-332FG-Buddy

P-51 throttle Quadrant replica

I have a question, if some can help me with this please let me know.   Here we go, I have a saitek throttle quadrant and I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to modify/change the levers to make them look like a p51 handles. I'll be showing three pictures. The first is the saitek throttle quadrant I'm talking about. The second is a p-51 throttle quadrant. Finally third, is a picture I found on thingiverse where some one had a similar idea to min but modified it to make it look like a 109 throttle quadrant.  Any advice would surely help thank you

7d7c857f02427f6d117451283de88d2f_preview_featured.jpg

throttle-gallery-1.png.imgw.1888.1888.jpeg

3.jpg

• Like 1

For an more P-51 operation ideally is should turn base 45º,  see this support - front part has attachment for this deskmount clamp.

https://www.cockpitphd.com/cpsqs.html

And 3DPrint levers - throttle lever may require reinforcement due leverage.

Can rewire one of this rockers buttons for a "mic" button in throttle grip.

453Raafspity has some drawings for a "replica" parts.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4458204/re-p51d-throttle-quadrants#Post4458204

Here 3D (Sketchup) or this quadrant, can use for do some drawings.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model/5e01344ce1f84400c94c0075b8696c7f/Saitek-Pro-Flight-Throttle-Quadrant?hl=en

Did you ever get any help with this? I was just thinking of doing a set for a P-51, but came here to check before I modeled anything :)

I also have one of those Saitek throttle quadrants, it came with a few different levers, I think the default Cessna looking stuff and then some black handles that would look more at home in a jumbo jet.. Point being that they are interchangeable, so you would have to see what the base of those handles look like and try to make those accurate in a 3d printing program with the new knobs, easy enough to pop on some custom ones if they were done well.

Still working this of course, but had a good test run last night in a server with Buddy. 

51_V3.png

51_v3_3.png

Edited by LD.Strat
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, LD.Strat said:

Still working this of course, but had a good test run last night in a server with Buddy. 

51_V3.png

Wowsers, that is nice looking.

• Upvote 1

A little off topic but related; I bet you could convince GVL to make a Mustang quadrant if they aren’t already. I’ve heard good things about those guys and will be spec’ing a custom Fw mount this summer.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

I've been flying with this prototype since yesterday. It works well... The design is obviously a bit of a compromise due to plastic construction, but I think it looks the part. The Saitek/Logitech quadrant is not the sturdiest of bases to begin with anyway. We are planning to build an entire unit next. 

51_Saitek_V3.jpg

• Upvote 2

Saitek/Logitech quadrant is not the sturdiest of bases to begin with anyway. We are planning to build an entire unit next. 

Like HerrMurf suggest, use GVL224 metal mechanics/sensor, he sell then standalone, then you print a box that fit in P-51 style.

Saitek internals is very "mehh", specially pontentiometers used in this Quadrant. Anyway give option for ones that own one.

Yes, this will go on Thingiverse for those who want to make their own set (like the 109 handles I did) 

Started working on a two stepped sheet metal enclosure, whith trim knobs and a trim wheel on the first step before the levers. 

Couple more pictures of current setup mounted. Will finish up the Mixture and Prop knobs next and call it done. The knobs pictured are standing in. 

20190307_224832.jpg

20190307_224448.jpg

Edited by -99th-Strat
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

How would I go about getting this set up for my quadrant? I’ve searched for a mustang set up for about 2 months. 

how big are the P and B ball knobs on the mustang/p47 throttle? 25mm?
I bought a 35mm machine knob off of amazon and it fits very nicely on the saitek with some dremelling, but i think it's too big...
Want to get the correct size balls and attach them to the arms via L brackets and screws, which i'll partially flatten in a vice.
I might even grind the faces of the balls flat to put letters on them.

On 3/6/2019 at 1:13 PM, -332FG-Strat said:

51_V3.png

Nice design, I suggest invert mixture and propeller pitch knobs, since mixture is less used, if divide axis in bands can use only the lower part ~1/3, since P-51 mixture adjustment is in fixed positions.

1 hour ago, von_Michelstamm said:

how big are the P and B ball knobs on the mustang/p47 throttle? 25mm?
I bought a 35mm machine knob off of amazon and it fits very nicely on the saitek with some dremelling, bws too big...

Based in some measures in this drawings (the guy sell 1:1 copy of this plans) mixture and pitch knobs is around 1-3/16 ~ 30mm OD.

https://i.imgur.com/r94GtNm.png

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=60751&start=45

Attached some copy of original drawings scanner (from similar topic in DCS) - but knobs is not show, neither all measures readable.

In any case, Saitak Quadrant limit use realistic measures, so use what find more comfortable, using Saitek as base you achieve a "look alike" P-51 throttle, not a semi-replica.

P-51 throttle.zip

Edited by Sokol1
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sokol1 said:

Nice design, I suggest invert mixture and propeller pitch knobs, since mixture is less used, if divide axis in bands can use only the lower part ~1/3, since P-51 mixture adjustment is in fixed positions.

Based in some measures in this drawings (the guy sell 1:1 copy of this plans) mixture and pitch knobs is around 1-3/16 ~ 30mm OD.

https://i.imgur.com/r94GtNm.png

https://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=60751&start=45

Attached some copy of original drawings scanner (from similar topic in DCS) - but knobs is not show, neither all measures readable.

In any case, Saitak Quadrant limit use realistic measures, so use what find more comfortable, using Saitek as base you achieve a "look alike" P-51 throttle, not a semi-replica.

P-51 throttle.zip 1.13 MB · 1 download

Thanks, very helpful!

Have you ever encountered 109 blueprints? I'd love to space my sim pit to the same dimensions/heights/etc.

Are blue print copies for sales in eBay.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/bf109-canopy-for-avidflyer.40567/

But expensive if you dont plane make a replica.

For game purpose, can use the measures (imperial) of canopy show in link bellow , and extrapolate using for example Sketchup  and the previews like in the link above, what give you a good reference for a game cockpit.

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/bf109-canopy-for-avidflyer.40567/

Bf 109 cockpit is cramped and little ergonomic - see the awkward throttle angle, pilot sit almost like in F-1 car, with little height between pedals and seat.

• Thanks 1

This is becoming it's own entity. Complete throttle module consisting of many quality anodized aluminum parts. I will share more in the near future, but I will say that there is a functional prototype currently being tested which includes a full enclosure.

Alum.jpg

51Lever.jpeg

Edited by -332FG-Strat
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

no more project bro ... i had the idea ... there was a guy working it but not no more....but if you come up with something let meknow!!!

Hi

Did the P-51 throttle designs ever get published on Thingiverse for printing?

If not is there an alternative available.

I still have some parts leftover from the batch I built.

Sure..Mix of aluminium,steel and some 3D printed parts.All mechanical like the original.

42999601_2123193911036536_8108789360247177216_n.jpg

44793759_10215629870853735_5055395503479455744_n.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Sure..Ill go through my box of parts and see what I need to make up..

Got about a 3rd of the parts spare.Give me a couple of weeks to make up the rest ;)

Start of the fabrication..Will layout the parts tomorrow that I have for another pic.

IMG_4046a.jpg

Yes I use some thick hardwood to form the curved folds..The straight folds I have a small 3 in 1 sheetmetal folder.Hammerforming is easy once you've tried it.
Hammerforming basics

• Upvote 1

How many sets will you have available? Any pics of one completed with the sensors and electronics you used?

Im currently building 3 at the moment for some guys here but can easily add more..
No electronics,all mechanical like the original.Someone used a Saitex as an intermediate linkage in the P51 Mustang Sim Builders on Facebook.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2686912908050967&set=p.2686912908050967&type=3&theater