BornToBattle

Night Flights and Lighting

Good day all, or evening I guess depending on where you are!

I have been having a BLAST flying IL2 in VR now. Literally, a complete game changer to say the least. I don’t miss that damn hat switch AT ALL! Can’t wait until the resolution on the Rift S gets booted up.

One thing I couldn’t help but notice and I’m sure this has been mentioned before but in flying at night whether quick combat or a career mission (and in both VR and 2D) is that there are no ground lights from buildings anywheres to be seen. I mean from small hamlets to entire cities and therefore harder to get a landmark fix while navigating. Landmark navigating aside, is this due to total blackout conditions during this period of time? Just curious. You’d think there would be a few idiots out there leaving some sort of light on. I dunno. I guess it seems historically realistic from that standpoint.

I do not want to sound like I’m second guessing the dev teams here on this one. Far from it. Just an observation so if someone else is over flying and they mention it I can tell them with some authority as to why that is. Pardon my post if this has been beat to death before.

Usually the idiots not adhering to "light discipline" (to borrow a USN term) are convoy and trains. I reckon it is a compromise of sorts that no town has a few random lights. Be that as it may, navigating around Juri_JS's Night Fighters over the Kuban isn't too hard, and is immensely entertaining IMO. 

Night flying in the U-2VS at 100 meters and 120 kph is also fun.

It was common to blackout areas near combat zones mostly because it played hell with navigation efforts, as you noted. There may have been a light here or there but nothing on the order of a village all lit up and the punishment for breaking light discipline could be harsh varying by location. For the larger cities it would be defiantly be a dark zone by government order or because the infrastructure of a place like Stalingrad was blown up. There were even places far from combat zones that had to adhere to light discipline regimes. Coastal towns in the US for example would periodically be forced to go dark to keep Uboat observation to a minimum and to foil coastal navigation; though my favorite example happened in the California city of L.A., just look up the battle of LA.

Your best bet when flying in conditions where you can't be sure of land marks is to figure out the distance you need to go in a given direction, fly at a constant speed and divide the distance and speed to get the time you need to fly that course and speed. It isn't an exact solution but it should get you close to where you need to be.

Hey thanks guys! I was 99% sure that blackout conditions did prevail and were historically representated by the dev team, which never ceases to amaze me. I’m just starting out as a career in my JU-52 and now with my new Rift it’s a blast! I’m still trying to get this wonky flap interconnect thing straightened out and linking key commands to what needs to be done, but I’ll get it - eventually! I’ve been landing with no flaps my first three missions but need to know the proper technique Incase of a short field landing.

Thanks again for the input!

5 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

I’m still trying to get this wonky flap interconnect thing straightened out and linking key commands to what needs to be done, but I’ll get it - eventually! I’ve been landing with no flaps my first three missions but need to know the proper technique Incase of a short field landing.

About the weird interconnected flap thing:

1) set stabilizer to +2 (on the dial)
2) engage the flaps operation (now the stabilizer and flaps operation should be interconnected)
3) now move the stabilizer back to 0 (or even further? - don't remember) and you'll see the flaps lowering with it gradually - this way you can continue moving the stabilizer until flaps are fully lowered for short landing

Didn't Germans even set up fake lighting somewhat away from their industrial targets in 44/45 to confuse and misdirect allied night bombers? I vaguely remember reading something like that somewhere. They combined it with newspaper reports of bombings in wrong locations to further confuse allied strategists.

All sides engaged in lots of different tom foolery to confuse air or ship navigation.

The US moved light ships around for example, that one worked to fool an IJN sub that surfaced to shell a refinery with it's deck gun, but it shot up a field full of nothing instead, as one example.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL