TheTacticalCat

Why I really want the Tempest

Back when I was about 11 or 12, I was watching a lot of 1946 gameplay, from Playthroughs of the Pacific with 1 F Jef, to "historical content )))))))". One that really stuck was Danny Sinclair's 2 parter on Rhubarb Missions:

Unfortunately, this video featured it's predecessor, the Typhoon, but I'm looking forward to reenacting these missions, and possibly, if I ever get round to it, recreating shot-for-shot this fantastic 2 parter that inspired me back half a decade ago.

Edited by TheTacticalCat
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

For a couple of decades the Tempest has been "my fighter" and I was overjoyed and still am that we're getting it back. I was figuring I'd have to wait a lot longer to get it. It may be several months out still but that's all good. I know the team, and Jason in particular, had to pull out all the stops to get the resources needed to make this beautiful fighter and I'm really looking forward to it.

Funny story but I had never heard of the Tempest until I played Aces Over Europe in ... 1993 or something like that. I was playing a Typhoon career, an aircraft I knew and loved, and then we got an upgrade to the Tempest. It was unexpected and I thought it incredibly cool and my interest in the aircraft has only grown from there. When we got in in IL-2: 1946 that was a fantastic moment for me as well. It was my go-to for all late war scenarios and I got to be quite good with it. Now... sometime in 2019 I'll be flying it in the latest IL-2 engine. Yeah, that'll be awesome :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

The cockpit in that thing is probably one of the best done cockpits in il2 1946. Was really surprised how good it looked.

• Upvote 3

The Tempest is the aircraft I'm most looking forward to in BoBP, I enjoyed it a lot in '46 and reading pilot's memior's only increased my interest.

It's a pity Jafa (eliot martin) removed many of his great IL2 vids but some are still around including this Tempest based classic:

Edited by HBPencil
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, HBPencil said:

The Tempest is the aircraft I'm most looking forward to in BoBP, I enjoyed it a lot in '46 and reading pilot's memior's only increased my interest.

It's a pity Jafa (eliot martin) removed many of his great IL2 vids but some are still around including this Tempest based classic:

That was incredible!!

The Tempest is just a beautiful aircraft.

It combines that beauty with an equally acute, visceral "mean" streak that it's hard to put a finger on.

Can't argue with those cannons...but it's also that engine...it's just a damn cool airplane.

If we ever get a Channel map I might just have to crate a Clostermann campaign.

The Brits knew how to build an aircraft.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Gambit21 said:

It combines that beauty of an equally acute, visceral "mean" streak that it's hard to put a finger on.

Can't argue with those cannons...but it's also that engine...it's just a damn cool airplane.

Closterman's Channel Ops were flown in a Spitfire IX but his Tempest exploits were all covering the territory that we're getting for Bodenplatte. That's how cool this is going to be when we get the Tempest :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

Closterman's Channel Ops were flown in a Spitfire IX but his Tempest exploits were all covering the territory that we're getting for Bodenplatte. That's how cool this is going to be when we get the Tempest :)

Thanks for that - been a while since I read his book.

With a channel map we can start with the Spit missions, then move on to the Tempest. :)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

[...]

Totally spot on, just look at those incredible engines😍

15 hours ago, HBPencil said:

Yes, a great little video... I have a ton of the old IL2 vids on an external drive in my draw.  :biggrin:

I connect it up from time to time and have a watch of them... Some of the vids have great music tracks on them as well.

Even if I hear one of those tracks on the radio, I always think of the IL2 video that it was on, not the actual group that sang them!

If Tempest will be anything similar to what it was in Il-2 1946 it will be great airplane to fight with in this game, and by the look of P-47 cockpit and how great its visbility is even with that armor plate for pilot i expect better rear view in BoBp then we had in Il-2 1946, and that was my only problem with tempest there. Good speed at low and mid alts combined with easy to manage engines limitations compared to usa airplanes (i expect same limits as on Spit9), good firepower of 4xhispano one punch gun, and you add exelant all around visability, you dont need anything more to make it best fighter allieds will have in game that masses can use.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1

I am with OP and everyone else when it comes to the Tempest.

I 've always been fascinated by its perfect mix of british style and mean looks. it might be as graceful as a spitfire but when it comes to ground attack it is as punching as a P-47.

Add to all this a book I read when I was teenager from a belgian Pilot who came from the same city as I do and flew on typhoon, and you might see why my heart was beating when I looked at the planeset anouncement for Bp.

One of my favourite aspects of the Tempest is that you have two different engines that quite radically change the way it looks - the Typhoon-like Napier Sabre, and the Sea Fury-like Bristol Centaurus. I can't wait to play around with the Tempest Mk.V, and hope that one day we might see the Mk.II. 

As much as I love the video, Tempests, even though tested and cleared to use rockets, never actually used them in anger during WWII...

8 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

never actually used them in anger

With those 4 20 mm's, I can't imagine there's much use for rockets....

... Also Didn't they figure out that Typhoon rocket attacks had a hit rate of <5%? 

Edited by Diggun

4 minutes ago, Diggun said:

With those 4 20 mm's, I can't imagine there's much use for rockets....

... Also Didn't they figure out that Typhoon rocket attacks had a hit rate of >5%? 

Doesn't that read as greater than 5%?

lol... I can imagine that a broadside of rockets fired from a Typhoon, even if they landed 30m from my vehicle, would probably make me get the hell out of it and run like hell!

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

It combines that beauty of an equally acute, visceral "mean" streak that it's hard to put a finger on.

Dcs World has for the spitfire mk 9, clostermanns Big show Campaign,flying Before and during Normandy invision.If you have read the book you will feel familiar with some events...

48 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

As much as I love the video, Tempests, even though tested and cleared to use rockets, never actually used them in anger during WWII...

Yes for Tempest they should not even be in game, but as we have them on Spit9 already i expect they will be modification for Tempest also, and it will be up to mission makers to limit them. I expect to get modification of 2x500lbs, 2x1000lbs, and 8xRP3 rockets, 9lbs unlimited engine time, and 5min of 11lbs emergancy. Oh and probably well get modification with same gyro gunsight we have on Spit9.

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taking the Tempest thing further it would be great (at some time) to get a remake of 'Secret weapons of the Lufwaffe' and some 'funnies' that could be flown.

After the Med and Pacific of course...🤙

11 minutes ago, Georgio said:

Taking the Tempest thing further it would be great (at some time) to get a remake of 'Secret weapons of the Lufwaffe' and some 'funnies' that could be flown.

After the Med and Pacific of course...🤙

I would like to have some rare late war planes which saw some action (Ta152, He162, Me163) but pls no 1946 planes.

But if we will have heavies some day I would like to sit in the Bachem Ba 349 Natter. I really like this "plane". ( I know it was not in action)

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

I would like to have some rare late war planes which saw some action (Ta152, He162, Me163) but pls no 1946 planes.

But if we will have heavies some day I would like to sit in the Bachem Ba 349 Natter. I really like this "plane". ( I know it was not in action)

I just had this image of some of these planes in the current game. 

Me 163: Get airborne.  Get to altitude in just a minute or two, see nothing, run out of fuel, return to base.  Fly next mission if you survive the landing.

He 162: Get airborne ... maybe.  Have plane disintegrate after the first maneuver.  Bail out.  Fly next mission if you survive the breakup.

Ta 152: Get really, really high. Fly around for much longer than the 163.  See nothing. Return to base.   Fly next mission, because at least this plane won't kill you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

28 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I just had this image of some of these planes in the current game. 

Me 163: Get airborne.  Get to altitude in just a minute or two, see nothing, run out of fuel, return to base.  Fly next mission if you survive the landing.

He 162: Get airborne ... maybe.  Have plane disintegrate after the first maneuver.  Bail out.  Fly next mission if you survive the breakup.

Ta 152: Get really, really high. Fly around for much longer than the 163.  See nothing. Return to base.   Fly next mission, because at least this plane won't kill you.

tsssssss, it was not nice of you😉

Its called immersion! to fly these planes even if you not survive the mission.

back on topic:

the Hispano cannons on the Tempest, was they fired all at once or you could fire only two of them?

Edited by Voidhunger
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Diggun said:

Also Didn't they figure out that Typhoon rocket attacks had a hit rate of <5%? 

No, they 100% hit rate: the ground, unlucky livestock, vehicles (not all German), a few tanks, etc.

But hitting exactly what you were aiming for, well... 

Edited by EAF19_Marsh
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, 77.CountZero said:

Oh and probably well get modification with same gyro gunsight we have on Spit9.

Never fitted on Tempests. 

14 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Tempest II had it as standard.

5 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

Tempest II had it as standard.

We're getting the V though. 

18 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Ok disnt know that, then maybe we get one projected dirctly on front glass as mod, and normal one 

6 minutes ago, Diggun said:

We're getting the V though. 

Yes, but Luke made a general statement. In fact most Tempests (after the war) got a gyro sight. The problem initially with the first batches of the Tempest V was that there was not much space under the windscreen. The original sight mounted projected directly on the armored glass, hence there was no view obstruction at all. (How cool would that have been on the Spit. Giving it a more tilted windscreen and projecting on that one would have given you considerably better view plus added flight speed due to lower drag.) Mounting that big thing right in your face wasn't popular at all with the pilots (they openly discuraged mounting it), especially since they were flying low and in bad weather in many cases. You better have some view ahead then.

The Tempest II has a slightly revised dashboard for placing the gyro sight.

20 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

Ok disnt know that, then maybe we get one projected dirctly on front glass as mod, and normal one 

The direct projection was, I thought, pretty standard for the Series II that we should be getting.

As a mostly ground-attack guy, I prefer the Typhoon.  And it just looks meaner, like a ground-attack fitted Jug on steroids.

Tempest is really what the Typhoon should have been, so while the Tiffie has a key place in BoBp the former was a better overall choice - I think - given the limited selection that we have at first pass before any additional releases.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

The direct projection was, I thought, pretty standard for the Series II that we should be getting.

It's been a while but I had thought that all Series II and some Series I aircraft had the direct projection fitted as standard.

6 hours ago, ShamrockOneFive said:

It's been a while but I had thought that all Series II and some Series I aircraft had the direct projection fitted as standard.

Yep, could be. I recall something about Beaumont recommending it during testing but it might have been also on the production Series I as well.

Another nice thing should be that it cruises extremely fast, so despite the somewhat questionable implementation of 'engine limits' and the 'stop-watch' approach, it should be motoring along very fast at SL and at high RPM for extended periods of time. Also VNE is around 540 mph IAS at low altitude (860 kph) while roll rate is better above 300mph than below.

Taken together, a powerful a/c to be flown with one eye on the ASI and maybe less 'carefree' than the Spitfire IXE, but extremely strong at medium-low altitude (hoping we do not receive some terribly chimera of a Series I a/c).

Marsh... you forgot the mad output of 'UNFAIR' that will be screamed to the heavens, because..... 'Balance'  :joy:

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Thats even better then as that one gives more clean view

28 minutes ago, EAF19_Marsh said:

Another nice thing should be that it cruises extremely fast, so despite the somewhat questionable implementation of 'engine limits' and the 'stop-watch' approach, it should be motoring along very fast at SL and at high RPM for extended periods of time. Also VNE is around 540 mph IAS at low altitude (860 kph) while roll rate is better above 300mph than below.

Taken together, a powerful a/c to be flown with one eye on the ASI and maybe less 'carefree' than the Spitfire IXE, but extremely strong at medium-low altitude (hoping we do not receive some terribly chimera of a Series I a/c).

Willing to bet that it will be gimped in some way...

30 minutes ago, Leifr said:

Willing to bet that it will be gimped in some way... 

I really hope not, or what the point in featuring? There is more than enough published material on the 11lb boost, Series II aircraft around - including performance and comparative trials as well as several pilot accounts for reference. Not any one should be taken in isolation, but the overriding factual and subjective summaries are:

- Very fast at low level (about the fastest in BoBp at c. 420mph at 5,000ft, , though in competition with the D-9 and maybe K-4 'normal' models)

- Cruised closer to max speed thanks to the Sabre design and clean airframe (should be faster cruise than anything else at SL)

- Exceptional cockpit view (akin to P-51)

- Good SL climb that drops after 10,000 ft (off top of head c. 3,600ft/min to 4,000ft then declining to c.3,000 ft / m to 10,000)

- Very good dive and zoom climb (better than Spit, keeps with P-51)

- Roll slightly worse than Spitfire until 300 mph when it becomes better than Spit (worse than Fw)

- Very steady platform, requiring less trimming with common speed changes  - ie not inc;udingt/o or max. speed dive (better than Typhoon and Spit)

- Strong gun platform (better than Typhoon and Spit)

- Heavy armament (arguably best of BoBp in terms of balance)

The Series II / Sabre IIB model commence deliveries in September '44, so this is the model for BoBp. There is a jpeg of a pilot card for the Seires II / Sabre IIB as of Feb '45 (though this should not be immediately seized upon as being only flown from Feb - this simply happens to be the date of this particular card). It refers to '5 min combat allowance' in terms of range reduction but would have to check my Pilots Notes for actual engine limits but it would be nice to see power over recommended time = sudden massive engine temp rise that can be controlled  using radiator and rapid engine management rather than 5:01 = 'bang!'

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/tempest/tempest-v-ads-sabre-IIb.jpg

Edited by EAF19_Marsh
  • Like 1