I wish the setup for my $600 dollar hotas warthog flight stick and throttle was as easy as IL-2 1946. The setup for this simulator (Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Moscow and Battle of Kuban) is a freaking nightmare. I wish you would apply fixes to make this easier to setup. Right now it's sitting in the box and I can't use it would appreciate any help in this matter.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, anthonyjchristia said:

The setup for this simulator (Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Moscow and Battle of Kuban) is a freaking nightmare.

You just go to the keybindings menu and choose which button or axis does what.

Don't try to bind everything from the beginning. Start with only the basic controls (pitch, roll, yaw, gear up/down, flaps up/down, things like that) and in time, as you find you need something else, bind that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Been using the Warthog throttle and joystick for years in IL2 and DCs and setting the binding is so easy using the KEY MAPPING however,  FORGET about using the Warthog scrip it is complex and absolutely not needed..

Got to key mapping, select what item you want to control, move the button on the stick or throttle and that is it.

For the axis move over to the right where you see the Sine emblem, select that and setup the sensitivity of the pitch/roll axis.

To delete a Key bind select the X in the key bind you want to delete, then right or left mouse click and its cleared.

Edited by fiddlinjim
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
6 hours ago, fiddlinjim said:

Been using the Warthog throttle and joystick for years in IL2 and DCs and setting the binding is so easy using the KEY MAPPING however,  FORGET about using the Warthog scrip it is complex and absolutely not needed..

Got to key mapping, select what item you want to control, move the button on the stick or throttle and that is it.

For the axis move over to the right where you see the Sine emblem, select that and setup the sensitivity of the pitch/roll axis.

To delete a Key bind select the X in the key bind you want to delete, then right or left mouse click and its cleared.

Same here.  It's easy also in COD.  Just take your time.

• 1 year later...

hii everyone, i just got the game and since bohz game and hotas have been out for quite some time, maybe someone can provide me their input files so i can just drop the in the direcrtory and start flying. if this is even possible but i dont really see why it shouldnt be possible.  i am using the thrustamster warthog hotas aswell but dont have any pedals just yet

thanks for your help and advice in advance :)

oh and sorry for necroing and old forum post

Edited by Glasya_25
On 2/5/2019 at 3:46 PM, fiddlinjim said:

So how do you use switches on throttle without TARGET? They are not visible for me under Key Bindings in a game.

On 11/29/2020 at 4:35 AM, Koziolek said:

So how do you use switches on throttle without TARGET? They are not visible for me under Key Bindings in a game.

Please read my instructions carefully:

Go to key mapping, select what item you want to control, move the button on the stick or throttle and that is it.

Edited by fiddlinjim
left out info

I prefer TARGET, once you know how to use it, it works like a charm.  Look up my post on TM Warthog, I just this evening uploaded all of the profiles for all of the aircraft, complete with documentation.  Go to the last post, don't dl the first few, the 5 Dec post is the latest.

On 12/2/2020 at 2:52 PM, fiddlinjim said:

Please read my instructions carefully:

Go to key mapping, select what item you want to control, move the button on the stick or throttle and that is it.

I agree it works for the buttons but not for the 2 or 3 position switches. Key bindings don't recognize them. I don't know why, but only the Flaps switch works as it should. To use the rest of them I have to use Target. Or maybe I'm just dense 😟

2 hours ago, Koziolek said:

I agree it works for the buttons but not for the 2 or 3 position switches. Key bindings don't recognize them. I don't know why, but only the Flaps switch works as it should. To use the rest of them I have to use Target. Or maybe I'm just dense 😟

If you want to use shifted functions or layers, TARGET is what you need.  Once you are used to the interface, its pretty easy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I'm a sim fan since about ZX-81 (if you know what it is, you are old too...), but just bought IL-2 Sturmovik BoS (vanilla install with no any update yet, waiting for Friday).

I'm having a weird problem with key mapping. On my Warthog stick, in the key mapping section I can map my POV hat to the elevator trim functions (Nose up and down), but in game it just doesn't move the trim wheel. If I use deafult keyboard command Ctrl + Up/Down arrow, it works, but with the stick POV hat, it just doesn't.

Question about the prop pitch, I tried to assign it to the 4-way switch on my throttle to prop pitch high and low. I tried it in the very first training mission, I guessYak-1 taxi and take off, then in the Me-109 too. Neighter worked, altough those functions I couldn't work with my keyboard too, probably the different keyboard layout.

Anyone with any ideas? THX

Trim and prop pitch are both held functions.  On any button on the Warthog, if you hit a button or hat or whatever, it sees it as a PULSE, that is it only sends 1 instance of the command.  You need to make them both HELD functions, that is the command is sent every 25ms as long as you hold the key down.

Have a look at the FW190 fcf file in TARGET, both prop pitch and trim are there, prop pitch on the Multifunction hat switch (thumb hat on the throttle, Up/down) and stab trim on the the joystick pov hat (H1) up and down.  This works on german ac that have adjustable prop pitch.

For the prop pitch SWITCH to work, you must be in manual prop pitch mode, the german planes are mostly automatic, you have to physically turn it off.

Better still, load up the fcf file into your Warthog, and try it out.  All of the controls are listed on the accompanying pdf file for the FW190

For some AC, prop pitch is an axis, for some a switch (most german planes that have prop pitch use a switch).  You have to map an AXIS to an axis, like the left throttle (that's what I have it mapped to). This has to be done in-game on the keymapping page.

PM me, I'll walk you through it...

20 hours ago, Razor18 said:

Hi Guys,

I'm a sim fan since about ZX-81 (if you know what it is, you are old too...), but just bought IL-2 Sturmovik BoS (vanilla install with no any update yet, waiting for Friday).

I'm having a weird problem with key mapping. On my Warthog stick, in the key mapping section I can map my POV hat to the elevator trim functions (Nose up and down), but in game it just doesn't move the trim wheel. If I use deafult keyboard command Ctrl + Up/Down arrow, it works, but with the stick POV hat, it just doesn't.

Question about the prop pitch, I tried to assign it to the 4-way switch on my throttle to prop pitch high and low. I tried it in the very first training mission, I guessYak-1 taxi and take off, then in the Me-109 too. Neighter worked, altough those functions I couldn't work with my keyboard too, probably the different keyboard layout.

Anyone with any ideas? THX

Edited by WWDarkdiz
Forgot quote
  • 4 weeks later...

I realise this is probably an easy question but searching it has not helped.

The warthog trigger has two stages, button 1 and button 6. How do you map button 6 without button 1 being read first?

You can get around that by having TG1 (button 1) as either the same command as TG2 (button 6), OR having button 1 as a shifted function and separate un-shifted function (pinky S3 in (/I) or out (/O)).

For example, I have button 1 and 6 mapped as follows (remember that the functions listed here, the ones I use, MAY be different from the game defaults):

TG1 /O RALT Space which fires Wpn Group 1, it is unshifted.  Typically, these are machine guns only.

TG1 /I LALT Space which fires Wpn Group 2, this is shifted (you need to press S3 pinky at the same time).  Typically, these are cannons only.  In practice, I don't purposely use this function is a lot, as if I started to fire with MGs to see where the rounds are striking, I would then press the trigger all the way to add cannons to the bullet stream.  Kind of a waste to use cannons to determine where your rounds are hitting.

If I continue THROUGH TG1 to TG2 (button 6) it is mapped as follows:

TG2 /O OR /I (S3 pinky on OR out, doesn't matter) is LSHF Space which fires ALL guns.  Turns out you don't even need the "/O" or "/I" in the script, as the function will execute Fire All Guns regardless of the S3 state.

The only thing left that is NOT mapped on the triggers is Fire Wpn Group 3, which so far is ONLY on the Sopwith Dolphin in FC, and then only if you have equipped the over-wing Lewis guns.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Edited by WWDarkdiz

Those mappings sound very reasonable my question is how do you get the interface to map button 6 to anything? Every time I pull the trigger in the control mapping interface it reads button 1 and maps that.

I would like button 1 to fire MGs and button 6 to fire MGs and cannon.

The ability to 'shift' mappings with a pinky button sounds very useful, but again I have no idea how to do that in the interface.

8 hours ago, Tripper said:

Those mappings sound very reasonable my question is how do you get the interface to map button 6 to anything? Every time I pull the trigger in the control mapping interface it reads button 1 and maps that.

The trick for map dual buttons trigger - of any joystick, in any game; is:

- Select the first function (control), press and HOLD the button 1.

- Then select the second function (control), continue pressing until get button 6 click.

In that way the button 1 is not detected in second function (control).

Edited by Sokol1
  • Thanks 1

This is why TARGET (the software GUI programming utility that comes with TM joysticks), IMHO, gives far more flexibility to customize what you want to do.  There are simply some things you cannot do with the direct in-game keymapping.

@Tripper, if you want to PM me I can run you through setting it up, and running it.

Should be able to, but in general the joy pinky is the "shift" button.  I don't recommend using it (up to you of course).  Perhaps try the S4 (paddle)?

In TARGET its easy.

I referred to the throttle pinky, which is a 3 position switch on the outside of the left throttle (and is the light switch on DCS and RL A-10C and F-18).

Thanks, I found the cause, probably user error, messed it up by trying it before pressing "Accept" or "Exit" from key mapping GUI. Works OK now.

Are there any user templates anywhere about practical and useful IL-2 function assignments to different TM HW buttons, just to collect cool ideas as eye openers? I just realized for instance flap is probably most useful to assign to TM WH air brake switch, so you can reach it in an intense dogfight with your thumb instead of reaching down to the original flap switch outside of the left throttle, etc. (Maybe not for a Stuka, but for the majority of the planes probably).

Thanks for any links or pointers...

I wrote a TARGET profile system that over several different files, incorporates all of the current BOX/FC aircraft.  One of the things about this system is that it is FULLY documented, so in terms of WHY a certain function is put onto a specific button, the answer is there.  I am always tweaking this, but try downloading the files here, and give them a shot.  Works really well for me.  Make sure you go to the Dec 5 post there, it contains the latest version (which has changed since then, I just haven't posted it yet).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I kept the flaps button on the joystick lower thumb rocker.  Same with the new GF III.  Easing the flaps down in a tight stall turn then getting off of them quickly used to be key.  

Now that your pilot will black out long before the plane stalls it's not as big of an issue.  😪

• Haha 1

There are literally unlimited permutations and combinations on how and where to assign commands onto different buttons.  IMHO, as long as it works for you, then have at it :)

The system I came up with works for me, and POSSIBLY (no guarantees) for others, as it is fully documented, meaning that you don't have to figure out what is where and why it's there for yourself. It follows a logical methodology and functional grouping.  Notwithstanding that, other folks may have other ideas on how and where to group stuff (like flaps on the china hat ;)... actually, I kind of like that idea, I may test it out, and put SRS on the flaps control, would be easier to quickly control them).  If my system gets tweaked and improved for personal preferences, once again, I'm honoured that someone used my base system as a starting point.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, WWDarkdiz said:

There are literally unlimited permutations and combinations on how and where to assign commands onto different buttons.  IMHO, as long as it works for you, then have at it :)

The system I came up with works for me, and POSSIBLY (no guarantees) for others, as it is fully documented, meaning that you don't have to figure out what is where and why it's there for yourself. It follows a logical methodology and functional grouping.  Notwithstanding that, other folks may have other ideas on how and where to group stuff (like flaps on the china hat ;)... actually, I kind of like that idea, I may test it out, and put SRS on the flaps control, would be easier to quickly control them).  If my system gets tweaked and improved for personal preferences, once again, I'm honoured that someone used my base system as a starting point.

Thank you! I have just purchased a Warthog after using an X52 for a long time. This will take some getting used to, but your scripts will help. 👍🍻

• Like 1
15 hours ago, beeps said:

Thank you! I have just purchased a Warthog after using an X52 for a long time. This will take some getting used to, but your scripts will help. 👍🍻

If you have any questions, let me know.  I JUST finished another update (moved some stuff around, added some better view routines etc), but have not posted it yet, if there is interest I will, if not, I won't.

9 hours ago, WWDarkdiz said:

If you have any questions, let me know.  I JUST finished another update (moved some stuff around, added some better view routines etc), but have not posted it yet, if there is interest I will, if not, I won't.

Thanks mate!  So far so good!

Edited by beeps
updated
  • Like 1