Sign in to follow this  
WWSitttingDuck

Allied Bomb sight

Have to believe this has been asked before, but Allied Bomb sight is in metric, but Aircraft gauges are not, causing the pilot to make conversions when setting bombsight.

Is there any effort to try and get this resolved?  Or is there a setting I am not aware of.

Don't use the cockpit gauges when using Allied aircraft, use the gauges displayed in the bombsight view.

Never really noticed this but tecnicaly they would need to change that in Hooves, Unicorns per Hour and Unicorns per Second  too. Or maybe even the Bombsight builders couldn't deal with those absurde Units and just made a Metric one.

2 hours ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

Have to believe this has been asked before, but Allied Bomb sight is in metric, but Aircraft gauges are not, causing the pilot to make conversions when setting bombsight.

Is there any effort to try and get this resolved?  Or is there a setting I am not aware of.

As i understand it the A20B in game is a Russian lend lease model and ,apparently, they used the same (or similar) bombsight as the PE2 not a western one - so the metric dials are correct if this is true (and given what they did to the A20Gs to suit their own puposes i have no reason to doubt it) Pretty sure i saw that info on here on the A20's release. 

Yes, the bombsight fitted to Soviet A-20s was the same as the one installed in the Pe-2. In any case, with any bomber, you should always be using the gauges on the bombsight display. 

Ok, so I am flying in my A20, no hud, no simple guages,  and my altimeter tells me I am at 3826 ft....and my air speed is xxx mph...

I jump into my bomb sight, and go to set my altimeter,,,,,but my altimeter in the bombsite is in meters.....so I have to convert my altitude....I 

I go to set my air speed, but my airspeed in the bomb sight is in meter also....so I have to convert that....

all I am is asking is why do the allied bomber bomb sights have to be in metric....

Ignore what your cockpit gauges are saying and use only the bombsight gauges when flying any Allied aircraft. You do not have to convert anything. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

Ok, so I am flying in my A20, no hud, no simple guages,  and my altimeter tells me I am at 3826 ft....and my air speed is xxx mph...

I jump into my bomb sight, and go to set my altimeter,,,,,but my altimeter in the bombsite is in meters.....so I have to convert my altitude....I 

I go to set my air speed, but my airspeed in the bomb sight is in meter also....so I have to convert that....

all I am is asking is why do the allied bomber bomb sights have to be in metric....

Because:

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, the bombsight fitted to Soviet A-20s was the same as the one installed in the Pe-2. In any case, with any bomber, you should always be using the gauges on the bombsight display. 

And the solution is:

4 minutes ago, Leifr said:

Ignore what your cockpit gauges are saying and use only the bombsight gauges when flying any Allied aircraft. You do not have to convert anything. 

2 hours ago, LukeFF said:

In any case, with any bomber, you should always be using the gauges on the bombsight display. 

6 hours ago, Leifr said:

Don't use the cockpit gauges when using Allied aircraft, use the gauges displayed in the bombsight view.

I think the key word here is "allied". The russian A20s were set up this way. The original dials (for the most part) in the cockpit and a lovely new Russsain Bombsight for the RUSSIAN bomb aimer in the nose. Its not a USAAF or RAF aircraft as it stands. Its not meant to be and its part of an aircraft set that is Russian (regaless of the other default skins)  Its specifically a Russian specced aircraft. 

In the GUI for bombsight all the information is there, already converted from imperial into metric. No calculational required.  Read off the dials on the left and input them into the dials on the right. 

lol,,,sorry guys,,,,i was just passing off a big complaint on of my other squad members (soon to be ex-squad member) had been having...

so if we are at 3260 feet, set the dial to 326 (if i remember that dial accurately) and it will be correct.  .

2 minutes ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

lol,,,sorry guys,,,,i was just passing off a big complaint on of my other squad members (soon to be ex-squad member) had been having...

so if we are at 3260 feet, set the dial to 326 (if i remember that dial accurately) and it will be correct.  .

Dude, you are making this too hard - just use the info from the bombsight display. Not the HUD,  not the cockpit, not a smartphone app, etc. That means using metric measurements, all the time, every time. 

1 minute ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

no - use the metric readout in the bombsight. 

3 minutes ago, [KGv53]Big_Al_the_Allo said:

That is not to 100 % true. The altimeter in the bombside uses only the "normal atmosphere" (if i am right). In that case it  is a huge difference. 

but the bombs still pickle the target from 6K using just the sight. Always have. In fact theyre more accurate than current generation guided weapons in many cases. 

ahh come on luke really????   don't....i mean just don't

I have never level bombed in an allied bomber......Was just trying to help out with another squad-mates gripes that may  or may not have been warranted.....

Honestly, after the last two replies I'm convinced OP is just taking the piss.

16 minutes ago, SCG_BOO said:

but the bombs still pickle the target from 6K using just the sight. Always have. In fact theyre more accurate than current generation guided weapons in many cases. 

Another player once told me he doesn't set the wind to simulate a bit of the historical inaccuracy, but I for one could never resist to be as pin-point accurate as possible. 😁

• Upvote 1