Sign in to follow this  
Alonzo

Dynamic difficulty in multiplayer

Hey all, I'm working on maps for a new multiplayer server. One thing that seems likely is we'll start with a small player base while people try the maps out and decide maybe they like the server. So there will be a smaller number of players most probably. I'm interested in tips or ideas for people who may have done some kind of difficulty scaling for a low-population server. Some random ideas, not sure whether they are any good or not:

• Reduce AA skill level to Low until a certain number of players log into the server. Then use a Behavior command to increase it to Normal, and even High once lots of players log in. But is Low sufficient to make targets easier to solo kill? Or am I likely to have to also outright disable some amount of AA positions?
  • Remove targets from the map and victory conditions if not many players have logged in.
  • Close airfields (and remove targets) if not many players have logged in.

For "not many players have logged in" I can count spawns on either side easily enough, but really I'd like to do something based on the *current* number of players. Is there any way to measure current number of players on an MP server, or even just "number of players who logged in in the last 10 minutes" or something?

Any other suggestions? All ideas most gratefully received.

Enable remote console, place server input commands in mission,  and write a script that checks how many players are online, and have the script use the server inputs to adjust airfield spawns etc. in the mission.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Enable remote console, place server input commands in mission,  and write a script that checks how many players are online, and have the script use the server inputs to adjust airfield spawns etc. in the mission.

Hmm, interesting. Do you know of any available software that does this? I'm guessing the console is just TELNET protocol or something, but if I can piggyback existing work to connect to the console, authorize, get player counts, etc, then that would make it quicker to do. I can code all of that from scratch it's just a bit of a waste of time if someone's already done it. I think I remember @coconut had some kind of server-load dynamic AI thing going on -- does that use the remote console, and is the source code available to modify/extend?

Thanks!