SYN_Vander

IL2 Great Battles Easy Mission Generator

Hey @SYN_Vander

I was one of your first test Pilots back in Feb last year, I stepped away from the game for a while and recently returned, noticed your project is still going strong! Good for you Sir! 

Myself and a friend depend on your mission generator to keep us up in the Sky's so I was very pleased to see the progress you have  made.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

It would be very helpful if you could post a mission file when you encounter the first issue so I can investigate.

Do you just need the .mission file?

This is an excellent tool.

Impressive... most impressive.

von Tom

On 2/24/2020 at 6:46 PM, F-Dog said:

Hey @SYN_Vander

I was one of your first test Pilots back in Feb last year, I stepped away from the game for a while and recently returned, noticed your project is still going strong! Good for you Sir! 

Myself and a friend depend on your mission generator to keep us up in the Sky's so I was very pleased to see the progress you have  made.

Taking the liberty to hook on to this one: The DangerDogz  squadron fully depends on this tool for GBS:  8 to 14 of us use it twice a week, we get through some three missions in one session.

It's so cool to see what flexibility it offers, and variation. For true and close to history missions, but also for a fantasy one every once in a while: It's simply a hoot to have it create a mission on the Arras map, with 16x I-16 for the 'humans', vs AI - whatever choosen, and whatever WWI planes the Generator throws in... you should hear them shout out 'whatever plane is this here?'... 

Every now and then, we keep a mission that worked out really well, and save it in a separate folder called ''GoodCoops" - to fly it another day.   :)

Thanks Vander!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yep, and guys, let's buy the Man More Coffee!

Edited by jollyjack
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 3:38 PM, SYN_Vander said:

.mission file and .eng file.

Did another mission with the Pfalz last night and same thing. They do a 180 about halfway across no man's land. Did another with the Albatross with no issues and it worked fine.

1 hour ago, gad11 said:

Did another mission with the Pfalz last night and same thing. They do a 180 about halfway across no man's land. Did another with the Albatross with no issues and it worked fine.

I tested your mission and noticed the behaviour. The leader turned right near WP2 and headed straight for Cappy airfield where they landed. The planes had 80% fuel. I changed that to 100% and the plane did not go to Cappy. Interestingly it turned for the nearest enemy balloon, but since that one was hoisted down quickly the leader continued to WP3.

So I think it’s the same “fuel” bug. What I could do as stop gap measure is to turn off “AI return to base decision”, but then AI will always fight to their deaths. 
Let’s hope the devs fix this quickly.

2 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

I tested your mission and noticed the behaviour. The leader turned right near WP2 and headed straight for Cappy airfield where they landed. The planes had 80% fuel. I changed that to 100% and the plane did not go to Cappy. Interestingly it turned for the nearest enemy balloon, but since that one was hoisted down quickly the leader continued to WP3.

So I think it’s the same “fuel” bug. What I could do as stop gap measure is to turn off “AI return to base decision”, but then AI will always fight to their deaths. 
Let’s hope the devs fix this quickly.

Thanks sir! Good info. Appreciate you checking it out. The stop gap would probably be better then them not fighting at all and turning around. But ya, not ideal. Hopefully fixed soon by devs! Thanks again

Would it be possible to add a "Very Hi Altitude" altitude category that could be used to set bombers at 25-30K?  I REALIZE this assumes a B-25, A-20B or JU88/HE111  can even get that high - real life or in the sim?   Reason I am asking is while we dont have B-17s or 24s to SIM Luftwaffe v USAAF bombers at high altitude. Next best thing would be to push up the new large formations of A20Bs and B25s up into that regime of flight. This would give some immersion into the difficulties of engaging bombers in that thin air environment.  Thought this might be cool but again it assumes - a.) the game /sim allows that to be modded and  b.) the aircraft will go that high - be they bomber or fight. I know I have had K4s and D9s up into the lower part of those altitudes...but.................

Again if this has already been asked or isnt possible I apologize for the waste of space here.

Cheers & Thanks !!1

Misty

• Upvote 2

I'll second Misty's suggestion on being able to control altitude. I looked up wikipedia (I know, I know) specs on service ceiling for the bombers and found:

Ju-88: 26,000 ft / 8200 m

He-111: 21,300 ft / 6500 m

A-20: 23,700 ft / 7200 m

B-25: 24,200 ft / 7400 m

Something to also consider is time to climb. The listed times to climb to 17,000 ft for the Junkers and Heinkel are both over 20 minutes. So one would probably want to have them either do an air start at altitude or start them at an airfield well back from the FEBA and be prepared to wait.

All of the flyables WILL fly at 10K meters.  I have never gone from takeoff up to 10k meters.

Just for shitz and 🤪grins I got the 262 up to almost 37k feet last night before those Jumo engines said ""SCREW THIS !😡"". Never got a restart.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Good suggestion to add altitude option. Perhaps this can be modelled as “low”, “medium” and “high” in a drop down. I think it only makes sense for “Patrol” and “Bombing” missions?

Edited by SYN_Vander
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
Vander, we are noticing problems with the sights of the bombers, and the issue of the gunners, some shoot and others do not ... 
how can I see how difficult they are? We also realize that if we bomb at 6000 meters the AI never attacks us. Greetings and thank you.

Edited by Ala13_UnopaUno_VR

Posted (edited)

Hey Vander 

I just started your mission Generator and love it !

I use it in preference to the Campaign Generator, wish it could do that btw.

Also only used it in FC  -seem to lose more that half the AI flight when large numbers selected ie 6 or more regularly

Just a wondering if it is possible to get Tacview to display colours of the two sides. red blue or blue green....

It defaults to green which is a great colour for Germany.... but all planes are displayed in this colour post mission.

Also wish it would could randomly produce a day of sorties in one button ie morning , afternoon and evening flights ....3 or 4 per date with same aircraft settings but random everything else ?

Edited by Spit_

Hi Spit,

I’m glad you enjoy the utility!

About AI: That is not something I can control (easily). It’s up to the devs to improve on this behaviour. Usually they will fight to the death or until there is enough damage to make a “return to home base” decision. Unfortunately this is done on a individual basis, not as a flight.

The colours used is also a known problem. Somehow the WW1 factions do not get a colour assigned. The front lines on the map also shows black/grey instead of blue/red. I’ll notify the devs.

Generating multiple missions is interesting idea. I already built a small tool that does that from the command line. I need to think if this can be transferred over to the main program.

• Like 1

Love this utility...I can fill the sky with WW1planes! I do have a question ( probably asked & answered somewhere..) In mission types ,I get “Random”, but what difference does it make by choosing mission to be “Bombing”,or “Patrol”, or “Combat”? Does this in some way make a difference in what aircraft are chosen or what side the player chooses to be playing on?

Thanks!

Posted (edited)
On 3/12/2020 at 7:13 AM, Blitzen said:

Love this utility...I can fill the sky with WW1planes! I do have a question ( probably asked & answered somewhere..) In mission types ,I get “Random”, but what difference does it make by choosing mission to be “Bombing”,or “Patrol”, or “Combat”? Does this in some way make a difference in what aircraft are chosen or what side the player chooses to be playing on?

Thanks!

Hey Blitzen,

Check out Vander's page for the answer to your Q's!  Hope this helps: https://sites.google.com/view/il2-great-battles-emg/tips-tricks?authuser=0

@SYN_Vander Just some feedback and very minor bug reporting, upon my heavy use of your wonderful generator.

1. I would love as many options as possible for altitude, formation, etc. for the bombers.

2. Very minor typo when creating bombing or patrol missions in the briefing: "Protext" should be "Protect".

3. Would love more controls to modify the "Additional AI Aircraft" option.  Type, count, etc.

These are totally minor and spoiled feedback, but I hope you'd appreciate any and all of it since this is such a wonderful tool.  We're still using it daily!  Thank you!

Edited by AG104
Additional info.
  • Thanks 1

@AG104,

Thanks for the link to SYN_Vander's site.  I didn't know about it and it's full of useful info.  THX!

• Upvote 1

How about a possibility to generate completely random missions? To give the possibility to choose randomly even country, map, and time?

I would love that.

A question has occurred to me:

in each section (allied/axis) after picking the country it states "Enemy air activity is [choice]" then "The AAA is [choice]".

If I'm in the axis section and I select an "enemy air activity" setting am I basically determining how many additional AI for the allies will be generated?

And the AAA selection in the axis section determines the effectiveness of the allies AAA, right?

Thanks

2 hours ago, Dawg35 said:

A question has occurred to me:

in each section (allied/axis) after picking the country it states "Enemy air activity is [choice]" then "The AAA is [choice]".

If I'm in the axis section and I select an "enemy air activity" setting am I basically determining how many additional AI for the allies will be generated?

And the AAA selection in the axis section determines the effectiveness of the allies AAA, right?

Thanks

Sort of. With activity set to low, fewer enemies will spawn, but mainly they will probably not hunting for you. 

Correct: It determines the AI level of the AAA. This will affect how early they will detect you and ( I guess) how accurate their aim.

See also here: https://sites.google.com/view/il2-great-battles-emg/tips-tricks

On 3/18/2020 at 12:52 AM, 216th_Nocke said:

How about a possibility to generate completely random missions? To give the possibility to choose randomly even country, map, and time?

I would love that.

A " I'm feeling lucky" button? Complete roll of the dice? I'd like that too, shouldn't be hard to do either.

Be aware I'm spending some time on scripted missions, hopefully I can make some changes to the generator in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

DangerDogz coops courtesy of SYN_Vander's EMG:salute:

• Like 4

Is it possible to, in some way, insure that if the Me-262 is selected that it is placed on a concrete runway, or at least a large grass field?

In my latest Me-262 coop mission that I created my friend was leading red flight (4 x Me-262) and I was leading blue flight (4 x Me-262). He tries to take off and at around 150 kph his nose gear collapses due to the rough field. All his flight suffer the same or crash into the treeline without having gained enough speed to takeoff. Then the same happens to me and my flight.

3 hours ago, Dawg35 said:

Is it possible to, in some way, insure that if the Me-262 is selected that it is placed on a concrete runway, or at least a large grass field?

In my latest Me-262 coop mission that I created my friend was leading red flight (4 x Me-262) and I was leading blue flight (4 x Me-262). He tries to take off and at around 150 kph his nose gear collapses due to the rough field. All his flight suffer the same or crash into the treeline without having gained enough speed to takeoff. Then the same happens to me and my flight.

Try the distant airfield option. There are not many airfields on Bodenplatte that work for the Me-262. I tried to have as much run-off space as possible for each airfield, but for some it's difficult.

19 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Try the distant airfield option. There are not many airfields on Bodenplatte that work for the Me-262. I tried to have as much run-off space as possible for each airfield, but for some it's difficult.

Will do, thanks!

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:58 AM, Dawg35 said:

Will do, thanks!

This works by the way, Thanks!

This is a superb piece of work.

Is there any chance of incorporating tanks and the Prokhorovka map?

von Tom

• Upvote 4

On 4/8/2020 at 3:29 AM, von_Tom said:

This is a superb piece of work.

Is there any chance of incorporating tanks and the Prokhorovka map?

von Tom

+1 Will buy you several coffees for this :)

• Upvote 2

Is it possible to set up a bomber intercept or scramble mission? I've kind of managed to get intercept missions, by setting the other side to run a bombing missions but I kind of have to generate the missions load it up then check it will work as an intercept. Scramble would be excellent also, always been my favorite quick mission type.

Hey Vander! We used your generator a couple of times now, it’s awesome.  By far our favorite tool. Thanks a lot! One question: we found that in the bodenplatte map the spawnpoints were quite far away from each other and we had to fly too long (for our taste) to find each other, even with the close airfields option selected. In the Stalingrad map things are much closer. But Stalingrad is also quite a boring map compared to the new ones... do you have any recommendations for particular map / front combinations where everything spawns quite close to each other? (Does not have to be historically correct, for a bit of online playing around that doesn’t matter to us).

Oh and one detail: we like to play co-op PvE, but because in the official co-op mode you can’t respawn (and we desperately need the ability to respawn haha), we are forced to use dogfight mode.

Cheers and thanks again!

Benjamin

Hi Vander and Everyone,

I was wondering if there is a way to take the SYN_Generated mission file into the program's BOSEditor to change some of the settings...like applying skins to all of the other aircraft besides the Player's.  Thanks for the awesome generator Vander!

Cheers,

- Craig

Posted (edited)

Yes you can.

Example: 

You create a Single mission under the name My First Mission.

Once the saving process completes start the ME, click File > Open and navigate to data > Missions and look for My First Mission.Mission

Double click on it to open it and it will open in the View Port ready to edit.

IHTH

Edited by Beebop

20 minutes ago, Beebop said:

Yes you can.

Example: 

You create a Single mission under the name My First Mission.

Once the saving process completes start the ME, click File > Open and navigate to data > Missions and look for My First Mission.Mission

Double click on it to open it and it will open in the View Port ready to edit.

IHTH

Indeed. The groups with aircraft in it will usually be on top: Blue_flight, Red_flight (player planes), fighters_, bombers_ (ai only)

image.thumb.png.df90714ca53c792ab4ffa8c636fd22b2.png

On 4/13/2020 at 12:55 PM, blue_max said:

Hey Vander! We used your generator a couple of times now, it’s awesome.  By far our favorite tool. Thanks a lot! One question: we found that in the bodenplatte map the spawnpoints were quite far away from each other and we had to fly too long (for our taste) to find each other, even with the close airfields option selected. In the Stalingrad map things are much closer. But Stalingrad is also quite a boring map compared to the new ones... do you have any recommendations for particular map / front combinations where everything spawns quite close to each other? (Does not have to be historically correct, for a bit of online playing around that doesn’t matter to us).

Oh and one detail: we like to play co-op PvE, but because in the official co-op mode you can’t respawn (and we desperately need the ability to respawn haha), we are forced to use dogfight mode.

Cheers and thanks again!

Benjamin

I think I know what you mean. For "Dogfight" mode it currently isn't possible to select "close to front" for the airfields. It always picks the far one for bombers and the middle one for fighters. Perhaps I can make this option. Another option if you want a quick fight is to use the air start :).

3 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

I think I know what you mean. For "Dogfight" mode it currently isn't possible to select "close to front" for the airfields. It always picks the far one for bombers and the middle one for fighters. Perhaps I can make this option. Another option if you want a quick fight is to use the air start :).

Thumbs up for this future option.

45 minutes ago, SYN_Vander said:

For "Dogfight" mode it currently isn't possible to select "close to front" for the airfields. It always picks the far one for bombers and the middle one for fighters. Perhaps I can make this option.

In the interim a user could open the mission in the ME and move the spawn airfield objects to closer airfields (and rearrange the objects to fit),

6 hours ago, SYN_Vander said:

Thanks! This would make all the difference in the world for us! Even air start is quite far out for our tastes.

This issue is compounded by the fact that the engine only wants to tell me who is who via a label if you're practically on top of someone. But that's not something you can fix :)

6 hours ago, Beebop said:

In the interim a user could open the mission in the ME and move the spawn airfield objects to closer airfields (and rearrange the objects to fit),

Yes... well, as you probably gathered, we are definitely not interim users ;)

First, a question -  what is the "enemy targets visible" option?  I searched for the term in this thread but it came up with no results.  It is checked by default.  What does it do?

Second, @SYN_Vander , the tool is incredible, and it is, in my opinion, something that 1C should license/purchase from you and incorporate it into their MP server creation screen as an option, along with the option to load a mission created from scratch in the ME.  This is exactly what I have said here in the past is missing for multiplayer - a simple (preferably in-game) UI to generate a mission that players can hop in and just play the game together.  I tried it for the first time last week for a mission with a friend who is just getting going in IL-2.  I then played the same mission I had generated to play with him solo as I was testing some things, and... it was different (varied, different enemy flights and encounters)!   You have done fantastic work!!! 

3 hours ago, Eclipse4349 said:

First, a question -  what is the "enemy targets visible" option?  I searched for the term in this thread but it came up with no results.  It is checked by default.  What does it do?

Second, @SYN_Vander , the tool is incredible, and it is, in my opinion, something that 1C should license/purchase from you and incorporate it into their MP server creation screen as an option, along with the option to load a mission created from scratch in the ME.  This is exactly what I have said here in the past is missing for multiplayer - a simple (preferably in-game) UI to generate a mission that players can hop in and just play the game together.  I tried it for the first time last week for a mission with a friend who is just getting going in IL-2.  I then played the same mission I had generated to play with him solo as I was testing some things, and... it was different (varied, different enemy flights and encounters)!   You have done fantastic work!!! 

Thanks!

I have added the option "Enemy targets visible" to the Tips&Tricks section on my website. See here for the explanation: https://sites.google.com/view/il2-great-battles-emg/tips-tricks