II./JG77_motoadve

How is DCS WWII?

1 minute ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Is discounted right now.

Worth it?

I hear the DM and AI are horrible and online no too active.

At a discount, I think it is a real proposition if you care more deeply about the aircraft. You get the procedures in the cockpit. They look nice as well. They are on a level somewhere near decent payware for P3D, so you are really getting something. As for the dakkadakkadakka, I don't care much for it. Everything it has beyond BoX you don't really need for that. On the other hand, it becomes apparent how much it is short of BoX for being a good CFS game.

I have all WW2 modules, and I like them to go through the hoops for procedures etc. and I think for that the discount price is really fair.

DCS simulates cockpits. IL-2 GB simulates combat. Take your pick...

• Upvote 3

Unless you have a pretty decent computer it's not worth it. The performance on Normandy is horrendous. Instead of producing a new FW190, mosquito etc they need to take a look at the map.

The DM is, like everything else in DCS, "being worked" on. Only God himself knows when that will be complete. ED don't know, they don't. That's a fact. 

Online is a crap shoot. Because they have two clients in open use, Beta and release, the online community is split between the two.

All in all it's a mess. Is it worth it? Even on sale no it's not worth it.

• Upvote 1

DCS has good graphics and flight models and clickable cockpits and if you want to start your aircraft using every switch, button & lever needed in the original then it is great.   What it lacks is MP playability.   The basic problem with DCS is that it caters for people who want to fly classic aircraft  in an  airshow environment.  This means they will build whatever aircraft are 'cool' and thus easy to sell but with no thought for historical matchups.    This means that the 1942 Spitfire has no opponent from the same timeframe. The 1944 P51D is reasonably matched with the  Fw190D but outclassed by the 1945 Bf109K that really didn't see much action before Germany surrendered.    Your chances of seeing anything less glamorous like a Hurricane or a bomber are practically nil despite the initial promises including B17s & Typhoons amongst others.    It is also has terrible visibility problems which makes combat very difficult and although some people have managed to put together some 'fun' co-ops they are limited and the online multiplayer combat scenarios are very unsatisfactory.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Is discounted right now.

Worth it?

I hear the DM and AI are horrible and online no too active.

And it should stay discounted for the many unresolved problems, constipated progress and broken promises.........

I enjoy it for what it is and use it mainly as a study sim, learning aircraft and procedural stuff.

For some great combat action/campaign and career flying IL-2.

3 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

Unless you have a pretty decent computer it's not worth it. The performance on Normandy is horrendous. Instead of producing a new FW190, mosquito etc they need to take a look at the map.

Hmmm, the worrisome part is that the normandy map was done by Yugra media, the third party that did the Po-2 and some Moskow and Kuban assets.

4 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

DCS simulates cockpits. IL-2 GB simulates combat. Take your pick...

In all honesty, is DCS worth it if you intend to use the auto-start procedure? (Win+Home or something like that)

37 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

In all honesty, is DCS worth it if you intend to use the auto-start procedure? (Win+Home or something like that)

• Not for WW2, in my opinion. There are too many issues, as has already been pointed out by others. For fast jets and helicopters, there really isn't any competition,  whether you are into switch-twiddling or not. I shall probably buy the Gazelle in the sale, but I doubt I'll memorise the startup procedure.

5 hours ago, AndyJWest said:

DCS simulates cockpits. IL-2 GB simulates combat.

Utter rubbish. 

I've been flying both Il-2 and DCS for 4+ years now and I have as much air to air combat in first one as in latter one. Wouldnt say Il-2 is in any way superior in that combat aspect, save for damage models - which recently here were (are) going through uphills and downhills. 

5 hours ago, Rolling_Thunder said:

Unless you have a pretty decent computer it's not worth it. The performance on Normandy is horrendous.

Mind if I ask when was the last time you've tried Normandy ? It saw a major update in June 2018 which improved performance for me by 20-30 FPS in some cases. I can now run Normandy with 80 - 100 FPS in the air with high settings at 3440x1440p, only a bit less, than I get with Il-2. 

3 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Glad I asked, thanks guys.

I will not bother.

In my humble opinion 30 $ for a map and assets bundle is ok, map is fairly detailed and while it looks sometimes oversaturated, its very pleasent to fly over. Assets are frequently expanded with addition of some objects and vehicles, most recently they've shown Centaur IV. As for the aircraft, well, they all cost the same on a discount - 25 $. Personally Id go with P-51, but if you fancy Luftwaffe birds you can try D-9. 

=362nd_FS=Hiromachi

Simulating WW2 air combat realistically, as far as I'm concerned, involves more than fighter aircraft gathered seemingly at random for non-historical jousts over a bland battlefield. 

As for how long you've been flying DCS or IL-2, is that supposed to somehow impress anyone? Because if you think it does, I've got bad news for you...

5 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

Simulating WW2 air combat realistically, as far as I'm concerned, involves more than fighter aircraft gathered seemingly at random for non-historical jousts over a bland battlefield. 

That reminds me of something ... oh wait, BoBP currently ? Bunch of fighter aircraft gathered seemingly at random for non-historical jousts over a bland russian steppe. And not even a flyable Mosquito in sight ... 

7 minutes ago, AndyJWest said:

As for how long you've been flying DCS or IL-2, is that supposed to somehow impress anyone? Because if you think it does, I've got bad news for you...

No, its just my experience so that I have something to say about comparing the two over extensive period. It's not supposed to impress anyone, especially you. 

I dont feel he was trying to impress anyone,he  was just being helpful.

Why does every thread in this community ends up in a stupid argument?, that really sucks!

7 hours ago, =362nd_FS=Hiromachi said:

That reminds me of something ... oh wait, BoBP currently ? Bunch of fighter aircraft gathered seemingly at random for non-historical jousts over a bland russian steppe.

Seriously? BoBP, which will have detailed map of the area around Operation Bodenplatte and aircraft that were most numerous during that mentioned operation, reminds you of the WWII DCS state, which has four WWII fighters from different historical years, one of which never flew over Normandy? "Currently" BoBP is in early access, which is well known, but there is no reason to doubt that the promised map with matching aircraft will be released during this year.

• Like 1

@II./JG77_motoadve I don‘t know if you have installed DCS at all, but the TP-51 is included for free and it is a good representation of the rest of the WW2 modules.

If you are fine with the matchup of the planes present, it can be fun, you can put B-17 in missions. You don‘t have that in BoX. Also shoud you care for plowing mud, it works fine. There is just not much of a game there yet besides the campaigns.

1 hour ago, II./JG77_Kemp said:

Seriously? BoBP, which will have detailed map of the area around Operation Bodenplatte and aircraft that were most numerous during that mentioned operation, reminds you of the WWII DCS state, which has four WWII fighters from different historical years, one of which never flew over Normandy? "Currently" BoBP is in early access, which is well known, but there is no reason to doubt that the promised map with matching aircraft will be released during this year.

There was that little "currently". And yes, it does. You have / will have pretty much the same fighters, just a bit different variants (P-47 D-28 vs D-38, P-51 D-25 vs D-15, 109 K-4 with 1.8 Ata vs 1.98 Ata, Spitfire IX vs Spitfire IX). DCS will also have another map. No, two new ww2 maps according to ED. Of course there's no telling when, but thats not far from "BoBp will have". 

And please dont tell me how this coherent map and aircraft stuff is so important since most people dont give a damn whether they fly on KoTA or WoL over Stalingrad with La-5FN or K-4 over Kuban. 

Sidenote: I'm not trying to slam the Il-2. If I didnt like it, Id not be investing in it over the years. I just dont see how BoBp is considered "combat sim" and DCS is not. Where is the hardline ? What makes one and other not. For me both give you all the combat experience average flight sim pilot looks for, especially since few sim pilots care about realistic flying, implementing ww2 tactics, formation flying and communication. 

For WW2 DCS isnt really worth it unless you just want to learn the aircraft. I enjoy them but when it comes to having an actual immersive experience and good multiplayer Il2 is much better.

Plus DCS is very poorly optimized and barely loads for me for the most part.

i really hope the cfs community doesnt split much more to keep the online numbers high

Hi,

Use the DCS topic already open to discuss anything to do with it (yeah I know it’s called DCS news but it is what it is)

Haash