Han

Developer Diary 218 - Discussion

The Me262 looks absolutely stunning. I can't wait to jump into that beautiful aircraft, learn that I have zero throttle discipline, set fire to both engines at the same time, get kicked out of Galland's Circus and crawl back into the warm embrace of my 109 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

I did my homework today and it must be possible to fly through the Arc du Cinquantenaire with planes with a wingspan less than 10 meters.

So have fun in your Fokker Dr.1 or I-16. :):fly:

Jubelpark..jpg

Oooooh, a challenge!

Posted (edited)

Moscow .... Moscow ... Moscow. Now you have the means to do it, technically speaking .... I don´t know if enough staff though. :russian_ru:

https://ugra-media.ru/

If only those already made buildings from the CLOD could be ported to IL2GBS ..... :yahoo: Is it feasible?

Victory Project: https://ugra-media.ru/2018/proekt-pobeda/

It would a great rebirth to the Moscow Map.

This map could be a kind of collector´s extra. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount, no problem.

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Geleitzug said:

Cool screenshots of the BoBP cities, really great art work - however, considering that the campaign was in January 1945, wouldn't it be more realistic that the cityscape especially of the Rhein/Ruhr area cities like Cologne, Dortmund, Duisburg, Duesseldorf etc. would be represented in an almost fully destroyed condition ? I mean it is for sure nice to fly over an authentically modeled cityscape with it's historical buildings etc., but in context with the Bodenplatte campaign, where the Ruhr area and it's major cities were already almost flattened it would feel a bit odd, wouldn't it ?! 

Can't wait to get my hands on the flight control stick of the 262 :dance:

+1

I really like the depiction of the individual cities, but Geleitzug really has a point here. A lot of cities in Europe were heavily damaged in 1945 and I see how much work  it will be to apply the damage in the correct areas. In case it is not already in BOX mission builder sth. like the destruction brush of the 1946 mission builder might be handy for this purpose.

But still, I really appreciate the work the Team is doing on this map.

1 hour ago, Uufflakke said:

I did my homework today and it must be possible to fly through the Arc du Cinquantenaire with planes with a wingspan less than 10 meters.

Duh, just knife-edge through it...

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, [DBS]El_Marta said:

+1

I really like the depiction of the individual cities, but Geleitzug really has a point here. A lot of cities in Europe were heavily damaged in 1945 and I see how much work  it will be to apply the damage in the correct areas. In case it is not already in BOX mission builder sth. like the destruction brush of the 1946 mission builder might be handy for this purpose.

It shouldn't be too hard to create a template file that has all buildings destroyed in certain areas. If the team doesn't supply it then we can make it ourselves, with the help of a little script.

Awesome update by the way! :salute:

Edited by SYN_Vander

What a nice surprise today.  Thank you Jason for the additional information, we do have a lot now and the future is looking very bright.  As many have posted before, what a great DD.:biggrin:

The cities look f***ing amazing. And that P-38... gahhh! Every DD gets better and better. Just like waiting for Kuban but even better. 

Those images of the P-38 and B-25 just made me flashback to my childhood experiences building warbird models. Phenomenal work as usual!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [DBS]El_Marta said:

+1

This is a picture of the City of Kleve, which was the centerpoint of the Operation Veritable in Feb 1945. It was bombed in Oktober 1944 and again in February 1945.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Veritable Like you said, most of the Citys around here looked like this.

If you need any help or Information for map or mission design, I studied history and have spend years reading and collecting all avaiable Material about this Operation. I have dozens of original Maps, which include all gun-, flak-, attack-, frontline positions for every Day and both sides. Complete trenchmaps, fake-airfields and that sort of stuff,  timetables, Mission summarys, including P-47; Me-262 Missions and more. Please contact me if you need something, it would be great to give something back to you.

I don`t know but this might help the developers of the map:
https://www.tim-online.nrw.de/tim-online2/
If you pick the ">" on the left top corner and activate "Historische Karten" (Historical Maps) and activate "TK25 1936-45", you will have the original maps for every building on the Soil of todays Northrhine-Westphalia, prior to the bombings, which includes most of the german parts in the Bodenplatte map. This is a very good official map-service system of the german state for that area and 100% free.

P.S.: And i would pay 50€ if you include the Schwanenburg of Kleve, which was an important Landmark for Navigation, the remains of it are seen in the top center of the attached picture. A full loaded british 4-Engine plane (assumably a Lancaster, but the sources differ) crashed into the 500 Year Old Tower and destroyed it, in the attack prior to the offensive. In afterwar-evaluations the ground commanders wrote, that the impact of the bombing was so immense, that it even slowed down the whole operation. 

110357-004-BCD6DA37.jpg

Edited by Meatgrinder
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

FINALLY back to business !!!!!!  👍 Thank you Jason/Han to come back to what was, is, will be the essence of IL2, in the past, today and in the future ✌️. After some digressions that I forgive you, 🙄 as I fully understand that you needed to decompress, empty your mind, let it float back in time, fly slower (WWI) or play a little with tanks like we all did when we were little kids 😄,  you are now back to hard work, with your eyes set on the main objective that is BoBp, then BoR (Battle of the Ruhr) then BoP (Battle of Pacific), etc. etc. A brilliant future awaits all of us.😎

Edited by IckyATLAS
  • Upvote 1

Great news, thank you DV team.

I just hope that the P38 will have a FM and DM  that  it had, please not another mistake like P39 and P47.

you guys should make the B-25 not just AI flyable but finish it and sell it to us im sure i would buy one for my garage 

Wow this looks amazing. Might have to add a few bucks to my new PC budget to get it VR ready to enjoy these wonderful new maps and planes.

Agreed that this is a Dev Diary for the history books. Anyone else having dreams about being pulled from the ranks of fighter pilots to serve in the first jet geschwader?

I'm curious what may have been behind the choice for what looks like the B-25C with no tail gunner and belly turret. Amazing plane no matter what version.

I absolutely can't wait for these planes and the Bodenplatte map to be released. IMO, Bodenplatte will be the best installment of this game.

33 minutes ago, Cason said:

Agreed that this is a Dev Diary for the history books. Anyone else having dreams about being pulled from the ranks of fighter pilots to serve in the first jet geschwader?

I'm curious what may have been behind the choice for what looks like the B-25C with no tail gunner and belly turret. Amazing plane no matter what version.

If you look youll see belly turret is on airplane model, who knows tail can be modification, but with top and belly i think its just unneccesary, less AI gunners better for amount of airplanes in air.

B-25C fits many war teathers so it can be used at many places now in game and places coming in future to game, its example of getting the most out of choice for extra airplane, and having something for axis fighters to shoot at pretending they hunt for B-17s/B-24s

8 hours ago, TP_Sparky said:

Great update!  I noticed pictures of the soon to be released 262 but Dora was conspicuously absent from the pictures.  Did Dora have a squabble with the rest of the the hanger?  Is she saying, "I'm a collector plane and don't need to appear with mere regular planes and 'shudder' AI?"

Remind her the P-38 is also a collector plane and she appeared in her own photo spread today.

Or-is that the problem?  The P-38 this week and the 262 previously appeared without their colorful paint jobs.  Did Dora just refuse to appear in a photo spread where the P-38 nude photos appear?  😀

Seriously, this is a wonderful view into the progress.  Thanks.  My only worry was not seeing dive brakes under the wings of the P-38L-25, but I looked closer and they are there, just faint and not prominent in the picture.    All -25 aircraft had the dive brakes installed on the production line during original assembly, not as a post-assembly upgrade and not as a retrofit as was done with L models already deployed.  The P-38L-25 was the first model built with the dive brakes and power-assisted ailerons as original equipment.  

If i'm not mistaken, looking at the pictures in the DD i think i see dive breaks under the wings. I could be wrong though.

I bought Kuban yesterday, I was so impressed I ordered BoB and TC shortly after (Only FC left to get!)

Reading through the DD makes me feel less guilty about blowing my budget for the month.

Keep up the great work guys, cant wait to see what you deliver next.

• Upvote 3

As a student of history and a lover of great archetecture - I'm looking forward to seeing even more of the pre-war condition of the various cities.

I'll be better able to appreciate humanity's loss - the story a pile of rubble could not tell.

The pre-view is absolutely stunning.

Thanks!!!!!!! Truly gobsmaked!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Cason said:

The B-25 C/D was what the RAF primarily used in the ETO in late '44. The ventral turret, from what I have seen, was a later production block addition.

Edited by LukeFF
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

download.jpg.e46c39a54a9664c44c44c651c1028660.jpg

They should make a model of Yossarian to be added to the bombardier position in the B-25, when we get to Italy that is! 

Cant wait to fly around in BoBp!

Edited by -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor
  • Like 1

Just jaw dropping work on display here. Kudos to the team and I of course look forward to trying all of the new toys when they are ready to go. Truly... amazing. I'm gobsmacked.

P-38 is the star of this DD imo, looks great. B-25 is nice as well though I was thinking it was gonna be a later variant, though in hindsight it makes sense due to it representing a British flown B-25.

Hopefully one day the B-25 will be flyable. It's be nice to see a B-25J for a Pacific release and a B-26 for a good American medium bomber for Bodenplatte in the distant future.

Great work Devs, looking good.

P-38!!! 

I just wish my 1060 could handle IL-2 better in VR. Maybe if ASW 2.0 is implemented someday . . . ? For now, I can only drool.

Really like the new screens (splash) in the game....262 and fc. Thanks chaps.

Very cool DD! The presented artwork is simply stunning! 

Thanks for your devoted and hard work devs!

I am so glad I bit the bullet and bought a new PC. This game just gets better and better. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

Moscow .... Moscow ... Moscow. Now you have the means to do it, technically speaking .... I don´t know if enough staff though. :russian_ru:

https://ugra-media.ru/

If only those already made buildings from the CLOD could be ported to IL2GBS ..... :yahoo: Is it feasible?

Victory Project: https://ugra-media.ru/2018/proekt-pobeda/

It would a great rebirth to the Moscow Map.

This map could be a kind of collector´s extra. I would be willing to pay a reasonable amount, no problem.

Wow, never seen those screens before. Although red square is historically inaccurate 🤣

18 hours ago, TP_Sparky said:

Seriously, this is a wonderful view into the progress.  Thanks.  My only worry was not seeing dive brakes under the wings of the P-38L-25, but I looked closer and they are there, just faint and not prominent in the picture.    All -25 aircraft had the dive brakes installed on the production line during original assembly, not as a post-assembly upgrade and not as a retrofit as was done with L models already deployed.  The P-38L-25 was the first model built with the dive brakes and power-assisted ailerons as original equipment.  

You realise we're getting the not the L, right? 🙂

4 hours ago, IdahoBookworm said:

P-38!!! 

I just wish my 1060 could handle IL-2 better in VR. Maybe if ASW 2.0 is implemented someday . . . ? For now, I can only drool.

Sorry, but if got a 1060 for VR purposes, you made a mistake

16 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

Jubelpark..jpg

You mean it's possible to Fly trough with Planes with a Wingspan of less than 24 Meters and a Height of less then 10 Meters right?

image.png.1072b7f27b51b241fb900ac5722beef2.png

• Haha 1

I am impatient.

Nice view of Liège, the "Memorial Interallié".

On the sixth picture what city?