Voyager

So I'm familiarizing myself with a new airstrip

Been playing around in the Moscow map for a while now, and was just reading that Pat Wilson is doing an interim Bodenplatte campaign using the Stalingrad map, so I figure its a good time to try some of those airstrips. Pretty much just takeoff, climb to 5,000 ft, look around then come back home to base.

I do that, and I'm looking around when when I see, what the heck?

2019_2_13__3_10_24.thumb.jpg.3bea5910c6d26bd09a29fe357092ec55.jpg

Big dark patches of land....

Then it hits me, those are cloud shadows. Shadows of clouds. This game has cloud shadows modeled....

Wow. Just had to say that.

Then the flack train started shooting at me and I had to go strafe it several times to mostly get it to stop.

Still, very, very impressive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just wait until you are flying a U-2 night sortie at 200 meters height and can see the shadow (from the moonlight) of another airplane on the ground. Very cool.;)

• Like 1

Yeah cloud shadows is one of the cool things since Rise of flight I believe... and they move with wind :)

Aaaaaalso!!!!! Clouded are synced, I believe, with players online... 

so if I see a cloud, you see a cloud... not random per client...

unless im wrong someone correct me.

was in dcs and my buddy had clouds and I didn’t..

this is important 

15 hours ago, spartan85 said:

Yeah cloud shadows is one of the cool things since Rise of flight I believe... and they move with wind :)

Never noticed this. I maybe wrong but I don't think clouds are affected by wind.

Cloud shadows are cool for sure. The landscapes are amazing but the way it looks different depending on weather condition, time of day, etc. is what really makes it.

I really appreciate the little details like the quality of the perspex on diferent cockpits. The glass isn't completely transparent, so there's a noticeable difference between aircraft and with no canopy. I love it - it gives a sense of enclosure when the canopy is shut vs. when its open, or when you're flying an I-16 (or U-2, though I don't own that one). 

Also the birdsong when you're sitting on the ground with the canopy open and engine off. Multiple different species of birds too, though I can't ID them because I don't know what birds live on the Russian steppe lol.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RedKestrel said:

or when you're flying an I-16 (or U-2, though I don't own that one). 

Oh! You're the ONE who hasn't bought the U-2 yet! Shame on you. ;-)

5 minutes ago, Elem said:

Oh! You're the ONE who hasn't bought the U-2 yet! Shame on you. 😉

I refuse to purchase the U-2 until Bono apologizes for his last three albums.

• Haha 3

Yup. The level of detail this studio produces, wow. I hope they never compensate quality over quantity aka War Thunder.

I had some good looking screenshots on one flight some time back while flying the JU-52. The conditions were right and the "God rays" were being cast around the clouds. That and the ground shadows was truly impressive. I had some screenshots, must have deleted them though. Argh.

I only wish that I would have had my Oculus Rift at the time! Man, virtual reality REALLY changes everything! Can't wait for the Rift S and the higher resolution.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:59 PM, RedKestrel said:

Also the birdsong when you're sitting on the ground with the canopy open and engine off. Multiple different species of birds too, though I can't ID them because I don't know what birds live on the Russian steppe lol.

Also if for any unknown reason (getting shut down) you land in towns or villages you can hear dog barks and the such :) 

6 hours ago, E4GLEyE said:

Also if for any unknown reason (getting shut down) you land in towns or villages you can hear dog barks and the such :) 

I haven't had that happen, now I wanna ditch near a town to see what happens

On 2/14/2019 at 9:17 AM, Nibbio said:

Never noticed this. I maybe wrong but I don't think clouds are affected by wind.

They do move though. It's most noticeable when watching a track at an accelerated speed.