il2crashesnfails

how to land off-field

9 times out of 10 when I land off-field the plane pitches violently forward and the prop gets destroyed. Any tips to increase proficiency?

below is an ok landing but it was very close to pitching over.

• Like 1

If you're going to do an off - field landing then it's normally safer (strangely) to land wheels - up. Get the speed down as low as possible as you come to ground - level and then pitch yer nose up and keep the stick right in yer stomach until you grind to a noisy stop. I know it's a challenge but it really makes no difference wether you're wheels up OR down with a forced landing. It's not as if someone's going to come out and fix you up is it? It just means a long virtual walk home!! :rolleyes:

If you consider that youre landing on either soft and loose argucultural ploughed earth or rough plains (both of which will cause the UC to dig in at the very least) then the outcome is (or should be) kinda what your experiencing surely? 

3 hours ago, SCG_BOO said:

If you consider that youre landing on either soft and loose argucultural ploughed earth or rough plains (both of which will cause the UC to dig in at the very least) then the outcome is (or should be) kinda what your experiencing surely? 

Exactly.    Unless you are landing on a road then just land wheels up.

1 minute ago, il2crashesnfails said:

Some of the fields look nice and level and smooth why not try land wheels down.

Because.....

14 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

9 times out of 10 when I land off-field the plane pitches violently forward and the prop gets destroyed.

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

Because.....

I guess wheels up it is

Edited by il2crashesnfails

3 minutes ago, il2crashesnfails said:

Whats the story there? did gear get jammed?

A squadmate using VR and Voice Attack.   He thinks he's coming into land with his wheels down......:biggrin: 

40 minutes ago, DD_Arthur said:

A squadmate using VR and Voice Attack.   He thinks he's coming into land with his wheels down......:biggrin: 

🤣

I remember in the battle of Britain movie a spitfire was doing the same and a guy came out and fired a flare gun

8 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

Some of the fields look nice and level and smooth why not try land wheels down.

Some Lions look really friendly from a distance too....you kinda only see the teeth what you get really really close.

The main thing to take from tihs is that your are actually doing really well in the face of well organised and widespread Soviet argicultural practices.....

....that and keep yer wheels up

7 hours ago, il2crashesnfails said:

🤣

I remember in the battle of Britain movie a spitfire was doing the same and a guy came out and fired a flare gun

A major rule of online play is that EVERY urgent communication must NOT be acted upon before a protracted line of questoning along the lines of "are you sure" or "do you mean me?" is undertaken. During this time it is imperative that you do not react but instead continue doing exactly what you are doing in the certain, albeit breif, belief that they dont mean you or they are mistaken. A flare is much more likely to result in an "ooooooo....purdy firework" than any meaningful avoiding action 🙂

Edited by SCG_BOO

On 2/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, DD_Arthur said:

:cool:

I did the same in an online sorty on a p39, worst part is that I heard the "horn" of low throttle with gear up, didn't play attention anyway.

I might post a video later.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, =FEW=fernando11 said:

I did the same in an online sorty on a p39, worst part is that I heard the "horn" of low throttle with gear up, didn't play attention anyway.

I might post a video later.

That would be good if you post. I dont have the p39 and have not heard the horn warning that you get

You can hear the siren go off at 0:26 on the video, its suposed to remind you of lowering the landing gear if you go idle on the throttle... 
Nevermind!

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I've just made these right now! I say that is quite possible to land with migs despite their very big noses because it's the 3rd time I make it through.

I usually look for roads that are less bumpy but they have trees.... Anyway is easy to land in any lake and frozen river: Remember that if you are lying in winter

20190211230013_1.thumb.jpg.314f9fbdc3fd398861fa30c3ed40e545.jpg

20190211230047_1.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, =FEW=fernando11 said:

You can hear the siren go off at 0:26 on the video, its suposed to remind you of lowering the landing gear if you go idle on the throttle... 
Nevermind!

thanks you can hear it for sure