Why not chip away at the Pacific by adding every now and then a plane that has a dual role theater wise, we already have several the P 39 , A20, P40, Spit, P 47... So why not add a few key Navy planes that also operated in Europe like the SBD and wildcat for example, all this is really a get ahead task for a Pacific theater scenario, they could just do something like Burma by adding the Oscar and a ki 48 to just get things going, I am shure I am not the first to sugest this...

• Upvote 2

Not that easy.  Let's say that you consume the resources to make a Wildcat and Dauntless.  What map are you going to use them on?  How would they fit with a western campaign?  By the time you got through doing everything needed to actually use them in game you would be half way to the Pacific but with a lot of extra work that will probably not produce returns (assuming that Battle of the Atlantic or Operation Torch would not be top sellers ... which I might be wrong about ... but I don't think so.).

IMHO if you're going to do that then just go all in and do the pacific.

• Upvote 2

Honestly, I suspect the Battle of the Desert Fox might do better than people expect.

While the battles are little known, Rommel is a big name, and the color palette allows for some fantastic imagery for the marketing group to work with. But it would need to be marketted. 

No pls, Bodenplatte first together with more  Bodenplatte collector planes

I would rather have more VVS planes to use on current map than wildcat now

1 minute ago, Voyager said:

Corsair? 

I kid, I kid... 

Could be a good addition if just for a recreation of the attack on the Tirpitz!!

As long as they stay away from the eastern front I don't care what they do after this. I would like to see a few collector aircraft for Bodenplatte though especially if we won't be seeing the western front again after this.

• Like 1

hdMM2Et.jpg

As far as the Wildcat it does not fit the later war  western European map, but it could be included as a Collectors plane and thrown in just for fun, the suggestion is more about finding a path to the Pacific that is fun for us and easer for them, a lot of creative license is taken for maps and plane sets as it is now, and part of  my concern is also that the pacific Forum is apparently dead suggesting that it may well be just a pipe dream now, and a small theater like Burma could be done now in part with many of the allied planes we already have with just the addition of a Couple / Three IJA planes.

3 minutes ago, BRADYS555 said:

it could be included as a Collectors plane and thrown in just for fun,

Waste of time without a proper map on which to fly it. 

• Upvote 2

Who cares what map its on. BOX planes are gorgeous and fun to fly. The more the merrier.

Hard to envision someone having a sweet azz BOX Corsair but being such a pedantic snob that he would refuse to fly it just because the water by Kuban doesn't look Pacific-e enough.

Far as I know, this is a game. Games are for fun. And BOX planes are damn good fun! :cool:

• Upvote 2

It's not like they are sitting idle twiddling their thumbs wondering what plane they could be working on.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jade_Monkey said:

It's not like they are sitting idle twiddling their thumbs wondering what plane they could be working on.

lol yes

It is fun to dream though, I am keen on Boden Plate but Europe has been done to death, apart from the med, be fun to try a new theater.

You don't want to take your major Pacific players out of the mix for that release. It would be severely watered down that way and terrible from a sales/marketing standpoint. And it's not like they aren't killing it with three irons in the fire already. I'll wait to get all of the early Pacific AC in one shot and the later ones in another release or two.

43 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Who cares what map its on. BOX planes are gorgeous and fun to fly. The more the merrier.

Plenty of people do, and those same people don't want to see what has happened in DCS happen here, what with the very nice Normandy map it has but jack all for a proper plane set for it.

No way, no how, no thank you. If there's to be an SBD and a Wildcat, it's gotta come with a PTO map, and you darn well know if it didn't, people would be scratching their heads and wondering WTH is going on.

45 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

Hard to envision someone having a sweet azz BOX Corsair but being such a pedantic snob that he would refuse to fly it just because the water by Kuban doesn't look Pacific-e enough.

You apparently don't understand the flightsim community very well.

Edited by LukeFF

37 minutes ago, BRADYS555 said:

It is fun to dream though, I am keen on Boden Plate but Europe has been done to death, apart from the med, be fun to try a new theater.

Here we go with the "done to death" comments again.

NOTHING has been 'done to death' with a modern sim engine, and the closest thing you can point a finger at right now is the Eastern Front, and even then...not so much.

You can go back and play Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator if you wish, the rest of us don't include this and Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, or even the IL2 for that matter when we consider what theaters have been adequately covered.

• Like 1

they could use some of the earlier eastern front planes if they did a Battle of Britten, they already have the He-111 and the P-40, though I don't think the Spitfire MKV was around till after the landings at Normandy.  but some of the earlier British and German planes like the Hurricane and Bf-109B would not be bad. and they are already working on the western front now, granted a different time period.  But I'm kind of excited to see some western front stuff here with BoBP, and it's later war planes.

Edited by Bluehat1

11 minutes ago, LukeFF said:

Been in it since Falcon 3 on a 386.

But I don't take it too seriously and go all petty and pedant about it.

It's a game.

Admittedly, I have long thought it would be fascinating to do a "what if" campaign annoy what the European theater would have been like, had the US Army closed down the Air Corps the way that was considered during the Great Depression. Some planes would have still flown anyways, but many would never have been developed. 

25 minutes ago, Bluehat1 said:

they could use some of the earlier eastern front planes if they did a Battle of Britten, they already have the He-111 and the P-40, though I don't think the Spitfire MKV was around till after the landings at Normandy.  but some of the earlier British and German planes like the Hurricane and Bf-109B would not be bad. and they are already working on the western front now, granted a different time period.  But I'm kind of excited to see some western front stuff here with BoBP, and it's later war planes.

Battle of Britian could be faked to some extent with our German livery of 109 E7's, 111's and Ju 88's. Both bombers are later versions of BoB aircraft but fit the bill visually. Our Spitfires, however, do not fit the scenario at all. The P-40, so far as I know, did not serve in that campaign. The Brit's used it overseas only.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

A Zero and a fictitious Pacific Islands map like we had in the old Aces Expansion Pack would work.  Maybe add a Vokes filter to the Spitfire Mk V for authenticity. Invite the P-39, P-40 and A-20 to the party and you might get a very cost effective boost in developer revenue.

I am all for IJN, but a Brewster and hurricane and Oscar, ki 48 over Burma would be quick way in with the IJA for an early war set up or they could go late war with a ki 84 and our P 47 and it already has a Burma skin ! :) 

There is nothing "quick" about modeling any Japanese aircraft, let alone the ki 48.

I'm a fan of the SBD and it would be the aircraft I would most look forward to in a PTO expansion... but considering the number of BoBOP aircraft (both planned and potential collector models) as well as the map and other features that are still to come (as well as FC and TC) isn't this all rather premature? I can't help but think it'll be quite some time before they could work on anything else.

3 hours ago, Gambit21 said:

There is nothing "quick" about modeling any Japanese aircraft, let alone the ki 48.

Well, that’s the idea with Burma, it’s quick compared to the alternative, any IJN plane set will need a Betty or Nell, a Zero Vall and Kate, and Carriers, ships exc... With Burma you could get away with a comparatively small map and just Two Japanese planes to start with go early war and use an Oscar ( two or three variants ) and one bomber a Ki 48 or a Ki 21, or go late war and do a Ki 84, a get ahead collectors plane would be a Brewster and the fins would love to see that anyway 

7 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

Battle of Britian could be faked to some extent with our German livery of 109 E7's, 111's and Ju 88's. Both bombers are later versions of BoB aircraft but fit the bill visually. Our Spitfires, however, do not fit the scenario at all. The P-40, so far as I know, did not serve in that campaign. The Brit's used it overseas only.

109E-7 doesn’t fit the BoB either. 

You could get a passable 1941 with the E-7, F-2, 190A and Spit Vb, but that’s about it. 

If there was a Channel map a bit like Rise of Flight’s though, with the south coast of England, and France, then that plus a handful of appropriate collector planes basically covers the Western European theatre from 1939-44.

We’ve got most of the German aircraft, and a lot of the Allied aircraft fit other theatres as well - off the top of my head Blenheim (Finland), Beaufighter (Far East/Italy), Hurricane (Finland/USSR/Italy/Far East), Typhoon (Bodenplatte), Mosquito (Bodenplatte/Italy). 

Then theres earlier versions of Bodenplatte’s aircraft - razorback P-47, P-51B, Spit IX with a C wing. lol or restrict mods as appropriate depending on the year; it wouldn’t need much more than that. 

The whole premise above starts with the, "Battle of Britain could be faked," visually from the German side but not from the British side.

Edited by II/JG17_HerrMurf

15 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Far as I know, this is a game. Games are for fun. And BOX planes are damn good fun! :cool:

Problem is not everybody sees it that way.  If 1C started producing planes that didn't fit with any map there would be pissed off people and it would lead to headaches for them.

13 hours ago, II/JG17_HerrMurf said:

You would have to do BoB 1941 :) 

Just now, PatrickAWlson said:

Problem is not everybody sees it that way.  If 1C started producing planes that didn't fit with any map there would be pissed off people and it would lead to headaches for them.

Aren't you that campaign guy? Cheers! :drinks:

I hear ya. I just love the BOX planes, they really are gorgeous. And with all the beautiful planes that are out there, it would be great fun to have as many as possible.

But I'm more of a sandbox flyer than a hardcore type. I'm just here for the fun of it. :cool:

7 minutes ago, PatrickAWlson said:

You would have to do BoB 1941 :) 

See (directly) above................

:)

2 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

Aren't you that campaign guy? Cheers! :drinks:

I hear ya. I just love the BOX planes, they really are gorgeous. And with all the beautiful planes that are out there, it would be great fun to have as many as possible.

But I'm more of a sandbox flyer than a hardcore type. I'm just here for the fun of it. :cool:

No complaints here.  It's easier for me.  If I want to add a plane I just write the code to do it :)

A Hawk 75 is another way to go, they flew for the Finn’s and in Burma as a collectors plane 

Lifted this from Shores today, gives an Idea of what a Early 42 Plane set for Burma would like:

BVA9GYn.jpg

Zw92XrO.jpg

• Upvote 1

On 2/4/2019 at 6:34 PM, LukeFF said:

Plenty of people do, and those same people don't want to see what has happened in DCS happen here, what with the very nice Normandy map it has but jack all for a proper plane set for it.

No way, no how, no thank you. If there's to be an SBD and a Wildcat, it's gotta come with a PTO map, and you darn well know if it didn't, people would be scratching their heads and wondering WTH is going on.

+1 for sure

8 hours ago, BornToBattle said:

+1 for sure

At what point does the individual exercise freedom of choice over what he buys and flies?

If the inclusion of a Corsair, for example, would ruin the game for someone, there is something definitely wrong with the person, not the game.

4 hours ago, CanadaOne said:

If the inclusion of a Corsair, for example, would ruin the game for someone, there is something definitely wrong with the person, not the game.

It wouldn't ruin the game (geeze, c'mon already), but without a proper map on which to fly it (read: a map depicting where it actually flew), it's not much more than a shiny toy for the MP types - which, as you might recall, are a very small segment of the population playing this game. 

What I would personally prefer is a Plane set that matches the map, and is variable to period, so on a hypothetical Burma map you would have an early war plane set referenced above and potentially a later war plane set.

But I think some wiggle room is in order as well, for Bodenplate I would like to see maybe a He 162 as a collectors plane, its not really appropriate for the map though, but it would be fun... (for me)

The SBD would not really be appropriate for the Bodenplate map either, but its not unreasonable or less so than the He 162 is as a collectors plane, they were operating in theater at this time off map to the South, the only rational for adding it apart from perhaps being fond of it is that its a get ahead for the pacific

The Wildcat is a stretch to be sure, they did operate on Europe but earlier, and largely in the med, briefly.

It just seams to me that the easiest  way for them to get a pacific theater going would be to go the Burma route and to do an early war set up, where they can add a few allied planes that fit both for Finland, which we have maps for, and Burma, and add at least two IJA planes, three would be better (Ki-43,Ki-48, Ki-44), but to do the Allied ones first as collectors planes, the Brewster and Blenheim especially  since they were used in a lot of places, an H81 derivative of the P40 would also seam to be an comparatively easy addition.

Edited by BRADYS555

1 hour ago, LukeFF said:

It wouldn't ruin the game (geeze, c'mon already), but without a proper map on which to fly it (read: a map depicting where it actually flew), it's not much more than a shiny toy for the MP types - which, as you might recall, are a very small segment of the population playing this game. 

It's a game, it a plane, it's a game with planes.

A WWII fighter in a game full of WWII fighters can hardly be seen as a death blow to "flightsim common sense" just because the plane is away from home. And in a few weeks there will be 262s and Sopwith Camels sharing the air on people's machines - if they so chose - so I think any notion of purity that might exist is rapidly becoming defunct. I shot down a Ju-52 in a Spad last night. I mean, am I in trouble now?

A Corsair at a BOX level of quality would be gorgeous and damn good fun. I would buy it and fly it for sure. And if the other guy does not want to, that is his choice.

Edited by CanadaOne

52 minutes ago, CanadaOne said:

so I think any notion of purity that might exist is rapidly becoming defunct.

Sure, if your goal is to kill sales and end any further development. Like I said, you obviously don't understand the flight sim community very well. So, let me say it again, Barney-style for you: people want to fly a plane against its real-world adversaries, on a time-period appropriate map. That's why career mode has been such a welcome addition to the game. 

• Haha 1