Sign in to follow this  
taffy2jeffmorgan

In-cockpit pilot

Hi, I realize that the Devs have their work cut out to be able to supply us all with everything that goes to make this combat flight simulation a fantastic experience, but would it take much to be able to simulate ourselves as the pilots. To see our gloved hands on joystick and throttle and flying boots on the rudder pedals.  Perhaps a thought for the future.

Cheers.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Look in the Mods section... I think someone has already got this going in game.

• Upvote 1

• Upvote 1

I would like to see this feature implemented without mod because in multiplayer, most of servers don't allows mods and many of us just play (or most of time as my case) in multiplayer.

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, 3./JG15_HansPhilipp said:

I would like to see this feature implemented without mod because in multiplayer, most of servers don't allows mods and many of us just play (or most of time as my case) in multiplayer.

Agreed, also the mod is merely a stop-gap and isn't perfect (not a criticism).

The pilot keeps wiping his nose obscuring your view and in some instances the pilot's goggles are rendered in front also blocking your view.

Also your hands just float in space with most planes and don't follow the controls.

In VR the absence of a pilot body is stark. I would love to see this officially supported. 

It_isn't_happening, people. We've been down this road a thousand times before. 

Would be nice if it were to happen anyway. 

It would just be a massive pain for the Devs and I think once people got over the fact that it was added most would just turn it off because it would obscure instruments and lever positions. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

It would just be a massive pain for the Devs and I think once people got over the fact that it was added most would just turn it off because it would obscure instruments and lever positions. 

Yes.

I don't personally care if something like this is ever added, and it would be fine by me if it was, but if it was, I'd definitely want it to so that you could turn it off.  In DCS I don't use it because 1) it sometimes interferes with my view of switches and guages, and 2) depending on your chosen default eyepoint, you sometimes get a disembodied head effect (where you check your six and you see what looks like the headless horseman occupying 'your' seat.)

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Upvote 2

Who would not want to see this feature implemented?
I believe that such an implementation is much simpler than the actual physics involved / implemented in the game.
If many of us (most of us to be precise) to request such implementation, it may be that the devs look to us.

10 minutes ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

It would just be a massive pain for the Devs

I don't think so...

Posted (edited)

Now that you mentioned the horseman, there's a picture coming in my mind that is frequently used, when something is

discussed over and over again. Does anyone have it and help out here?

I mean this one - thanks LukeFF.

giphy.gif

Edited by -IRRE-Therion

1 minute ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Now that you mentioned the horseman, there's a picture coming in my mind that is frequently used, when something is

discussed over and over again. Does anyone have it and help out here?

check a couple posts up! 😀

6 minutes ago, 3./JG15_HansPhilipp said:

I believe that such an implementation is much simpler than the actual physics involved / implemented in the game.
If many of us (most of us to be precise) to request such implementation, it may be that the devs look to us.

Dude, they aren't. If it was so easy (geeze, where have we heard that before), it would've been implemented a long time ago). 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -LUCKY-ThanksSkeletor said:

I am afraid I have to agree.  I loaded it today and for five minutes it  was cool but then I looked down and could see inside my body which ruined the immersion and I also realised I could no longer see some of the instruments.    Perhaps when we gain the ability to have the virtual arms follow our own arms so we can just move our arm out of the way then it will be fun but not yet.  Sorry.

I'll probably give the mod a go. Honestly have done both ghost and body mode before its not a huge deal for me (and in VR can be really funny) but I'll give it a go. 

On the other hand, #4 

is something I'd probably pay money to watch someone else play... 

Now I need to turn on the electronics right?

Yeh, just flip that switch over there.

Oh dear, I think I just hit the eject or seat. Is that bad?

What?! We're not even out of the hanger yet! You didn't arm it yet did you? 

I don't think so? Why are none of the controls working now? 

14 hours ago, pfrances said:

Agreed, also the mod is merely a stop-gap and isn't perfect (not a criticism).

The pilot keeps wiping his nose obscuring your view and in some instances the pilot's goggles are rendered in front also blocking your view.

Also your hands just float in space with most planes and don't follow the controls.

In VR the absence of a pilot body is stark. I would love to see this officially supported. 

There is a fix for the animations post in the OP in mod section.

14 hours ago, LukeFF said:

It_isn't_happening, people. We've been down this road a thousand times before. 

Pretty sure Jason said they are going to do it eventually.

I hadn't given it much thought in the past.  Although I must admit I really did enjoy the mod. 

I never have felt the need to see this. Having a pilot body seems “arcade” to me. 

Arcade games aren’t concerned with the problem of blocking the view of controls or instruments. 

Then there’s the fact that if you do have a pilot body it needs to be modeled with the same quality as the cockpit and not appear as a low texture rag doll. It needs fabric texture and stitching and it should animate realistically. Otherwise they would just look bad in comparison to the cockpit and the rest of the game. 

• Upvote 1

I’ve given up trying to explain about rigging and baked animations, different for every aircraft...

2 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

I never have felt the need to see this. Having a pilot body seems “arcade” to me. 

Arcade games aren’t concerned with the problem of blocking the view of controls or instruments. 

Then there’s the fact that if you do have a pilot body it needs to be modeled with the same quality as the cockpit and not appear as a low texture rag doll. It needs fabric texture and stitching and it should animate realistically. Otherwise they would just look bad in comparison to the cockpit and the rest of the game. 

Doesn't really seem arcade to me.

I personally don't care either way though really , but if there was one just make it togglable where one can toggle off if needed and back on if desired.       

It definitely does not feel arcade in VR although it does make me fell like I have a cartoon body :crazy: 

i woundnt mind seeing this someday but I don’t really care either way. If they make this happen, it would be nice to be able to move your body around so it’s not blocking any views in the pit. 

Well, to be honest, if it floats your boat to see hands and feet in the cockpit so be it... I certainly wouldn't use it though.

I have played flight sims for donkeys years, and it has never even crossed my mind that I need to see a body in cockpit to get 'immersion'...

I'm generally managing the aircraft, doing nav checks, staying tactically aware of the airspace around me to worry about watching my hand move the throttle back and forth.

Hang on...it's not modelled? If I lean too close to the panel in VR I get a body pop into existence (Ju88). I thought it was a glitch as I hadn't seen or turned on what I assumed was a feature.