Alfaunostebas11

Planes don't want to attack

In this simple mission a pair of IL-2 is activated when the player Ju-87 enter in the 5000 m radius.

Then the Sturmoviks must go to the WP1 and from here attack area of airfield, hittings some german trucks.

But they fly around, go to next WP, skipping the attack area command...

Where is my mistake ?

Test the attached mission, please flying for few second in the player's cockpit...

Tutorial Stebas.rar

Edited by Alfaunostebas11

You have the waypoints linked. It doesn't know what to do - attack or WP2? You need to cut the link between WP1 and WP2, and give it a condition. For instance, your attack command is 3 minutes, set a times off WP1 to 3 minutes, 2 seconds and link it to WP2 to activate it after the attack. My preference is to not have them hang around after they drop their bombs, by setting the attack command to 999 minutes (indefinite), and set your ON BINGO BOMBS to a  FORCE COMPLETE back to the leader plane, and a two second timer, then link the timer to WP2. Delete your ONBINGOBOMBS link to WP2.

Annotation_2019-02-08_201350.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Thank you Schneemann for your suggestions !

I'll try to find the best solution.

But how complicated it is to make a simple attack ...!

I'm sorry ... I tried to do what Schneemann wrote, but the result is almost identical. The only difference is that this time the two IL-2 do not go to WP-2, but they fly over the attack area indefinitely without attacking ....

The IL-2 leader has now 2 onBingoBomb (purple link) one to Command Force and one to Timer 2 sec..

The time attack is set to 999.

I have also set the correct radius of attack area (it was too short).

I attach the screenshot and the mission file...

Thank for help...

549817355_Screenshotattackarea.thumb.jpg.44299ca1656fcec7813796beda919c9b.jpgT

Tutorial Attack Area.rar

I checked your mission, and was able to make it work with some changes.

In your mission you have two IL2. The leader has only rockets, and the wingman has bombs. 

The Attack area has three ground objects (vehicles). You want the attack to last until all vehicles are destroyed or no more ammunition left or after a certain attack time.

Attack area can be parametered as Ground or Ground Objects. You ticked both.

Ground: Excellent for area bombing, carpet bombing. 

Ground Objects: When you want enemy ground objects in the area to be attacked, with bombs, rockets and machine-guns. 

In your case better tick only Ground Objects.

Your IL2 flight leader has rockets and no bombs. Once he has fired all his rockets he is Bingo Bombs and the mission is Forced Complete. Because he fires all rockets in his first pass generally missing the trucks (depends if he is an Ace or not) the mission is immediately Force Complete and the wingman even doesn't bother to drop his bombs. If you want the IL2 to repeatedly attack with whatever they have, rockets bombs and machine-guns then I would do it differently.

I have put a trigger counter that will be incremented every time the truck is destroyed. For that you must define the damage threshold for each truck to 60% or more, to avoid double counting for the same truck. Then you send an event message to the counter when OnDamaged. When the counter is at three it means the three trucks are gone or badly damaged. The IL2 will repeatedly attack until the three trucks are dead. 

You can add other limitations, like all ammunition. To do that you neeed to have OnBingoBombs but also OnBingoMainMG. To do that you can use a counter, and when both have fired means a count of two you do a Force Complete. 

Finally you can have an attack time limit to stop the attack.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Hi Atlas !

Youu made a very accurated analysis of the mission giving me interesting suggestions.

As soon as possible I'll go to modify and test again the mission.

Thaink you.

Ps. But the problem is that the attacking ILs don't   fire any rocket  or bomb....

2 hours ago, Alfaunostebas11 said:

Hi Atlas !

Youu made a very accurated analysis of the mission giving me interesting suggestions.

As soon as possible I'll go to modify and test again the mission.

Thaink you.

Ps. But the problem is that the attacking ILs don't   fire any rocket  or bomb....

When I played the modified version of your mission it did work perfectly. For the Attack Area do not put a too high altitude. 300 mt is ok.

Do not forget to cancel your two BingoBomb events links from your Il2 leader to the Buffer and to Force Complete.

You will connect to the Buffer and Force Complete from the Trigger Counter. And the trigger counter will be connected from the three trucks with OnDamage events links.

Here is the action as it happens.

The leader fired the rockets in two salvos and missed.

The wingman came just behind and let go the bombs and destroyed a truck. Then the leader made a large turn followed by the wingman came back and strafed the other two trucks. The counter counted three and the mission was Forced Complete and the two IL2 went on waypoint two. The damage threshold that I had set was 50% per truck. But as I said better put 60%, otherwise you can have a mission accomplished with three 50% damages, that is three trucks at 50% or one at 100% and one at 50% and no damage on the third truck. Up to you to define what you want to achieve. 

When I replayed the mission the sequence was exactly the same again. 

Problem not solved!
It 'very interesting (for me ...) this topic, because - despite the advice that some of you have given me, even severely testing the mission - I can not get to a correct conclusion. It's a good challenge, which must ultimately be won!
ATLAS, when you say:

On 2/10/2019 at 12:05 AM, IckyATLAS said:

Here is the action as it happens.

The leader fired the rockets in two salvos and missed.

(...)

The problem is here:

in my mission, although modified as you suggest, the ILs keep circling around the target, without firing a shot.
So everything that comes next (OnDamaged, Counter, Force complete etc.) has no relevance.
The problem is just understanding why the planes do not attack
the target assigned to them.
I re-attach the file with the latest changes.
Please, after having successfully tested the mission, attach the file that works, so that I can understand what the point of difference is.
Thanks, Stebas.

Tutorial attack area 2.rar

1 hour ago, Alfaunostebas11 said:

Problem not solved!
It 'very interesting (for me ...) this topic, because - despite the advice that some of you have given me, even severely testing the mission - I can not get to a correct conclusion. It's a good challenge, which must ultimately be won!
ATLAS, when you say:

The problem is here:

in my mission, although modified as you suggest, the ILs keep circling around the target, without firing a shot.
So everything that comes next (OnDamaged, Counter, Force complete etc.) has no relevance.
Please, after having successfully tested the mission, attach the file that works, so that I can understand what the point of difference is.
Thanks, Stebas.

Set the same altitude of IL2 (1000m) to the WP 1, because WP1 altitude is set on 600m and when you activate a plane (or mission begin) you must set both (plane and first waypoint) at same altitude. (all planes linked to the leader must be at same altitude).

Otherwise the plane will never link to the WP-1

Salute!

Problem not solved!
ATLAS, when you say:

The problem is here:

Thanks, Stebas.

Here is your mission perfectly working. They attack with rocket, bombs and strafing.

Missions.zip

This is what I did :

• I deleted the two OnBingoBomb on you IL2 Leader Plane.
  • I have put the three trucks more far away from each other so that bombs or rockets when they destroy one there is no impact on the others. In this way they have to pick them one by one and you see better. 
  • I put the Event for trucks OnKilled so that the IL2 will leave the scene only after the three trucks are completely destroyed. 
  • I have put the Attack duration to 20 minutes largely enough. You put 999, but this is maybe a dangerous number.
  • Lastly I connected WP2 (that I moved further) to the Buffer after the counter to activate it  so that the IL2 do fly away. Otherwise they will turn around the point of attack even after the attack is complete. In this way you can see that it does work well.
  • Finally I put a WP for your Stuka, otherwise it crashes and burns if you do not fly it and it will interrupt the mission.

Hope this helps

• Upvote 1

Problem not solved!
ATLAS, when you say:

The problem is here:

Thanks, Stebas.

Here's a different solution from the mission that IckyATLAS posted. Often there's more than one way to accomplish your goal.

Prova Complex trigger - JimTM Edits 4.zip

Note:

• I also moved the trucks apart since they were all being damaged on the first dive bombing pass by the wingman and triggering mission complete. I did not change the damage level.
    In your mission and in my edited mission, the leader does a wide circle and then does his first rocket pass after the wingman's pass. The delay may be why you thought the IL-2s were not attacking. The AI routines can sometimes be puzzling.
  • I replaced your OnBingoBombs logic with some counters at the top to detect OnBingoBombs and OnBingoMainMG from both planes before triggering force complete and the two-second timer that triggers WP 2.
    Note that running out of rockets also triggers OnBingoBombs. I haven't tested what happens when you have a mix of rockets and bombs on one plane. 

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, JimTM said:

Here's a different solution from the mission that IckyATLAS posted. Often there's more than one way to accomplish your goal.

Prova Complex trigger - JimTM Edits 4.zip

Note:

• I also moved the trucks apart since they were all being damaged on the first dive bombing pass by the wingman and triggering mission complete. I did not change the damage level.
    In your mission and in my edited mission, the leader does a wide circle and then does his first rocket pass after the wingman's pass. The delay may be why you thought the IL-2s were not attacking. The AI routines can sometimes be puzzling.
  • I replaced your OnBingoBombs logic with some counters at the top to detect OnBingoBombs and OnBingoMainMG from both planes before triggering force complete and the two-second timer that triggers WP 2.
    Note that running out of rockets also triggers OnBingoBombs. I haven't tested what happens when you have a mix of rockets and bombs on one plane. 

Just a small additional comment. Alfaunostebas11 is right, in his original mission version the planes did not attack because they really had terminated the attack (without attacking), and if you wait long enough they fly circles in the attack zone because WP2 is not activated. In fact they never attack. The Mission Complete message appears the moment they enter the Attack Zone (Hud must be active to see the message). 

Isn't there somewhere an OnBingoRockets?  I saw it somewhere, maybe it is in the Complex Trigger events.

Anyway thanks to Alfaunostebas11 for this interesting challenge. 🙂 It has allowed me to better understand the damage model, how the OnDamage/OnKilled works and the distance at which other objects are damaged even if you see nothing on them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Really this is being a interesting challenge. I did'nt think so when I started this topic.  I can't wait to come home and turn on my PC to see what happen...  and perhaps the surprises are not finished ! 

Thank you boys!

• Like 2

BINGOOOO !

I have tested all your solutions my dear friends. You have made a very good job.

Now I have understood my first mistakes and together we have explored several variants to obtain the same result.

The small experience of this topic makes me think once again about this:
- this Mission Editor is very complex and difficult to master (for example in relation to the FMB of IL2 46, were I have made several complex Campaigns ...) but, step by step, you perceive that it offers great space to imagination and perhaps its final limit is only the phantasy of the designer ...
And when you
realize what you had thought, then you feel great satisfaction!
Thank you friends and (naturally...) see you for the next problematic ...

Stebas.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Alfaunostebas11 said:

BINGOOOO !

I have tested all your solutions my dear friends. You have made a very good job.

Now I have understood my first mistakes and together we have explored several variants to obtain the same result.

The small experience of this topic makes me think once again about this:
- this Mission Editor is very complex and difficult to master (for example in relation to the FMB of IL2 46, were I have made several complex Campaigns ...) but, step by step, you perceive that it offers great space to imagination and perhaps its final limit is only the phantasy of the designer ...
And when you
realize what you had thought, then you feel great satisfaction!
Thank you friends and (naturally...) see you for the next problematic ...

Stebas.

Ready for new challenges ! 😄