Sign in to follow this  
EAF19_Marsh

Separate FC Controls?

I think this is not possible, but does anyone know if you can set an axis for a WW1 a/c separately so that the WW2 crates are not affected? On my Saitek I like to have the red level for oil radiators but in the WW1 for fuel mixture. Can this be done without causing conflict?

One can Create separate 'input' folders for wwi and wwii craft.

Activate or deactivate the required input folder as a mod before starting the game.. clunky but it can give you what you want. 😶

• Thanks 1

Maybe something that the devs could consider in terms of a/c-specific bindings or separate FC bindings.

I had the idea not so long ago that each plane should have its own unique controls menu, only featuring the controls used by that specific plane.

There are obviously common controls which could be copied to each plane when mapped for the first time.

If possible, that would make things much easier to set up and to understand how that plane operated.

As it is assigning commands and trying to figure out what's mapped where... well it's a bit messy.

WW1 is only adding to the confusion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

I think this is not possible, but does anyone know if you can set an axis for a WW1 a/c separately so that the WW2 crates are not affected? On my Saitek I like to have the red level for oil radiators but in the WW1 for fuel mixture.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what's the problem with using the same mixture control for both eras?

One of the reasons I dislike DCS is having to map out reams (literally) of separate inputs for every single jet I purchased. Then, having to remember each key assignment for each individual aircraft. This is the nature though, since you have all kinds of different devs assigning their own key inputs for every single aviaonics and weapons system imaginable when the plane goes public.

Does the Saitek have profile software? I use different thrustmaster profiles for FC, RoF and BoS

With BoX Russian, Western allied, and German kites, WW I, and TC being able to save multiple profiles would be a very good thing.

• Upvote 2

I've not purchased Flying circus (just thinking about it at the moment) but I do find the key binding to be a real pain with so many command for individual aircraft, IL2 1946 was far easier or is it just me getting older!

Would be good to be able to set individual control to aircraft as a set so you can pick commands for what ever aircraft your going to fly.

Just as a matter of curiosity, what's the problem with using the same mixture control for both eras?

It is primarily a VR thing - the large axis controls are easier to manipulate blindly while the digital buttons (without HUD) requiremore fiddling. Thus in the WW2 a/c - which generally need oil radiator input more than mixture - I have the radiator control on the handle and the mixture on buttons. The WW1 lovelies are the other way around as a Camel needs more mixture handling and next to it (for the in-lines) is the radiator handle which allows for a finer control of cooling.

Not a major issue, but one day might be useful to have a degree of specificity.

How about using VoiceAttack's feature to remap joystick buttons? You could have a VoiceAttack profile for each plane, with joystick-button-to-keyboard mappings that would be specific to that plane. I started to build Spad and P40E profiles and mapped joystick buttons to do different things depending on if I loaded the Spad or P40E profile in VA. I changed course and ended up programming one button to step though a selection list that put another button in that mode. For example, I have one button that steps through All Guns, Rockets, Bombs and whichever one is selected is the weapon used when I press the trigger. I have a second button that steps through other functions, Flaps, Pitch, Mix, Temp, etc., and that puts the hatswitch in that mode so selecting Mix and pressing hat up makes the mix richer and hat down makes it leaner. I have some voice commands, but I mostly use my mode selector buttons. I do all this, by the way, because I'm in VR and can't see the keyboard.

Edited by Muff_Huggar

On 3/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, BornToBattle said:

One of the reasons I dislike DCS is having to map out reams (literally) of separate inputs for every single jet I purchased. Then, having to remember each key assignment for each individual aircraft. This is the nature though, since you have all kinds of different devs assigning their own key inputs for every single aviaonics and weapons system imaginable when the plane goes public.

Yeah, I hear where you're coming from, but I don't think DCS is a good example to use in relation to Flying Circus.  DCS aircraft may have hundreds of discreet control states, which can be either mapped to buttons and keypresses, but are more commonly operated with a mouse on the clickable cockpit.  But here, for single engine WW1 planes, you've got a throttle, a mixture, and a radiator, and maybe a blip button.  You have a button to fire the guns, and a button to drop bombs.  You can add in a control to tilt guns on planes that have tilty guns, and maybe you have a control to only fire weapons group 2 instead of them all.  There isn't a whole lot more than that in terms of basic operation.  It just isn't that much that needs to be mapped or memorized. 

To OP,  picking up another $60 Saitek throttle quad is always a good deal if a flight simmer finds themselves running out of levers.😀

Edited by SeaSerpent

Or get GVL to build you a bespoke throttle unit and all your dreams will come true... ;)

On 3/1/2019 at 6:15 AM, Zooropa_Fly said:

I had the idea not so long ago that each plane should have its own unique controls menu, only featuring the controls used by that specific plane.

There are obviously common controls which could be copied to each plane when mapped for the first time.

If possible, that would make things much easier to set up and to understand how that plane operated.

As it is assigning commands and trying to figure out what's mapped where... well it's a bit messy.

WW1 is only adding to the confusion.

DCS does this.  It is kinda nice.