EAF_51_FOX

A.I. DEFENSIVE MANOUVERING..ANY LIGHT IN FUTURE?

3 hours ago, Dagwoodyt said:

1)
If you’re unable to hit the turning enemy why does it matter that it turns endlessly? You will wear out before enemy if you cannot force the enemy out of its turn. I have certainly seen instances wherein the enemy will evade once it gets hit. Going online only increases the number of variables over which the player lacks control.
2)
I question whether the online damage model is the same as what exists in the sp game mode and think that the issue is never addressed in forums.

I make mplayer maps and know game mechanics better than most (and not better that some). I also have a computer science degree so I know something about how computers work and programming them.

Point 1)

In my experience once AI gets locked into a pattern (like turning) it does not do anything else, until u kill it or break off, it not realistic or fun dog-fighting over predictable AI. And on mplayer maps with AI planes they just become a nuisance when real players are fighting each other. For experienced players AI is not fun to fight.

Point 2)

It has been discussed in forums, a lot.

The only thing (as a mission builder) that may impact sp vs mp is ai level (low/normal/high /ace) for gunners. As long as the mplayer map designer sets the level for ai gunners to low or normal then there should be reasonable impact.

I say this because this can make it seem the damage model is higher than offline play because it makes ai gunners ridiculously accurate on high/ace levels. What i have found is on normal and low levels ai gunners can still kill u they just don't do it the instant the start shooting at u , (time it takes them to get guns on target is more realistic, giving time to go evasive). And If they do hit you it's usually a very accurate on target hit

But its silly to say the developers made a whole different damage model depending on off or online play.

How are AI now?
The AI has improved somewhat, but still over predicable. They still crash into the ground (just saw 2 planes do this after I split S to reverse on them). AI planes are easy to fight once you start doing vertical maneuvers, because they still do far too much turn based outmaneuvers.  At points they act like real players now (been a few times I was not sure if it was AI or not at some point attacking them). But they all still fight the same way , regardless of them being a bomber/attacker or fighter, ie no plane specific AI maneuvering. They still need more what if then else checks.

Performance Impact of AI:

The other point to consider is this: Better AI may mean more cpu load and bigger performance impact and that also needs to be taken into account. Bottom line AI is always going to be somewhat predictable, on current home pc level hardware. But there is still room i believe to improve, and every so often the devs do put time into that, but they also prioritize the stuff the makes them stay in business more, (good for them), because i would like them to stay in the business of making the game better, and to do that they have to keep making money.

I know the performance hit because adding AI planes to mplayr maps is the current biggest thing that has a performance hit, and performance for online play is even more critical, and more complicated than most people realise.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Upvote 1

I Limit my comments to situations in which there is only one AI opponent I.e., no fighter vs AI bombers. Fighter vs fighter is the simplest/most basic scenario and where one would think a “noob” would start out. The utility of an AI opponent to noob learning is exactly the predictability element. So if I am improving in encounters against ace AI then I accept that I am learning something. If I instead try to learn online I am multiplying variables that work against me. One difference I have noted is that death to AI in sp mode is via 1000 cuts but online typically one shot one kill. I remain a skeptic.

To answer that you would need to compare the specific online mission map to the specific single player map in question and look at AI level comparisons.

The internal commands are the same , the settings used may not be.

Also in my experience your learning is capped against AI, but online I'm still learning. If people only play offline they limit the fun and the ability to improve much faster and gain high skill levels. Start with AI to get basics, go online to really improve your flying. Don't care about stats of dying  much (but try not to die) , fly many dif planes , fly underdog planes and you will improve flying skills quickly. Look at your mistakes and say what did i do wrong there...

The AI is so stupid i got killed yesterday online by a flak gun during takeoff (own side AA) on the ground still  not yet in the air, because the AA guns shoots regardless of what is in the path to its target.., It will even shoot buildings on the airport . AI is still got many bugs that need fixing.

And why when i make maps I do not put AA that close to runways....

I've looked at many peoples online maps to learn how stuff was done. Quite a lot of online maps are poorly made, because they don't understand game mechanics or the work a rounds you sometimes need to do to avoid game bugs (like the AA thing), etc etc.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

In QMB the player chooses map and whether ground AI is a factor. If you cannot use a hammerhead as an evasive tactic in sp 1v1 how are you going to learn it’s use more quickly online.? Once you can no longer create challenging QMB scenarios you would likely consider online as outlet for your skills. Whether those skills are more quickly learned online than offline is what I question.

My suggestion  find people to fly and practice with. flying against predictable ai is not going to improve skills a great deal (past a limited point)

Your problem is flying alone. join discord servers where ppl team up and and find flying buddies(there are many options here). I belong to several and find it relatively easy to get ppl to fly with. Also most servers have their own web sites and voice/chat servers and there are generic ones like sherifs one (https://discord.gg/2Qj78N)

Lots of people want to practice and its easy to do this (i'd say most people). I can give u a coop mission I made to help with this if u want.

A few months ago I have no one to fly with and knew no one.

QMB is only good to learn very basics IMHO

No experienced pilot uses it to train and improve.

Not only do u need to know how to fly , but u need to know what your plane and your enemies plane strengths and weaknesses are. Only a lot of practice and time gives that, no one is a great pilot without lots of practice and knowing the hardware you are flying.

The people that can fly a lot of different planes (both sides) with equal skill and knowledge are the most dangerous

I watch a lot of you tube videos to know what to do, and then a lot of practice to actually do that, since flying online my skills are far better, and i still learn a lot every time i fly. Making mistakes and using that knowledge to improve is the fastest way to learn. If a tactic is not working change something, because something is wrong with that tactic if its not working.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Thanks 1

I think you are assuming that most people want to fly offline in a mistaken quest to acquire the mad skillz that will set them up for a successful future in MP.  

I would suggest that most are looking to take part in multiple-unit sized actions in historic scenarios with believable coms and coordinated and realistic AI. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 8

I'm sure you are correct many would want that. My point is more that AI are not going to help you improve skills a hell of a lot.

I'd like that also.

The game has a very mixed player base, most play offline, but the best play online, because they play online against people not AI.

Many play of offline because they fear online play as a recent video by ifly central clearly illustrated

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The game could also use a better QMB to make better training scenarios and basic coop missions. The full editor is powerful and too complex for the average person to want to use. I know it pretty well but it was quite and effort to learn how to drive it.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

2 hours ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

I'm sure you are correct many would want that. My point is more that AI are not going to help you improve skills a hell of a lot.

I'd like that also.

The game has a very mixed player base, most play offline, but the best play online, because they play online against people not AI.

Many play of offline because they fear online play as a recent video by ifly central clearly illustrated

Yeah - that's not what he said nor is it very plausible. I for example am more into history than aviation. So I love games that immerse me into reacreated history. Multiplayer doesn't. People on multiplayer server people looking for a fun expierence not soldiers risking their lives carrying out a mission. And such they behave - cool for people who want to compete to be the best, bad for someone looking for immersion.

On the other hand I have little kids in my household - so I prefer to be able to pause any game any moment - in MP I'd letting my team down when I quit to care for my offspring.

I used to play a lot online (warthunder for example) and understand the thrill of wanting to be the best. But that's not what I bought IL2 for. My preferences changed - now I wish for immersive historical gameplay. Like IL2 GB Career mode but with believable immersive AI (friend AND foe)

You are suggesting that people spent 60-320 bucks and then are afraid to try their favorite game mode MP because they aren't good enough? I don't believe that - I dare say the majority of single players out there share my wish for an immersive expierence rather than being afraid of MP.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Yeah - that's not what he said nor is it very plausible. I for example am more into history than aviation. So I love games that immerse me into reacreated history. Multiplayer doesn't. People on multiplayer server people looking for a fun expierence not soldiers risking their lives carrying out a mission. And such they behave - cool for people who want to compete to be the best, bad for someone looking for immersion.

On the other hand I have little kids in my household - so I prefer to be able to pause any game any moment - in MP I'd letting my team down when I quit to care for my offspring.

I used to play a lot online (warthunder for example) and understand the thrill of wanting to be the best. But that's not what I bought IL2 for. My preferences changed - now I wish for immersive historical gameplay. Like IL2 GB Career mode but with believable immersive AI (friend AND foe)

You are suggesting that people spent 60-320 bucks and then are afraid to try their favorite game mode MP because they aren't good enough? I don't believe that - I dare say the majority of single players out there share my wish for an immersive expierence rather than being afraid of MP.

I played many, many hours against the AI in IL2 1946.  BoX MP is far more realistic and immersive.  It's not even a close call.

43 minutes ago, Eisenfaustus said:

I dare say the majority of single players out there share my wish for an immersive expierence rather than being afraid of MP.

Correct.

At best, something getting close to a good SP mission would be multiplayer Coop with like-minded.

Sadly the coop MP has been all forgotten and thrown in the bin by all current simgame producers.

I guess bling-bling is easier and as such less expensive to produce compared to AI decisions.

Would love to see the sales figuers between BoS and BoM, the difference in them between is most surely all SP and coop players.

I enjoy practical navigation, level bombing and low level ground attack, as well as transport and reconnaissance style missions.  Not to mention correct ground procedure and flying at night or in very poor conditions.  

I don’t see what MP can offer that would be an improvement to what I already can experience offline and at my convenience.  

• Like 1

Just now, Feathered_IV said:

I don’t see what MP can offer that would be an improvement to what I already can experience offline and at my convenience.  

Oh come on, that is not right. If you want to experience being team killed by obnoxious teenagers - or even the joys of flying with an obnoxious retired programmer -  playing offline can never match MP.

Clearly you are just avoiding MP because you are afraid. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

I'm not saying that all , I'm saying there are a percentage that do (and i know that from the comments I have read, online. I'm also agree that there are many dif reasons to play online and offline. I'm saying with current game if u only play offline your skills in flying combat are going to be less than those people that play online. I'm saying that mplayer also has more to offer in the current implementation of this game than offline play, including coop in online play.

Much depends the guys that build the missions and how its done, and who you fly with. Playing with people rather than AI will always be more immersive. There are plenty of people that do online team immersive flyouts , creating sim realism if up to your imagination and creativity, and finding like minded people to fly with.

I would also say based on your comments your knowledge of online play in this game is more limited than you realise. Online mplayer is not all about online dog fighting and being the top ace(that is only a subset of online play).

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

I tried mp many times. Mainly rof. It was nice at the begining when we waited for the the start of the mission. It was somewhat organized.

In mp:

You cannot pause the game.

Its a mess. Nothing organized. And if its organized - you cannot pause the game.

I dont want to speak to anybody, so im alone.

Planes are fighting to the death, smoking or in fire.

Planes are warping on the sky.

Unhistorical skins (absolutelly hate this).

People using flaps to do weird things...etc

Its not fun. I would be only interested in coop, but i have no friends and still you cant pause the game.

• Upvote 1

Immersed in what exactly Stix?

Online might be more fun for YOU perhaps, but not more immersive if the point is WWII aviation.

Guys chatting about their day at work, the baby waking up, only having. 20 minutes till the wife gets home, their router port 

issues or laughing about the cat having just ran across the keyboard is the exact opposite of immersing yourself in a WWII environment.

That's the opposite of immersion.

Offlline is where the true immersion lies. Whether it's more or less enthralling for you personally  is another matter.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Immersed in what exactly Stix?

Online might be more fun for YOU perhaps, but not more immersive if the point is WWII aviation.

Guys chatting about their day at work, the baby waking up, only having. 20 minutes till the wife gets home, their router port 

issues or laughing about the cat having just ran across the keyboard is the exact opposite of immersing yourself in a WWII environment.

That's the opposite of immersion.

Offlline is where the true immersion lies. Whether it's more or less enthralling for you personally  is another matter.

Yes that does happen in unorganized online flying. The way to deal with that is make or find a squad that has your view of the game. That all in the setup. As people have said many want that. And there are people that do that. I don't fly with people like that myself , because it pisses me off too.

If you make an effort online play can have much to offer, offline play can't. Bottom line if you really feel the need to fly alone, do so, if that is more immersive experience for you. If you do go down that track , learning to use the editor is the way to go, and  @Gambit21 I know you already like  me know how to use the editor.

And be prepared to deal with the AI not being like a real person and its always having limitations.

Yes most def room for improvement.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

Thanks.  I’ve been actively into flight sims for nearly twenty years.  After plenty of experience both offline and online, I found that offline play is what I enjoy the most.  

Which is is why I am here, in this thread about AI. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

Or you, know, some of us play offline because we have daytime jobs and then families to tend to in the evening hours. Me right now, I'm fortunate if I get in more than a couple hours of gameplay late at night, after my wife and infant son have gone to bed (and even then, a lot times that's interrupted by him needing to be fed and/or changed). So, even if I wanted to be more involved in MP (like I used to be, both in flight sims and on the SimHQ Arma2 server), right now I just don't have the time to commit to it. This whole tired line of "only the best play online and those that don't are afraid of being owned" is frankly just a load of bunk. 

Edited by LukeFF
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

Thats useal mistake from MP players in thinking that SP guys dont play MP because they are not good enought, when most SP probably dont play MP because they look in historical and organised stuff (in MP you get close to that only in some good coop or events) and here in MP you have non of that.

In this game i play mostly MP 90%, i tryed and see what SP has to offer in BoX and i see i have better things in Il-2 1946, i dont mined old graphic when SP is still best expiriance in world of flying games, i can imerse my self in many battles and comand my ai normaly and they lisen and do what i tell them, have ai fly airplanes like they do ( id ont care how they do it i just wont them to behave belivable dont mined if they cheat to achive that) , here i dont get that in SP so i dont play it exept some QM aim practice. 

Also i see TD who make AI in 1946 great are now working on ai in clod, so that one could have 2d best AI then if it comes out

Edited by 77.CountZero
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Or you, know, some of us play offline because we have daytime jobs and then families to tend to in the evening hours. Me right now, I'm fortunate if I get in more than a couple hours of gameplay late at night, after my infant son and wife have gone to bed (and even then, a lot times that's interrupted by him needing to fed and/or changed). So, even if I wanted to be more involved in MP (like I used to be, both in flight sims and on the SimHQ Arma2 server), right now I just don't have the time to commit to it. This whole tired line of "only the best play online and those that don't are afraid of being owned" is frankly just a load of bunk. 

I did not say all that play offline are bad players or that all playing offline fear online, that's a misinterpretation.

Maybe read again what I said and what I fly central said in his video.

And I would question the logic of skills of people that only play against AI vs real players having higher skills, well certainly in dogfight combat anyway, would probably be more accurate.

And this is going off topic, the AI are terrible pilots currently, that it on that one.

Better and improving , but still very limited.

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
typo

In the original IL2 I was totally an online player.  Loved to fly with my friends, have fun on comms, and still work together to "win the map".

Well, these days, frankly, I can't see well enough to fly online without icons on.   I keep trying but  even spotting planes in this new IL2 is so hard that I just mostly have given up on multiplayer, which sucks because I love MP.  I just have too much trouble spotting aircraft, friend or foe, and I don't have the time to play the game for days on end like I used to.

So now I play offline as I can, flying scripted campaigns as a ground pounder.   Lots of immersion, and it makes me smile.  I'd love to do MP again, but I can't keep up anymore.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

Hi all,

Please just do not get this topic into a SP vs MP discussion. Not about it.

Haash

P.S: Says the guy who spend his time developing SP stuff while only flying MP...

I continued one of my careers last night, It's been a long while since I last played any career, because I generally prefer MP but I was impressed by the behaviour.

I was covering bombers in a spit when they came under attack. The AI seemed to be less aware when I was on their low six than I remember. I was chasing one which dived away after I hit him, and I foolishly followed. Not entirely sure what caused the engine to fail, I may have hit the wep time limit on RPM, although I was endeavouring to manage it, by coming back to 2850 rpm and + 9 boost whenever I felt I did not need WEP, but in this particular chase, I had full RPM and boost, in a near vertical dive. My engine died, possibly because of prop overspeed ? 

Anyway, that was the end of that career as my guy was captured. 

Also tried my first Po-2 career last night.I stuck to my leader like glue, I was surprised that he dropped his bombs from 1300 meters, would love to know how he aims them with any accuracy, I dropped my bombs when I saw him release and managed to bag myself a howitzer. That particular sortie was an epic 1 hour 47 mins lol. Always Fly in real time as a rift user.

I do not fly SP very often, but find I have a good time whenever I do.

I had many hours over the weekend in both Career and PWCG, flying the Spit.

Great fun and I always find the enemy AI to be quite challenging for me, especially the 109's and 190's.

10 hours ago, Eisenfaustus said:

My thoughts exactly, better than I could have said it. It is not fear of multiplayer that causes me to do little of it, but more a question of me deciding how I will allocate my game time. 

People get lost in perspective.

Fun is what matters.

MP guys think they are cooler and more skilled than SP guys, skills? who cares? is just a game not real life.

If guys are having fun in SP let them.

I used to like SP, but with the AI being so easy , it became boring and very unrealistic to me doing a career and coming back with 3 or more kills every mission.

Better AI I will be back in SP.

So nowadays I fly mostly MP, TAW can be very immersive (its about surviving) but still dont think any less of SP players.

• Upvote 1

If I accept standards proposed in the vid I obviously am not ready for MP. There are instances in which it has taken me 50 minutes to dispose of a 109G2 “ace” when I am flying a Mig3.

Some reasons why AI is the most important part of the flight game to work on from a business point of view for 777:

1. Online, there are no more then +/- 2.000 people. So, probably >=50%  who bought the game (yes, game…) play offline. At least, everyone is offline from time to time.
  2. Improved AI can massively improve online as well as offline gaming – stuff like coconuts server with AIs integrated in DF-mode are the future!
  3. A vision: Imagine going online with an AI wingmen, in a group of four or even bigger or meeting a USAAF combat box of heavies in the air. That would be a totally new dimension of online and offline gaming! I admit, that may also need work on netcode
  4. Looking at which fields of simulation have the biggest potential towards reality:
    - 3D-models are pretty accurate: educated guess for BoS =  98%, rest potential: 2%
    - landscape gets better from game to game & version to version. Personal feeling after 20 years of flight sim: 85% in BoS compared to cinema / star wars etc.
    - special effects are way better with i.e. the big smoke we have now. Guess = 85%
    - weather: Well… that should be even more localized and dynamic (or the missions don’t use the potential of the game?). 60%
    - DM / FM: similar if no bugs would be there like the evil under-FM’ing of german planes haha. Honestly, now that we have times, dependence on forces etc: educated guess =  70%
    - Sound: Well, it is very good from my p.o.v. . educated guess =  90%
    - AI: They represent one of the most important factors in war – the human part of friend and foe. Everyone can give his own educated guess here, my feeling is: 50%

Some last comments:

1. better AI not necessarily means higher CPU-requirements. Probably that also comes down to intelligent programming.
  2. A lot of tactics are still missing (do we have have dive-bombing, split-S, Immelmann, … ?)

Oops, I wrote myself in a delusion 😊. By the way, the current main contradiction for getting better AI in the near future is that the devs are working on tank crew AI…

Edited by yogy

On 2/16/2019 at 11:27 AM, LF_Gallahad said:

Oh yeah, the AI only turns and acts as retards

9915786759076b8f1dcf0a0a85c50d4e.gif

95f6c6c4145ef8e0ecd18caa5b6491ac.gif

What voodoo wizardry is this?

1 hour ago, SShrike said:

What voodoo wizardry is this?

Seriously, I've never seen the AI do any of that.

The AI recently has been pretty tough as far as staying out of my sights in close range fights. Far from the old turn in one direction, it has been gradually improving from my point of view. Also, did no one else notice that was an 190 DORA that was chasing him?!?

I do play quite a lot offline also, because I make my own missions, often its testing maps made.

The game could do with a far better QMB (quick mission builder) so people that do not want to delve into the full editor (lot of time involved) can design some better scenarios.

I do know that when making missions I have to build in logic to deal with poor AI. The AI landing logic still has problems , like damaged planes doing circles on run way trying to taxi with only one engine (is an example) then no other planes can land.

AA gunners that shoot at anything in their path , building, trees etc , what ever is in the way.(even runway buildings) there is no current checking if they have a clear path to targets. I've been shot down by AA placed too close to runways while still on the ground during taking off.

AA guns on trucks shooting through the truck cabin because the gun elevation is not checked...

These are just some of current problems with with game logic....

I have reported things when found , at some point devs may or may not assign time to fix those (and many other problems)

They have to make money also , which means new content to stay in business.

Stuff is being fixed as they can as far as I can see, some people complain a lot but don't submit feedback (constructive feedback in the feedback area), and many just enjoy the game offline with time they have, nothing wrong with that , and there are many reasons to do so. I'm sure there is more great stuff to see coming , and I'm sure much of that will improve offline play too, I want that also.

If you have not looked into online play and its an open possibility, it can be hell of  lot of fun too. And its not just about a bunch of kids with big egos trying to kill each other (of course that is there too). And it will take your flying to a new level of skill if you take the correct approach to that.

Regards

Stix

Edited by =RS=Stix_09
  • Upvote 1

What program is that? Showing the position and flight path of all aircraft. 

An online mode that would be attractive for me would be one in which 1v1 matchups could be made, ideally with an icon mod like Ptk’s that would make id’ing enemy easier in vr and full cem.

2 minutes ago, SShrike said:

What program is that? Showing the position and flight path of all aircraft. 

Tacview. Worth buying.

Tacview makes it easy to identify where you are failing to maintain corner speed and also from what distance enemy is hitting you, sometimes surprising.

I just did a single mission with the spitfire on kuban and really the AI isn't horrible, after playing 1946 last night and running into a bunch of crap with it's AI (flying 20 minutes to target and don't even drop any bombs and fly home mission complete....) the AI here isn't the worst. Just needs to be tuned better and more specifically to each aircrafts strengths and weaknesses. The 109 g-6 single mission is a lot of fun and the a-20's hold formation, the only problem with it is their escort once it gets into a single tangle leaves the bombers behind and tries to kill planes not even attacking the bomber flight. Things like that need work more than anything. Better following of commands, doing nonsensical stuff like doing a slow pattern on a ground attack even though they are being picked apart, once that stuffs sorted it will be a lot better.

I play online like 95% of the time, but only because the I don't enjoy the AI. I'd probably stop playing online all together if it was better. Cause I am really terrible.

With bodenplatte I'd really wish they'd create some type of "bomber" specific AI that reduces the load so we can have the sky filled with em like in the old games. Make it fly on a basically wire with very little need of the cpu and once it's past a damage limit the normal AI can take over and either fly it down or away or whatever. Think that would be cool.

Edited by JonRedcorn