Han

Developer Diary 216 - Discussion

Very nice modeling work. I love the map pictures, colors and ground features are photorealistic when looked from afar. I hope Bodenplatte map will be improved in terms of resolution and buildings destructability compared to Kuban. 

3 hours ago, Legioneod said:

If that's the case then I could understand. Though I haven't noticed many problems with playing with other players in the same tank.

One thing that needs work is either better UI for knowing ammo types or for the Loader to call out what he is loading that way you can play without having any icons/hud.

Yes, this was the first I'd heard it was a thing in TC. I'm focusing purely on the P-47 so had neither paid much attention to TC, nor has planned on getting it, but I do think it would be hilarious to watch a crew of comedians trying to coordinate a small metal box filled with high explosives. 

I mean, what could go wrong? 

Who knows, they might actually try some of the planes too? 

Edited by Voyager
Polypost not optimal
  • Haha 1

By the various gods, the crew models are incredible!!! So much so that the difference in fidelity between the crewman texture and the tank's texture is noticeably at a different level

_KV1s_crew_5.jpg

• Upvote 1

Firstly I have to say that everything in this DD looks awesome.

I hadn't dared hope for this level of detail in damage modelling, landscaping, player interactability, multiplayer features or general quality of finish. At least at first was expecting more content on the same level as the two basic player tanks, and I'm stunned by the raising of the bar.

Secondly, though I'm (genuinely) thrilled at the prospect of multiplayer tanking (I can see this getting some attention at parties), I have to ask;

Will it still be as accessible for newbies (and perpetual underachievers like my good self)? Will it still be easy and uncomplicated at the Normal Difficulty end of the ability pool? Will it be possible for the weakest to take on the strongest with hope in his heart (and a 10minute briefing and a couple of offline practise games)?

In my own experience tanking has been a really good way to get non-hardcore simmers into the game (especially the thrilling multiplayer experience), via the medium of something slower paced and more forgiving, often like a slow motion FPS game. I know a good few regular pilots who started their service lives as tankers. I would love to see that number grow and grow.

Edited by Johnny-Red

I wonder if there will be a Pilot Career covering the Battle of Kursk over this Tank Crew map.

• Upvote 1

The Kursk map should eventually expand to the size of the other maps  and add a Battle of Kursk set of planes. They are going to be half way there anyway.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

The Kursk map should eventually expand to the size of the other maps  and add a Battle of Kursk set of planes. They are going to be half way there anyway.

Don't see how they can do that - surely the reason this map is smaller is to accommodate the 16x more detailed mesh and the destructible buildings.

If they make a full-size map they will need to lose those, which will make it less attractive for the tankers.

Edited by kendo
changed 4x to the correct 16x

6 minutes ago, kendo said:

Don't see how they can do that - surely the reason this map is smaller is to accommodate the 4x more detailed mesh and the destructible buildings.

If they make a full-size map they will need to lose those, which will make it less attractive for the tankers.

As far as we know only the Prokhorovka sector (19x23) will have that resolution, the rest of the map will be the conventional one.

battle_of_kursk_concept_by_nachomolina-d

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/02/11/air-battles-kursk-1943-i/

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan

1 minute ago, kendo said:

Don't see how they can do that - surely the reason this map is smaller is to accommodate the 4x more detailed mesh and the destructible buildings.

1 hour ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

You don't need a Battle of Kursk set of planes - except for the Yak-9 we have everything important that took part already; after all, it's in the same timeframe as Kuban.

The Prokhorovka map is 106x106 km, perfectly adequate for the type of air combat that took place in Operation Citadel. If you look at the pics of Belgorod in the DDs you can see that everything outside of the TanK Crew 'extra-detailed' segment is built to the usual BoX high standard.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

As far as we know only the Prokhorovka sector (19x23) will have that resolution, the rest of the map will be the conventional one.

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2016/02/11/air-battles-kursk-1943-i/

My understanding of this is that the entire Kursk map has the more detailed mesh, but that the destructible buildings are limited to the 19x23km section.

Great image by the way...

I remember that somebody posted the size of every map in post but I cannot find it. I would like to see how this Kursk map compares with the others ...

15 minutes ago, kendo said:

My understanding of this is that the entire Kursk map has the more detailed mesh, but that the destructible buildings are limited to the 19x23km section.

I hope you are right. It would make more sense.

Maps: https://www.themaparchive.com/battle-of-kursk-513-july-1943.html

mjfhfmj.jpg

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan

Dug this out from DD195:

"The action in Tank Crew: Clash at Prokhorovka will take place in 100x100 km area around Belgorod, including the place where the greatest tank battle of all time was waged, near Prokhorovka village. You can see that the map size is smaller than in our other projects, but we made it smaller on purpose to use our recently developed landscape detail scaling technology. This tech will make the landscape wireframe 16 times more detailed than our usual maps that are designed for aircraft engagements. While being smaller than our other maps, this map size is still unequal among tank sims. We don't do this just to boast about it either - the size of our map makes joint multiplayer with tanks and aircraft possible on the same multiplayer server.

In addition to 16 times more detailed landscape, we also implemented the knock-over-trees tech which in some aspects is more advanced than in competing titles. The terrain texturing has also been improved to make creating believable settlements and villages possible.

The settlements also required new tech advances because this project is focused on tanks, so we have implemented more detailed building damage modeling. Of course, we can’t get carried away, because populating all settlements and big towns with detailed damage model buildings won't be feasible from both development resources and sim performance standpoints. The bulk of the map will be populated like on the regular maps while the historically important areas where the major tank engagements happened will have the new detailed buildings. This will make ramming the buildings possible by the way. As you can imagine, the area of the Prokhorovka battle will be one of these highly detailed areas. The size of just this area is comparable to the full size of the map in some tank games."

7 minutes ago, kendo said:

And to my understanding on the Kursk map only the area of 19km x 23km is on a more detailed terrain mesh with destructible buildings, the rest of the map is

on the standard mesh basis like the other maps, which is fairly reasonable and will help to avoid some performance issues.

If you all remember correctly, when the Kuban map was released, we all noticed some performance impact, although not dramatic in any ways, but still a difference

to the other maps we already had then. And I think we will observe this on the new Bodenplatte map too for sure.

It says in the latest DD that the map 106*106 km. So flying at 300mph or 480 kmh will take 13 minutes to fly from one side to the other. It is about the same size of the Lapino map. The number of planes will have to be restricted quite heavily as it will be no fun for tanks as it will be too easy for planes to wipe them out. Also please anyone making a server for TC please lock out the big German nukes as they are very frustrating. 

I think for MP and from a tank game play point of view there should only be 5-10 planes a side split 30:70 % fighters to attackers, with no medium bombers. This way it will keep things ground orientated and not let it become just another DF server with tanks.

Edited by AeroAce
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AeroAce said:

It says in the latest DD that the map 106*106 km. So flying at 300mph or 480 kmh will take 13 minutes to fly from one side to the other. It is about the same size of the Lapino map. The number of planes will have to be restricted quite heavily as it will be no fun for tanks as it will be too easy for planes to wipe them out. Also please anyone making a server for TC please lock out the big German nukes as they are very frustrating. 

I think for MP and from a tank game play point of view there should only be 5-10 planes a side split 30:70 % fighters to attackers, with no medium bombers. This way it will keep things ground orientated and not let it become just another DF server with tanks.

There will be two types of MP game on this map -- tanks in the detailed zone with limited aircraft, and the usual numbers of aircraft with AI tanks and vehicles across the whole map. Even at just 106x106 km the Prokhorovka map is ideal for ground-pounding and the army support missions that took place in Citadel. All close-quarter stuff. Much as I'm going to enjoy Tank Crew I'm looking forward more to the air side of things.

They're doing a terrific job and I will be interested to see the command interface. Just wonder why another PzIII though. At the moment the German player can choose between a slow light tank with a popgun and a slow heavy tank which is a large target. So everybody with any sense is in a Tiger. Why would you want to take the new PzIII over a Tiger?

4 minutes ago, beresford said:

They're doing a terrific job and I will be interested to see the command interface. Just wonder why another PzIII though. At the moment the German player can choose between a slow light tank with a popgun and a slow heavy tank which is a large target. So everybody with any sense is in a Tiger. Why would you want to take the new PzIII over a Tiger?

Mission design. A tiger should not be available in largr quantaties in any mission trying to simulate anything semi-historical ...

3 hours ago, 216th_Cat said:

There will be two types of MP game on this map -- tanks in the detailed zone with limited aircraft, and the usual numbers of aircraft with AI tanks and vehicles across the whole map. Even at just 106x106 km the Prokhorovka map is ideal for ground-pounding and the army support missions that took place in Citadel. All close-quarter stuff. Much as I'm going to enjoy Tank Crew I'm looking forward more to the air side of things.

There is a MP game like this already on the DED normal server that will give u a good idea of how things will play out!!!

LOl the game play is not grate for tanks atm!

"So everybody with any sense is in a Tiger."

And that would, effectively, keep me from going on line with this....if I buy it. 

Salutations,

Historically, there were limits to the numbers of certain equipment on the WWII battlefield.

I think server administrators can set limits to the numbers of certain types of equipment at spawn points or airfields. Therefore, not everybody will be in the best equipment. 😶

• Like 1

I wonder if we’ll have smoke available as part of the ammunition. That would be great especially going against an 88

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2019 at 3:10 PM, beresford said:

Why would you want to take the new PzIII over a Tiger?

For myself - becouse PZ. III is damn sexy 😁. And next - I like agile tanks and PZ. III agile is without doubt. I mean new PZ. III with schurtzen. Well, cant wait to PZ. IVG as well ☠️

Hi, to anybody who has TC but  not played it, I recommend [Attention EFront tanks and aircraft] in multi player under dogfights. I personally find it best after 7pm GMT missions can be long but great if you are into tanks. ps watch out for enemy aircraft at spawn point

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, I./JG1_Baron said:

For myself - becouse PZ. III is damn sexy 😁. And next - I like agile tanks and PZ. III agile is without doubt. I mean new PZ. III with schurtzen. Well, cant wait to PZ. IVG as well ☠️

my go to will be the panther, good frontal armor, good speed and an amazing long barrel 75mm high velocity gun

well, the Panzer IIIs gun should do just fine against Shermans and the Panzer IV G we're getting has the 75mm L48 so it's also pretty hard hitting and shouldn't have too many issues punching through most allied tanks it will face in TC

7 minutes ago, Asgar said:

well, the Panzer IIIs gun should do just fine against Shermans

Panzer III would have troubles against the Sherman... it already does against the T-34 and the Sherman has better frontal armor. Best chance would be to use APCR against the flat areas of the turret.

That being said the weakspots below the hull hatces aren't sloped so maybe the 50mm might get through them with normal AP ammo, though you would have to aim for them.

Shermans have [edited] soft armor

Edited by SYN_Haashashin
Language

An option to add foliage cover to your tank when in hiding at edge of woodland would be nice!

6 hours ago, Asgar said:

my go to will be the panther, good frontal armor, good speed and an amazing long barrel 75mm high velocity gun

I wonder if they model the D variant, which was present at Operation Citadel, including its well known habbit to flame up due to various non combat related reasons. Really a german ronson tank.

6 minutes ago, sevenless said:

I wonder if they model the D variant, which was present at Operation Citadel, including its well known habbit to flame up due to various non combat related reasons. Really a german ronson tank.

That's the only model that was at Kursk. 

25 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

That's the only model that was at Kursk. 

Sorry bad wording on my part. I am fully aware that the D Version was the only one at Citadel with 51st and 52nd Btl near Cherkasskoye . Sentence should have read: I wonder if they model the well known habbit to flame up due to various non combat related reasons of the D variant, which was present at Citadel.

Seeing as we don't have random engine failures or anything like that for aircraft, I would assume not. 

Pz. III has some pedigree unlike the ‘fashionable’ newcomers. But as I said to Guderian at the time: you should focus on the long-barrelled IV if you want capability, mobility and force size.

He agreed, but alas his ‘Heinz’ were tied...

NETSCAPE has arrived to make his obligatory Stug III G comment. 

YOLO. 

• Upvote 1