Posted (edited)

So after playing with it for a while, I figure I better give my thoughts on it, Didn't want to post them last night so today here they are.

Start out with the bad.

The fit is absolutely horrible. Like atrociously bad. If you are like me and do not have large round face in the shape of a basketball you will be disappointed with the way it fits. The sides leak in light with a gap of about half an inch. I don't understand who could have designed this and said mass produce it. Just adding some type of tilt function to the top of the headset would have made this much better.  I have currently solved this issue by inserting foam sticks in between the pad and the headset to push them out a bit more closing the gap. I will order a VR cover to hopefully fix this issue. Should be back in stock by the 15th they said. I'd also like to order that top strap you can add to take some weight off the forehead, as when you wear it "properly" it's not to bad but when you tilt it up to get the screen closer to your face the pressure becomes greater and wears on you after a bit.

Next is software, the software is easy to use in a way, if you want to play il2 its very easy to setup you just download the mixed reality for steamvr software off steam, and the headset will run no problem, but overall not impressed with the software in respects to options, similar to the oculos you cannot change any settings for the headset without doing your homework. Negative in my book.

Performance would be the next thing, pretty disappointed so far with how it's running, much lower framerates than with my oculus even at the same resolutions leading me to believe something else is up, maybe oculus software interfering, bad steamvr beta update? No idea, but for performance to be as bad as it is it's disappointing. I've tried fiddling with the windowsmr settings with reprojection and some scaling option but it's all a pita.

The GOOD!

The display, what can I say, it's marvelous. It's as close as you can get to playing on a monitor the picture is absolutely brilliant. Especially in il2, it's so, so good. Anyone complaining about waiting for VR to get higher res can shut up it's already here, this things mind blowing. One negative is the halo rings from the lenses, which sometimes you can see, never saw these on my oculus even though you can see them on the lenses as well. This things incredible for watching media, movies look incredible in big screen beta, still want to try out some other things, but it really is just amazing.

The sounds pretty good.

Build quality seems ok, again oculus really did a great job on their headset, the fit on the oculus and the comfort are bar none, it's the nicest fitting headset you can get imo.

So overall I am a bit disappointed, but the clarity and picture make up for every negative I've had to deal with, if that VR cover comes and solves my fitment issue then really it's a solid pickup, just hope I can improve performance a bit, after being satisfied with the frame rate in my oculus and now back to the drawing board with this headset it's a bit annoying. I'd like to also add I swear performance has been dropping in general lately, my oculus was starting to give me troubles here very recently as well, weird.

Hopefully that's not too all over the place, never been a writer.

Edited by JonRedcorn

I got one about a month ago, and can vouch for the lousy fit. I am waiting on the VRCover thingy to be back in stock as well, and that should fix the headache due to the shop class visor type adjustment. I am getting pretty good frame rates, so make sure your video drivers, etc. are up to snuff - the usual stuff. I know it's annoying that you can't adjust much without work, but the picture is worth it, in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SCG_Schneemann said:

I got one about a month ago, and can vouch for the lousy fit. I am waiting on the VRCover thingy to be back in stock as well, and that should fix the headache due to the shop class visor type adjustment. I am getting pretty good frame rates, so make sure your video drivers, etc. are up to snuff - the usual stuff. I know it's annoying that you can't adjust much without work, but the picture is worth it, in my opinion. 

Care to say your settings? I have everything as up to date as possible.

I doubt that the "+" was designed with flight simmers in mind. The resolution and FOV are better than those of the Rift, no question. I do not though believe that the "+" is an advancement over the original Odyssey. The anti-SDE feature is a placebo effect in that it is only noticeable at the very center of the FOV. Once away from center the concentric "rings" transform tracked objects into smudges. Another result is that the headset position needs to be adjusted frequently in-game because the "sweet spot" is smaller than with the original Odyssey. The anti-SDE effect is certainly worthwhile if you have the luxury of looking only at the image center. Unfortunately that is not the case in combat flight sims.

Posted (edited)

Just to insure the Oculus Runtime is not interfering in any way,  you can use the Oculus Tray Tool and disable the Oculus Service.

24 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I doubt that the "+" was designed with flight simmers in mind. The resolution and FOV are better than those of the Rift, no question. I do not though believe that the "+" is an advancement over the original Odyssey. The anti-SDE feature is a placebo effect in that it is only noticeable at the very center of the FOV. Once away from center the concentric "rings" transform tracked objects into smudges. Another result is that the headset position needs to be adjusted frequently in-game because the "sweet spot" is smaller than with the original Odyssey. The anti-SDE effect is certainly worthwhile if you have the luxury of looking only at the image center. Unfortunately that is not the case in combat flight sims.

Odyssey + has the same FOV as Vive and Rift, 110 degrees.

Resolution is the main difference.

Edited by dburne

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, SCG_Schneemann said:

For right or wrong...

image.thumb.png.fc8c3b4b5abd531a2fd40f1a09503943.png

Whats your steamVR SS settings at?

Just based on the quick mission I ran these settings are excellent, much better than what I was running. I am using blurred filter though, also leaving the manual override for SS resolution OFF. No SS. Picture is very clear.

41 minutes ago, Dagwoodyt said:

I am not seeing that at all, I am seeing a very large sweet spot with an incredible picture lacking almost 95% of all SDE. Looks amazing imo. The difference between watching a movie in my rift vs this thing is night and day.

Edited by JonRedcorn

I think the Steam SS is 100%, or not adding anything. I haven't messed with the sharp or blurry much. I groundpound, so am not really worried on spotting planes. I'll switch and see if it makes any difference.

You'll want to set the SS a bit above 100%, the setting should also display the resolution its pushing as you move the slider along with percentage, at least match the native res of the headset, which is a bit above 100% on the scale, steam isn't specific to one type of HMD.  You'll have to restart the game every time you adjust the SS slider for it to change.

The visuals are grand, it's nice to admire the paint scheme of your enemy, ID his type, and see whether he's packing wing guns or not fast and without zooming.  Easier to judge angles and speeds, and shooting, hell yeah!  

Posted (edited)

Use the total of 140% or 150% not higher for the O+ and do not forget the guy here above, did not enabled the VR check box, so is this his VR setting or the flat world settings 🙂

The whole Steam adjustments is rather complex and I think also the O+ in combination to IL2. I’m still trying to figure out what is the best settings. Thats why I’m still trying to make  that FCAT VR  running, which still does not because some administrator rights. Think we need a real VR benchmark tool like FCAT VR to see exact on what the adjustments do to your CPU/GPU frametime. 

About the light bleeding, I keep the sun out my mancave and it is now rather dim. The detection camera on the headset is still detecting movements because my monitor is still on. But the new cover seems to do that job also very well, would like to hear your opinion on that cover. 

Edited by Dutch2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

Use the total of 140% or 150% not higher for the O+ and do not forget the guy here above, did not enabled the VR check box, so is this his VR setting or the flat world settings 🙂

The whole Steam adjustments is rather complex and I think also the O+ in combination to IL2. I’m still trying to figure out what is the best settings. Thats why I’m still trying to make  that FCAT VR  running, which still does not because some administrator rights. Think we need a real VR benchmark tool like FCAT VR to see exact on what the adjustments do to your CPU/GPU frametime. 

About the light bleeding, I keep the sun out my mancave and it is now rather dim. The detection camera on the headset is still detecting movements because my monitor is still on. But the new cover seems to do that job also very well, would like to hear your opinion on that cover. 

So far I've found the absolute best image quality is when I just completely disable the manual override and use 2xAA in game, 4xaa is better but I don't really need it as there's very little jagged edges with 2xaa and I'd rather have the performance, I also notice that the game seems to be running alright, maybe I just needed to restart the computer, if I set steamvr to manual override and leave it at 100% the image is very poor looking with rough edges everywhere.

There's a setting for the WMR headsets you can set it to 1 or 2 but all this does is let you run higher supersampling I believe and doesn't actually change the resolution, setting it to 1 limits the max res to something like 15XXx 15XX or whatever and setting it to 2 lets you go above 2k. Regardless I am pretty happy with the settings right now, performance could be better. Maybe one day I'll grab a 2080ti if the prices ever come down. Put it this way the headset is very capable of displaying a truly magnificent image in VR but I don't think we have the power to push it all the way. I am sure DCS will be much worse than this game. I have only tried IL2 with the new headset.

I just tried Elite Dangerous with this thing, and the only word I can come up with is, incredible. You can read EVERYTHING, the image is so gosh darn clear it's blowing my freaking mind. Runs great too. Might have to dive back into elite for a while, setting up the controls is a total pita.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Posted (edited)

So after fiddling with this darn headset for hours now at this point, I am seriously thinking of returning it, my computers just not good enough to run the damn thing. Il2's performance seems to be getting worse, and I can't see the bodenplatte map running well at all. I keep flying over stalingrad in winter fiddling with settings, with 8 planes, and the only settings I can seem to get to run well are low preset. Everything else is dips into the 70's 60's even. It's not possible to get a decent image quality and run moderate settings. I know some of you guys are fine with playing in these headsets in slideshow style but I can't do it. If it's not nearly locked at 90fps the gameplay is horrible. I am pretty much out of options and a 2080ti is not on the cards. Just pretty overall disappointed with it.

Thinking about giving the whole VR thing the shelf here since I just can't seem to get the performance necessary to run the headsets the way they are meant to be run. No combo of resolution tweaks, or AA or whatever seem to do a whole lot. Low res high AA, high res no AA or a mix in between, just doesn't matter really.

I remember right after we got that huge performance patch how great the rift was running, nearly 90fps all the time on great settings, but it started getting worse with every new patch. This thing just doubles down with the higher resolution and honestly makes lower settings look even worse since the screens are so much clearer. Might just pack it all up boys, maybe VR is a bit too niche. I loath headtracking though, bumming me out.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Posted (edited)

I think if your shooting for locked at 90fps, then your going to be unhappy with VR. I run in the 60-70s most of time and i'm just fine.

Turn up the graphics and live with anything over 50. My setup on occasion appears locked at 45 at times and it looks acceptable. Other times the fps shoots up to 80's and it too looks fine. Up high I see 90 but rarely down low. 

And its very playable.

We have roughly the same machine. Your cpu is one gen newer.

bob

Edited by jokkmccarthy

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jokkmccarthy said:

I think if your shooting for locked at 90fps, then your going to be unhappy with VR. I run in the 60-70s most of time and i'm just fine.

Turn up the graphics and live with anything over 50. My setup on occasion appears locked at 45 at times and it looks acceptable. Other times the fps shoots up to 80's and it too looks fine. Up high I see 90 but rarely down low. 

And its very playable.

bob

Its just not playable to me though, constant stutters, glitching visuals, these things aren't for me. Like I said for some reason most people on here seem to be ok with playing the game at a slide show. Do you play online? What headset do you have?

Also like I said right after that performance patch dropped FPS was beautiful, it was nearly always at 80-90 fps and it's been just getting worse and worse ever since then.

Edited by JonRedcorn

Posted (edited)

on ground visualsI don't see a stutter and have O+ also.

My only issue is the low contrast of the enema planes and I don't always see them as soon as I'd like

I'm sure you've tried many of the suggestions.

SS at 130 (never higher)

AA on (2x or 4x, either works)

hud is a killer (I normally leave off with a toggle on joystick to turn on by demand)

and

landscape blurred seemed to have biggest impact on ground viz.

I have my settings on ultra (if you want specifics let me know)

bob

Edited by jokkmccarthy

There's a huge difference when flying over barren scenery by yourself in the middle of the day to flying over stalingrad or that port on kuban with 10 planes flying around and smoke and other effects everywhere. When the headsets in the 60-70s the tracking stutters all over. The image isn't smooth either. If you are just flying by yourself or with one other plane on empty missions of course it's going to be decent. But flying in the middle of a furball online it's another story.

8 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

There's a huge difference when flying over barren scenery by yourself in the middle of the day to flying over stalingrad or that port on kuban with 10 planes flying around and smoke and other effects everywhere. When the headsets in the 60-70s the tracking stutters all over. The image isn't smooth either. If you are just flying by yourself or with one other plane on empty missions of course it's going to be decent. But flying in the middle of a furball online it's another story.

I know this could be snake oil or typical internet fake news, but did you roll back windows 1809 update? 

21 minutes ago, Dutch2 said:

I know this could be snake oil or typical internet fake news, but did you roll back windows 1809 update? 

I searched for the update that was said to be causing issues and couldn't find it anywhere, so I don't think I ever downloaded it in the first place.

Posted (edited)

Think I am going to return it, gunna try and move away from VR I think, it's just not ready, pc's aren't powerful enough for the headsets that are out right now. CPU's need a massive increase in ipc or game devs need to figure something out, either way the games just not playable for me with this headset. Plus I fired up DCS and I couldn't read a damn thing with the odyssey, everything was super blurry. Even at 2.0 SS, plus the framerates even worse in that game. Maybe 10 years from now VR will be worth it. As of right now I've spent close to 2k chasing the VR dream and have left utterly disappointed.

Got my headtracker working pretty well, just gunna stick to that.

Edited by JonRedcorn
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Think I am going to return it, gunna try and move away from VR I think, it's just not ready, pc's aren't powerful enough for the headsets that are out right now. CPU's need a massive increase in ipc or game devs need to figure something out, either way the games just not playable for me with this headset. Plus I fired up DCS and I couldn't read a damn thing with the odyssey, everything was super blurry. Even at 2.0 SS, plus the framerates even worse in that game. Maybe 10 years from now VR will be worth it. As of right now I've spent close to 2k chasing the VR dream and have left utterly disappointed.

Got my headtracker working pretty well, just gunna stick to that.

Salutations,

Agreed and amen brother. Your insights and comments bolster my decision to NOT take the plunge into VR. I'm watching and waiting for better performance across the board.  :good:

6 minutes ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

Agreed and amen brother. Your insights and comments bolster my decision to NOT take the plunge into VR. I'm watching and waiting for better performance across the board.  :good:

What disappoints me the most is the utter lack of improvements in the CPU hardware sphere. A intel 2500k is barely slower than a brand new 9600k, i5 now and i5 10 years ago are barely faster. It wasn't till AMD came back into the game with ryzen that stuff started picking up again. Intels literally done NOTHING for the last decade. We've had increases in GPU performance in the thousands of percents and in cpus we're looking at maybe 25% increases in ipc in the last ten years. It's a god damn travesty. You can keep throwing all the cores in the world at stuff but if software doesn't effectively utilize it it doesn't mean anything. We need some magical 8 ghz 300+ single core ipc scoreing cpu to really make VR work. I read the DCS devs kind of figured out what was hammering performance in their game and it's the terrain engine and something to do with too many draw calls. It's just crazy to me that I can get 180 fps in 2d mode with everything and I mean every setting maxed, but throw it on VR and we're talking drops into the 40's on settings that a igpu could handle in 2d. Somethings gotta change.

Really just tired of getting my ass handed to me online in this thing. I can definitely see how people who only play singleplayer and can enjoy it for what it is, but after 300 hours in VR the wow factor kind of goes and your left with well, terrible graphics and terrible performance. If I could get the damn game to run smoothly without looking like an atrocity that'd really be awesome.

• Upvote 2

Any headset with current technology sporting higher resolution than first gen like Rift and Vive is going to perform worse no two ways around that.

The technology itself needs to get better to squeeze more performance when using higher resolution. Not to mention what we do here pushes the edge of the envelope for VR pretty good.

That is main reason I am still sticking with my Rift. And I game with it mostly every day many hours a week and still love it even with the drawbacks. Have been doing so since Jan 15th 2017.  Would not trade the experience for anything. Luckily for me I am a Single Player only guy so do not have to deal with the limitations as much as the MP guys. Plus I also enjoy some games in my Oculus Library very much.

I am hoping the next headset from Oculus - Rift S, or even Valve's upcoming headset, will have some tech improvements to help bridge that gap between performance and resolution a little.

But yes VR is still in the very early stages and certainly not everyone is going to be as happy with it as I.

3 minutes ago, dburne said:

Any headset with current technology sporting higher resolution than first gen like Rift and Vive is going to perform worse no two ways around that.

The technology itself needs to get better to squeeze more performance when using higher resolution. Not to mention what we do here pushes the edge of the envelope for VR pretty good.

That is main reason I am still sticking with my Rift. And I game with it mostly every day many hours a week and still love it even with the drawbacks. Have been doing so since Jan 15th 2017.  Would not trade the experience for anything. Luckily for me I am a Single Player only guy so do not have to deal with the limitations as much as the MP guys. Plus I also enjoy some games in my Oculus Library very much.

I am hoping the next headset from Oculus - Rift S, or even Valve's upcoming headset, will have some tech improvements to help bridge that gap between performance and resolution a little.

But yes VR is still in the very early stages and certainly not everyone is going to be as happy with it as I.

Foveated rendering, is what many seem to think, will enable the performance and the image quality. Maybe in the future, nobodies pulled it off yet. The rifts a great headset, with slightly higher res screens it'd be a great one. Really I just need high clouds on the balanced preset, that would do wonders. I know there's a mod for it but it's for offline only unfortunately.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:05 AM, JonRedcorn said:

Its just not playable to me though, constant stutters, glitching visuals, these things aren't for me. Like I said for some reason most people on here seem to be ok with playing the game at a slide show. Do you play online? What headset do you have?

Also like I said right after that performance patch dropped FPS was beautiful, it was nearly always at 80-90 fps and it's been just getting worse and worse ever since then.

Hi Jon,

Sorry to hear you are considering shelving your VR rig.

I am inclined to think that it is some kind of background process  in Windows that meses up with the frame rate. I have kept my graphic settings static, and the performance varies greatly.  Sometimes I experience great FPS in very graphically-complex missions (high clouds, large number of planes involved), other times I experience crappy FPS in what I would  consider simpler scenarios. Sometimes, the degradation occurs in the midle of the mission running smoothly, while other times a degraded mission begins to spontaneously run smoothly after a while. 

When I experience poor FPS  I do tend to notice my HD led blinking very frequently. 

Unfortunately, the simulation seems to be running several independent processes that are intercommunicated,  so enabling Game mode for il2.exe (a mode that is supposed to give your gaming session very high priority) seems to hurt more than help, as I guess Windows fails to notice the secondary processes are inter-related  and are given very low priority to run.

Cheers!

53 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Foveated rendering, is what many seem to think, will enable the performance and the image quality. Maybe in the future, nobodies pulled it off yet. The rifts a great headset, with slightly higher res screens it'd be a great one. Really I just need high clouds on the balanced preset, that would do wonders. I know there's a mod for it but it's for offline only unfortunately.

The pieces are there, I read that NVidia is introducing support for foveated rendering in its drivers., Pimax has shown great screen resolutions and HTC I believe has state-of-the-art eye tracking working in their higher end sets.   Now if they pulled everything togeter…  :P

Odyssey + here, mine looks amazing and its very smooth at ultra settings, loving it!

Maybe you have some sort of problem with your PC, and seeing your frustration better go back to 2D.

In one of your post you said no waiting for  next gen VR with O+  the great graphics are here, then  you said graphics are horrible?

Very inconsistent opinions on your part.

Salutations,

I have remained very consistent in my interest in and my opinion concerning the viability or quality of current VR technology. I'll watch and wait. 🌝

Anyone play iRacing in VR too? The new build last week they released something for newer Nvidia cards called Single Pass Stereo, which most users have reported a 25% bump in fps in VR with it on, or able to crank up more eye candy. Does IL2 have this or is this something that could be added down the road to give our PC's a boost for VR?

1 hour ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

I have remained very consistent in my interest in and my opinion concerning the viability or quality of current VR technology. I'll watch and wait. 🌝

Sorry that was not directed at you, but Jon.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Odyssey + here, mine looks amazing and its very smooth at ultra settings, loving it!

Maybe you have some sort of problem with your PC, and seeing your frustration better go back to 2D.

In one of your post you said no waiting for  next gen VR with O+  the great graphics are here, then  you said graphics are horrible?

Very inconsistent opinions on your part.

The graphics don't look great when you have to turn them way down and run a low SS setting to get a playable frame rate. The game doesn't run well on ultra settings in any headset, you must play it at a very, very low framerate. You can just look at the numbers from people running the chilwili test at those settings and getting framerates on average in the 40-50 range. That's not really playable. The frame rate varies wildly, one moment you are getting a decent picture, usually up high nothing around, then a forest drops the frame rate, or flying over stalingrad, the performance is not consistent. I know you guys who run the game maxed out in headsets and enjoy it, that's great.

Don't think anything is wrong with my computer, we just have a very different opinion on what constitutes a smooth and playable framerate for this game in VR.

I don't get how some people don't understand how VR works, getting 90 fps in VR isn't really a want it's a need. The headsets made to run smoothly and give the best image quality at that framerate, anything below that and it doesn't look good. It's not like playing on a monitor where getting 90 frames or 60 frames makes no difference. Doesn't work like that in VR. There's a 60hz mode for the odyssey that would work really well if the games scale didn't go completely beserk when you turn it on, the games like in mini scale, but it's smooth and can tolerate the lower frame rate while still being smooth and giving a great picture. Hope that gets fixed.

Got the odyssey working in 60hz mode, it's a real treat to not see ghosting everywhere and other weird visuals while not getting 90 fps, there's a hair of flickering barely noticeable, brightness seems to be lowered for some reason too. Works great though.

I don't want to give up on VR, I just don't want to fiddle with the damn things anymore.

Edited by JonRedcorn

3 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

You can fix the scale to whatever size you want with 3D Migoto mod.

This is what I have been doing.

In windows mixed reality software there is a setting for the headset to change it from 90hz to 60hz, I tried the 60hz setting which messed the scale up but I just tried it again and it worked. It makes the game playable at 60fps. Which is really sweet. There's a few drawbacks like flickering and whatnot but it works so well. Gunna give it a try for a few days. No ghosting, no visual artifacts, nothing just smooth gameplay at 60fps.

• Like 1

@ JonRedcom

REally wish I would be able to get my hands on one of these headsets to compare with what I fly in.  As it is - I can't comprehend the need for constant 90fps frame rate as it's not needed on the Pimax 8K.  30's might be pushing it but 40 and above and it is smooth as and that is without PiTool Smoothing which by the way doesn't work well with Il2 due to Il2 requiring Parallel Projection Compatibility enabled.

I wouldn't give up on VR and as a person who has recently jumped on VR, I'm not going back although - yes there are teething problems.  Observations about CPU improvements over the last decade are astute.  Give Intel a monopoly and they'll be happy to sit on it and drip feed the public for much hard earned $$$.  They have been caught with their pants down though recently, both in tech and also with security. 

What would be nice though is some offloading of aspects of Il2 calcs onto different threads, like AI, Flight Modelling, Weather Calcs apart from Visual and on their own threads and scaling with CPU core count as demands are required in sim.  Still, last night in VR I had a great Stalingrad fight take place in Career just short of the city where there were 24 or more planes dualing it out over land targets with clouds and smooth at a target render res vertical of 3024.

Our flights of 109 E7 Attackers with F4 escort came up against I16's , La 5's and Yak 1 69's.  Was bloody hard work trying to keep the Ground Pounders  alive and get back to base in one piece.  Doesn't help that the ground target was between 2 VVS airfields.  Just can't replicate the feeling with a head tracker on a 27" monitor.

I think that iRacing new tech is the dropping the need for Parallel Projections which is where the performance increase has come from.  2019 is where VR comes into its own.  At the moment it is still early but I think 2nd half of the year will be very interesting.

14 minutes ago, blitze said:

@ JonRedcom

REally wish I would be able to get my hands on one of these headsets to compare with what I fly in.  As it is - I can't comprehend the need for constant 90fps frame rate as it's not needed on the Pimax 8K.  30's might be pushing it but 40 and above and it is smooth as and that is without PiTool Smoothing which by the way doesn't work well with Il2 due to Il2 requiring Parallel Projection Compatibility enabled.

I wouldn't give up on VR and as a person who has recently jumped on VR, I'm not going back although - yes there are teething problems.  Observations about CPU improvements over the last decade are astute.  Give Intel a monopoly and they'll be happy to sit on it and drip feed the public for much hard earned $$$.  They have been caught with their pants down though recently, both in tech and also with security. 

What would be nice though is some offloading of aspects of Il2 calcs onto different threads, like AI, Flight Modelling, Weather Calcs apart from Visual and on their own threads and scaling with CPU core count as demands are required in sim.  Still, last night in VR I had a great Stalingrad fight take place in Career just short of the city where there were 24 or more planes dualing it out over land targets with clouds and smooth at a target render res vertical of 3024.

Our flights of 109 E7 Attackers with F4 escort came up against I16's , La 5's and Yak 1 69's.  Was bloody hard work trying to keep the Ground Pounders  alive and get back to base in one piece.  Doesn't help that the ground target was between 2 VVS airfields.  Just can't replicate the feeling with a head tracker on a 27" monitor.

I think that iRacing new tech is the dropping the need for Parallel Projections which is where the performance increase has come from.  2019 is where VR comes into its own.  At the moment it is still early but I think 2nd half of the year will be very interesting.

I agree, I just get frustrated sometimes with the constant and never ending "tinkering". I was playing last night on the monitor and just thinking the whole time, this is so much better in VR. I love the graphics, they are gorgeous in 2d, but when it comes down to the fight VR is unbeatable. The ability to quickly look around above the nose, around the side, where ever, it always beats the trackir. I've even got my trackir working perfectly, its responsive and quick, and feels great, but not as great as VR. I think with this 60hz thing I've got working now my experience will be much improved.

Every headset is different, but at the same time, 90hz is there for a reason, it gives the smoothest experience. At less there is always drawbacks. We can also have all the advancements implemented for the games to run better but unless the devs can find the time to implement them then we get no benefit. It's like with the ASW 2.0, devs have to implement it. VR's just not selling well enough right now to get that kind of dedication. Without oculus propping up the VR market I think it would have died off already.

True, Oculus has done a lot to develop titles for VR but they have sat on their hands with hardware development.  Also, like PC's VR hardware providers need to come together and support open standards.  This is happening but slowly.

Steam has also been doing a lot with OpenVR and that is commendable but some of their settings menus for VR hardware - oh dear and most of their VR supported titles - Meh.  The baby got thrown out with the bath water.  I do hope we are sitting on the cusp of a break through and if you chat with any former Vive or Oculus owner about the fps requirement and their Pimax headsets - I think many would tell you how surprised they are at how well it works at lower speeds.  Maybe the recent SteamVR smoothing addition also helps with that.  Anyway - Il2 in VR just rocks.  I wish I could dial it up with my rig for fluid stupid res simming but - alas I can't but Balanced at 40+ fps and a vertical render target of 3024 - it ain't bad.  I could probably go 4320 on Low with 40+

I might give it a whirl and see how I fare. 

2 hours ago, blitze said:

True, Oculus has done a lot to develop titles for VR but they have sat on their hands with hardware development.  Also, like PC's VR hardware providers need to come together and support open standards.  This is happening but slowly.

I would probably not say Oculus has been sitting on their hands.

They are working on the technology, released the Oculus Go toward end of 2018, will be releasing the Quest here soon, and likely the Rift S before end of this year.

Now have they gone fast enough for PC-VR? Most would say no, but they have not been standing still.

But one thing I feel sure of, they will not release a PC-VR headset that only top tier PC owners will be able to run.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Honestly, the only negative is identifying friend or foe. In a furball its a mess.

I can live with everything else. 

My frame rate is less than optimum, but its very regular not choppy so I don't see any issues.

bob

Edited by jokkmccarthy

2 hours ago, jokkmccarthy said:

Honestly, the only negative is identifying friend or foe. In a furball its a mess.

I can live with everything else. 

My frame rate is less than optimum, but its very regular not choppy so I don't see any issues.

bob

Yeah, from a distance it is - hmm is that a dark grey or light grey plane.  Really, the only time I am 100% sure is when I am about to squeeze the trigger.  I must learn to differentiate Axis gun fire from VVS.

I can bang along at around 60fps on High with a target res of 2453 x 2160  or around the 40's on Balanced on 3434 x 3024.

Although AntiAliasing will smooth things out - it also blurs the landscape and makes spotting harder too.  Prefer to not have it on for that reason.  I would play Low but I like my HDR cockpit panel.  Maybe later in the year I will build a rig but for now - I live with what I have.

PC VR is being worked on so you don't need a top tier rig to play it on especially for the majority of VR titles out there.  Sims on the other hand - well they are demanding by nature and to be honest - I am still impressed with what I can get on a upper mid level setup.  I mean a laptop with boost clock of 3.8Ghz which is lucky to actually see 3.6Ghz with a 2080 eGPU.  Not the highest performing system but still able to do a reasonable job.

Anyway - it is a pretty good experience and I see much potential in development of the tech over the near future, not to mention for far sighted eyes - it's a relief not to have to squint at dots on a screen.  Even video watching is better in Virtual Desktop.  YTube Mtb vids people - ))

On 3/15/2019 at 1:21 PM, JonRedcorn said:

I agree, I just get frustrated sometimes with the constant and never ending "tinkering". I was playing last night on the monitor and just thinking the whole time, this is so much better in VR. I love the graphics, they are gorgeous in 2d, but when it comes down to the fight VR is unbeatable. The ability to quickly look around above the nose, around the side, where ever, it always beats the trackir. I've even got my trackir working perfectly, its responsive and quick, and feels great, but not as great as VR. I think with this 60hz thing I've got working now my experience will be much improved.

Every headset is different, but at the same time, 90hz is there for a reason, it gives the smoothest experience. At less there is always drawbacks. We can also have all the advancements implemented for the games to run better but unless the devs can find the time to implement them then we get no benefit. It's like with the ASW 2.0, devs have to implement it. VR's just not selling well enough right now to get that kind of dedication. Without oculus propping up the VR market I think it would have died off already.

What is your read out in FPS onscreen?