Bustercat

Considering switching to this from war thunder. Thoughts?

I've been increasingly getting into WW2 sims after playing Sky Gamblers. 
I've got a nice HOTAS setup and have playing war thunder.

As fun as it is, I REALLY don't like the lack of joystick support. I'm pretty much limited to Simulation mode to use a stick, but the learning curve for SIM is pretty intense (no radar or enemy indicators is my biggest gripe, I want to have fun and develop my flying skills before I work up to full realism). The problem is there's nothing in-between for stick users.
So I'm currently playing arcade and planning to move up to realistic... 

but I just feel I'm just wasting my time getting good using awkward mouse and keyboard controls, time I could spend getting good actually flying a plane with HOTAS.

I enjoy flying against bots using sim controls and HOTAS, but boy does that get boring, and i'm really missing a nice single player PvE mode.

Does IL2 seem like a good fit for me?

PS:

I see the minimum is 2.8gh i5/i7 processor. 
Is a 2.9gh i9 with turbo boost to 4.3ghz good enough to play with nice-enough settings, if I have a solid video card (Radeon pro Vega 20 with 4gb)?

Thanks!

• Like 1

IL2 on the lower difficulty settings sounds like a good fit to me!

Just take plenty of time before you think about multiplayer.

It depends on whether or not you are looking for a single player or multiplayer experience.

Based on your comment on having a nice SP PvE mode, I would say IL-2 will be great for you. It comes with a nice career mode built-in for a semi-dynamic campaign, as well as several scripted campaigns (some of which are sold separately, some included based on the module you got, and some completely free that can be obtained on the missions board on this forum). There's also a 3rd party dynamic campaign generator, the PWCG (also available on a board on this forum).

On top of that, in single player you can fully customize the difficulty by using the custom difficulty options. You can have labels, flight markers, GPS on the map, and all that.

Now, if you want to do multiplayer, generally speaking that requires that you engage with the more hardcore simulation aspects. Most popular servers are at the expert settings, some of which don't have GPS at all and require full land navigation. That said, it's a complete blast. :)

So, overall, I'd say it's absolutely worth it.

• Like 1

specs should be alright for medium-ish settings ingame, I suppose.

just as Browning said, on lower difficulty settings, IL-2 should be just fine for you. right now is also an extraordinarily good moment to get into it since its in a sale!

just fyi: if you plan to launch the game via steam, I'd suggest you buy "battle of stalingrad" on the steam store and all subsequent purchases that you might want to make in the future directly on their own store, on their website. that way, you'll have all you purchase on steam and the devs get more of the money you pay.

That's fine for me. TBH multiplayer games in general can irritate me because of the other factors they introduce, like latency, hit detection, etc.

How does IL2's "aim assist" work? Is it like a lead indicator to practice deflection shots? Or an auto-aim/stabilizer of some sort?

No grind

No floaty flight models

No free-loaders

Beautiful graphics

Very responsive dev team

Historic match-making

Single player modes

Different difficulty settings to ease you into MEC controls (On single player modes)

But most importantly.... No MOUSE-AIMERS!!!!!!

If WWII air combat is what you're looking for, you can't go wrong with this game.

• Upvote 8

3 minutes ago, Bustercat said:

That's fine for me. TBH multiplayer games in general can irritate me because of the other factors they introduce, like latency, hit detection, etc.

How does IL2's "aim assist" work? Is it like a lead indicator to practice deflection shots? Or an auto-aim/stabilizer of some sort?

It gives you a lead predicted reticle to aim at

2 minutes ago, Bustercat said:

Aiming Assist

Displays a small red crosshair and a small red circle to the pilot once the plane is within
½ km from the nearest enemy target. The crosshair indicates where machine gun and
cannon fire will impact. The circle locks on to the nearest enemy target. To hit the
target, the pilot must fly the plane to put the red crosshair over the red circle before
firing machine guns or cannons.

Bombing Assist

Displays a yellow circle to the pilot that indicates where bombs or rockets will impact.
To hit the target, the pilot must fly the plane to put the yellow circle over the target
before dropping bombs or firing rockets.

• Like 1

Admittedly biased, but I think BOX is right up your alley. Especially if you eventually want to go the full realism route because there is a huge variety in which you can customize difficulty (aim assist, navigation, engine management and so on) as you work toward your goal. 

Looks like the deluxe gets me a 190.

Steam isn't selling deluxe versions of BOM of BOK and I'm sure I want a P40 and a spitfire..

Is it worth buying waiting til BOM and BOK deluxe are on sale, or just buy the P40 separately? Do planes ever go on sale?

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 12.25.26 PM.png

I'd personally recommend getting through here. With Steam you must have Battle of Stalingrad to play, but direct, you can start with whichever one interests you most. I'm a jughead, so I started with Battle of Moscow for the P-40 and went to Battle of Bodenplatte, then Battle of Stalingrad from there. 

The flight models here are a big change from Warthunder, and will take some getting used to. As I said, I'm a Thunderbolt enthusiast, and discovering that the P-47 needs about 350mph *indicated* air speed to perform a loop was a bit of a shock. However, that's a real thing right from the pilot's handbook. Be prepared for things that worked in WT to just not work here. 

On the other hand, these planes live and breath like nothing I've ever flown elsewhere. Even though I've mostly been just flying acrobatic and navigation practice since I switched, I don't think I could go back again. There's just nothing else like it. 

5 minutes ago, Bustercat said:

Looks like the deluxe gets me a 190.

Steam isn't selling deluxe versions of BOM of BOK and I'm sure I want a P40 and a spitfire..

Is it worth buying waiting til BOM and BOK deluxe are on sale, or just buy the P40 separately? Do planes ever go on sale?

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 12.25.26 PM.png

You might look at the Battle of Bodenplatte preorder: 

https://il2sturmovik.com/store/battle-of-bodenplatte/

The Fw-190A-8, Bf-109K-4, G-14, Spitfire IX, and P-47D-28 are all currently available, and we should be getting the Fw-190D-9, and Me-262 soon. It will also include the P-51D-15 Mustang, Tempest mk V and a P-38.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voyager said:

hmm.. bypassing steam and getting premium editions direct seems a better deal as I'm getting 3 other premium planes for free

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 12.41.20 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Go for it.  Best WWII sim out there.  Like everyone is saying, many ways and levels to play.

Always buy direct.

could you spell out your hardware more?

If you are planning on mostly using MP, I'd say go for it.  The game pretty much has that under control.  If you play exclusively offline, you may find the singleplayer experience to be a swing and a miss.  That being said it's still the best sim out there, if not the best that it can be. 

Buying direct seems to run into less problems overall as well, IMO. One less piece of software you need to play the game. Also more money goes to the devs. Its really win/win. Plus you can buy early access content from the il2 store too.

1 hour ago, Bustercat said:

hmm.. bypassing steam and getting premium editions direct seems a better deal as I'm getting 3 other premium planes for free

Screen Shot 2019-03-06 at 12.41.20 PM.png

That is a damn good bargain!

1 hour ago, Bustercat said:

As fun as it is, I REALLY don't like the lack of joystick support. I'm pretty much limited to Simulation mode to use a stick, but the learning curve for SIM is pretty intense (no radar or enemy indicators is my biggest gripe, I want to have fun and develop my flying skills before I work up to full realism). The problem is there's nothing in-between for stick users.

but I just feel I'm just wasting my time getting good using awkward mouse and keyboard controls, time I could spend getting good actually flying a plane with HOTAS.

I enjoy flying against bots using sim controls and HOTAS, but boy does that get boring, and i'm really missing a nice single player PvE mode.

PS:

Is a 2.9gh i9 with turbo boost to 4.3ghz good enough to play with nice-enough settings, if I have a solid video card (Radeon pro Vega 20 with 4gb)?

Thanks!

I ditched WT 2 years ago and havent looked back.  Wish I switched earlier.  Spotting is hard but if you look for clues like aaa/flak and tracers you start seeing paterns and later you can predict enemy routes.  Could also start out doing ground attack too

• Upvote 1

I enjoy both titles for entirely different reasons. IL2 gets the majority of my time but when I want some easy, pick-up-and-play fun without the VR I really like Warthunder.

Warthunder is like a Big-Mac while IL2 is a nice ribeye.

• Upvote 2

Another thing to consider is the IL2 community.

Yeah we will often squabble over details and our own personal preferences, but if someone needs help with the sim. the amount of outreach by the players is really staggering.

When you get Bodenplatte (and you should), what I want you to do is hop in your favorite bird in the Quick mission builder, select the Kuban map in Springtime, take off from Sochi, no enemy anything selected, and just fly north over the mountains...

Just do it.

FSfzxe.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, pfrances said:

I enjoy both titles for entirely different reasons. IL2 gets the majority of my time but when I want some easy, pick-up-and-play fun without the VR I really like Warthunder.

Warthunder is like a Big-Mac while IL2 is a nice ribeye.

WT is definitely fun, I don't even dislike some of the F2P aspects like the boosters, etc. I want to like it better. But effectively limiting HOTAS to one specific, advanced game mode is sort of a bummer, especially for people just getting into sims. When I realized I need to spend a lot of time in other modes just to spade planes, it took some of the fun out of it. Building muscle memory while learning to scissor, break, spiral climb, etc. using WASD keys seems like wasted effort for me.
The real clincher is that even the mouseaim doesn't really work well (digital keyboard input, having to battle the 'instructor' when trying to bank in pursuit). It's missing the simple joy of flight that even much arcadier titles like Sky Gamblers 2 (using a gamepad) seem to have.

warthunder.jpg

1 hour ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

That is a damn good bargain!

does anyone know if these IL2 store discounts are the regular prices?
Or is there a special sale going on here too?

Edited by Bustercat
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bustercat said:

does anyone know if these IL2 store discounts are the regular prices?
Or is there a special sale going on here too?

It is a sale. They come up periodically, and the older titles in the set typically have steeper discounts too. Usually there's some announcement on the forums about the occasion and duration, but we haven't seen it yet, so it's a good time to grab them. 

• Upvote 1

Get in why the sale is on, I can guarantee you won’t regret it. 

Posted (edited)

Single-player game play here is very good, all things considered. Don't let some of the detractors here push you away if that's the focus of your playing time. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Done! And a nice community member gifted me BoK premium :)
Will give the other two a shot first after I'm back from vacation, if for some strange reason they don't grab me, I'll regift the BoK license.

Thanks, everyone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Bustercat said:

Done! And a nice community member gifted me BoK premium :)
Will give the other two a shot first after I'm back from vacation, if for some strange reason they don't grab me, I'll regift the BoK license.

Thanks, everyone.

Well there you go! You even got an early introduction to another great benefit of this sim. The community is epic. . . . Warthunder community, not so much.

Enjoy your flying.

• Like 2

If you like how it looks you should think of getting also BoBp, its still early acces but its 10$ off and you can play with airplanes as they make them.

Also you can easy play this game on gamepad, it even automaticly recognises and adjust keys for it.

• Upvote 1

So this is pretty funny. I have the model of this exact aircraft (one of Erich Hartmanns' 109s, identical markings) above my desk pointing at my HOTAS. I think this is meant to be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Sounds like all of your questions were answered so I wanted to join in an say welcome to the community! You'll need a little time adjusting from War Thunder to this but I think you're going to really like it in the end.

Welcome!! Always good to see new people! Hopefully we will see you on one of the online servers soon.

As others have stated, the spotting can be difficult at first, but once you get used to it it becomes second nature. You can also get pointers when flying with others online using one of the many TS and Discord channels.

See you in the skies!

FYI, check here for lots of IL-2 information.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Bustercat said:

PS:

Thanks!

IL2 will be a good fit for you. Just keep in mind you may have some flying habits developed in WT that will make flying in this sim harder initially. My advice is to pick one plane and practice only with it to learn its handling and performance envelopes. Once you're comfortable with that use the Quick Mission Battles and set up friendly bombers to practice making passes and shooting at (so they wont shoot back). Then graduate to some enemy bombers or fighter in SP.

The last step....or first step if you're really keen...jump into a MP server such as "Berloga" so you can throw yourself into fights over and over again. Check any ego at the door here. You will die a lot and probably wont hit much initially,  but it will let you see a lot of scenarios against dynamic opponents (humans) to help improve your gunnery and general maneuvering much faster than against AI.

Fly on the more objective based servers to help improve the positional/tactical side of things when you're ready.

Rinse repeat when you're ready to learn a new plane.

Edited by SYN_Requiem
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Welcome on board!

I switched too from War Thunder. Like the others here i don´t regret it. I hope you enjoy this sim as much as the ohters do!

best regards Rico :salute:

• Like 1

LOL, welcome aboard, just don't expect any naval aviation of any kind!

Don’t change, stay with WT or you will regret it as you will no longer have any spare time and, if you are married start saving for a divorce. You have been warned.

• Haha 4
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, pilotpierre said:

if you are married start saving for a divorce

err - nope! Better start shoveling your savings offshore and secure your hardware! When it comes to divorce, you will be stripped down to your underpants.

I went through this... ;)

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

lots of LOL in this thread. :)

My advice for the OP :-

May as well start on expert mode, learning curve may be a bit steeper dealing with complex engine management, but my thinking when I started was that I didn't want to have to learn things twice. May as well get used to handling these birds correctly from the start.

Single player careers are very good, and include optional "Iron Man" mode. Pat Wilsons Campaign Generator" is also well worth taking a look at.

Don't feel you have to be some kind of uber ace to give MP a try. Once you have set up your controls and are comfortable, just pick a server and give it a try. Taxiing to the runway and sometimes busy airfields with AC in the circuit waiting to land, with others queuing to take off can be really atmospheric. 

The important thing is that you have fun.

may as well take full advantage of the march madness sale and buy everything on offer !! ;)

Edited by =11=Herne