SShrike

What was your first combat flight sim?

4 hours ago, 56RAF_Roblex said:

Same here.  I found it full of people flying 800mph P51s with Tank armour and 88mm cannons 🙂

I quit the day I saw a Corsair going trans sonic in level flight and with about 10 .50s on each wing.  When it fired the entire leading edge lit up.

17 hours ago, CrazyDuck said:

Chuck Yeager's Air Combat! Had quite a span - 6 flyables from WW2 (P-51 and Fw 190) over Korea (F-86, MiG-15) to Vietnam (MiG-21, F-4).

Same here and then EAW plus a few others. Never liked Microshaft FS.

1989. I played this game hundreds of hours.

image.png.158dea595211f350fe751479e6b043c6.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Played (nearly) all of them, still SWOTL has an extra bonus in my heart. To honor a little gem: first time I thought "now we're somewhere between a game and a simulator" was the Tornado-sim and it's overwhelming mission planner:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado_(1993_video_game)

Tornado - see mission planner > 2:45

Edited by 216th_Retnek

9 hours ago, Rjel said:

You could have up to 75 enemy planes in one mission, 150 total. 5 flights with max 15 ac each side.

14 minutes ago, 216th_Retnek said:

first time I thought "now we're somewhere between a game and a simulator"

Well, and to me it was EF2000! That was incredible at the time.

3 minutes ago, ZachariasX said:

You could have up to 75 enemy planes in one mission, 150 total. 5 flights with max 15 ac each side.

Yes, but don't forget that poly count wasn't an issue then. Most of the objects were displayed as sprits...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, FlyingShark said:

Gunship from Microprose on the C64:

:salute:

I totaly forgot about C64 LOL..I was thingking just about PC.

Yeah, this and Blue max (though not a cockpit sim)....

bluem.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

EF2000! That was incredible at the time

EF 2000 was properly amazing. Level of detail, persistent, dynamic campaign, moody as hell....

Edited by Diggun

2 hours ago, -IRRE-Therion said:

Yes, but don't forget that poly count wasn't an issue then. Most of the objects were displayed as sprits...

Sure, all planes were just spites that changed depending on the angle you looked at them. And it was no problem to shoot all 75 enemies in „ace“ mode in one flight with normal, limited ammo settings. :)

And yet it was a lot of fun.

• Upvote 1

I think it was Falcon 3.0. Probably around... 1994 maybe. I bought a 286 (386?) with no sound and a black and white screen off a buddy and that started it all.

Had a ton of fun with this.

falcon-3-0_24.png

13 hours ago, Rjel said:

Fantastic game for Amiga!

I remember F4U secret sortie first (I was 2 when it came out, think my dad got it and it was on the old childhood family computer). First one which was properly mine was EAW (still waiting for a worthy successor). 

I believe it was Ultimate Air Combat, though my first real combat flight sim was a combo box of Battlehawks 1942, Their Finest Hour, and Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe my folks got me for Christmas a few years later. 

I still miss those long fighter sweep missions I used to run in SWOTL. I was fascinated by the P-47 before then, but that game cemented my love of the plane, to this day. 

Edited by Voyager

I can't just name the first. That just ages me. I'll list my top 10 "game changer" sims.

C=64
1. F-15 Strike Eagle
2. F-19 Stealth Fighter

Mac
3. Chuck Yeagers AirCombat
4. Red Barron
5. Graphsims F/A-18
6. A-10 Attack
7. Warbirds 1.xx -> 3.0
8. Warthunder

PC
9. DCS
10. IL2 BOS

I also have to acknowledge Falcon 3 and the Targetware series. Unfortunately Targetware went to the great crater and I never had time to get into Falcon. 

Chuck Yeager, Red Barron and the original Warbirds still holds my most fond flight siming memories. I played these for hours and hours a day. These 3 mark the end of the "limitless" time I had to flight sim. Now days if I can fly an hour a month I am happy.

Edited by Mabes72

Novalogic Mig29 and F16. I was a member of Fulcrum Squadron back in the day on Nova World online. Those were some good times

S!Blade<><

pt4P03B.jpg

I just started with the flight sim games, Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown is my very first experience.

I haven't played anything to compare it with, so I can't really tell whether overall it's good, or not so much but so far I enjoy it a ton!
I don't plan on trying anything else soon because I plan to master this title thoroughly first, I do love the controls and graphics!
For a beginner pilot such as myself, this is a tough cookie to crack, but challenges are what makes you progress, so just bring them on! 

See you in the skies! Cheers!

• Upvote 1

Nice!  I still have some fond memories of Ace Combat 3 (or was it 4?) that had some rather haunting cutscenes and atmospheric radio chatter.

First arcade was Ace Combat 3 (gutted out European/North American version)

First sim was Microsoft CFS 3

:salute:

Edited by Alexmarine28

On 2/20/2019 at 12:38 AM, Voidhunger said:

Ahh memories... EMS,XMS,MSDOS,VGA monitor, first soundblaster ...

And the 3DFX Voodoo 5. The one time in my PC history that I had the Top Graphics card available. It was like 200$ at the time. Unheard of!! Also 58K dial up modems for online play. LOL it is amazing now that it all worked pretty good back in the day! LOL

This was it at release. Voodoo 5 5000 PCI bus support, two VSA-100s, 64MB VRAM, :rofl:four pixels per clock cycle, 667-733MPps, US price $229.

S!Blade<><

Aces of the Pacific with the WW2 1946 addon and then Aces Over Europe.  I don't miss the boot floppy.  I eventually wound up with dual Voodoo 2 cards in SLI (Single Line Interleaved) in that machine which I still have, by the way.  Those cards gave JAW-DROPPING 3D results with Red Baron 3D!  I'd never seen anything like that before.  Amazing stuff.

Jane's WW2 Fighters was fun ... even with the orchestra flying with you in the jump seat.  I had the Bambi mod which increased the number of random deer bounding across the countryside.  When strafed they would collapse and then ... just disappear.

• Like 1

My very first flight simulator game was this one...

Followed by Flying Corps Gold and Combat flight simulator 1