The only things bothering me today are.

I'm scared to death the Mission Editor from ROF will live on in BOS.

And my Signature picture is too big for this Forum.

sig.jpg

It works everywhere but here and over at ROF.

My daughter made it when she was 13 I'd really like to keep dragging it along, even though its looks like the past is the past now.

this is it proprsionally shrunk down to this forums limits

post-234-0-02278400-1355247707.jpg

Edited by T_O_A_D
  • Upvote 1

I would love to see some improvement to the mission editor myself. For once, please integrate the thing within the game and not as a separate application. It takes ages to test your mission with the current setup.

Honesly there is more stuff to worry with the ROF engine today, many gamers would say that COD engine has some features even better and i think the developers are aware of it, but we dont know whats the situation behind the curtains. So i hope they do their best. Good luck.

Yeah, mission editor is one thing that ROF did not get right. It's powerful, but its also way too difficult to use.

The proof is in the pudding- younger title CloD that spent it's entire life in convulsions and waiting for patches already has more static user made campaigns and missions than RoF. With rof its a big problem - you buy a plane that is not really suited to online, but it's physcs are awesome, its a joy to fly - but only places to fly it are most of the time  dgen like beta-Career and PWCG (which is user made hehe). Creating a static mission or campaign for RoF is way harder than it should be.

Howdy TOAD!  My sig pic won't work either...  Oh well...

And I too am concerned about the mission editor.  I used to make lots of maps for the BlitzPigs, and now I pull up the editor in RoF or Clod, scratch my beard and head for the bottle of single malt Scotch.

We need a way to have it be easily accesable to guys like me, and still retain uber functionality for guys like Thrud.

Edited by ElAurens

If were stuck with the ME as is I hope the net codeing of Clod and IL2 could be biggest gain for ROF if implemented.

Both of those two games can handle loads of objects over the net, unlike ROF.

+1

Not sure if they can just pull out il2's net code but I would like to see the ground warfare get some love.

If were stuck with the ME as is I hope the net codeing of Clod and IL2 could be biggest gain for ROF if implemented.

Both of those two games can handle loads of objects over the net, unlike ROF.

Isn't this more related to the huge complexity of RoF models compared to Il2?

Don't have a lot of experience with RoF online.

I hope the learning curve won't be too steep

The learning curve for for RoF was steep, and kept a lot of people away.  Even me!  CoD was also steep, but its buggy software and slow performance kept me away more then anything.  Im hoping the new game has some simple "arcade" mode to help new pilots, but keep the "hard core" modes for those who want it.  

Howdy Tailspin.

It's good to see so many old timers back, as FlatSpinMan said.  I hope we can stay civil and focused on the future.

The oldtimers you see coming back are doing so because we all still love this genre, and want it to prosper.

Jason and team, I wish you well,  I know it must be daunting coming to grips with the expectations of all of us wing nuts, but, we are here to stay.

B)

Howdy Old farts :D

Good to see ya,

I persoanly have never left, I seldom post just lurk for the most part.  I've scaled back flying activities to one or two days for a few hours instead of every waking moment away from work LOL

Howdy TOAD!  My sig pic won't work either...  Oh well...

And I too am concerned about the mission editor.  I used to make lots of maps for the BlitzPigs, and now I pull up the editor in RoF or Clod, scratch my beard and head for the bottle of single malt Scotch.

We need a way to have it be easily accesable to guys like me, and still retain uber functionality for guys like Thrud.

Right on... I haven't had a look at RoF's mission builder but IL-2s was so perfect for being simple at doing complicated things. It was complicated to do things really well but it was easy enough to make a few bombers fly and drop bombs and setup some fighters to engage each other. I got more complex from there but I would hope for some serious work on a mission builder - that will give this whole project staying power beyond it's initial release. It's why (I think anyways) IL-2 lives to this day.

• Upvote 1

Isn't this more related to the huge complexity of RoF models compared to Il2?

Don't have a lot of experience with RoF online.

Model complexity has little effect on net traffic unless the client doesn't have a copy of the model. The only information sent over the net once everyone has a copy of all the models is stuff like model identifier, position, orientation, speed and damage state (which will be location of hits, leaving the client to apply the damage locally). On servers that only a allow clients to join if they have all the models on the current map and in the current mission, no model build data is transferred.

This doesn't vary much across all real time games, be it shooter, subsim, racesim, flightsim, etc. The difference between games is not the information that's sent, but how the information is encoded, how frequently the information is updated and resent and how the server handles synchronisation issues caused by lag, packet loss, etc.

Edited by Tully

Yeah, i'm also somewhat :unsure: scared by RoF's ME, it does seem to make CoD's look positively user friendly by comparison.

Having to go between separate applications to test what you've just done looks like a 'less than ideal' way of working..

'Interesting' times ahead.

Yeah, i'm also somewhat :unsure: scared by RoF's ME, it does seem to make CoD's look positively user friendly by comparison.

Having to go between separate applications to test what you've just done looks like a 'less than ideal' way of working..

'Interesting' times ahead.

Dont be scare, its a complex ME, the RoF one, but very powerfull. There are several video tutorial to get you started and plenty of people willing to answer any questions about it, me beeing one of them ;). I Agree that the way is set, two different applications isnt the ideal way but I can tell you that it works. Yeah lots of hours to learn but once you learn it..its an awsome application. I have to say I didnt even take a look at CloD one and i didnt touch the RoF ME until 1 year ago.

If you need links to video tutorial or manuals, just let me know.

The ROF mission editor is not the challenge that it was at the begining. It now has a good manual, numerous tutorials and video guides.

If you limit yourself to the complexity of what most would do in IL2 1946 you can learn the difference in one hour in a teamspeak session with an experienced mission builder. It is however hugely more powerful than the IL2 mission builder without having to become a C# programmer which you had to do to to achieve nearly anything in Clod.

I spent many years building online multi player campaigns in IL2, have been building ROF campaigns for 2+ years, am currently building our first Clod online campaign and have found that the Clod editor is the worst of the lot unless you read russian and have a friend in the development team. And with ROF you get a comprehensive set of statistics logs to analyse mission results the way that used to be so easy in IL2.

Now there are currently some limitations within ROF mission editing, but do not blindly read and believe many so called limits.

I run online missions in ROF every week with 200+ ground objects. With IL2 1946 we can go a bit further with 500+ simpler objects, I'm not sure where Clod will top out. There is a limit in co-op mode of about 50 human manned pilot/gunner positions but that still makes for a busy Squad v Squad mission. In dogfight mode I've seen 70 plus players but cannot tell how many were actively flying.

The bulk of these limits are self imposed by the ROF development team who have to support 32bit XP memory limits. I would expect that in 2 years time it would be commercialy viable to sell a flight sim exclusively to the 64bit market and access that available memory.

Spent several hours yesterday, wrestling with the ROF ME to build a very simple 1v1 map.

I finally got some headway and got it to work.

I still have a couple things bothering me on the mission, but I'll post over there about it.

But my biggest hang up was this Display problem.

http://riseofflight.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=353&t=34242

Luckily it was a quick fix, although I only asked after I had waisted several hours fighiting it.

At least I went to bed after asking, to find the answer first thing in the morning. B)

Thought of something else to ponder.

I'm wondering how they will implement track recording. With ROF you have to back up every older version of the game and play offline to save your old tracks. Not satisfactory IMO.

Edited by T_O_A_D

Thanks for the offers of help B)

been going thru Vanderstock's videos, reading the RoF ME quide. Any other 'better' links appreciated tho.

It is however hugely more powerful than the IL2 mission builder without having to become a C# programmer which you had to do to to achieve nearly anything in Clod.

I have a differing opinion of CoD's fmb-  I reckon it took me ~3months to get to a stage where I knew I could write an SP campaign, most of it learning the small amount of scripting needed for a campaign to run, scripting not being necessary for any SP missions of an IL2 type complexity..  Before CoD I'd barely used IL2's fmb

In a year I'd done 2 campaigns, the last being a 2 part ome of 60+ missions of 1-2 hour+ duration each with over 2600 objects and upto 160 aircraft. This is by no means the limit ;)

Anyway, I'd like to hope that a year after BoS release I'm able to do something similar :o