Jump to content
w00dy

Will I regret swapping my trusty MS force feedback 2 joystick for a VKB Gladiator MK.2?

Recommended Posts

I have had my MSFF2 for at least 15 years now and it’s still going well. But while I was looking at rudder pedals on eBay I came across a VKB Gladiator joystick, which I thought looked great and I liked the button setup on it. After watching lots a YouTube videos and reading some reviews on the stick, I watched the eBay sale for a few days as no one put a bid on it and its starting price was only £25. So after a couple of days I decided to bid and now it’s gone over what I’m willing to pay for a second hand joystick and it’s only about £30 more for a new one. So does anyone have a VKB Gladiator MK.2 and what are their experiences with the joystick and Is it a good swap for a MSFF2?

 

I know if my MSFF2 broke tomorrow I would get the VKB Gladiator MK.2 without doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MSFF2 is a force feedback joystick so no comparison to any of the others. Then again, the Gladiator pro Mk2 (regular one) is a good swap IMHO. Ofcourse, the pro version (and the Gunfighter) is another level with its progressive resistance and full metal gimbal mechanism.

Edited by blackram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had my MkII Gladiator (non-pro) for well over a year now and it has been trouble free and always reliable. Buttons are easily recognized in IL*2 settings out of the box without the use of the VKB software.

100_0303.JPG

Edited by Gordon200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

How could you...

 

Look at this to what is possible.

You need to take your socks off to operate the buttons?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gordon200 said:

You need to take your socks off to operate the buttons?

 

Or he has arms like a orangutan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finally gave up my MS FFB2 about 8 months ago due to issues with the game.  I went for a Virpil.  I was worried about losing the FFB.  As it turns out, I don't miss it at all and control of aircraft is actually better now. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, VBF-12_Stick-95 said:

I finally gave up my MS FFB2 about 8 months ago due to issues with the game.  I went for a Virpil.  I was worried about losing the FFB.  As it turns out, I don't miss it at all and control of aircraft is actually better now. 

 

Was the gaming issue to do with in game stutter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Νο, Ι've had my Gladiator nearly 2 years and it's still perfect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

This is mine:

No monitor. You launch the game from Windows in your HMD?

I too have the Odyssey+ and hadn't thought of that. Opens up possibilities for making my set up more cockpit like.

You kids think of everything.

Edited by Gordon200

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

This is mine:

1.thumb.jpg.66b01a396416815c725eb26d25ac9f96.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.28bff046d4d349b801990124065a51f0.jpg

We have the very same setup even the GVL 44 , I should receive this month.

Something that made a world of difference in the Odyssey + was putting the velour padding, replacing the original, not only more comfortable, but your eyes are closer to the lenses and the sweet spot its increased by a lot, plus the gap under the nose is gone.

Totally worth it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This simulator without FB is not the same, I am using the G940 only because there is no other option that could replace the joystick, the FFB helps you a lot identifying the stalls, how much can you turn... I would not change it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you get full FF response like when the stick was originally issued? I’ve tried mine and found there is much less FF now. Nothing when the guns are fired, a little resistance on the stick sometimes, no rumble when taxiing, no jolt on wheels up. 

 

I have the original driver discs but am unable to install on Windows 7. If you have a way to get better feedback, please let me know. I would very much like to reactivate this old friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, w00dy said:

 

Was the gaming issue to do with in game stutter?

 

I did experience some but was able to overcome it and was not the main reason.  The main issue was losing FFB while flying.  It would do so on an Alt-Tab and when I entered my first flight.  It would also occur while in flight for no apparent reason.  The only way to get it back was to go to Key Controls and they escape back but it may take 3 to 4 times to take.  As you know, without FFB there is no resistance to the stick which I found difficult to accurately control.

 

I had a FFB2 for over 12 years so the change was not something I did lightly.  So glad I made the change though.  There are other indicators of speed, etc. within the game that offsets the loss of some vibration.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have Gladiator Mkii and Gunfighter Pro. High resolution of small stick inputs seems like what these sticks are about. Idea is to get desired result with smallest input possible.  I haven’t used a ffb stick in decades and think it’s an entirely different mindset. Game gives audibles re prestall condition and doesn’t require ffb cues. I am currently using Gladiator and Gunfighter sticks on different pc’s and think they are both worth having. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, E69_Qpassa_VR said:

This simulator without FB is not the same, I am using the G940 only because there is no other option that could replace the joystick, the FFB helps you a lot identifying the stalls, how much can you turn... I would not change it

 

With a regular joystick I just think that my plane's controls have hydraulic assists, problem solved;)

 

In my opinion what is most important is not force-feedback (although I am sure it is a nice bonus) but a spring resistance decreasing the closer you are to joystick's center (this is the opposite of cheap mainstream joysticks and simulates how real plane's controls work by allowing precise movements close to the center).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DragonDaddy said:

Do you get full FF response like when the stick was originally issued? I’ve tried mine and found there is much less FF now. Nothing when the guns are fired, a little resistance on the stick sometimes, no rumble when taxiing, no jolt on wheels up. 

 

I have the original driver discs but am unable to install on Windows 7. If you have a way to get better feedback, please let me know. I would very much like to reactivate this old friend. 

 

Read this maybe this could help you in getting a bigger FFB response 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dutch2 said:

 

Read this maybe this could help you in getting a bigger FFB response 

 

 

WOW... this works well, I have tried it tonight while playing the last few misson of Fortress on the Volga and now I wish you had not shown it me :lol:

 

I could feel the ground better on take off and when I fired the guns, the vibration from firing them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2019 at 7:39 AM, SCG_Fenris_Wolf said:

This is mine:

 

Do you find you're a bit too far back from the stick? I have what looks like a very similar setup (Virpil T-50 with a 10cm extension on it) and find I want it closer to me than edge-of-seat for the base will allow. Was considering a cut-out seat of some sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Alonzo said:

 

Do you find you're a bit too far back from the stick? I have what looks like a very similar setup (Virpil T-50 with a 10cm extension on it) and find I want it closer to me than edge-of-seat for the base will allow. Was considering a cut-out seat of some sort.

To me it is fine. It would make no sense to cut out the seat as the crown jewelry would be in the way. 😂

 

When I turn left, I keep the right hand on the stick. When I turn right to look over my right shoulder, I let go with the right hand and automatically grip the extension with the left hand. In the glider's bottom mounted it is at the same distance or even slightly further away (much less buttons though haha, just one for radio to order food).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do people have favorite keymaps for the MK2? I have been toying with mine for the past month and am still trying to find something I like. I love the stick, just trying to figure out which controls I should put on stick vs keyboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, coughlinjon said:

Do people have favorite keymaps for the MK2? I have been toying with mine for the past month and am still trying to find something I like. I love the stick, just trying to figure out which controls I should put on stick vs keyboard.

Im using buttons 6 and 7 (buttons near throttle) for vertical stabilizator/pitch trim. Buttons in front for mixture (up down), RPM, prop pitch etc. Red buttons in the middle for wep, lights etc.

Engine start button is for canopy for me and eject for eject. Pinky is for bombs (need to tweak in VKB config) but you can use it as shift/mod key for doubling the usage of your buttons. Hatswitch im using for recentering my headtracker and for flaps, zoom on gunsight etc. Upper main (big black rounded button on the top of the stick) button for cannons and trigger button for the MGs.

But you know, its a matter of personal preference.

Edited by blackram

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, blackram said:

Im using buttons 6 and 7 (buttons near throttle) for vertical stabilizator/pitch trim. Buttons in front for mixture (up down), RPM, prop pitch etc. Red buttons in the middle for wep, lights etc.

Engine start button is for canopy for me and eject for eject. Pinky is for bombs (need to tweak in VKB config) but you can use it as shift/mod key for doubling the usage of your buttons. Hatswitch im using for recentering my headtracker and for flaps, zoom on gunsight etc. Upper main (big black rounded button on the top of the stick) button for cannons and trigger button for the MGs.

But you know, its a matter of personal preference.

 

I like the sound of that. I think I need to map all my engine controls to the stick like that. I have gear on the stick, and that's probably very stupid - I only press it twice a mission. I have a button for map, AP lvl, canopy (I fly mostly russian planes with a lot of canopy open). Which weapon controls do you have mapped to the red btns? I'm trying to figure out how to do Bombs and rockets all on the stick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×