Jaegermeister

Achtung Jabos! P47 Scripted Campaign

Thanks for the encouragement Jason. Now that you and your crew are creating an American team for me to be a part of, you will be hearing more from me. I hope you get a chance to fly this one.

I am starting another short mini campaign in the Spitfire Vb already.  

• Thanks 2

Just have to say after flying the first mission that I loved it!   It was very immersive flying in that poor weather and low cloud.   I lost my leader descending through the clouds to the target and although I saw the other pair drop so knew where to drop my own bombs (two vehicles!)  I then realised I had lost them all!   I climbed up through the clouds on a bearing of 270 but could not find them which meant I had no idea of when I should descend to the airfield so I had to come down below the clouds again.  I passed a few towns but could not work out which ones they were so eventually I had to resort to searching North & South until I picked up the railway line then as I approached where I thought I would need to turn North to the field I heard my flight asking for landing permission and saw nav lights through the murk to my 2 o/c.   I was very relieved and it was probably a good recreation of what some rookie pilots experienced themselves at the time.  It also added atmosphere seeing other P47s in the circuit (Hawk Flight?).   I cut them up and landed before they could but I will buy them a beer later  🙂

Thanks for this campaign.  Well done.  👍:clapping:

5 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I climbed up through the clouds on a bearing of 270 but could not find them which meant I had no idea of when I should descend to the airfield so I had to come down below the clouds again.  Thanks for this campaign.  Well done.  👍:clapping:

I'm glad you are enjoying it. Good job finding your way home.

The reason I give distance and bearing to target is because if you don't use icons on the mini map, you can simply calculate distance and time. Referred to as Dead Reckoning. If you are traveling at 240 mph and the target is 40 miles away, Divide 240 (mph) by 60 (minutes) and you get 4 miles per minute. 240/60 =4. 40 miles takes 10 minutes at that speed. 40/4 = 10 . If you are going 200 mph, (200/60) = 3.33 miles per minute so it will take 12 minutes (about) to get home and then you let down hopefully over the field. You may need that again, but the weather clears up closer to Christmas.

7 hours ago, Yankee_One said:

Thank you very much!!

Great one

Your very welcome!

Edited by Jaegermeister

Awesome campaign, these scripted campaigns are where it's at. So much more going on then generated ones.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Jaegermeister said:

You may need that again, but the weather clears up closer to Christmas.

It did not clear much in the second mission 😄   I had to fly home at 100ft and was still touching the cloud base!    After the 'surprise' I was on my own and was overjoyed to spot another P47 as I thought he would lead me home. Instead he formed up on *me* and waited for me to lead *him* home 😏  

GoingHome100ft.thumb.jpg.2dd22ce418f77a9d76556e8d0ac4ab01.jpg

As it happens I was pretty much on course (by chance) and recognised a uniquely shaped town so we got back OK. It was still a bit tricky doing a  circuit and landing without going above 100ft and I nearly spun in turning finals but I am not complaining.  It all makes it very exciting. You can see in this photo that even though I was turning base at about 90 feet, my wingman was in half in the clouds.

CircuitLow.thumb.jpg.9ad62fe8c298a291e44a11e6edf9993f.jpg

PS  Yes I should have been able to calculate the times but I don't like flying blindly above the clouds and trusting my calculations,  I would rather find some landmarks to reassure  myself that  I am where I should be.  It's no use coming down through the clouds at the right distance but 1/2 mile off course then not knowing which way to turn because there are so few landmarks.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Hey, however you can get home is great! Back in the day they had the same problems finding the field when the weather was bad. I think it was the same day another flight tried to take off in the same weather, popped out above the clouds and 2 planes collided. They spun down and both pilots were killed. I made no effort to recreate that mission. That squadron cancelled the rest of their flights for the day. 

I believe at Chievres there was a church they looked for and flew over it, barely clearing the steeple and it lined them up with the runway about 1 mile out.

11 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Awesome campaign, these scripted campaigns are where it's at. So much more going on then generated ones.

Thanks, I agree there is way more atmosphere and immersion in a scripted campaign when you combine traffic, skins and goals. I am really looking forward to the new American/British squadrons and radio calls which should be coming soon.

1 hour ago, UF_Viking said:

Very good campaign. Thank you very much.

Your very welcome. Thanks for the feedback!

I am not skilled at making videos, in fact I think this is my first 'edited' one put together from parts rather than just recording the whole flight in one  go and posting it,  but here is one I made while flying Mission 4.  The mission itself went quite well but I upset my leader back at base with some reckless flying 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

I am not skilled at making videos, in fact I think this is my first 'edited' one put together from parts rather than just recording the whole flight in one  go and posting it,  but here is one I made while flying Mission 4.  The mission itself went quite well but I upset my leader back at base with some reckless flying 🙂

Just a quick tip you have your cowl flaps wide open, you pretty much never need them wide open and especially not in winter. Also your intercooler was wide open and I am assuming as was the oil since all the temp gauges are reading ice cold. Close those cowlings!! You can't even see anything haha.

Also they really need to fix that replay cockpit bug where it flashes that's so weird.

Edited by JonRedcorn

15 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Just a quick tip you have your cowl flaps wide open

That was only a few minutes after take-off and they were at 50% for a total of 55 seconds in a 11:20 video and the oil temp was showing about 40 which is the minimum recommended  🙄  I often forget to close them until I am settled in the cruise and I closed them a few minutes later and never opened them again (as is obvious in all the following scenes) 

15 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Also your intercooler was wide open and I am assuming as was the oil since all the temp gauges are reading ice cold. Close those cowlings!! You can't even see anything haha.

Yes the intercooler was more than 50%.  I am not sure why as I usually set it to 50% before take off but it is probably because this mission starts with everyone on the runway and the leader goes about five seconds later while I am still desperately trying to adjust both sets of shutters down from 100%s 🙂 

I am not sure why you say all the temp gauges are reading ice cold as the next time you see my gauges is when I am on the way home and they clearly show the cylinder head temp at about 150 and the oil at about 60  which is perfect for both.  Yet again, you cannot see the cowl flaps open as they were fully closed about 5 minutes into the flight.   Only the Carb Air is showing as cold and as that is measured at the exit from the turbo which was not being used I don't think it has an effect in-game other than the drag from the shutter. I could be wrong but the gauge seems to show green from -50 up to +40 anyway.  Everything you see here is how it was for almost the whole flight as I never adjusted any shutters after take-off and closed the cowl flaps 5 minutes after take-off.

P47gauges.thumb.jpg.b95e5c45e4ea63f62d41a7b8eaf72371.jpg

Yes the flickering is annoying which is why most of the internal footage was shot with F1 instead of Ctl-F1 and that is why you don't often see the gauges 😒

ADDENDUM:  I have just noticed that the section with the cowl flaps open was from a different mission.  I have no rockets on 🙄   I had the take-off and attack and RTB but wanted a little bit of cruising to complete the video but I must have opened the wrong recording 🙂   What I said still applies though. I do remember a mission where I forgot to close the cowl until 5 minutes into the mission when normally I do it as soon as I am up to speed.

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Your welcome...I guess that means I have succeeded. It all works and it is as difficult as it was in reality to survive in that environment. 

😀

• Upvote 1

Yes! In war there is no time for recounting the birds in heaven. People fell from heaven to earth!
Aircraft pilots.

10 hours ago, UF_Viking said:

One of my best score on this campaign.

See you in Metz ;)

Oui! That's some carnage.

Having finished this recently I have one bit of feedback.  Maybe others will disagree.

It seemed to get easier as it went on.   The first couple of missions are quite tricky with that low cloud and very early on you have a mission where there is an enemy fighter at your base when you return.   As you go on, the cloud cover gets higher & higher and I kept expecting more air opposition but it never appeared.   The last few missions were milk runs where you just dropped some bombs and went home or 'elsewhere' without any danger or difficulty or opposition and it was a bit of an ant-climax..  I though the final mission in particular would be a frantic fight for survival for the squadron, in the air or on the ground, but nothing happened and mission just stopped when I was at least expecting a longer journey and maybe a surprise on the way.

Was I just unlucky that the timings meant I missed seeing the more exciting elements I should have encountered?

On 5/9/2019 at 7:20 AM, 56RAF_Roblex said:

It seemed to get easier as it went on.   The first couple of missions are quite tricky with that low cloud and very early on you have a mission where there is an enemy fighter at your base when you return.   As you go on, the cloud cover gets higher & higher and I kept expecting more air opposition but it never appeared.   The last few missions were milk runs where you just dropped some bombs and went home or 'elsewhere' without any danger or difficulty or opposition and it was a bit of an ant-climax..  I though the final mission in particular would be a frantic fight for survival for the squadron, in the air or on the ground, but nothing happened and mission just stopped when I was at least expecting a longer journey and maybe a surprise on the way.

Was I just unlucky that the timings meant I missed seeing the more exciting elements I should have encountered?

My apologies if it was not interesting enough for you. The weather made its own decisions and I used various references to try and depict it as it was historically. I did mention that this was based on historical events but not exactly duplicating them I believe.

As the battle progressed, the ground attack missions did not involve a lot of “frantic”  air to air combat in general. I believe the classic quote was something like “If the planes were silver, they were American. If they were camouflaged, they were British, and if you could not see them at all, they were the Luftwaffe.”

I will refrain from commenting too much on the last mission. Maybe you did miss something. Also, since you apparently had a story line already designed in your imagination, I encourage you to sit down and make it into reality with the Mission Builder. Perhaps after a month or so of spending your spare time doing that, we will get to fly your campaign too.

Thanks for the feedback. I’m glad you enjoyed some of it.

Hi

Jaegermeister, Do you plan another campaign, not necessarily historical, for the P-47? Failure in the full BOBP version makes it impossible to play a career on this plane and the players are great. I tried to create something myself in the editor but it does not go away. Maybe if you feel like doing it, you'll be able to do something on the southern part of the map of Kuban in a beautiful and difficult mountainous terrain? ;)

Greetings.

4 hours ago, 8ELT_Grzesiek said:

Hi

Jaegermeister, Do you plan another campaign, not necessarily historical, for the P-47? Failure in the full BOBP version makes it impossible to play a career on this plane and the players are great. I tried to create something myself in the editor but it does not go away. Maybe if you feel like doing it, you'll be able to do something on the southern part of the map of Kuban in a beautiful and difficult mountainous terrain? ;)

Greetings.

I am just about finished with another 15 mission campaign flying the Spitfire Vb on the Kuban map. It is a historical campaign, but not what you would expect in that area. I am testing the final version now and it should be done in another week or so.

Gambit21 is doing a full scripted campaign for the P47 so we do have that to look forward to as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaegermeister said:

Gambit21 is doing a full scripted campaign for the P47 so we do have that to look forward to as well.

And I am doing the same for the Spitfire V at Kuban soon...

Haash

"Gambit21 is doing a full scripted campaign for the P47 so we do have that to look forward to as well"

I do not have this campaign on the map of Kuban, Moscow, unfortunately I just want to fly on the P-47.

5 minutes ago, SYN_Haashashin said:

And I am doing the same for the Spitfire V at Kuban soon...

Haash

No worries there Haash. I am using the Kuban map, but it is a stand-in for another area not far away. 

24580-A04-FC86-4660-8-ABD-259154586-F7-F

11 minutes ago, 8ELT_Grzesiek said:

I do not have this campaign on the map of Kuban, Moscow, unfortunately I just want to fly on the P-47.

It will be on the Battle of Bodenplatte map which I would guess you have if you are flying the P47 now. It’s not done yet.

• Like 1

I have enjoyed flying this campaign very much.  Takeoffs have equalled landing for all missions but #8 when I got snipped by an 88 on the way to the target.  One shot one kill :(  Anyway, having trouble finishing the last mission.  We departed and flew to WP1 and dealt with the threat, then flew to the next waypoint which was near the end of the map.  What's the primary objective?  We kept the trucks safe, which show as the secondary objective on the in-game briefing map.  Not sure as to the primary?  Are we departing too quickly?

Love flying the Jug.  I didn't know it that well when I began this campaign, but sure do now.  Thanks!

514424633_mission8trainwreck6a-train1-down.thumb.jpg.1024d1f7d164f2903bee2e54125d9d74.jpg

I’m glad you enjoyed it,

If you follow the waypoints across the front line, it will be apparent. I guess I should have made the end impossible to miss. You just went around it I guess.

Yeah, what happens is that about a 1/2 a kilometer before you hit the waypoint, you get a You're leaving combat area warning and you don't get credit for hitting the waypoint.  Have flown the mission 3 times now without success.  Thanks Jaegermeister!

leaving-combat-area.thumb.jpg.004c102db537810601c7200492ebf4a6.jpg

Yeah, like I said, just follow the waypoint path over the front line and it will end. You just went around it 3 times I guess. I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

On 5/19/2019 at 11:06 PM, Jaegermeister said:

Yeah, like I said, just follow the waypoint path over the front line and it will end. You just went around it 3 times I guess. I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen in the future. Thanks for the heads up.

Have you flown it since the last update?  I'm not flying around the waypoint.  I'm pretty thick-skulled, so if I am missing something else obvious, that wouldn't be a surprise.  But not flying around the waypoint.  I've tried referencing the map and hitting the in game icon just to be sure.  Anyway, no big deal.  The rest of the campaign is great.  I really appreciate your work.  BTW, the Jug can dance with an K4 :)

1000811457_DesktopScreenshot2019_04.27-12_52_42_45.thumb.jpg.d269884b91a3eec02740c28c4712888e.jpg

Edited by chipwich

15 hours ago, chipwich said:

Have you flown it since the last update?  

I have not. I’ll take a look at it and see if something happened. I’ll let you know what I find.

I’m glad you enjoyed it even if the ending was anti-climactic at the moment 

On 5/20/2019 at 4:15 AM, chipwich said:

Have you flown it since the last update? 

I have forgotten when the last update was but I finished this campaign somewhere in the first week of May and the final mission finished OK.   I hung around the town for ages to see of any enemy were going to turn up then just headed vaguely in the suggested direction and after a couple of minutes the mission ended.  I don't believe I got anywhere near the edge of the map.

I hung around the town for ages to see of any enemy were going to turn up then just headed vaguely in the suggested direction and after a couple of minutes the mission ended.  I don't believe I got anywhere near the edge of the map.

I flew it 3 times.

The first with icons off but using the map to reach the waypoints.  At the second WP over the town, the enemy showed up not long after Raven flight arrived.  I shot down both, then did a few turns over the city waiting for the last trucks from the airfield.  When the last one parked on the side of the road and lost interest in reaching the town over which Raven was still patrolling, I lead the flight south along the planned route.  About a half a km before overflying the last waypoint, I received You're leaving the combat area.  Thinking that this was it, I exited the mission and saw that the Secondary objective was met, that I had 2 aircraft kills, but not met the Primary objective.

The second time that I flew the mission, I switched icons on to make sure that we didn't miss anything.  Again, patrol over the town, kill the bad guys, then fly to the final waypoint.  When I received the You're leaving the combat area message again,  I circled back, trying to approach the waypoint from the east and west.  But received the message each time.  So I took the flight to the little encircled area just to the NE of the last waypoint, which I assume is to replicate Bastogne or some place similar to see if we had missed an airfield.  Did not see an obvious airfiled to land at.  There was one to the NW a short distance, but it was in enemy hands, so avoided it.  I looked at the briefing map trying to determine the Primary objective, but failing that, took the flight back to the original airfield and landed.  Since I didn't get a Mission Completed message, I assumed that this was also a fail.  Now out of ideas, I exited the mission.

On the last attempt to fly the mission, repeated patrolling over the town and shooting down the enemy.  BTW, if I could make a small recommendation for the campaign as a whole, wherever there is a flight of 2 EA, I would make it 4, and make them experten.  This would increase make things a bit more interesting.  Anyway, having done this I had Raven loiter over the city observing the truck behavior for about 15 mins, trying to see if I could determine when they would move on, make a turn, or otherwise do some behavior that would indicate that they are safe.  Two of the three trucks at the town finally decided to move down the road, but the other two got stuck in the trees or otherwise off road.  Not sure what they were doing, but it looked like they had discovered a wine cellar.  Flew to the last waypoint and of course received the leaving the combat are message just before arriving.  Throwing up hands at this point.

Did not have a problem in any of the other 13 missions.  No big deal.  I opened the mission in the editor, trying to determine what changes could be make for me to complete the final mission.  But until recently, have been flying mostly DCS, whose mission editor looks nothing like the GB editor.  One day I'll take time to learn the editor, and try to determine what I am doing wrong.

Cheers and good luck to all.

Edit: reading @56RAF_Roblex's post again, it looks like it's not the last waypoint that is an issue, but me not getting the Mission Complete statement en route to the last WP.  I am following the map's flight path.

Edited by chipwich
more info

9 hours ago, chipwich said:

Edit: reading @56RAF_Roblex's post again, it looks like it's not the last waypoint that is an issue, but me not getting the Mission Complete statement en route to the last WP.  I am following the map's flight path.

I am guessing you followed one of the EAC to the East a good ways and then turned south. If you would like to download the linked file and unzip it to your Achtung_Jabos folder, it will fix your issue. I also noticed that the runway marker fires got messed up at some point. That's fixed as well. I will repack the download file and update when I have a bit of spare time.

DL Link http://www.mediafire.com/file/n89p4a9mk6etta4/AJ_Mis14.zip/file

Thanks for pointing out this issue Chipwich. I learned not to assume there is only 1 way to skin a cat.

12 hours ago, Jaegermeister said:

I am guessing you followed one of the EAC to the East a good ways and then turned south. If you would like to download the linked file and unzip it to your Achtung_Jabos folder, it will fix your issue. I also noticed that the runway marker fires got messed up at some point. That's fixed as well. I will repack the download file and update when I have a bit of spare time.

Yeah, that could be @Jaegermeister.  I really appreciate you taking a look at this and also fixing the runway markers.  Forgot to mention those.  Did not see any other anomalies.  Will fly the updated mission after work today and report back.  

On 5/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, chipwich said:

On the last attempt to fly the mission, repeated patrolling over the town and shooting down the enemy. 

Lol.   I did not see any EA anywhere in the whole mission! I flew to the target then flew to the town and hung around for 10 minutes until I realised the trucks were just driving into town then driving out and starting again.   I also flew back to the airfield to see if I was missing some EA there then eventually gave up and flew South from the town (I do not have WPs visible) and the mission ended. In fact, during the whole campaign I think I only saw EA twice, maybe three times.        I did ask if that was how it was supposed to work or if it was just me having bad luck with the timing but I must have caught him on a bad day as the reply seemed a bit snotty. 

Edited by 56RAF_Roblex

Yep, that did it.  Campaign completed!  Thanks JM.  @56RAF_Roblex, the EA come from the W/SW at low altitude and fly near WP1.  They are easy to miss if you are at 3000 ft, which I usually climb to.  The only reason that I found them is that I gave the Flight -> Orders -> Patrol for air enemies command not long after takeoff and one of my flight called them out.

- Cheers Gents

4 hours ago, chipwich said:

The only reason that I found them is that I gave the Flight -> Orders -> Patrol for air enemies command not long after takeoff and one of my flight called them out.

Generally that sounds like a good idea but... isn't the first part of that sortie a ground attack job?   I must be confused because you would not send your flight looking for EA if they were carrying bombs, or at least not until they have used them.  Perhaps the mission before was the GA and the final one was just CAP and I am mixing them together.

Generally that sounds like a good idea but... isn't the first part of that sortie a ground attack job? 

No, for this mission you are tasked with "Give the trucks some air cover until they head west to go around the enemy advance..."

18 hours ago, chipwich said:

N

No, for this mission you are tasked with "Give the trucks some air cover until they head west to go around the enemy advance..."

Ok I thought it was 'Go North and destroy the bridge then cover the evac.'  but I must be mixing two missions.