've had since about 2009 or so.  So yeah ten years.  I don't know how you guys are with cars, bikes, TV sets, whatever, but for me I try to get maximum use out of what I pay for.  I don't change over all that often.  With a computer,  for me it's a big pain in the arse too.   Here is a curious example.  I've got the same TV set I bought around 1993, which still works, but which I use normally just for DVDs.  I also got very sick of the way cordless phones sounded more than ten years ago so I went back to blocky standard Bell type telephones with bells.  I even have two rotary ones from the 1970s, where I have one of them normally plugged in!   So if I get two more years use out of my old Dell computer model, then that is just perfectly in line for my thinking. 

Right now my best buy for what I need seems to be a GTX 1060 with 6 GB for around $200.  I've seen a couple either new or just used briefly for that much lately.  But maybe that's a little more than I need, considering.

Edited by Jollymann64

Your power supply will dictate whether you can run a 1060 vs a 1050, I the 1050 will run happily with a 300w psu. I believe the 1060 requires more juice. May want to check for certain.

Edited by DaveP63
  • Thanks 1

I guess I'll address that when taking it in to get the card installed.  I'll just have to hope for the minimum hassle.  I looked into that and I hadn't considered it!  Looks like this needs 400W and the standard unit is only 350W.  So I can just get a replacement one ordered at the same time as the card.  

Edited by Jollymann64
  • Upvote 1

Okay, I thought you had a Core 2 Duo or equivalent Pentium! Even though it is pretty old, a first gen Intel I series with a quad-core is a massive step up over a Core 2 Duo.. I say yeah, upgrade the card and see how it runs, you can always upgrade the rest of the computer afterwards if it isn't panning out.

• Thanks 1

Ultimately I ordered an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 iGamer 6G OC - 6GB.  Ran about $210.  Along with the new power supply at 400 watts that's specifically for Dell Inspiron models.  I don't realty enjoy tech talk myself.  I only really think about it when I have to change something, then I have to cram on it.  If I did it too much I'd feel like a geek with a pocket protector and glasses with white tape in the middle!  However I am happy for the advice.

Edited by Jollymann64

On 3/8/2019 at 5:12 PM, Jollymann64 said:

The way I see this is like this.  A whole new up to date computer would cost $1000-1500.  I'm looking at spending only $150 to 200 (a tenth) on the new card, and I have in mind what I've been getting at with a 1050 or maybe a 1060 model.  It runs perfectly fine now generally, and even with other up to date and updating programs like "World of Tanks Blitz".  Not at full game graphics, but pretty decently.  Without changing anything else, I can't see this as being anything but a distinct and rightly massive improvement, which ought to cover me for the entire time I'm on IL-2 which will be years, until I get a new model computer where I will still run it then.   Also yes, it is an I5 760 at  2.8 Ghz, which I've had since about 2009 or so.  So yeah ten years.  I don't know how you guys are with cars, bikes, TV sets, whatever, but for me I try to get maximum use out of what I pay for.  I don't change over all that often.  With a computer,  for me it's a big pain in the arse too.   Here is a curious example.  I've got the same TV set I bought around 1993, which still works, but which I use normally just for DVDs.  I also got very sick of the way cordless phones sounded more than ten years ago so I went back to blocky standard Bell type telephones with bells.  I even have a rotary one from 1971 which I have plugged in!   So if I get two more years use out of my old Dell computer model, then that is just perfectly in line for my thinking. 

Right now my best buy for what I need seems to be a GTX 1060 with 6 GB for around $200.  I've seen a couple either new or just used briefly for that much lately.  But maybe that's a little more than I need, considering.

First I would like to mention that I have respect for your philosophy of using things to the max and change only when they die. Before they die you try to extend  their life as much as possible. If everybody would do that, then for sure we would have less pollution and ecology problems, and a smaller heap of discarded products that for sure can still do useful work. 

This said, making these choices means also that you will have to find the right "game" for the above tool. I want to say that you will have to select and play the games that are in adequacy with your tool, otherwise the philosophy mentioned above would become negative financially speaking because the money would not be spent in the most efficient way.

You choose to play the new IL2 BOX series. I understand by your comment that you are ready to accept an average to maybe even low level of "visual and game quality" to fit the hardware you have or at least the improved hardware. I have one comment on that.

We push the devs of this game to try to give us the most immersive, photorealistic maps with trees, rivers, lakes, superb models of all type of vehicles and artillery, humans, birds, dogs, extreme visual quality, map visibility at infinity, planes that we can see as far as the moon (I am kidding) physical dynamical model, realistic sounds, rain, clouds, snow, wind 4K quality texture, I hope 8K in the future, superb explosions with complex particle models, smoke and fire effects, realistic sea, ships, waves, fishes, massive flight formations with 20, 30 50 planes, VR support, and and and etc. etc. I stop here.  And Jason and his fantastic team try to satisfy us the best they can.

As a former pilot, (my judgement may be with some bias,) I try to have the right tool for the trade not only to fully appreciate to the max what the devs give us but to have enough under the hood to keep with what is coming for say two to three years. And yes unfortunately, I am sad to say, but most probably you will not be able to appreciate all of this.

Hence my question:  why would you play a flight simulator like IL2 BOX? There are many other non flight simulation games,  or the older IL2 1946  (Jason will kill me here for saying this 🙂 ) that would perfectly fit the PC you have for the coming years, at least until it freezes for good.

After all this digression, sorry for that, my advice is to be cautious when upgrading a ten year old proprietary design, with recent hardware, there are many causes for incompatibilities. IL2 is a CPU thread speed sensitive game, so you need some balance between the GPU perf and CPU. You may end up with a lot of FPS but still a slowmo game. The lower the resolution (less GPU work) and the more the CPU will be loaded hence a problem for older CPU's.

Just for the record, between an I5-760 and an I9 9900K the overall performance ratio is 600% in ten years. In terms of pure single thread  stock turbo frequency the gap is 1.7 Ghz, which means a 51% increase in frequency. So you see here that frequency has improved but the major improvement has been in CPU architecture. The GPU improvement between the GT 610 and the GTX 1060 6GB has been of 3120% or a factor of 31. For your OC card it is even more. We see here that for your processor basically the GTX 1060 is totally an overkill in terms of balance with the CPU i5-760 . Changing to the i7-880 (Dell says it is not supported but it works fine) that is the most powerful one you can put on the H57 chipset, is not worth the hassle, as you improve the CPU performance by a meager 8%. The GPU will not be loaded much, except if you put a 4K large monitor. Finally the Inspiron motherboard is with PCIe 2.0. The GTX 1060 uses PCIe 3.0, but the performance gain in games is marginal.

If you change CPU you may need to change the BIOS of the motherboard.

Hope will all go fine, and tell us what performance you are able to achieve, and what level of user experience and satisfaction.

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Thanks 1

Dude..I was running BOS 60fps locked ay 1200p on g4560, gtx1060 3gb, ssd and 8gb ddr4 2400....In mp full server. Smooth as butter.

• Like 1

IckyATLAS:  I think probably that the standards and the expectations for this sim, from a number of you are quite a lot higher than mine are.  Going into this, regardless of the settings or performance from my old hardware with the new addition coming up, it's still the most impressive air sim  I've ever played.   It's better than anything else, and I've determined that from the experience of this old graphics card and the lowest possible settings to have it still run!   So in that sense it's all good.   As long as it's ultimately playable without dropping into super slow motion, or crashing on average settings, which I'm expecting after the install,  then that's going to be fine by me.  Also if I didn't make this clear before,  what I'm looking at with the new card coming in is to get by with this machine,  using this program, and World of Tanks Blitz (Which has been another obsession for two years.) adequately for two-three years until I finally get a new machine.  I'm not saying this is a final solution.  It's just a practical and conservative one that I've already prepped for.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, blackram said:

Dude..I was running BOS 60fps locked ay 1200p on g4560, gtx1060 3gb, ssd and 8gb ddr4 2400....In mp full server. Smooth as butter.

The Pentium G4560 is much faster than the i5-760 (1,985 vs 1,200 PassMark) thanks to higher clocks and architectural improvements from Nehalem to Kaby Lake. That's a 65 % increase - the two processors are not comparable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mitthrawnuruodo said:

The Pentium G4560 is much faster than the i5-760 (1,985 vs 1,200 PassMark) thanks to higher clocks and architectural improvements from Nehalem to Kaby Lake. That's a 65 % increase - the two processors are not comparable.

That is true. My post was towards the fact that this sim (if not using VR) doesnt need super power pc.

• Like 1

I am sure his computer will probably run the game just fine at certain settings, was just kind of giggling at the thought of keeping a TV from 1993 when you can get a big old flat screen that takes up way less space for extremely cheap these days. I mean there's keeping old tech going cause you like to be cheap, but there comes a point in time when one must let go of the past and embrace the future. TV and other cable networks don't even distribute signal in 4:3 anymore so not even sure how that works. Not only that but calling everyone nerds, NERDS!! The gall.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Hey King of the Hill character guy:  I wasn't actually calling anyone a nerd if you look carefully.  So don't take offense (or take offense indirectly for others) when none is intended.  I was referring to how too much computer tech talk or spec talk kind of makes me feel a little like that.  Like a nerd or a geek that is.  Same effect as being compulsive with a cell phone I'd imagine.  But it's a necessary evil right now for the hardware talk I'd say.

As far as the TV goes, it's one of those things I just don't take too seriously.  Between the amount of commercials and the chattering Tupperware party fatties you often see, and the way news is presented now, I find it hard to be motived to even have TV service.  I pass on it a lot of years.  You wind up compensating to a large degree with the computer for news and with Netflix.  In the same way I pass on newspaper deliveries, except on the road or out of town when it seems more needed.  As for the three old telephones, they work without fail just like they did originally and they feel right.  For the one with the dialing dial ones, we had those standardly when I was a kid, and some of my relatives had them for much, much later and I get nostalgic with it.  I like them in the same way one likes old things or old furniture.  The way they make home phones now, they have an artificial feel about them and they sound like squeaking mice to me.  The other thing is batteries.  On traditional home phones you don't have to worry about that when they are plugged into the wall.  They never crap out.

I appreciate your expert opinionating on this conversation also.

Edited by Jollymann64

Ran BOS for the first time with the new GTX 1060 card, and the new monitor (Which I didn't realize I was going to have to buy too since my old one didn't have the specs for it.), and I have to say, it's running well at much higher settings, with a couple of the specifics areas (like clouds) higher, which makes flying and shooting MUCH easier.   Now I can use my skills from previous flight sims.  So far it's as good as I could of possibly expected out of this.  It looks fantastic and runs great, although I haven't ran it with a lot of aircraft yet.

Per:  

"Hope will all go fine, and tell us what performance you are able to achieve, and what level of user experience and satisfaction." 

Edited by Jollymann64
  • Upvote 1

Hey I've tried to get the FPS info from within the key settings menu, but for the key that's supposed to engage it I get nothing.  Default is "Backspace". What am I missing here?  I have got the interface from my new card with the info on the FPS, but I'd like to get the in-game one going too.  At one point I thought the ft. sec indicator on the HUD was for that,  but learned it wasn't eventually when I looked carefully.

17 minutes ago, Jollymann64 said:

Hey I've tried to get the FPS info from within the key settings menu, but for the key that's supposed to engage it I get nothing.  Default is "Backspace". What am I missing here?  I have got the interface from my new card with the info on the FPS, but I'd like to get the in-game one going too.  At one point I thought the ft. sec indicator on the HUD was for that,  but learned it wasn't eventually when I looked carefully.

Yeah it should work, not sure why it is not for you.

I just assigned the command in the game GUI to a button on my HOTAS and use it to toggle it on and off.

• Like 1

Yeah I finally noticed the green number in the upper right of the screen. Either I didn't notice it before, and it was there, or I got it to work from what I did when I reset the key again to "Backspace".  Thanks.

FPS on the random missions I've been doing has been running 60-100 fps on high settings so I have to be happy with that.  The game is running super for me so far! 

Edited by Jollymann64

2 hours ago, Jollymann64 said:

Yeah I finally noticed the green number in the upper right of the screen. Either I didn't notice it before, and it was there, or I got it to work from what I did when I reset the key again to "Backspace".  Thanks.

FPS on the random missions I've been doing has been running 60-100 fps on high settings so I have to be happy with that.  The game is running super for me so far! 

:good:

Sounds like you are golden.

• Like 1