Bonkin

TFS Developer Update - Patch 4.55 February 2019

4 hours ago, RAUBKATER said:

Dear developers,

Great work with the Dewoitine French fighter!

I've had a concern on my mind for quite some time now about why nothing is being done about creating (at least one) flyable model of the Luftwaffe Dornier Do 17z bomber?...

I mean, historically, the Lutwaffe had more of this type in service during the French campaign AND the Battle of Britain than the other 2 medium bombers (e.i., He 111s and Ju 88s)!

I'm sure other community members wonder about the same thing , and would probably pay extra just to be able to fly this type... and then there's the Boulton-Paul "Defiant" RAF fighter_used throughout the french campaign and just about as long as the Luftwaffes  use of the Ju 87 "Stuka" in the B.O.B. ( which, you know, IS flyable)...Please enlighten! _ sincerly, RAUBKATER

It requires an enormous amount of work to create flyable bomber cockpits.  The 3D work for the Dornier cockpit would take 9-12 months.

There are already three flyable Blue side bombers... the He-111H, the Ju-88A, and the Fiat BR-20.

From our perspective it was more important to give the Red side a flyable Wellington... the Blenheim is really not a serious bomb carrier.

We are also updating the He-111H and Ju-88A with later models... the H-6 and A-4/A-5.  This is much easier to do than the create the entire new set of cockpits/gunner positions for the Dornier.

There is also the fact the Dornier was basically considered obsolescent after the BoB.... and gradually taken out of service.   The Heinkel and Junkers continued through the war.

We are also creating the Ju-88C heavy fighter version... another important aircraft which saw service throughout the war... more important than the Dornier.

There is also the fact the Dornier is just not a very good bomber when compared to the Heinkel and Junkers... smaller bombload, weak protection, poor armament.  Most players would not fly it.

These same arguments apply to the Defiant... it would take a large effort to get this aircraft flyable... and most people would fly it once and then discard it.

The Dewoitine D.520 actually fit with the current channel map... since it arrived in service late in the Battle of France, after the breakthrough by the Germans. 

The D.520 is also an excellent fighter for the time period... very competitive with the 109's.  And it saw service with Vichy France in Syria and Morocco/Algeria during the Torch invasion.  In fact captured D.520's were used by the Italians in the defense of Sicily, by the Bulgarians in defense of the USAAF B-24 raids in 1944, (did very well versus the P-38's) and the aircraft was even used by the Germans in the south of France in 1944 as a ground attack aircraft during Operation Dragoon, the invasion of Southern France.

We have limited resources at TF... we need to focus them on what will work best with the maps and our scenarios.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is that possible that I didn’t find the Dewoitine in the game? How Is that possible?

I will double and triple check wish Ingo to have thé pleasure to fly that one

What it would be a great idea as an evolution of COD would be a pre dday and battle of normandy. Even if after dday the LW would has been weakened, the pre campaign should be really interesting

2 hours ago, DN308 said:

Is that possible that I didn’t find the Dewoitine in the game? 

Yes, ... was not released, yet. :)

Will come in TF 5.0 "Tobruk" package (payware).

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DN308 said:

And some already flown it?

Look at the Updates on this page and you will see video and images which include the Dewoitine D.520.  It will be released with TF 5.0.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I saw some. 

So the question... when?

and why not a battle of France with this kinda planes?

6 hours ago, DN308 said:

What it would be a great idea as an evolution of COD would be a pre dday and battle of normandy. Even if after dday the LW would has been weakened, the pre campaign should be really interesting

Yes, that actually was the crucial period in the fight for air superiority over the European continent.

January to June 1944 saw the Luftwaffe Jagdflieger force damaged beyond repair.

1 minute ago, DN308 said:

Yeah, I saw some. 

So the question... when?

and why not a battle of France with this kinda planes?

A full Battle of France scenario would require a lot of other aircraft besides the D.520 as well as a large new France/Belgium/Germany map.

At this stage we are focusing on the Desert and the existing Channel map.

• Thanks 1

And that’s could be definitely a great game support no?

many great planes, many great missions and campaigns around the 75th dday anniversary 

49 minutes ago, Buzzsaw said:

Yes, that actually was the crucial period in the fight for air superiority over the European continent.

January to June 1944 saw the Luftwaffe Jagdflieger force damaged beyond repair.

A full Battle of France scenario would require a lot of other aircraft besides the D.520 as well as a large new France/Belgium/Germany map.

At this stage we are focusing on the Desert and the existing Channel map.

Ok, thanks for your answers.

I really like COD, its graphic quality and the gaming opportunities.

I really think COD is the best base for more games, maps and great battles. More than Il-2 GB.

so congrats TF and keep on the outstanding work 

• Like 1

The mighty Sunderland. The plane that single-handedly drove up the price of real-estate.

. . . and bent a lot of U-boats,

• Like 1

2 hours ago, buster_dee said:

The mighty Sunderland. The plane that single-handedly drove up the price of real-estate.

Apologies as this one has obviously gone over my head but.....eh?:)

Ah, I see what you mean.  Yes, I've seen interior photo's;  didn't it have something like four decks including a sickbay, galley and bedspaces? 

On 3/16/2019 at 11:09 AM, danielprates said:

I would happily pay extra for the DO17. But since we are on the subject... I would pay even more for a flyable Sutherland!

And if we do a Bay of Biscay map, likely we will do a Sunderland... and FW-200.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Buzzsaw said:

And if we do a Bay of Biscay map, likely we will do a Sunderland... and FW-200.

That would be the joy of joys!

On 3/16/2019 at 6:09 PM, danielprates said:

I would pay even more for a flyable Sutherland!

I don't think Donald Sutherland would be too impressed if you tried to fly him...  :o:

Donald-Sutherland.jpg

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Trooper117 said:

I don't think Donald Sutherland would be too impressed if you tried to fly him...  :o:

Donald-Sutherland.jpg

Hehe... crap, it's SUNDERLAND, not sutherland!