Jump to content
Han

Developer Diary 215 - Discussion

Recommended Posts

Jeez the nick picking starts early. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Not 100% sure about the front plates but I know they used armored plates on the sides and turret.

 

Sure, but when was that photo taken?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Tyberan said:

Jeez the nick picking starts early. 

Nit picking? Was just a simple question.

19 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

 

Sure, but when was that photo taken?

Not sure but will try to find out more info. Doesn't change the fact that it can always be an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A massive thank you to all those heroes of socialist labour back there in Mother Russia for their talent and dedication!

Our very own team of Alexey Stakhanov dedicated to the making of a true work of art!

And a big thanks to Jason for his management, I want you guys to succeed and go far! I already can't wait to see the Pacific front^^

Thanks for your global contribution to our virtual war effort! It is as vital to me as coal was to the actual war effort.

Stakhanov.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The extra plates would be cool to have. That being said they were only 25/38mm thick so they don't really increase the armor protection that much. Also ironically the side armor ones are just behind the ammo storage zones, so they really work as bullseyes for the enemy gunners in order to achieve an ammunition explosion 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simply Amazing. TC is coming along nicely. I can't wait to see the actual tank crews in action. I am really glad I EAed TC. I am also very intrigued to try the TC Career.

Get some sleep guys, keep your health good. Remember, you are in this for the long haul. If you keep producing products like this you might be at this a long long time.

Please keep working on the AI for us SPs.:good:

 

S!Blade<><

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks for the diaries, tanks are great)

Dear @Jason_Williams
, could you answer a few questions?
1) I bought Tank crew few days ago and they are beautiful! Are there any plans for tanks from "Tank crew" for more modification, not only shells types?
- additional tracks on the sides or tower for tanks, where it could be used
- removable armor plates on the sides
- additional radio station
- it is possible on some tanks, anti-aircraft gun, etc.
- camouflage elements (branches, bushes on the sides and the tower)
 
2) Is it possible to revive the already released aircraft. Is it possible to add modification to already produced aircraft?
For example:
a) Bf-110G-2 
- MK 108 and Wbr 21 rockets for Bodenplatte
b) U-2VS
- transport containers for transport missions
- removable co-pilot to sage weight and visibility
c) Ju-52/3m
- MG131, additional MGs on board
c) He-111H-6
- Loading of cargo for Stalingrad
- Mines (BM 1000) and torpedoes for action at sea
d) Ju-87 / Ju88 / A-20B / Il-2 ...
The gameplay would play with new colors..
 
3) Would you plan your next theater based on those 3 criteria which are the most important?
a-Major battle (ex: Kursk, Overlord, Bodenplatte)
b-Balanced and Iconic plane set
c-Close distance between airfield

The game missed many iconic planes that are missing in the BoM, BoS and BoK...Hurricane, Bf-110F, DB-3/IL-4, Ju-87B/R, I-153.
Do you plan to release those planes on a new theater?
 
Edited by 1/SG2_Hummels
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

When you look closely to the Pz.Kpf. III you can see him both, with and without "Panzerschürzen" . I think they stated it also in a Developer Diary. I am pretty sure we will see more usefull modificaitons :)

2 hours ago, 1/SG2_Hummels said:


Dear Jason, could you answer a few questions?
1) I bought Tank crew few days ago and the are beautiful! Are there any plans for tanks from "Tank crew" for more modification, not only shells types?
- additional tracks on the sides or tower for tanks, where it could be used
- removable armor plates on the sides
- additional radio station
- it is possible on some tanks, anti-aircraft gun, etc.
- camouflage elements (branches, bushes on the sides and the tower)
 
Edited by [KGv53]Big_Al_the_Allo
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I am not so much interested in tanks but a good reason to purchase the module is for the map.

The mapsize is smaller than we are used to but a perfect match for the slow flying Po-2. Some sightseeing and watching the scenery, landing on dusty roads near villages and hearing the dogs barking and then taking off again .

Since it can carry rockets it is time to scare the hell out of the tank crew.

The same counts for the slow flying Hs-129.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That Sherman, That Sherman, OMG its awesome!, i cant wait to get him, this would be my favorite tank on the russian side. And i think this model looks very similar to M4A2 in Graviteam Tactics: Final Ofensive. Take look at that. 

gtmf-20190109-67140-002.jpg


About the armor plates in the sides, this A2 is the early version. 

Interesting, we will have fenders on the tracks in modifications? or another tracks types? removable Browning M2HB etc? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Found this interview with Dmitry Fedorovich Loza and his experiences on the M4A2:

 

https://iremember.ru/en/memoirs/tankers/dmitriy-loza/?q=%2Ftankers%2F17-dmitriy-loza.html&start=1

 

Q: What were the chances of survival if your tank was hit?

A: In general, one or two men were always wounded or killed. It depended where the shell struck.

 

 

Edited by Uufflakke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice update!

 

Wunderbar!

 

Great job and thank you for your hard work.

Edited by Yankee_One

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bajzon20 said:

That Sherman, That Sherman, OMG its awesome!, i cant wait to get him, this would be my favorite tank on the russian side. And i think this model looks very similar to M4A2 in Graviteam Tactics: Final Ofensive. Take look at that. 

gtmf-20190109-67140-002.jpg


About the armor plates in the sides, this A2 is the early version. 

Interesting, we will have fenders on the tracks in modifications? or another tracks types? removable Browning M2HB etc? 

 

Armored plating was used on the early versions as well.

 

1 hour ago, Uufflakke said:

 

Found this interview with Dmitry Fedorovich Loza and his experiences on the M4A2:

 

https://iremember.ru/en/memoirs/tankers/dmitriy-loza/?q=%2Ftankers%2F17-dmitriy-loza.html&start=1

 

Q: What were the chances of survival if your tank was hit?

A: In general, one or two men were always wounded or killed. It depended where the shell struck.

 

 

 

Very worthwhile read.

German reports estimated that when angled properly the Sherman front plate was immune to hits from the 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56. I wonder how true this was in reality or if it was even true at all.

 

I know when angled enough you can basically deflect anything even with very thin armor, T-34 proves this.

Edited by Legioneod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Han said:

The majority of the changes are in the GUI and are required for the new Marschal multiplayer mode that is coming this Spring and will concentrate on the interaction with the map.

 

Are there plans to allow us to share recce photos etc from the map room to help with the Marshall mode?    Many of my squadmates find that they are unable to Alt-Tab out of IL2 to look at recon photos on websites that show them such as Finnish or pictures we have made ourselves and put up on our own website or uploaded to Teamspeak.   Obviously the game does not know who is flying to the target with you but if there was a tab that listed maybe 20 folders that photos can be uploaded to then someone can upload the photos and say 'OK I have uploaded the recon photos to folder 16. Take a look to see what you need to hit.'     Perhaps reset/empty each folder 30 minutes after being used and mark the folders that are empty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

 

Armored plating was used on the early versions as well.

 

 

Very worthwhile read.

German reports estimated that when angled properly the Sherman front plate was immune to hits from the 8.8 cm KwK 36 L/56. I wonder how true this was in reality or if it was even true at all.

 

I know when angled enough you can basically deflect anything even with very thin armor, T-34 proves this.

 

However, in my opinion, Sherman was a better tank than the T-34, which is evident in the Russians themselves, he was quieter in motion, because his tracks were less noisy, the conditions inside the tank were much more comfortable. Optics also better than in T-34. From the mechanical side of Sherman was also better, it was a very reliable tank that allowed for a long operation on practically the same components which was important during long operations. Maneuverability, speed, power to weight ratio were also very good, even the suspension was good, easy to build, durable and damped vibrations better. It was also not a tall tank, the panther was much taller and larger than it, just because the M4 was narrower, optically seemed to be tall. The disadvantage was certainly the narrow tracks which in difficult terrain was disastrous, and the rubber tracks slid on snow and ice which was quickly solved using metal varieties. The last disadvantage was the engine, which required very clean fuel, it did not like contaminated oil and low quality (The diesel of A2 version)
M4A2_75mm_Russia_5.jpg
So, i would prefer M4A2 on the russian side.

Edited by Bajzon20
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, pilotpierre said:

As much as I would like to get the tanks I am a bit concerned that I only have 20Gb left on my SSD. Would like to know how much Bodeplate, FC and the tanks are likely to chew up.

 

I have Bodenplate and FC ordered but am reluctant to sign up for tanks fore the aforesaid reason.

 

Just move other less relevant stuff out of the disk. BTW, you can make Windows believe a specific folder is still in C:\<somewhere> while you have moved it all to some other more convenient drive (say, a hard disk insted of an SSD). It's nice to do that with the tracks folder, for instance.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Bajzon20 said:

 

However, in my opinion, Sherman was a better tank than the T-34, which is evident in the Russians themselves, he was quieter in motion, because his tracks were less noisy, the conditions inside the tank were much more comfortable. Optics also better than in T-34. From the mechanical side of Sherman was also better, it was a very reliable tank that allowed for a long operation on practically the same components which was important during long operations. Maneuverability, speed, power to weight ratio were also very good, even the suspension was good, easy to build, durable and damped vibrations better. It was also not a tall tank, the panther was much taller and larger than it, just because the M4 was narrower, optically seemed to be tall. The disadvantage was certainly the narrow tracks which in difficult terrain was disastrous, and the rubber tracks slid on snow and ice which was quickly solved using metal varieties. The last disadvantage was the engine, which required very clean fuel, it did not like contaminated oil and low quality (The diesel of A2 version)
M4A2_75mm_Russia_5.jpg
So, i would prefer M4A2 on the russian side.

Same. Sherman is one of my favorite tanks of the war and I plan on using it alot once I get Tank Crew. The only thing that will cause me to leave the Sherman is the Ferdinand.

There's alot of myths surrounding the Sherman that make it seem like it was bad tank but that couldn't be further from the truth.

Edited by Legioneod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan said:

You guys f**king rock!!!! The best :)

 

I just was wondering if it would be feasible to have skins with battle style stuff such as sandbags, pieces of track, tools, etc

 

42510e2c09c6473b049ba97a46657ece.jpg

 

I've been thinking about it and maybe the skin is not a good idea. Maybe it should be an upgrade called SOFT ARMOR and the tanks can add extra protection.... adding some points to the armor value.

This way it would be an extra both ways, visually adding realism and effective increasing the protection value.

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uufflakke said:

The same counts for the slow flying Hs-129.

 

58183cb3ad8d4.jpg

 

Anyways, looking forward to seeing more tanks in the game. Will be fun to have a bigger selection of vehicles available

Edited by Asgar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great! Can't wait to see some crew inside these beasts. Really going to set it apart from every other sim. Great job.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sherman actually had quite high crew survivability compared to just about every other tank of the war.  The crew ergonomics were excellent, so they had an easier time fighting the tank, and had very good hatch placement, which allowed the crews to "bail" much faster than ANY other tank of the period.  As was stated earlier it's frontal armor was not the paper thin tin foil that post war hand wringers have made it out to be.  Because of it's slope angle and thickness it was about on par with the frontal armor of a Tiger 1, especially if properly angled.  the M4 never had any trouble fighting Panzer IIIs or IVs, which were by far the most numerous types it faced.  Remember the Tiger and Panther were relatively rare things on the battlefield because  of their low numbers in service, and their unreliable and high maintenance nature.  The Sherman was a paragon of reliability and serviceability, and was, again in comparison, far far easier to maintain in the field, and simply required less fettling overall.

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sherman modelled in game should have horrendous gunsights, probably some of the worst fitted along with the early British gun tele/periscopes.
It would have either the Telescope M32 mounted in M3 Periscope with 1x magnification and 11 degrees field of view or M38 telescope mounted in M4 periscope with 1.44 - 1.5x magnification (sources vary) and 9 degree field of view.
 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge Thanks once again! I have no idea how you guys push this stuff out so fast and have it be so polished at the same time. You sure are a talented bunch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J2_Bidu, -IRRE-, sevenless and chopper

 

Thanks for the responses guys, I had not pinged to the fact that all the content was already on the disc. Ergo as soon as I get back from the Gym I shall purchase der tankenthingsthatgoboobboom.

 

I don’t envisage using it much but feel duty bound to pay for some of the untold hours of pleasure this series has given me since its release.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming along nicely guys, the add on armour and Sherman look just the job.;)

 

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

The Sherman actually had quite high crew survivability compared to just about every other tank of the war.  The crew ergonomics were excellent, so they had an easier time fighting the tank, and had very good hatch placement, which allowed the crews to "bail" much faster than ANY other tank of the period.  As was stated earlier it's frontal armor was not the paper thin tin foil that post war hand wringers have made it out to be.  Because of it's slope angle and thickness it was about on par with the frontal armor of a Tiger 1, especially if properly angled.  the M4 never had any trouble fighting Panzer IIIs or IVs, which were by far the most numerous types it faced.  Remember the Tiger and Panther were relatively rare things on the battlefield because  of their low numbers in service, and their unreliable and high maintenance nature.  The Sherman was a paragon of reliability and serviceability, and was, again in comparison, far far easier to maintain in the field, and simply required less fettling overall.

 

I remember reading some analysis that from Normandy to the fall of Germany the US Army encountered something like 3 individual Tiger tanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

I remember reading some analysis that from Normandy to the fall of Germany the US Army encountered something like 3 individual Tiger tanks

 

3? You mean 42 of the 45 tanks of the 501st Heavy Panzer battalion guys are still wandering about?

 

Also, right out of Wikipedia... «The Tiger II was also used in significant numbers, distributed into four heavy panzer battalions, during the Ardennes Offensive (also known as the Battle of the Bulge) of December 1944. At least 150 Tiger IIs were present, nearly a third of total production, and most were lost during the course of the offensive.»

 

(sorry had to edit out the posted video because there were evident nazi symbols in it)

Edited by J2_Bidu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:30 PM, pilotpierre said:

As much as I would like to get the tanks I am a bit concerned that I only have 20Gb left on my SSD. Would like to know how much Bodeplate, FC and the tanks are likely to chew up.

 

I have Bodenplate and FC ordered but am reluctant to sign up for tanks fore the aforesaid reason.

 

Salutations,

 

Add another SSD just for IL-2. Problem solved. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, =621=Samikatz said:

 

I remember reading some analysis that from Normandy to the fall of Germany the US Army encountered something like 3 individual Tiger tanks

That's because the British had the luck of facing nearly every Tiger tank the Germans threw on the Western front, the only major exception being the Battle of the Bulge.

Edited by =362nd_FS=RoflSeal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, =362nd_FS=RoflSeal said:

That's because the British had the luck of facing nearly every Tiger tank the Germans threw on the Western front, the only major exception being the Battle of the Bulge.

This. Brits fought Tigers much more than Americans. I think Americans ran into Tigers a grand total of 4-5 times, 3 or so encounters with Shermans and one with Pershing's. Shermans won all three times yet interestingly enough the Pershing's lost. I'll have to find more info about it.

 

One interesting myth is that you needed 5 Shermans to take out one Tiger when in reality it was thought you really only needed a 2 to 1 advantage, more is better of course and you could do it with only one to one.

 

The Sherman wasn't the most heavily armed or armored by any means but it was one of the greatest tanks of the war imo. It's a shame the Sherman has so many negative stories surrounding it, most of them false.

Edited by Legioneod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Legioneod said:

One interesting myth is that you needed 5 Shermans to take out one Tiger when in reality it was thought you really only needed a 2 to 1 advantage, more is better of course and you could do it with only one to one.

 

The problems the americans had with them were mostly due to negative waves.

 

 

  • Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, J2_Bidu said:

Also, right out of Wikipedia... «The Tiger II was also used in significant numbers, distributed into four heavy panzer battalions, during the Ardennes Offensive (also known as the Battle of the Bulge) of December 1944. At least 150 Tiger IIs were present, nearly a third of total production, and most were lost during the course of the offensive.»

 

There were only 2 Abteilungen involved at BoB (Bulge)

 

1. 501 heavy SS Tank Btl. involved in the northern shoulder with Kampfgruppe Peiper and a full complement of 45 Tiger II tanks

2. 506 heavy Tank Btl. with 41 tanks

 

150 Tiger tanks is Wikipedia fantasy.

 

Sources: "Tigers in Combat I+II" by Wolfgang Schneider.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 4:20 AM, Legioneod said:

Same. Sherman is one of my favorite tanks of the war and I plan on using it alot once I get Tank Crew. The only thing that will cause me to leave the Sherman is the Ferdinand.

There's alot of myths surrounding the Sherman that make it seem like it was bad tank but that couldn't be further from the truth.

 

There are a lot of myths about the Sherman correct. However, it did earn a lot of it's negative reputation as well.

 

The two Canadian regiments were attacked by the 12th SS, who were equipped with 88 mm flak guns and Tiger tanks, among other heavy weapons. Lieutenant-Colonel Worthington was killed during the battle, and the survivors of the regiment managed to break contact with the 12th SS, after suffering 133 casualties and losing 48 out of 52 tanks.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_British_Columbia_Regiment_(Duke_of_Connaught's_Own)#The_Second_World_War

 

My regiment got pasted in Shermans. Great tank sure but it had it's well known flaws which I feel people are trying to play down.

 

It's still my favorite tank though.

1 hour ago, J2_Bidu said:

 

The problems the americans had with them were mostly due to negative waves.

 

 

 

 

LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!!

 

The opening scene is great.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It had flaws sure but some of these were fixed later on, (wet ammo storage for example). Statistically the Sherman was the safest tank of the war at least for Americans. The survival rate of American tankers were higher than British tankers, not 100% sure why this is but I've read it had to do with lack of helmets among other things.

 

Was doing some reading and found this guy:

Sgt. Lafayette G. Pool. American tank Ace.

Credited with 12 tanks destroyed, 258 SPG/AV destroyed in a span of 81 days. Funnily enough his nickname was War Daddy and it is said he was inspiration for the main character in the movie Fury.

220px-Lafayette_G._Pool,_1949.jpg

Edited by Legioneod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 7./JG26_Smokejumper said:

The two Canadian regiments were attacked by the 12th SS, who were equipped with 88 mm flak guns and Tiger tanks, among other heavy weapons. Lieutenant-Colonel Worthington was killed during the battle, and the survivors of the regiment managed to break contact with the 12th SS, after suffering 133 casualties and losing 48 out of 52 tanks.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_British_Columbia_Regiment_(Duke_of_Connaught's_Own)#The_Second_World_War

Have anyplace I can see a tactical map of the area that fight happened in? Because I doubt there is really any tank of the war that would have come out of a situation like that well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was bad all over. Lost at night, enemy up high. There are plenty of stories of Shermans getting pinked with much less of a disadvantage. It was a good tank. Front glacis slope was great. I still suspect another tank may have had a few more get out of the valley.

 

If you keep mobile and out of a slug match she will do alright. If she get's pinned and forced into a slug match it didn't do as well as others.

 

Still my favorite tank.

Edited by 7./JG26_Smokejumper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, thenorm said:

Have anyplace I can see a tactical map of the area that fight happened in? Because I doubt there is really any tank of the war that would have come out of a situation like that well. 

 

You are correct. It has nothing to do with the sherman tank. Every other tank would have suffered badly as well. A very good description what happened can be found here:

 

http://canadianmilitaryhistory.ca/worthington-force-from-the-air-by-michael-bechthold/

 

and in Mike Bechtholds paper here:

 

http://canadianmilitaryhistory.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Bechthold-Worthington-Force.pdf

Edited by sevenless

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...