Jump to content

Pimax 5K+ without lighthouses


Recommended Posts

Yeah - I do.  8K without lighthouses.  Have to map a center view button on your HOTAS and maybe modify your seated position forward a little to compensate for not being able to lean into the gun sight.  Pity we can map a lean to gun sight movement to HOTAS - it would make fighting in restricted 3DOF much easier.

 

Planes that are easier to fight in with 3DOF are Western Allied and Axis planes.  VVS planes - harder with the smaller gun sights.  I hear the 5K has better tracking with internal gyro than the 8K so you mightn't have to hit the recenter button as much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, blitze said:

Yeah - I do.  8K without lighthouses.  Have to map a center view button on your HOTAS and maybe modify your seated position forward a little to compensate for not being able to lean into the gun sight.  Pity we can map a lean to gun sight movement to HOTAS - it would make fighting in restricted 3DOF much easier.

 

Planes that are easier to fight in with 3DOF are Western Allied and Axis planes.  VVS planes - harder with the smaller gun sights.  I hear the 5K has better tracking with internal gyro than the 8K so you mightn't have to hit the recenter button as much.

Are you using 3dmigoto mod?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

Are you using 3dmigoto mod?

Myself no, does it have something like what I am needing - lean to sight map to HOTAS capability?  Must look into it.

 

Edit - looked into it = pass.  Zoom is not the feature I am looking for, just lean into sight.  Have to wait until I get 6DOF.  Think I have found a way to get good clarity of objects in game but will do further testing.  So far results are good and if happy with general output, will not need zoom functions at all but now I am shagged and off to crash.

Edited by blitze
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blitze said:

Myself no, does it have something like what I am needing - lean to sight map to HOTAS capability?  Must look into it.

 

Edit - looked into it = pass.  Zoom is not the feature I am looking for, just lean into sight.  Have to wait until I get 6DOF.  Think I have found a way to get good clarity of objects in game but will do further testing.  So far results are good and if happy with general output, will not need zoom functions at all but now I am shagged and off to crash.

God bless ya if you try and fly online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

God bless ya if you try and fly online.

Funny that - I was flying for the first time online last night.  Not very populated server but one that I know.  Unfortunately it had the Kuban Map which distracted me and as most people fly on it Axis, I was a sole VVS jockey.  It was so fun.

 

Yes - my aim with the pimax is to have image fidelity so I shouldn't need zoom - 1 on 1 scale all the way.  with a render target of 2453 x 2160 or 3469 x 3055 and the right settings this should be attainable.  Identifying aircraft will be fun but there are colour differences at distance that help and also location and what AA is doing.  Anyway - looks like I have some B.S. bench marking to do to keep the chart freaks happy.  Also have to see if my camera's lenses will do a reasonable job capturing through the lens shots of my headset.  Oh Joy.

 

If I can get decent through the lens shots I will only post up those 2 render targets at settings I think are good for me.  Keep it simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, blitze said:

Funny that - I was flying for the first time online last night.  Not very populated server but one that I know.  Unfortunately it had the Kuban Map which distracted me and as most people fly on it Axis, I was a sole VVS jockey.  It was so fun.

 

Yes - my aim with the pimax is to have image fidelity so I shouldn't need zoom - 1 on 1 scale all the way.  with a render target of 2453 x 2160 or 3469 x 3055 and the right settings this should be attainable.  Identifying aircraft will be fun but there are colour differences at distance that help and also location and what AA is doing.  Anyway - looks like I have some B.S. bench marking to do to keep the chart freaks happy.  Also have to see if my camera's lenses will do a reasonable job capturing through the lens shots of my headset.  Oh Joy.

 

If I can get decent through the lens shots I will only post up those 2 render targets at settings I think are good for me.  Keep it simple.

It's not even so much that if you can see perfectly clearly as in real life you are still at a massive disadvantage because everyone else can zoom in quite far.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

It's not even so much that if you can see perfectly clearly as in real life you are still at a massive disadvantage because everyone else can zoom in quite far.

 

I understand that but I am aiming to not have to resort to carrying binoculars in cockpit as they could get loose and cause me serious harm in the event of aggressive maneuvers or an emergency 😀

 

Hopefully, in a year or two - VR will be capable enough that servers can implement no zoom as part of their realism features.  I would say by years end or next year we will be there but it will be a matter of adaption.  We are enthused though - are we not??

Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with zoom in VR is not really related to the capabilities of VR headsets but that while 2d players have a strong zooming tool adjusted with a slider to quite a huge magnification, VR players have a weak 2x on/off zoom. And on top of that this zoom seems not really getting other planes closer while zooming. At least that is my impression that when using the default zoom the environment is zoomed in but the planes remain more or less the same size. It's totally useless for ID'ing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@blitze You can center your view to be directly behind the gunsight on the monitor, then save the default position via Shift+F10. One each, per each plane. Then enter VR, and you'll have your centerlined position as the default for each plane you adjusted - even in 3DOF.

Edited by SCG_Fenris_Wolf
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, no need for that as I have ability to move head sidewaysish.  Not going to center my view all the way up on the sight with no way of getting it back in VR to normal position.

 

As for zoom in 2D - well those poor souls don't have the glory of 3D like we do.  The zoom is really only trying to replicate 1 to 1 scale but at the cost of peripheral vision - like great cost of which.  Now if that is taken advantaged of by my 2D jockey flying on a 70 Inch projector, well good for them but for the average person with their 27 Inch monitor - it is really needed and then, you have to pull back to tiny world scale to see what is going on around you.  It sucks and that is why I and you guys fly VR.

 

I'll take the VR option any day especially with a decent FOV. 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2019 at 12:48 PM, blitze said:

Yeah, no need for that as I have ability to move head sidewaysish.  Not going to center my view all the way up on the sight with no way of getting it back in VR to normal position.

 

As for zoom in 2D - well those poor souls don't have the glory of 3D like we do.  The zoom is really only trying to replicate 1 to 1 scale but at the cost of peripheral vision - like great cost of which.  Now if that is taken advantaged of by my 2D jockey flying on a 70 Inch projector, well good for them but for the average person with their 27 Inch monitor - it is really needed and then, you have to pull back to tiny world scale to see what is going on around you.  It sucks and that is why I and you guys fly VR.

 

I'll take the VR option any day especially with a decent FOV. 👍

Yeah but you can have both, but do as you wish, I personally wouldn't even play online if it wasn't for lufts mod.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, JonRedcorn said:

Yeah but you can have both, but do as you wish, I personally wouldn't even play online if it wasn't for lufts mod.

How does one play with Luft’s mod online? Do the settings stay and remain usable even on mods off servers?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BP_Lizard said:

How does one play with Luft’s mod online? Do the settings stay and remain usable even on mods off servers?

Yes, works just fine online, not sure how but just follow the instructions to install it, I'd suggest getting joytokey so you can set 2 buttons on your hotas to use for the 5x zoom and 10x zoom. It's the difference maker in online.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/28/2019 at 3:16 PM, blitze said:

Yeah - I do.  8K without lighthouses.  Have to map a center view button on your HOTAS and maybe modify your seated position forward a little to compensate for not being able to lean into the gun sight.  Pity we can map a lean to gun sight movement to HOTAS - it would make fighting in restricted 3DOF much easier.

 

Planes that are easier to fight in with 3DOF are Western Allied and Axis planes.  VVS planes - harder with the smaller gun sights.  I hear the 5K has better tracking with internal gyro than the 8K so you mightn't have to hit the recenter button as much.

So, You say I don't need to buy lighthouses or anything extra to play this game with the Pimax 5+? And I will still have tracking? Are you happy with it this way? And if you were to get 6DOF what purchase would you recommend?

 

Sorry for all the ??s, I just got a shipping notice and am scrambling for information😃

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, 3DOF which is what you get without lighthouses, it is playable.

 

Head moves sort of forward and sideways with slight up and down movement but....

Can lean into sight or stand up in cockpit.

What you can do and what I have done is lovingly go through each airplanes cockpit and reset my center profile so that my pilot is sitting head sort of near half way towards the sight.  So not full back, not full forward on the sight but somewhere inbetween.

 

This helps a bit with sighting for shooting and also checking six.  Not the ideal but workable.

 

When the lighthouses arrive for Pimax - they are the Steam version 2 design or adhere to the specs - you only will need 1 for 6DOF when seated.

 

In the meantime I play as I do.  Also, map the VR Center key to a button on your flight controller / HOTAS as you'll need it although I hear the 5K+ doesn't wander like the 8K does.  Still, it is handy to have and always center yourself when starting in cockpit before takeoff.👍

Link to post
Share on other sites

I fly without the Vive  lighthouse at times (occasionally the 5K+ doesn't sync quickly with the lighthouse) and have found that it does almost as well.  However I turn off the lighthouse setting and then do a horizontal centering in Pitools.    Works good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I bough a HTC light house and had it tracking a few times. Once it locked in it seemed to be fine but leaving the computer and coming back later, it doesn't recover well.

And now I cant seem to get it to track at all. I put a support ticket into Pimax but I think we are on different time zones and cant get together. I don't care for the 3dof. I am used to the Odyssey where tracking was easy.  I hope they come up with a fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have 5K+ working well for visibility/clarity etc but similar  problems with the HTC Vive Sensor.

When the sensor is  recognized by the HMD things are excellent but oftentimes it just will not recognize the sensor no matter what I do and I spend many frustrating

hours trying to get it to function with the sensor.

If anyone has solved this problem, please explain your procedure to get things operating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...