Gambit21

Airfield Textures not loading...

I'm having a consistent problem where on some maps, airfield textures do not load.

I'm missing runways, field textures etc.

This was happening before with Kuban Autumn, so I simply used the Summer map as a work-around.

Now the same thing is happening with Moscow winter, however if I load say Moscow Autumn the airfield textures load.

However the terrain pre-set dialog box remains on "Lapino Summer" no matter what I choose.

For the moment this doesn't matter too much, and as long as the Bodenplatte winter airfields load when the map comes I'm good...however I'd like to solve the issue just the same.

Any ideas?

Suggestion:

1. Save your entire MCUs setup as a group. 
  2. Close mission editor
  3. Open mission editor to a completely new/clean map
  4. Setup winter/autumn/summer colors as necessary
  5. Put your group into the clean map
  6. Check/Test to make sure no MCU moved (They shouldn't have)
  7. Check/Test to see if it fixed the texture issue
  8. ????
  9. Profit?
Edited by [TWB]Sketch

18 hours ago, JimTM said:

Does running the editor reset tool help?

It does not.

8 hours ago, [TWB]Sketch said:

Suggestion:

1. Save your entire MCUs setup as a group. 
  2. Close mission editor
  3. Open mission editor to a completely new/clean map
  4. Setup winter/autumn/summer colors as necessary
  5. Put your group into the clean map
  6. Check/Test to make sure no MCU moved (They shouldn't have)
  7. Check/Test to see if it fixed the texture issue
  8. ????
  9. Profit?

Nope - a problem with the editor even when starting a mission from scratch. :(

I have no idea... 

Try this maybe?

1. Close the editor
  2. In your games folder, under the data subfolder, delete rename the files ctreecache.eng
    and mtreecache.eng to something like ctreecache.eng_OLD.
  3. ????
  4. Profit?

Otherwise... you'll probably have to reinstall the game? I can't think of another solution.

Thanks - I’ll try that, if no joy I’ll ask Alex.

If that doesn’t work I’ll consider a reinstall - which is a pain with my slow connection.

• Sad 1

terrain presets is nothing more than a drop down box.  It does not tell you what is selected, it just lets you know what your options are.

Could you post a screen shot of just the mission properties window?  you can blank out anything you may not want public at this time,

and, is just a hand full of airfields, or all airfields.  If it is just a few, what are a couple of them (and grids), and what map they show up with, and what map they do not show up with,

I had the issue with the kuban map summer / autumn, where the cities objects, and the artillery, trucks etc. had the winter textures. Amazing to have snow covered houses in full summertime.

One thing that solved the problem was to go and check in the mission parameters file that the season was effectively correctly registered.

You have two seasons, summer and winter coded as: "su" or "win".

Summer applies for spring and autumn. For unknown reasons either you have nothing registered or "win" instead of "su".

So I set it manually. And then you have to open and save a few times the map (empty map) by checking that the mission properties GUI and MAP are correct.

Then I loaded the templates, city, ports, objects and they came with the right texture.

Now I am on 3.010b and did not have an issue so far. Cross fingers 😎

The editor simply will not load airfield textures on some maps, regardless of other factors.

This happens with Moscow Winter, and Kuban Fall so far that I've noticed.

I don't have this problem with Kuban Summer, or Moscow Summer, or, or Stalingrad etc.

Here's are two shots of a new mission file, same place on the map.

There should be airfield textures in this spot.

Textures are absent in the mission itself as well.

For Kuban, this is why I build my whole campaign on the Summer map rather than fall.

For right now I'm building Bodenplatte logic so it doesn't matter which map I use as a stand-in...so I just switched to Moscow.

Still would like this solved.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by Gambit21

damn gambit, I never see airfield textures when I am in map mode as in pic 2.  When ever I go to place a fakefield, I have to go to map mode like pic one to determine the orientation of the airfield icon, then switch to the other map mode to continue editing.

Ok Gambit, i see what you wrotte me. It's a settings of the editor.  But i can't tell you which one, because i didn't know how to enter in that settings (i would like to know, because it could open some possibilities after running test). I encountered once that, and i solved it by resetting the editor or/and copy all the editor directory from another installation (i didn't remind me, but it was one of the both choice). 

On 2/8/2019 at 9:17 PM, Gambit21 said:

The editor simply will not load airfield textures on some maps, regardless of other factors.

This happens with Moscow Winter, and Kuban Fall so far that I've noticed.

I don't have this problem with Kuban Summer, or Moscow Summer, or, or Stalingrad etc.

Here's are two shots of a new mission file, same place on the map.

There should be airfield textures in this spot.

Textures are absent in the mission itself as well.

For Kuban, this is why I build my whole campaign on the Summer map rather than fall.

For right now I'm building Bodenplatte logic so it doesn't matter which map I use as a stand-in...so I just switched to Moscow.

Still would like this solved.

Untitled-2.jpg

I tried on my system and no problem, the Moscow Winter map loads all textures. Here is the one of the Airfield you had an issue.

L-37-SW_Krassnodar_Asien_500K_Ausg.2_LMN_VI_1943.thumb.jpg.2124c3f4bb4b21075957436c5791e7d9.jpg

Maybe the Map or some texture files are corrupted.

No it's not corruption. It's a setting in the editor which give you access to the substrate of the map (but i don't know how. I already have that problem). In those settings, you can erase an airfield (as a position on the map, and the runway, as we can see on the screen from Gambit) from the map. And that's what happened to Gambit.

15 minutes ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

So, if I can not see runways in normal editing view, I suffer from the same thing?

Yep. You should see airfield/runway textures on all maps.

I only have this issue on some maps.

Airfields show up normally Kuban Summer for instance, but are missing on Kuban Autumn for me.

Missing on Moscow Winter as well.

fwiw

stalingrad summer no

stalingrad yes

stalingrad autumn yes

moscow winter yes

moscow autumn no

lapino yes

lapino summer no

lapino autumn yes

Kuban spring yes

Kuban summer yes

Kuban autumn yes

I did dick around with the tools and location database settings (at the risk of screwing things up completely)  Did not seem like anything I did made any changes.  But I only do MP, so when I place that fake field, I have to orientate that icon, and never remember seeing a runway. I would have to switch to the gui map mode, and place and orientate the icon that way.  I suppose they could have been there in some instances, and I just did not notice them.  Would not surprise me.

I've asked Alex on the dev team about this, he hasn't had the problem or heard of it.

Next is posting a request on the beta forum for an overwrite file for the airfield textures.

Know how people freak out when it's suggested to fiddle with files, but this is working for me.

Took a look at my dedicated server install.  It's pretty vanilla, the only thing run off the Il2 game has been the Dserver.  All the airfields appeared on all the maps when I  opened  ME on the server.

Compared the directories on the server to what I have at home.  This does not have anything to do with ungtp, these are folders that already exist.

In data/graphics/landscape/xxxxxxxx, all the landscape folders on the server have a Roads directory, and nothing else.

In the same folders at home, I have the Roads directory, and additional files,  a surface.dat, and a surface.txt.   I renamed them both Asurface.dat and Asurface.txt

1662796017_moscowautumn2.jpg.f06bd606beb494184d380c4b53845aa1.jpg

Started ME, and now I have airfield textures with the Moscow Autumn map.

1254248340_MoscowAutumn.thumb.jpg.524a6e320a0dd6aa8cb8639ea42ca335.jpg

This is my Stalingrad Summer without editing those 2 files

1872276583_stalingradsummer.thumb.jpg.8db0da535d3e009ac3c439dbb66cfa66.jpg

This is Stalingrad Summer after I edit the files

657796386_stalingradsummer2.thumb.jpg.f03e6ec1d2a92cb852feb52bac26ac13.jpg

What I might suggest is someone with pull, to ask the Dev's just what is going on with these files. Are they needed, but corrupt, or maybe they should not be there, but somehow ended up in our installation.  Can't say for certain, but did seem like ME took longer to load (if that is at all possible) after I edited the files.

Edited by WWSitttingDuck
  • Upvote 1

I did look to see if ME recreated the files, but guess it does not do it until you close ME, or maybe when you start the game. 

But it does indeed recreate the 2 files I renamed.  They are not identical.  I still have airfields textures on my maps.

943518103_stalingradsummer3.jpg.678e89145b79ef3f9815a7b9109c92c9.jpg

Edited by WWSitttingDuck

I checked in detail and I am ok with all texture airfields on all the maps. Must be luck.

On 2/17/2019 at 11:10 AM, Habu said:

No it's not corruption. It's a setting in the editor which give you access to the substrate of the map (but i don't know how. I already have that problem). In those settings, you can erase an airfield (as a position on the map, and the runway, as we can see on the screen from Gambit) from the map. And that's what happened to Gambit.

Hey Habu,

I installed those files that you sent, but I still don't have airfield textures. :(

Hi All

I have exactly the same problem as Gambit21 with the same 2 maps

Daedallus

18 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

Hey Habu,

I installed those files that you sent, but I still don't have airfield textures. :(

Check MP.

Posted (edited)

Hello all,

I read this thread with great interest. I faced a similar issue for the first time two days ago following the latest 3.012b release - but this might be by coincidence only. Not only airfields were affected but also any buildings, blocks and even roads had disappeared in the ortho view. By switching to the camera view I found out that a second map had been placed over the "base map" obscuring any texture and structure. The topmost map carried all trees but was wavy and obviously corrupted. ALL maps were affected, however, the respective missions played without any issue.

The remedy: I deleted the ctreecache and the mtreecache files. A safe operation because Il-2 writes new ones each time it is started. I found this hint somewhere else in this forum as a measure to make newly written missions appear in the game's list if not visible immediately.

For the moment everything works fine again so I can't post screen shots to illustrate the findings. I'll do so should the problem reoccur after a while.

Cheers

HaMa

Edited by Hamaha15