Sign in to follow this  
ITAF_Rani

Battle of Britain making movie

I cycled over to RAF Manston when the 'Luftwaffe' flew in prior to making the parts of the film shot in England. In the early evening against the backdrop of an approaching storm two 'Heinkel 111s' and about 20 'Me109s' suddenly appeared low over the coast to the south. Like a great swarm of noisy birds they roared over the airfield before circling around and landing - a sight that I have never forgotten. They taxied across the road right in front of us but were quickly parked up and cordoned off so nobody there - apart from the press and invited guests - could get a really good close-up view, and we got soaked in the rain riding our bikes home, but it was a great experience.

Damn watermarks theres a special place in hell for those who do that crap...

• Haha 1

The amazing thing they allowed to Robert Shaw to run few meters in a spitfire....and of course he crashed!!

Edited by ITAF_Rani

On 2/7/2019 at 6:15 AM, 216th_Cat said:

I cycled over to RAF Manston when the 'Luftwaffe' flew in prior to making the parts of the film shot in England. In the early evening against the backdrop of an approaching storm two 'Heinkel 111s' and about 20 'Me109s' suddenly appeared low over the coast to the south. Like a great swarm of noisy birds they roared over the airfield before circling around and landing - a sight that I have never forgotten. They taxied across the road right in front of us but were quickly parked up and cordoned off so nobody there - apart from the press and invited guests - could get a really good close-up view, and we got soaked in the rain riding our bikes home, but it was a great experience.

Cool story, you know if Galland was there at the time?