Sign in to follow this  
II./JG77_motoadve

Overcast weather

I wish they fix the overcast weather, its totally unrealistic when flying under it, you can never see where the bottoms of the clouds are.

Also looks blue on top where the cloud layer is supposed to be.

I have never flown in conditions where you cant see the bottoms of the clouds ever, and I have flown lots of low ceilings, and in the clouds.

Not sure what they think they modeled there.

Over the clouds overcast modeling its good, also crossing the layer its pretty good, getting dark and all.

Yes we can all go outside and see clouds, including the Devs.

Clouds are a result of the abilities of the current engine.

When they can do better, they will.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Yes we can all go outside and see clouds, including the Devs.

Clouds are a result of the abilities of the current engine.

When they can do better, they will.

You can see the clouds? then you will agree its very unrealistic what we have for overcast, actually pretty useless for missions.

They can make it much better with the game engine they have now,  they already do pretty good heavy clouds weather with different layers, overcast can be the heavy weather add more clouds instead of  the layers  being vertical put them horizontally.

Useless?

Interesting, I've managed to make use of it just fine.

• Like 1

Why the attitude @Gambit21 really unnecessary when the guy is trying to help make the game better and he's giving a real example as he is a pilot himself. You should show a little more respect for someone as a tester. Your a representative of the sim. You of all people should appreciate this matter as he is trying to help. 

Also, English isn't his first language so he is communicating as he knows how, direct and to the point. Don't assume he's trying to be an ass. Motoadve has all valid points, just wish some of you can listen to constructive criticism isn't of defensive actions. 

Clouds if at all possible should be reworked if its not already on the to do list. He was kind enough to use an example from his own flying footage to use as a perfect real of example to go from. Great work, hope to devs put this into work.

• Upvote 1

Please explain to me where and how he is trying to make the game better, especially calling the overcast as it is "useless for missions"

I've made use of the current overcast setting just fine. Is it perfect? Of course not - useless? Hardly.

Further, it doesn't take a pilot to walk outside and make the observation that clouds in the current engine are not exactly like real life.

Welcome to a hundred other past threads where this has been discussed. With that I'll simply point to my first post here on the subject.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Gambit21 said:

Please explain to me where and how he is trying to make the game better, especially calling the overcast as it is "useless for missions"

I've made use of the current overcast setting just fine. Is it perfect? Of course not - useless? Hardly.

Further, it doesn't take a pilot to walk outside and make the observation that clouds in the current engine are not exactly like real life.

Welcome to a hundred other past threads where this has been discussed. With that I'll simply point to my first post here on the subject.

You are making totally unrealistic missions when using overcast then. 

The weather that is modeled simply does not exist.

This is not how progress is made, post a solution ,not a reply I can make missions the way it is.

Nothing will never be improved if everyone had that mentality or dont allow other people express their opinions or critique.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

You are making totally unrealistic missions when using overcast then. 

The weather that is modeled simply does not exist.

This is not how progress is made, post a solution ,not a reply I can make missions the way it is.

Nothing will never be improved if everyone had that mentality or dont allow other people express their opinions or critique.

It's what we have for the moment - period.

I'd advise you to look at other threads on the subject, in fact Jason remarked on the clouds thread on this very page.

You're not helping 'progress' by creating a thread about something that everyone, including and especially the devs already know and have commented on multiple times.

Everyone including myself use what we have for the moment, and when something isn't perfect we use a work-around or we make due.

Many things require some degree of suspension of disbelief, not just the clouds. That's the nature of flight sims, and we just wait for things to improve with time.

In any case, even if you were bringing something new to the table (rather than something hashed over a million times) there's a way to do it other than calling the existing item that some of us can use to decent effect "useless".

Good on you for being a pilot - same clouds I see on the ground or when I fly on an airliner last time I checked.

I had a question for Han at one point about margins and different cloud regions within a single weather setting, since yes the same cloud pattern over the entire sky is unrealistic, (something I'm somehow able to figure out without being a pilot) and I wanted the option of say a clear sky region over the water, and clouds over the mountains for instance. He answered that doing this might be possible later, but a lot of work due to border/transition areas.

Good enough.

The point though is that I didn't find myself in a conversation with him by starting a thread calling what I did have 'useless for missions'.

Take it or leave it.

Edited by Gambit21
  • Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

post a solution 

He did.  Get used to what we've got.  That's the solution.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, II./JG77_Spaz said:

Why the attitude @Gambit21 really unnecessary when the guy is trying to help make the game better and he's giving a real example as he is a pilot himself. You should show a little more respect for someone as a tester. Your a representative of the sim. You of all people should appreciate this matter as he is trying to help. 

Also, English isn't his first language so he is communicating as he knows how, direct and to the point. Don't assume he's trying to be an ass. Motoadve has all valid points, just wish some of you can listen to constructive criticism isn't of defensive actions. 

Hold on there sport. Motodave gets the respect he shows. Constructive critiquing is not something he knows how to do. He simply lacks that ability. His methodology is simple, 1) assert that some aspect of the sim is totally unrealistic and 2) assert that he's a not only a pilot, but a warbird pilot. He's never actually told us which single engine WWII fighter he's qualified to fly. He's not the only pilot on these forums, but you might not know that.

I've only been flying since 1971 with 18,000 hours. The Devs are aware of issues with clouds in the game. And as Gambit pointed out, Jason addressed his awareness and the limitations of the software once again today. It is what it is. Most folks around here are aware, Motodave...not so much. After 57 other guys have complained Motodave is simply number 58. 

Motodave is that guy in class that keeps raising his hand to tell the teacher she forgot to assign homework. Remember what you thought about that guy?

• Upvote 5

We have a flat world. When we don’t have a flat world overcast and horizon will looks different. 

This s just a sophisticated trolling exercise. Closed.

Jason