blackram

For how long we will tolerate this?

I am also very curious what were the "Russian regimes". But their dilemma was either you do that or die. Also if the engine was damages their best bet was crash landing than bailing because it was very risky to bail out from the Cobra. I also think they were using "their regimes" only over their territory. In the old  game 1946, the 109 G2 was able to catch me (in  a Cobra) only with closed radiators, so it was a risk only in winter on deck. I do not have Kuban, in the old game I was thought by very good Russian the trick was to be very careful with the angle of attack and to apply flaps as needed.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

simple solution of limiting both sides to only 42 players (or 45 like taw did) make unbalance problem less and it still alowes players to chose side they wont, as your atleast alow side that has less ppl to get back up, this could be implemented by devs in game as option for servers

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JG27_Kornezov said:

Looks like Land lease deliveries of fuel are not reaching you ;). So you are stuck with Russian fuel below fuel octane of 100, so you use from 70 to 74..

That is of course in role playing perpective ;).

None of the soviet engines used 70 to 74 octane fuel. Lowest value possible for M-62 of I-16 was 88 octan 4Б-70 type (standard was 90 octane 3Б-74)

All of main engine families = M-105, AM-38 and M-82 were cleared for LL 100 octane fuel (soviet designation 1Б-95)

• Like 1

Just now, JG27_Kornezov said:

I am also very curious what were the "Russian regimes". But their dilemma was either you do that or die. Also if the engine was damages their best bet was crash landing than bailing because it was very risky to bail out from the Cobra. I also think they were using "their regimes" only over their territory. In the old  game 1946, the 109 G2 was able to catch me (in  a Cobra) only with closed radiators, so it was a risk only in winter on deck. I do not have Kuban, in the old game I was thought by very good Russian the trick was to be very careful with the angle of attack and to apply flaps as needed.

The P-39' central part of the fuselage is very strong; build like a bridge, basically. Only wings and tail are mono-coque and the bottom part of fuselage is clean. It ditches as safely as it can be - from the part 2:  "flying in a safe" and "happen to flip over on landing, they were not turned into lump of flesh, as happened to twice HSU A. F. Klubov after transitioning from a P-39 to an La-7".

No wonder why Pokryshkin didn't want to transition to anything La...

On 2/21/2019 at 2:10 PM, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

It is a really interesting topic. 

First of all, I like to state some facts. 
- Most of the "always blue" players are meembers of a squadron. They are experienced enough to fly as a formation, and fight together, for teamplay, better effectiveness in-game.
They fly blue planes because they love those crates. Not because its better, or faster, or turns better, or maybe because of better guns.
- There are more "always blue" squadrons with 5+ members. 
- Yes, there are some brand new players who join for the team with bigger numbers. Most of them just doing donuts after their engine started up, or wreck their planes with the war thunder-ish "engine is on, full power" behavior, so they are just familirazing themselves with this sim. 

Right now, all I can suggest to the "always red" players.
- Advertise your squadron so lone-wolves can join, and they will realize its far better to play within squadrons. This takes a lot of effort for the squadron-leaders, yes. And a lot of learning. 
You must help your newcomers with everything: microphones, graphic settings, joysticks, head-tracking devies, etc.
This means, squadron memebers have to learn how to communicate with each other "loud and clear" during combat too. 

These are just my few cents. 
And yes, I know what it takes to lead a squadron. I'm doing it since years now.

While all the facts you presented here are true, they were cherry picked to paint the blue side perspective of the problem - which is a problem on its own.

Facts missing from your list:

• not all pilots fly in squads
  • squad membership shouldn't be mandatory for MP
  • pilots striving for balance are forced to fly red, they are not "always red" pilots
  • related to the above, if we all join blue there are no targets to shoot at
  • blue side has more planes to chose from, especially Bodenplatte, and situation will only worsen as we near summer

With facts you listed, one could draw a conclusion there should be an imbalance in favor of red pilots. Not the other way around, as is now.  :)

NHF, but please don't bring squad leadership as justification for "other side should do it too". I speak from a squadron leader perspective myself, been doing that +10 years.

On 2/21/2019 at 6:13 PM, 77.CountZero said:

simple solution of limiting both sides to only 42 players (or 45 like taw did) make unbalance problem less and it still alowes players to chose side they wont, as your atleast alow side that has less ppl to get back up, this could be implemented by devs in game as option for servers

Fully agreed. It is simple as that. Until we get up to date (year 2019.) MP interface.

As an example of a modern MP I will use Rising Storm 2: Vietnam. Few options when joining a server:

• +/-3 players per team are allowed, first screen you see is team selection
  • in case the server is full - you can enter a que, as soon as the slot opens you are in
  • autobalance is forced after every map, in case players don't do it themselves (don't like it? You can always re-join or find another server)
  • when on a team, people are auto sorted into squads (your squad is denoted with green color vs. everyone else on the team)
  • there are squad and global channels (integrated VOIP)

Add to this all other cool stuff 1946 had, though with 3rd party software HyperLobby, and you can see how "ancient" interface we have in IL-2:GB is. Especially the one for COOPs. No wonder you see so little servers running them.

Well, until recently that is. Finally we're getting some love in that MP department. Fingers crossed we get a complete overhaul by the summer when Allied iron starts rolling out.

Because all of this, DBS, and I know few other pilots, simply spend time with other sims or offline. MP with the unbalance as it stands lately - is a one sided story/fun.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I believe they call that War. Think of that poor SOB in late 44  with a 100 -1 allies advantage against your dwindling Luftwaffe. At least you dont have to lose your life, Just your K/D ratio .

This issue of side balance will always be a problem until the game has better inbuilt systems to do balancing. Servers like TAW have recently put balancing into the game , but they do it with special post processing scripts (external to game , made by community not the developers). Any server that wants to use a similar system relies on the programing skills of the server administrators.

I'm hoping with the upcoming server commander and improved lobby system devs are talking about it will be easy to make better matchmaking possible (and more interesting options around this for team play).

Till then I can wait and be a little patient.

What ever happens it needs to configurable and optional , which I understand is what devs are working on.

The other thing is this game is not centralised servers run by the developers its community hosted single instance servers, that creates a different place to something like warthunder multiplayer servers

ie there is no load balancing players over a number of servers, each server is stand alone instance.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
typo
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Ehret said:

The max permissible diving RPM for the V-1710-63 is stated as 3120. The engine shouldn't be "throwing any rods" at this rev, yet. If that was happening then it could mean that they revved it even higher... how much higher?

I do not think higher but longer, according to "Russian front line regimes". However not every p39 was the same some were used, I mean the British versions, so it really depended on the resource remained in the engine, plus the statistical probability of engine break. The factory specifications were made to make safe operations and to maximize the engine lifetime. But when in battle the expected lifetime survival in hours is 10 times lower than the engine resource. So you can't blame the pilots to try to balance statistical probabilities, as overall that is better outcome :). I guess on the German side it was the same the limits were designed to maximise engine life, the engine won't break immediately if you make more than 1 min of Emergency in the 109. 
So the existing  game mechanic of rebuilding emergency power by switching back to normal power seems legit to me, but you have slightly less than before. Does it apply 
to P39?

In the Russian planes according to real life memories also they have their limits even if they were not always in the manual. Bulgarian WW2 pilots flew 109s and immediately after the war yak 3. They said that you can't stay much on 100 % in the Yak because it starts pumping oil in your canopy. They were thinking the Russians gave them faulty planes trying to kill them as former nazi allies. But when they talked to Russian pilots they understood that it is the way it is.

Regarding the ways to deal with the balance ?I think that everybody is right.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

17 hours ago, -[HRAF]BubiHUN said:

They fly blue planes because they love those crates. Not because its better, or faster, or turns better, or maybe because of better guns.

lol

When I fly Spit on Berloga it is hard for me to loose "individual turning fight". Competent blues are killing me by tactics, outnumbering me, shooting me while I am on the six of somebody. Shooting me while I am distracted. So that is the right way to fight me. However being on the receiving end fighting multiple blues in the same time very fast starts to become frustrating.
When the numbers equalize. The blues are in different energy states. Same are high, some are low. So the Russians on Berloga (for example),  have a numerical local advantage low.
That is observed in other bigger servers. There are a lot LW staying in high altitudes leaving the low fliers outnumbered even if the numbers are equal on the server. It is the way it is.
So to survive demands from the German side cooperative team flying every time they fight low.
The Russians also fly cooperatively to win the maps, just see the 20 guys staying on the Wings of liberty TS (the dream team). Being part of a group is also much more fun. MP alone and with others is a different experience.

Edited by JG27_Kornezov

I do not think higher but longer, according to "Russian front line regimes". However not every p39 was the same some were used, I mean the British versions, so it really depended on the resource remained in the engine, plus the statistical probability of engine break. The factory specifications were made to make safe operations and to maximize the engine lifetime.

The maximum limits from the air-racing for the P-39/V-1710s seem to be 2000hp from 86" @ 3200rpm using 140 octane AV-GAS + ADI. The engine was modified and probably wouldn't be practical in war-time but still - it gives the ceiling.

In the Russian planes according to real life memories also they have their limits even if they were not always in the manual. Bulgarian WW2 pilots flew 109s and immediately after the war yak 3. They said that you can't stay much on 100 % in the Yak because it starts pumping oil in your canopy. They were thinking the Russians gave them faulty planes trying to kill them as former nazi allies. But when they talked to Russian pilots they understood that it is the way it is.

British planes were similar: "the British engines after having been flown for a short time at high power, throw so much oil that the windshield is covered and visibility poor;".

In the P-39 it didn't matter if engine was throwing oil or not; the pilot was spared of such nuisances because the engine was behind.

Edited by Ehret

It's insane that this has turned into a flight model discussion.

Server balance needs to be improved, server hosts need better tools to use to do that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

We need to take into account the fact that there are alot of pilots who are "casual" players. Usually flying solo. It must be a frustration for them to fly online. We need to be welcoming for all of our players base (which isnt big anyways). I know ppl who quits because of the current state of affairs in MP. Not to mention problem with netcode when the servers are full.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, blackram said:

We need to take into account the fact that there are alot of pilots who are "casual" players. Usually flying solo. It must be a frustration for them to fly online. We need to be welcoming for all of our players base (which isnt big anyways). I know ppl who quits because of the current state of affairs in MP. Not to mention problem with netcode when the servers are full.

Thats true, but anyone starting to play online will have to realise that for 2-6months of constant playing online he will just be easy food and dont realy understand whats going on no mather what side or server he plays( also poor and short visiblity ranges in this game favor veterans and make rookies not even know who or what happend). MP enviroment in this game will just prolong this period if that guy wonts to play on vvs side. I posponed starting to play online in this game as long as i could as i knew whats to expect from expiriance in 1946, east front early to mid war heavy favors axis side and most will play that, so i knew ill have to play on vvs, so i was enjoying playing clod online on axis side as long as it was posible before converting to here, where its pointles to play on axis side online if you wont some exictment. If im new for example and not fan of axis airplanes, and i have to play online in this game, lol i would stick to SP and never tuch MP here, and play online in WT games only.

Edited by 77.CountZero