Han

Developer Diary 218 - Discussion

22 minutes ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

Bruxelles i would think.

Grt M

Yes thank you, you're right, it must be "Cathédrale Saints-Michel-et-Gudule de Bruxelles"

22 minutes ago, 615sqn_Buzz said:

Yes thank you, you're right, it must be "Cathédrale Saints-Michel-et-Gudule de Bruxelles"

Yes it is

With pictures like these  in the last few dev diaries I could be tempted over to the dark side by paying an interest in the WWII projects as well, or at least buying  the extra maps just to fly the WWI crates over.

I'm going to try and stay strong but at some point there will be mention of a Mosquito and then you'll have struck my Achilles heel and I'll have to give in and take a break from the camel!

Keep up the good work

HH

Superb!!!

The WHOLE TEAM was and is FANTASTIC! (everybody included)

You always surprise me!

All in this DD is superb. Honestly i cant wait for the P-38 and everything else being in developement.

I LOVE THIS TEAM,

THANK YOU for your hard work!!!

Edited by Yankee_One

Great work on the map and on the planes that we will see.
The B-25 I hope you can fly ...
Thank you very much to the team
:salute:

Excellent update!!

It will be a huge change to have so many big settlements in the map. Very much looking forward to it.

The P38 looks incredibly good, i am starting to get excited.

Finally, that B25 is just screaming to be flyable. The external model is looking great and i hope there is time after the official release to make the cockpit and add it as a premium aircraft :)

If the likes given for a DD is an indication then BOBP is about twice as popular here as it is on the Russian Forum.

Likes.jpg

I think one of the notable things about this DD definitely the amount of 'likes' that have been flagged up but also the enthusiasm for a flyable Mitchell... one of my ALL TIME fave units (luckily along with the Havoc!!). I would definitely pay good good money for the chance to have one of those absolute beauties in my hangar. The whole BoB project is delivering nothing bu absolute gold so thanks to all the team, genuinely!! :clapping::good:

18 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

If the likes given for a DD is an indication then BOBP is about twice as popular here as it is on the Russian Forum.

Likes.jpg

Could it be because the Russian forum only covers Russia (+ neighbors) and this one covers the rest of the world?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jade_Monkey said:

Could it be because the Russian forum only covers Russia (+ neighbors) and this one covers the rest of the world?

It depends what you mean with 'rest of the world'.

Not so much simmers here from Africa, China, India, Latin America.

For my feeling "our forum" is mainly Europe, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

1 minute ago, Uufflakke said:

It depends what you mean with 'rest of the world'.

Not so much simmers here from Africa, China, India, Latin America.

For my feeling "our forum" is mainly Europe, US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

I mean everyone else who doesnt speak Russian.

21 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

I mean everyone else who doesnt speak Russian.

I wonder what the overall player base is like though. Like, are there as many players in Russia as in all of North America, or even more? 

9 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

I wonder what the overall player base is like though. Like, are there as many players in Russia as in all of North America, or even more? 

Total Members in the forums, this can give you an overall player base.

Definitely the majority do single player.

2 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Likes.jpg

I wonder what the numbers look like on the Kuban devblogs

Fantastic update!

The Cinquantenaire Park in Brussels looked a bit weird to me until I realised the two big halls on either side of the Triumphal Arch were not modelled: gle_0306_dxo.jpg

One of the two halls contains a fantastic collection of historic aircraft btw! Including very many WWI and WWII types...

Hall_Air.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great P-38 model! @=FB=VikS, @Sneaksie, @Gavrick, I was noticing that a small bit of detail might be missing from the rocket launcher mounting: there is a square plate that should be attached to the fuselage:

_P38_1.jpg.112bdc12562dfcf32fccb13072f9ef59.jpg.878ca18a87508aeaa94ae5dfe3439026.jpg

P-38J-10-LO_42-67842_with_bazooka_rocket_tubes_squadron_number_4_of_the_459th_Fighter_Squadron_2.thumb.jpg.205d8969c607bd1d5cf2b2fe7f7ea715.jpg

Not sure why people are freaking out about the P-38 dive brakes. They are clearly modeled (outline) on the underwing shot (#2) in the Dev blog.

P-38.jpg

• Like 1

Cities look very nice. But we are at war, and I hope that this time buildings will be destroyable. Many of these cities ended up in a heap of rubble at the end of the war.

Just as a clarification for anyone unaware or who may have missed it!

I'm sure that the majority of buildings in the GB series are destructible and BoBP will be no different.

This had already been confirmed in the discussion section of dd 202.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Not sure why people are freaking out about the P-38 dive brakes. They are clearly modeled (outline) on the underwing shot (#2) in the Dev blog.

P-38.jpg

Guy who posted that he dont see them corrected him self quickly after, i think because of base color of early modesl details that are there are hard noticable, so thats why ppl miss them.

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

Great P-38 model! @=FB=VikS, @Sneaksie, @Gavrick, I was noticing that a small bit of detail might be missing from the rocket launcher mounting: there is a square plate that should be attached to the fuselage:

_P38_1.jpg.112bdc12562dfcf32fccb13072f9ef59.jpg.878ca18a87508aeaa94ae5dfe3439026.jpg

P-38J-10-LO_42-67842_with_bazooka_rocket_tubes_squadron_number_4_of_the_459th_Fighter_Squadron_2.thumb.jpg.205d8969c607bd1d5cf2b2fe7f7ea715.jpg

I think you can see that they modeled that, even on picture you posted if you look hard youll see that square plate, but not as noticable as if model is shown with skin

4 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Likes.jpg

if they are not so interested in west airplanes maybe give them Yak-9T to buy :)

1 hour ago, IckyATLAS said:

Cities look very nice. But we are at war, and I hope that this time buildings will be destroyable. Many of these cities ended up in a heap of rubble at the end of the war.

Umm, buildings are already destroyable. Load up a career mode mission and see for yourself. 

8 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

I think you can see that they modeled that, even on picture you posted if you look hard youll see that square plate, but not as noticable as if model is shown with skin

Yeah, on closer examination, it looks like it is there. Just wanted to be sure, though. 🙂

Nice choice a B-25C I believe...Now if we only had the Hornett & a Japan map, it would just enough be right....

Early Launchpro.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Nice choice a B-25C I believe...Now if we only had the Hornett & a Japan map, it would just enough be right....

Early Launchpro.jpg

B-25D which makes sense from a Bodenplatte standpoint. B-25J would be good for most of the Pacific. The D could stand in for early operation in the Pacific imo.

Only problem with the D is lack of tail gun but if it never becomes flyable it's irrelevant anyways. Either way it will be great to fly if it becomes a flyable model.

More flyable bombers the better, one thing this sim lacks is medium bombers instead of just attack aircraft. B-25 and maybe even a B-26 one day (fingers crossed) would do alot of good imo.

• Like 1

Salutations,

Just watched Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo a few days ago. That was definitely a daring long range raid. 😐

Every aspect of this DD is jaw dropping!

Much appreciation to the Devs for all their hard work. 

The 262 looks fantastic and I can't wait to try out the P-38. Reminds of the time I met a fellow who was ground crew in the Pacific. When he said he worked on P-38's I asked how he liked them compared to other fighters and he just replied, "Twice the work." 😁

Edited by Docjonel
  • Haha 1

Finally, after months of mostly Tank Crew Circus, a BoX update. Great to see the progress - keep going!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Umm, buildings are already destroyable. Load up a career mode mission and see for yourself. 

Sorry my comment was not precise enough. I agree that buildings are destroyable, but you need  large bombs and very precise even for small buildings that would crumble in reality.

Maybe it is that the "destructibility coefficient" of buildings is too high, or the destruction model too simple. In BOS very often the wooden shacks seem indestructible, when they should be under heavy fire. In Kuban some buildings have not a dent, even after large bombs fall and explode just a few meters nearby. And I remember there was somewhere a post that mentioned that it was a too big work to have each individual building destroyable in different ways (bombing, strafing, rockets etc.). So my comment here was to say that when fired upon a building there should be a visible impact, and I hoped the building destruction modeling would be more detailed in BOBp. 

• Upvote 1

Could sombody with the knowledge please name the landmark and city that are in the BOBP map screen shots. Thanks 

Anyone on the team know why performance has been dropping recently? I am extremely worried about the new map coming with all these large cities, VR is going to be in a bad spot I feel like when this comes out.

• Confused 1

Yep. the Mitchell is fantastic plane!

Glad to see the B-25.

Hopefully we will see one time in the future the Gunboat conversion too.

20 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Early Launchpro.jpg

One of my favorite WWII era movies. The B-25 we're getting screams for a Ruptured Duck paint scheme.

Van Johnson played the everyman in several films during the war years. For some pretty good P-38 action, check out "A Guy Named Joe" sometime.  He starred in that one with Spencer Tracy, Ward Bond and Irene Dunn. There are some very well done combat scenes with B-26s painted like Japanese Bettys. Quite convincingly too. Spoiler alert. There is a human interest story line for those who are appalled by war films that feature those.   

18 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Anyone on the team know why performance has been dropping recently? I am extremely worried about the new map coming with all these large cities, VR is going to be in a bad spot I feel like when this comes out.

Salutations,

Increased graphical density will put more demands upon our CPUs and GPUs. It can't be avoided only optimized. 😐

13 minutes ago, Thad said:

Salutations,

Increased graphical density will put more demands upon our CPUs and GPUs. It can't be avoided only optimized. 😐

Right. Also I am not the only one seeing decreased performance with the latest patches.

29 minutes ago, JonRedcorn said:

Right. Also I am not the only one seeing decreased performance with the latest patches.

When detail is improved, when the amount of objects is increased, etc. there will always be a performance penalty, unless some programmer manages to squeeze a little extra bit of performance juice. It's always like that. That's why we keep upgrading our computers or buying new ones. On the other hand, SWOTL now runs better than ever on my current machine! ;)

17 hours ago, Legioneod said:

B-25D which makes sense from a Bodenplatte standpoint. B-25J would be good for most of the Pacific. The D could stand in for early operation in the Pacific imo.

Only problem with the D is lack of tail gun but if it never becomes flyable it's irrelevant anyways. Either way it will be great to fly if it becomes a flyable model.

More flyable bombers the better, one thing this sim lacks is medium bombers instead of just attack aircraft. B-25 and maybe even a B-26 one day (fingers crossed) would do alot of good imo.

In several ways the B-25D is an odd choice.Its an early model for this late in the war and in any case very few B-25's ( if any,) were used operationally by the U.S.A.A.F. in Northern Europe.Down in North Africa & up the boot of Italy yes - they proved most useful. Of course the R.A.F. used quite a few and were happy to do so. In reflection I do think the B-26 which was used extensively in the northern europe ToO's would have been a somewhat better choice.

Too bad it can't be transferred to CloD for their lo-ooooo-ng awaited North Africa campaign-it would be a perfect fit!

( I say all this even though if it will ever be made flyable I would never say no way! Geeze that B-26 is a pretty ship tho...))

2009.278.620_1.jpg

Halliday2.jpg

Martin_B-26_Marauder__in_France.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
added info