Sign in to follow this  
H_Steinbaur-VR

CPU is hot !

Well , dummy me 🥴

For a while ago I had problem with my CPU , and I used a screwdriver and did little this and that 

And then problem was solved .....I didn't at that time have the feeling I couldn't turn it to it stopped , but liked it ' roll over' 

And now same problem again ....so .... Have I spoiled the screww and possible to make it tight ? 

I  don't know the temp under load , but I'm almost sure about it's the connection CPU and water cooler - course it's like I can make the screw 'roll over' .....

After start it's around 64-69 and then it goes up to ...see jpg 

4C31E5D2-91B1-41BD-94DD-2358ABDAB06E.jpeg

No do not run it like that, way too hot.

What CPU cooler are you running?

It's an enermax water cooler 

And I'm sure the problem is the screw .....I can only take one off ...the other just turn around and around .....etc etc 

Now I try to take the Mb out and see 

It was not my plan to make a upgrade now .... But maybe it become a 

blessing in disguise 🤔😁

708FA809-81B8-4AF5-B522-E534B2AB8C6E.jpeg

I dont know what you did first time with screwdriwer. Your first post is confusing. Anyways you arent suppose to "do" anything to your cpu with the screwdriver. First check if anything is bend on your 1151 socket or cpu itself. Then clean the bottom of the cooler (after you check its spinning under load) and the surface of the cpu. Then apply a new thermal paste carefully (its enough to apply a bigger drop on the centre. Mount properly your cooler onto the cpu and check the temp. Max tolerable temp of your CPU is 100W but max recommended is around 85C. SO you definitely shouldnt be running your cpu with this temp (you will kill your cpu). Motherboards usually have an option to automaticaly shut down pc if temps are too high.

EDIT: now I see your last post. There is probably a problem with your water cooling. Either its not working properly or it isnt attached firmly because of that one screw. BTW, you really dont need a water cooler for this cpu if it isnt extremely overclocked. A decent aftermarket air cooler would be enough. This one is proven to be ok and affordable.

Edited by blackram

If one of the screws holding the watercooler down has a stripped thread, the cooler may not be making proper contact. Resolving that problem might prove difficult, if it is the thread in the motherboard rather than the screw itself that is stripped. It might be possible to drill the hole larger and tap it with a larger-diameter thread, but that's not an easy job.

Yes .... The pc have been running around 2-3 year .....but suddenly it was hot ...

I then tried to tighten it with the screws ...I then had the feeling I could continue go around .....but it start working again .....so out of my head 

Now 2-3 months later it do it again 

Yes it can be the cooler , the blades are turning  around - but maybe there is a stop one place in the system .....I donno 

But now I know why they are turning around ..... There are no to stop them on the back side .....so at moment cant on or off 🤔

I use to assemble the pc myself  , but I'm no prof

DCBD14A7-9B38-43E0-8912-7680277B5357.jpeg

Edited by Sire
They are off now ..... Let's see ... Maybe no upgrade ....( Sad story ) 🥴😁

Use software like HWMonitor to check whether the pump is still working...

It could be a faulty motherboard, or an invalid setting in software (AISuite?) or BIOS...

The Z170 has a dedicated connector for the pump... 

I googled a bit and came across this: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?83544-Problem-with-Asus-z170-and-water-pump-header

Not saying that's your problem, but it shows a bit about what can go 'wrong'

This sounds like the pump is not running correctly - it has had the issue before, your screwdriver-action fixed it (well, that could have been a coincidence ;)) but now it's back again ...

Good Luck

looking at the picture of the cooler it would appear that the head of the retaining screw has been snapped off. I would guess the first thing to do would be to remove the damaged screw and replace it with a replacement item? That would at least ensure that the cooler was correctly fitted.

Edited by Pajeka

Thank you for you help ...

It's not the screws , they are ok ...and I guess it's the water pump that the problem 

The nut to put on the screw has a bottom so not tighten to fast the cooler to CPU  , but it's thigt to them self - not/screw .....so that's why they could turn and turn both ways ...... So 

I will assemble it again at take a look at the cooler ...... I have not checked wether it was running or not in suite but let's see .... 

On 2/6/2019 at 5:16 PM, Sire said:

Thank you for you help ...

It's not the screws , they are ok ...and I guess it's the water pump that the problem 

The nut to put on the screw has a bottom so not tighten to fast the cooler to CPU  , but it's thigt to them self - not/screw .....so that's why they could turn and turn both ways ...... So 

I will assemble it again at take a look at the cooler ...... I have not checked wether it was running or not in suite but let's see .... 

Check your pump connector to see if it is connected to the right fan slot.I take it the fans on the radiator spins up to max as the temp rises as well? Make sure the bios fan control is running in the correct modes for both the pump and fans. The cooler manual usually specifies how to set it up in terms of connector and maybe even settings.

Pump failures does happen though, so it could be that...

Best of luck!

Thank you , and follow-up   ......

I couldn't figure it out so I bought something new 

A intel core i5 9800k - Rog maximus XL code  - and water pump with 3 propels 

So now the game is running ....

CPU OC 40% and run 5000 

Game is running really fine 😁 - but ....... The pilot is exactly the same 🥴

• Like 1