Han

Developer Diary 216 - Discussion

I have been testing the Tank Crew and it really looks promising.

I would make a simple suggestion, IMHO the turret rotation could be paired up with the rudder command so we can use the pedals to move the turret and not keys. :)

Also, is there a fast way to bring back the turret to line up with the hull?

Thanks

• Upvote 1

I've used the rudders on my HOTAS for steering and my joystick for turret movement via JoyToKey. 😁

ThrustmasterT16000FC_TANKSheet.png

Edited by Thad
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

In the map screen shot,  it shows a smaller square within a larger map.

Does the smaller square show the detailed section for TC use,  the larger map area simply showing where that map sits in relation to the rest of the world or, is the larger map the overall extent of the map, for aircraft AND Tank use, with the smaller square showing the detailed area specifically detailed for Tank operations ?  Or is it just indicating the part of the map from which the screen shots are taken ?

• Upvote 1

Amazing stuff!  :yahoo: Hope you can "jump" to other tank of your "controllable platoon" when you actual one gets killed (like an user option, not always)

thanks for the quality art !

As far as I understand it, the whole map can utilize tanks and planes anywhere and at the same time.

The entire map (The whole 106x106 km) will have increased terrain tessellation (More polygons in the landscape)

Within the (19х23 km) blue square shown below, there will be buildings and scenery which is higher detailed, and has a more complex damage modelling.

SouthernProkhorovka_01.thumb.jpg.c8bb649a74402ae7ad7a874d033999b1.jpg

On the map shown in the dev diary, the whole map excluding the blue square will use the standard level of detail/modelling for ground assets and buildings.

In all, the whole map will have a higher detail in the landscape, whereas only a fraction of the map will feature the higher detailed buildings.

Edited by Tyggz
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Looks fantastic! :cool:

Very happy I bought TC. That new map is going to be great.

I have it too ... now I just have to get around to playing it :) .  Those interiors look beautiful.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, moosya said:

" ability to control one tank with several people in multiplayer "..

wow.. that's super exciting!

the screenshots are just tasty!

Can't we already do this? Or am I misreading?

Thank you so much for the new commander game-play. It will be very interesting.

The crew man looks gorgeous and more fearless than the passenger U2! Great progress

Did real tank turrets turn with foot pedals? Any of them have steering wheels or gas pedals? I guess I've never really looked how how most tanks were driven. Cool.

20 minutes ago, kestrel79 said:

Did real tank turrets turn with foot pedals? Any of them have steering wheels or gas pedals? I guess I've never really looked how how most tanks were driven. Cool.

It varies by tank. Some have manual control with big wheels some have pedals, some of levers. It all depends.

1 hour ago, PatrickAWlson said:

I have it too ... now I just have to get around to playing it :) .  Those interiors look beautiful.

Yep, no question it looks really good, and you can just tell it's going to get much better. Also, I just got FC and that high detail tank map is going to be great for slow moving aircraft.

Really impressive.  I'm very glad to hear that some form of field repairs will be introduced.  Prior to that any light disabling would be as good as a defeat.  The ability to repair should assist the flow of gameplay considerably. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Tyggz said:

As far as I understand it, the whole map can utilize tanks and planes anywhere and at the same time.

The entire map (The whole 106x106 km) will have increased terrain tessellation (More polygons in the landscape)

Within the (19х23 km) blue square shown below, there will be buildings and scenery which is higher detailed, and has a more complex damage modelling.

SouthernProkhorovka_01.thumb.jpg.c8bb649a74402ae7ad7a874d033999b1.jpg

On the map shown in the dev diary, the whole map excluding the blue square will use the standard level of detail/modelling for ground assets and buildings.

In all, the whole map will have a higher detail in the landscape, whereas only a fraction of the map will feature the higher detailed buildings.

Thanks, thats how I thought it would work.  The larger map, while less detailed or complex, allows for the sensible employment of aircraft within TC.  It'll be interesting to see how the detailed section will effect frame rates for pilots or whether pilots will have certain details withheld to maintain frames, but at the same time have some form of masking for ground vehicles that are in cover so they aren't left exposed all the while thinking they're hidden.

this makes me think of what’s coming soon! I used to play this for hours on my old pc

Edited by rowdyb00t

I'm loving the detailed crew, interiors, improved damage models (will be useful in aircraft campaigns as well) AI improvements, detailed map...I can see spending some time that I don't really have on this. I'm also looking forward to an American crewed Sherman, and some Western Front scenarios at some point.

Well done team.

• Upvote 3

WoW bloody WoW. I really didn’t envisage playing TC that often when I purchased it.

However I made the mistake of giving it a whirl and as a consequence have done bugger all flying this past week. In its final state it is going to nothing less than awesome. 

I be truly impressed I be.

To echo everyone else, those screenshots are truly incredible. The detail is stunning. 

4 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

I'm also looking forward to an American crewed Sherman, and some Western Front scenarios at some point.

Let's hope that will be an installment not too far in the future.  

Nice pictures and the multiplayers announcements are really good news, continue the good work. :salute:

Edited by senseispcc

8 hours ago, rowdyb00t said:

this makes me think of what’s coming soon! I used to play this for hours on my old pc

What is it that in WII games they let German soldiers scream all the time? Not only in Steel Fury but also in this flight sim.

As if all German soldiers talk in the microphone like Adolf Hitler during his mass speeches.

• Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

I don't know, but the Sherman 'Zippos' interiors look off to me. There's no fire anywhere.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Uufflakke said:

As if all German soldiers talk in the microphone like Adolf Hitler during his mass speeches.

Part of what makes them the best villains.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JtD said:

I don't know, but the Sherman 'Zippos' interiors look off to me. There's no fire anywhere.

This is what you meant right?😋

e02ed5b3eba315bffde8f389fc7a603f.jpg

Edited by Legioneod

21 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

This is what you meant right?😋

To quote Zappa here: 'Outside what's on the inside. Nice!'. He might have been talking about panties, though. :blush:

FANTASTIC!!!

You guys are incredible!

Love what i have read. My first Tanksim since a long time ago!

I love all the detail you put into TC! For the future i know its getting better and better. Like the crew. Cant wait to see them in action.

Thank you

Edited by Yankee_One

This all sounds really good.
Though:

"We also plan to make them repairable in the field"

I don't know how to feel about that.

34 minutes ago, Fliegel said:

This all sounds really good.
Though:

"We also plan to make them repairable in the field"

I don't know how to feel about that.

I expect (strongly hope) this to be tracks and smaller component repairs. As long as it is restricted to this - and could historically be repaired

by the crew in the field- I don’t really mind

• Upvote 1

Multiple players in the same tank... 

You guys are planning on sending the Yogscast people some CD keys (and a very large quick reference sheet) once it's ready to play, right? 

The closest I will ever get to tank simming is flying my trusty Il-2, but sure, whatever can bring more people to this sim is very welcome, as long as the side show doesn't suddenly become the main show!

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Multiple players in the same tank... 

You guys are planning on sending the Yogscast people some CD keys (and a very large quick reference sheet) once it's ready to play, right? 

I'm confused by this. This is already possible so why is it just being brought up? My friends and I operate in the same tank on multiple occasions.

Probably because the capability wasn't officially supported previously or it wasn't working as they intended. 🙁

28 minutes ago, Thad said:

Probably because the capability wasn't officially supported previously or it wasn't working as they intended. 🙁

If that's the case then I could understand. Though I haven't noticed many problems with playing with other players in the same tank.

One thing that needs work is either better UI for knowing ammo types or for the Loader to call out what he is loading that way you can play without having any icons/hud.

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

I'm confused by this. This is already possible so why is it just being brought up? My friends and I operate in the same tank on multiple occasions.

The way I read it is that the commander in the tank will now be able to give orders to another player or AI in the same tank, not DC or TS. So I’m guessing that any left over seats will be filled with AI (loader, radioman, driver or whichever)