Sign in to follow this  
TP_Jacko

How to make bombers drop bombs on target at first pass

Maybe its been covered before but is there a trick to make a straight bomb run and release. All mine ever do is overfly and take a big turn and come back. I am thinking of level bomb runs.

Hi Jacko - I think the general consensus is to have a longer run between the last waypoint and the attack area command while still making sure that they have sufficient time to fly to it. Folks are saying to set it as far as 10km from the last waypoint.

yep, and if level bombing make sure the attack area MCU is set to the same altitude as the aircraft/waypoints.

For dive bombing make sure the aircraft are 550 to 600 meters AGL. I also make the aircraft turn toward the attack MCU. So last waypoint, then attack is left or right. Seems to help keep the distance shorter for some reason and help them attack on the first pass.

Although as I said above this behavior can change from build to build.

Thanks gents, I came to the same conclusion on the distance of the MCU attack command. I was using Ju52's and they took a long time to get to the attack point so you need care with the timer

17 hours ago, TP_Jacko said:

Thanks gents, I came to the same conclusion on the distance of the MCU attack command. I was using Ju52's and they took a long time to get to the attack point so you need care with the timer

I don't remember seeing a 'days' or 'weeks' box on the timer MCU...

• Haha 3

I have Ju-52’s dropping troops and cargo as desired with no delay. Let me know if you need further help.

Not a timer issue, simply a waypoint/MCU placement issue.

I tried to make Pe-2 AI level bomb at 500m, taking into account everything said here - and failed. I also caught one of the single missions delivered with BOM, where Pe-2 level bomb at 3000m, extracted just the bomb run and played around with it - and failed with anything except for the original. Don't know what I did wrong. The Pe-2 passed the target at the altitude I gave them, but didn't release the bombs.

Is there anything like a minimal height for level bombing?

Does anybody have a (minimal) single mission for level bombing (let's say bombers start in air, approach target, level bomb at 300m or 500m and then return to base) he/she could give me?

With all of my best greetings and wishes, yours, chanklaus

I suspect that 500m may be too low for an effective level bombing height. I wouldn't like to try using the bomb sight at that low level.