ShamrockOneFive

An interview with Jason Williams and Daniel Tuseev, IL-2: Great Battles Series

8 hours ago, sevsterino said:

Quote from the interview:

If anyone has detailed info about American turrets like drawings, manuals, pictures etc. please send them to me. Proper references material 90% of the battle.

If anyone can relate this info to Jason .. this guy has it all, all manuals, references and hand-on experience  

@Jason_Williams

@Han

https://www.tested.com/art/makers/459038-world-war-ii-airplane-turret-restoration/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

14 hours ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Thanks for doing this interview.

Good to hear about all those planes coming.

Same here, I will buy any WWII stuff, any front, but not later 1946 planes or Korea and later stuff,they dont have the historic feel.

I disagree the F-86 /Mig -15 battles definitely have an historic feel ...as well as all these aircraft of which we have similar models in the game already Korean war aircraft

Edited by HellCat_

2 minutes ago, HellCat_ said:

I disagree the F-86 /Mig -15 battles definitely have an historic feel ...as well as all these aircraft in that theater as well Korean war aircraft

Not even close to WWII.

Personally not interested in jets , outside the Me 262.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

Not even close to WWII.

Personally not interested in jets , outside the Me 262.

To each his own .....History doesn't stop at 45' for me...

1 hour ago, HellCat_ said:

To each his own .....History doesn't stop at 45' for me...

No, but the war that this game is simulating does.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Elem said:

Who says this game is limited to that? Why should it be?

9 minutes ago, [DBS]Browning said:

Who says this game is limited to that? Why should it be?

It's for the devs to decide. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Il-2 1946 as much as anyone and would be happy to see the same done again, but it's their call as to the future of their product.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Elem said:

It's for the devs to decide. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Il-2 1946 as much as anyone and would be happy to see the same done again, but it's their call as to the future of their product.

Never said otherwise .....carry on

I am excited about the future, IMO moving to the pacific is a much more interesting direction than Korean Jets. I hope the Devs go that direction. the carrier ops and things that go with it would be great. I wonder if they have continued to pursue information to use to build this theater of war? I would pay twice the going rate to see this expansion. Mapping would be easier it's mostly water :)

• Like 2

I want whatever the Dev's can accurately simulate...be it the ITO, PTO or KTO.   

2 hours ago, Elem said:

He 162 flew in 45 so did the do.

21 minutes ago, LP1888 said:

He 162 flew in 45 so did the do.

The Do 335 never was operational. 

Wasn’t operational but was definitely flying and who says they weren’t armed during testing lol

12 hours ago, =EXPEND=SchwarzeDreizehn said:

This guy does not respond to messages. I have tried. A lot of people and organizations that you think would be happy to help simulate something in a PC sim are simply impossible to work with or get in touch with. As I've explained before, museums, foundations, aircraft restorers, experts, archivists, governments simply don't care or are very rude to me when I send messages. I got very lucky with the Tempest and that took months of trying and help from the community. And I don't have loads of money to throw around to bribe people so it's a hard task.

This is why I ask for drawings, pictures and anything that does not require me to get someone's permission. I have over 10 years of doors being slammed in my face and emails and phone calls ignored. 

Jason

• Sad 9

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

This guy does not respond to messages. I have tried. A lot of people and organizations that you think would be happy to help simulate something in a PC sim are simply impossible to work with or get in touch with. As I've explained before, museums, foundations, aircraft restorers, experts, archivists, governments simply don't care or are very rude to me when I send messages.

What an assholes.. 

• Upvote 1

I would have thought otherwise, that people would be delighted to help and share, unfortunately that does not seem to be the norm.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

A lot of people and organizations that you think would be happy to help simulate something in a PC sim are simply impossible to work with or get in touch with.

Absolutely - very much the rule rather than the exception.

Reminds me of when I wanted to photograph the interior of the He 162 at Planes of Fame in Chino, California, for help in modeling it for the original IL2. Guys wanted something like $5000. 🙄

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

To be fair, most of the small private museums are on shoestring budgets as well. They rely heavily on donations just to keep their doors open and the work of numerous volunteers to restore the aircraft. While it does suck, they can’t operate for free and have identified a potential revenue stream selling access to their AC/cockpits. It is a business after all and I appreciate their dedication to letting me roam around their hangars from time to time in exchange for a little of my cash.

11 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

To be fair, most of the small private museums are on shoestring budgets as well. They rely heavily on donations just to keep their doors open and the work of numerous volunteers to restore the aircraft. While it does suck, they can’t operate for free and have identified a potential revenue stream selling access to their AC/cockpits. It is a business after all and I appreciate their dedication to letting me roam around their hangars from time to time in exchange for a little of my cash.

I have offered many times to pay assuming they pick up the phone, return a call or answer an email. You have no idea how much I've tried the past 15 years.

Jason

13 minutes ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Some fall into that category for sure.

On the other hand, you have other museums run by multi-billionaires that are just needlessly aloof, greedy, or impossible to talk with anyone of consequence unless you corner

them in person at an event.

I'm not sure about the economics here but from a communications/PR perspective ... it'd be great for the museums to try and find quality connections with people who would potentially want to support/donate to their museum. You'd have a very strong audience that way with a partnership with a flight sim. It's a niche market sure but the so called conversion rate would potentially be much higher than with the general public. You already have people passionate about the subject matter. I'm sure Jason would talk plenty up about a museum that had some sort of promotional partnership and it'd put that museum on our radar.

Maybe I'm mistaken about that.

I wish Monguse were still around (RIP). He spent 10 years researching the B-24 for IL-2 1946 and probably had a ton of reference materials.

I have a good relationship with Fantasy of Flight in FL the RAF Museum in Hendon. For our purposes that's good. All the others have either ignored me or we had some issue preventing a closer relationship. There as a contact in Germany for the 262, but I was unable to get there. Duxford is DCS country so they aren't helpful. I always try to get access whenever needed, but it's just not easy. As I've said for years, there is a HUGE disconnect between museums and sim makers. Anyways, I don't want to dwell on this negative topic. There is lots we can build without studying an actual example. With regards to heavy bombers, I have not needed to try to get access to those. At least some of them are far more open to the public and actually fly and you can hitch a ride for some cash. The turrets they shared with smaller birds are a niche bit of technology and to build them right we need manuals, drawings, pictures etc. For like the B-25 that would be important. Some bombers also don't have fully restored turrets.

Jason 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, 392FS_Jred said:

Old people are weird. 👴

thats what the old say about the young, all perspective i guess

old in body young in mind?

8 hours ago, tkcamp56tkcamp said:

Mapping would be easier it's mostly water :)

Except any air campaign that lasts more than several days took place over land. Be it Okinawa, Saipan, New Guinea, or China/Burma/India, land masses will have to be modeled.  Midway and Coral Sea just are not long enough battles to sustain any kind of career mode, and the Dog fighting will get pretty stale, pretty quickly, just like it did in '46.  No aircraft or warship would need to exist if it wasn't for boots on the ground.

As to the museums being stingy with access, try to see it from their point of view.  When someone like Jason asks for help with a video game, all they can imagine is a AAA EA type console title that makes millions, and they want a piece of that for their efforts.  And also remember that a large number of real pilots and warbird owners see simmers generally as a bunch of know it all chair jockeys that question everything that they know (pilot accounts are not to be believed) and are more a nuisance than anything else.  It's a sad state of affairs, but sometimes we are our own worst enemy.

Edited by BlitzPig_EL

20 minutes ago, Jason_Williams said:

I have a good relationship with Fantasy of Flight in FL the RAF Museum in Hendon. For our purposes that's good. All the others have either ignored me or we had some issue preventing a closer relationship. There as a contact in Germany for the 262, but I was unable to get there. Duxford is DCS country so they aren't helpful. I always try to get access whenever needed, but it's just not easy. As I've said for years, there is a HUGE disconnect between museums and sim makers. Anyways, I don't want to dwell on this negative topic. There is lots we can build without studying an actual example. With regards to heavy bombers, I have not needed to try to get access to those. At least some of them are far more open to the public and actually fly and you can hitch a ride for some cash. The turrets they shared with smaller birds are a niche bit of technology and to build them right we need manuals, drawings, pictures etc. For like the B-25 that would be important. Some bombers also don't have fully restored turrets.

Jason 

Jason I have some friends who owns some WWII  warbirds, ,mostly fighters though, no bombers.

I am sure if I ask them , they will allow you to take as many pictures inside and out.

There is a Zero currently being restored and the rest are WWII  US fighters in flyable condition, no german planes though.

One of this friends owns a gaming company so he will understand.

I just asked one of them  if they know someone who owns  B 25, hope they do.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

some of the older generation have funny ideas about computers and that may be the reason for the resistance from them.

approaching via an intermediary may help

misunderstanding is  the biggest communication problem

Edited by =RS=Stix_09

8 minutes ago, II./JG77_motoadve said:

I just asked one of them  if they know someone who owns  B 25, hope they do.

We've got a B-25 pilot within the community. 

This B-25J is in my neck of the woods ... but I'm really not sure how open they are to access most of the time. Also the aircraft is apparently going to spend some time in the shop being converted back to a glass nose.

29000366821_bbfab6b8ef_k.jpg

Edited by ShamrockOneFive
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason_Williams said:

I have offered many times to pay assuming they pick up the phone, return a call or answer an email. You have no idea how much I've tried the past 15 years.

Jason

I wasn’t questioning your effort or lumping all museums into one pile. I may actually have a turret contact for you in Stockton but it will be a bit before I can run that down. Dude has always let me clamber all over his bomber restorations and I know he has manuals.

7 hours ago, =RS=Stix_09 said:

can see the a20 in that b25

Completely different designs, made by different companies.  The only things they share are that they were made in the US, have tricycle gear, and have two engines.

The B25 is a medium bomber, the A20 is a light bomber.

I also take great umbrage at your generalizations about "old people".  I am 65, I build my own computers, I have been a beta tester for the old IL2, I regularly play several different computer games, and the vehicles in the auto museum I work for are always available to people for research.  So can it sonny boy.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Jason: "We also need to decide what our airfields will look like for this theater. If anyone has any info, drawings, pictures of the layout of the airfields in this theater let us know, we could probably use more.”

Is there a list of Bodenplatte airfields that are to be included.  I tend to collect aerial photos of airfields so I'd be interested to see if I can come up with something that might help.

2 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

I also take great umbrage at your generalizations about "old people".  I am 65, I build my own computers, I have been a beta tester for the old IL2, I regularly play several different computer games, and the vehicles in the auto museum I work for are always available to people for research.  So can it sonny boy.

The arrogance of youth. I remember thinking I'd never get old. I'm not sure why but in my 20s I was convinced. As I'm nearly the same age as you, I find not that much has changed in life. A little slower, a little grayer. My interests are the same as always. I still manage a 40+ hr work week. As has been said "youth is wasted on the young". Enjoy it while it lasts. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

I wasn’t questioning your effort or lumping all museums into one pile. I may actually have a turret contact for you in Stockton but it will be a bit before I can run that down. Dude has always let me clamber all over his bomber restorations and I know he has manuals.

Thanks Murf!

Jason

There is a private collection from a multimillionaire in a hangar nextdoor to the San Antonio International Airport .... I visited this amazing collection but I can't tell you more .... send me a PM and I will tell you ;) 

Edited by 15[Span.]/JG51Spartan

6 hours ago, BlitzPig_EL said:

Completely different designs, made by different companies.  The only things they share are that they were made in the US, have tricycle gear, and have two engines.

The B25 is a medium bomber, the A20 is a light bomber.

wow, u just proved my point. then again i might also be an old man... too , it is the internet. sonny boy, classic :-)
I think to answer may just make flames.

BTW , no offense intended, just and off hand remark  from observations , quote " some people..." not "all people"

(a20  similar in shape nothing more was meant)