cosg_Paul

restarting Ironman career as replacement

I've been doing a few ironman careers in the moscow campaign and lastiing at most about ten days.   Is there a way to start another career as a new pilot on the same day I died, as if he is my replacement.   This would allow me to eventually see the end of the campaign.  I know you can choose the starting phase but some phases have a lot of days in them.

many thanks

Just don't choose the Ironman option, when you start a career.

Yeah, i know that not starting an ironman career is possible.  But that would mean your medals, victories etc would be carried over too rather than starting afresh.   I saw a thread about editing the career file to restore a bugged campaign but was thought maybe that technique could be used to make a replacement.  No idea how to do it though.

Edited by cosgrove1982
typo

I agree this would be really nice to have. Even if you could choose a particular date as well as, or perhaps in place of the phase of the campaign. 

If I recall correctly you could choose your start date in Rise of Flight, but ideally I would want the squadron stats and history to carry over if I rejoin as a battle casualty replacement

• Like 1

Yes, it would be great if you could rejoin the same squadron with your previous commander and wingmen etc.  But I'd settle for some way of just starting a new campaign on the same day :)

• Upvote 1

Right now all you can choose to do is start at a specific phase of the career. I would love the option to 'iron man' the career but start with a newbie pilot replacing yours when you die. That would be cool. Even just being able to start at a specific date rather than phase.

I'd be more likely to play Iron Man mode with something like this enabled. 

• Like 2

This would be a very cool feature. I'm not sure how it could be implemented, but I would love if Career mode allowed you to keep playing beyond the death of your first pilot, or even your fifth.

big +1 to this! tho my luckiest Italian carried through a few hard crashes a stray AAA shell killed him not long ago... Wish I could continue his path with a replacement (BoM)

I like that idea as well, should go to suggestions!

I think the main issue with implementing this is the current career mode is based on the pilot, not the theatre, squadron, etc.
So something would have to be tweaked or added that allowed some kind of automatic creation of a new pilot in that squadron on that date upon the death/capture of the old pilot...
Even just being able to choose a specific date to start your career would be excellent IMO. 

Thanks for the replies.  Hopefully something like this might come along in the future.  

I'd be happy with that too as it lets you at least get through the whole campaign.  Iron man is a big help as it's making me more concentrated in flights, but lapses in concentration when diving at high speed, ground attack lead to frustrating crashes.   So it's groundhog day in the moscow campaign at the moment.

To the forum mods, maybe you could leave this here for a day or so to see if anyone else has any ideas and then move it to the suggestions thread?  thanks

I would think it should be possible to add the ability to start a career on a specific date since RoF had this feature.  

On 2/12/2019 at 3:05 PM, RedKestrel said:

I think the main issue with implementing this is the current career mode is based on the pilot, not the theatre, squadron, etc.
So something would have to be tweaked or added that allowed some kind of automatic creation of a new pilot in that squadron on that date upon the death/capture of the old pilot...
Even just being able to choose a specific date to start your career would be excellent IMO. 

Something like that - once the pilot is killed offer a button to create a new pilot.  The new pilot gets inserted into the existing squadron at the existing date.  Keep going.  What I am not sure of is the internal data structures.  Does the code map awards to the pilot or to the campaign.  If the latter then life gets more difficult.

• Upvote 3

On 2/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, PatrickAWlson said:

If the latter then life gets more difficult.

Should just be able to zero it out though.

Not that you can do it in the course of eating a sandwich I'm sure.