Han

Game version 3.010 discussion: Important improvements

i cant help but love the developers of il-2 , both 1942 and bos and hopefully many more il-2's in the future you guys are simply awesome and i wish you the best . :salute:¬†ūüõ©ÔłŹ

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I have tried it but I don't see any change. Do I need to reboot the game?

No it's not the cenematic camera. It is actually something called inertia. That will determine how much the camera moves after you stop moving the mouse. 

5 hours ago, unreasonable said:

Just running a few trials of 37mm flak against P-47 and it is still looks like 1 hit = 1 kill, and 20mm is not much better if it gets near the engine. While I am certainly not going to repeat my 100 trials tests as documented in my thread,  the engines still break from splinter damage and the fuel tanks appear not to self seal. I am not talking about spectacular airframe collapse here that people often fixate on: but the ability of a plane to RTB after taking a hit.

With all the talk about damage in fighter to fighter contests I am disappointed that the requirements of the DM to give a decent representation of ground attack risks seem not to have been addressed. I know the ground pounders - whether MP or SP - tend to be quiet and humble types, but they deserve attention as well. If the effectiveness of hits from the front against radial engines and fuel tanks is left as exaggerated as it is in this game, then ground attack Careers in the P-47 will not be worth playing, and for the Spitfire: forget it. Which is a pity: it makes the hard work put into the career mode a waste of effort.

Ground attack was dangerous: but the effect of cumulative risk is.. cumulative. Get the probability of being shot down after a hit badly wrong (ie far too high) and the cumulative probability of surviving a number of missions  becomes a small fraction of the historic figure.

The main reason of this are the way to accurate AAA and Flak though rather then the effectiveness of the cannons. I forgot who, but a while ago someone ran some tests that even with rookie AI, the AAA / Flak is still double as precise as it was in history. 

54 minutes ago, SJ_Butcher said:

I have tried it but I don't see any change. Do I need to reboot the game?

You have probably different problem than cinematic camera.

4 minutes ago, II./JG77_Manu* said:

The main reason of this are the way to accurate AAA and Flak though rather then the effectiveness of the cannons. I forgot who, but a while ago someone ran some tests that even with rookie AI, the AAA / Flak is still double as precise as it was in history. 

That was me, (if you are talking about the tests involving massed aircraft attacking and airfield): the accuracy is not the issue here, that is a different matter.  The probability of surviving is a function of the probability of getting hit and the effects of a hit:  what I am talking about here is specifically the effects of a hit.  By comparison with the results of the US tests cannon hits are too effective in stopping engines and puncturing fuel tanks.

1 hour ago, blackram said:

Few days ago I mentioned (subjective opinion, ofcourse) how I think the DM would be perfect if set somewhere between the previous patch and before that and its just what they did now with latest update. Amazing. Thank you guys. New GUI is better for headtracking users but as I heard for VR users its worse.

For me as a VR user with the Rift it is much better.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sneaksie said:

Was the soundcard playing anything at that moment (youtube, music, etc.)? Do you have ASIO driver installed?

Nope. No music. No ASIO driver that I am aware of, just the stuff that Windows 10 installs.

If there is any other debug I can send let me know.

There is a crashdump file that is about 20M in size.

Also want to say, I got bounced in a multiplayer game today - those hit sounds!!! 

WOW! 

:good:

Haha, I was half cursing about being bounced and asking a wing man on comms to save my butt, and also praising how cool it was sounding over the comms while getting shot to hell.

Normally I dont hear a thing. Well done!

Edited by =EXPEND=Tripwire

One thing I really don't like about this update are the amendments to the airfield icons in multiplayer, especially the exact number of players operating out of each airfield. I thought it was bad enough previously with the 'pips' that stacked up depending on which airfield saw the higher ratio of operating players. I would prefer a server option, at the least, to obfuscate operational numbers at each airfield.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, SShrike said:

No it's not the cenematic camera. It is actually something called inertia. That will determine how much the camera moves after you stop moving the mouse. 

How can I change that, I have a clean PC flatmates, reinstalled game but that irritates me

22 minutes ago, Leifr said:

One thing I really don't like about this update are the amendments to the airfield icons in multiplayer, especially the exact number of players operating out of each airfield. I thought it was bad enough previously with the 'pips' that stacked up depending on which airfield saw the higher ratio of operating players. I would prefer a server option, at the least, to obfuscate operational numbers at each airfield.

Seconded. Not a good change at all. At least in the current form when it's enforced.

If it was an optional server setting, fine, but enforced it's just bad.

/edit

Rest of the update is good. Highly appreciated even. GUI remembering your settings is a major quality of live improvement and imrpoved performance is nothing to ever scoff about either.

DServer improvements are the major thing to me. Cheers for that and thank you, thank you, thank you.

Edited by wellenbrecher

can not launch in VR crashes to desktop when starting. 

nevermind worked after 3rd attempt.

Edited by 71st_AH_Mastiff

4 hours ago, I./ZG1_Dutchvdm said:

Hi Luke,

Is this also true for the bomber like the Ju-88 and He-111? I found it very hard to climb with both these bombers as flight-leader without losing the rest off the flight because they could not keep up with me. 

Grt M 

Yes, the Ju 88 cruise speed was increased to 340 kmh, and the He 111 was bumped up to 300 kmh. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you very much to all the team for the latest updates, really appreciated.:drinks:

Wishing you all the very best, Pete.:biggrin:

The AI is now indeed follow the leader better. Big plus!

However, I have tried a career mode mission, and still, the AI just doesn't work AT ALL in certain situations:

I came home after an airfield attack (which, except from an unecessary circle over the enemy airfield from my teammates, went pretty well), and when we came back home and wanted to land, we got encountered by a few Yaks. We scramble for a bit and then they flew home, only I and a Yak are turning in reach of the airfield. My teammates however just circle around the airfield, lights on and doing their patterns, while 3-4 km in their sight I turn an burn with "my" yak. It would be a matter of seconds to join me and kill that enemy but no, still they wait and wait with lights on. Even when I pull the Yak right THROUGH the formation of my 109s, they refuse to help me whatsoever. The Yak then eventually gets shot down from AA (it wasn't the smartest move to follow me and circle above my airfield neither).

So if you have to deal with something like this after a 35min flight, it is just not worth the effort. Because there are still too many pitfalls that can ruin your sortie AI wise.

So still after this patch there's no reason to go back to career mode for me. I'll stick with the scripted campaign and online...

Nice to see the other changes however.

7 minutes ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

The AI is now indeed follow the leader better. Big plus!

However, I have tried a career mode mission, and still, the AI just doesn't work AT ALL in certain situations:

I came home after an airfield attack (which, except from an unecessary circle over the enemy airfield from my teammates, went pretty well), and when we came back home and wanted to land, we got encountered by a few Yaks. We scramble for a bit and then they flew home, only I and a Yak are turning in reach of the airfield. My teammates however just circle around the airfield, lights on and doing their patterns, while 3-4 km in their sight I turn an burn with "my" yak. It would be a matter of seconds to join me and kill that enemy but no, still they wait and wait with lights on. Even when I pull the Yak right THROUGH the formation of my 109s, they refuse to help me whatsoever. The Yak then eventually gets shot down from AA (it wasn't the smartest move to follow me and circle above my airfield neither).

So if you have to deal with something like this after a 35min flight, it is just not worth the effort. Because there are still too many pitfalls that can ruin your sortie AI wise.

So still after this patch there's no reason to go back to career mode for me. I'll stick with the scripted campaign and online...

Nice to see the other changes however.

Funny, i had a smilar situation.  I was on my way hom with my FW 190 A3 and was hunted by 2 Yak. On my airfield were 2 friendly 109 F4 circeling  with landing lights. But this lazy asses did nothing. Finally the airfield AA saved my life.

1 hour ago, [KGv53]Big_Al_the_Allo said:

Funny, i had a smilar situation.  I was on my way hom with my FW 190 A3 and was hunted by 2 Yak. On my airfield were 2 friendly 109 F4 circeling  with landing lights. But this lazy asses did nothing. Finally the airfield AA saved my life.

Once the AI are in return to base mode, they will not engage any longer.

For that reason I do not give my wingmen a return to base order until I am sure we are safe.

• Upvote 1

VR hud scaling NOT good for me  :( ...  everything too big... and can`t make it smaller , only "Auto" and 100"  ... both too big .. :(

looks like" lower resolution screen"  on my Rift CV1 ?.

--and got more jiddering when moving head.. set down Steam vR resolution from 200 to 150..

...sorry to say that..

..  I love your game and admire your work ..

VR

I7 oc5GHz GTX 1080 ti

2500h VR IL2 jonkie

;)

Edited by SPEEDWULF77

2 hours ago, JG4_Sputnik said:

Slightly iritating, yes. It keeps happening to me every few missions, mainly 2-3 enemies following me all the way to af. What I do is quickly touchdown the plane and quit mission.

6 hours ago, unreasonable said:

That was me, (if you are talking about the tests involving massed aircraft attacking and airfield): the accuracy is not the issue here, that is a different matter.  The probability of surviving is a function of the probability of getting hit and the effects of a hit:  what I am talking about here is specifically the effects of a hit.  By comparison with the results of the US tests cannon hits are too effective in stopping engines and puncturing fuel tanks.

I respect your opinion and appreciate the testing. However, the phenomenon you describe may have been deliberate in order to heighten immersion...? Because no matter the game, the scale of say 15 P47 mudmoving at once against 20 AAA stations don`t happen at all, but maybe the scale of damages/losses is similar.

I don`t know much about mudmoving but I read Clostermann and he never ever feared enemy planes as mych as German anti aircraft guns. It is very apparent. Supposedly the loss rates were quite high too.

Edited by Mac_Messer

17 minutes ago, SPEEDWULF77 said:

VR GUI scaling NOT good for me  :( ...  everything too big... and can`t make it smaller , only "Auto" and 100"  ... both too big .. :(

looks like" low resolution screen"  on my Rift CV1 ?

Dont like it .. hope its just that mentioned Bug...

...sorry to say that..

;)

That is odd my experience with the Rift is just the opposite, I can see everything in the HUD much clearer now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In return to base mode, AI are like target drones.  Best as flight leader to tell AI when a mission is completed to "Do Like Me" from the commands list.  Then after you have returned to base and established it is clear, give the RTB order.

High speed stalling is noticeable.  In 190 and Spit, sure others but those were my tests so far.

Engines die very easy from a ping by MG's be it from behind or in front or AA MG.  Got to be very careful.

VR is a mix, initially I thought slower but now not so sure, maybe faster but there seems more definition at the same settings than before.  All I know is that I love flying it.  The Menus in game are quite large, easier to read but spaced all over the shop, I wonder if that is monitor resolution dependent like in Assetto Corsa....

At least at the render res I run, map bearings are readable - to be more so when I get my eGPU case.  Got the card to throw into it..

Anyway, just have a career as a flight leader or not worry about RTB state of your flight and enjoy the rest of the career aspect.  It is so much fun.

Thanks for the update gang .ūüĎć

21 hours ago, Mike2945 said:

I've got the same problem as Milopapa - the game won't launch.  After 2 - 3 seconds after the loading screen comes up it freezes.  I've tested the integrity of the files with Steam and they are apparently OK.  Grateful for any ideas.

Mike

Disable your Mods.

The ‚ÄėHistorical splashscreen‚Äô Mod will cause this to happen with the latest game version.

You can set game to start ‚Äėmods off‚Äô in the¬†¬†startup file.¬†

Change the line:

Mode=1 to Mode=0

Edited by HotPursuit

I know some people have been reporting exactly the opposite, but the last 2 nights of multiplayer (on WoL) server have been very bad for microstutters and warping enemies since the update for me.  

Just now, SeaSerpent said:

I know some people have been reporting exactly the opposite, but the last 2 nights of multiplayer (on WoL) server have been very bad for microstutters and warping enemies since the update for me.¬†¬†ÔĽŅ

Has to be your own internet, the update fixed the issues for me and my mates, I flew with 6 or 7 different people last 2 days and spent a total of around 5 hours or so flying on both WoL with also a bit of couple hours on KOTA (love their Moscow planeset) and everything worked like a charm on full servers with around 80 players for the most part, the trackir felt smoother, FPS was rather high (70-80 fps minimum at all times with my aging PC) and so on, I just had a bit of framerate drop because of the sheer amount of pilots around the airfield at some point but that was quickly over.

You could try to do a speedtest to make sure if thats your connection having hiccups :

https://www.speedtest.net/

heres what I get with a nearby server in Paris as a reference for you (I got a 200Mb download speed on paper) unfortunately it doesn't show packet loss : 

chrome_2019-02-06_03-39-13.png.120d65981bfaf42df2c7006099878d50.png

Remember wings of liberty is based in Moscow Russia and depending on how far you are from the server your ping will be more or less high and since you post that late I guess you're in the US or in Australia which would not be ideal for ping.

It could also be your PC.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

1 hour ago, SeaSerpent said:

I know some people have been reporting exactly the opposite, but the last 2 nights of multiplayer (on WoL) server have been very bad for microstutters and warping enemies since the update for me.  

Same here.  Worse now for me than it was before update; seeing planes shooting at nothing.

Edited by =AVG77=Garven

FEW_Hauggy, I don't care what "you and your mates" experienced, or your theories about my internet or my computer, which are just fine, thank you.  I'm reporting MY experience since the update for the purpose of giving feedback to the developers. 

Edited by SeaSerpent
  • Confused 1

All smooth for me, MP/SP......and picture is sooo much sharper and better in VR, now it looks so good that i have no need to go for higher resolution VR headset.

This update really hit the spot, except object markers on map, they are barely visible.

35 minutes ago, EAF_Ribbon said:

All smooth for me, MP/SP......and picture is sooo much sharper and better in VR, now it looks so good that i have no need to go for higher resolution VR headset.

This update really hit the spot, except object markers on map, they are barely visible.

Don't know if it's just my feelings, but I think spotting planes against the ground (forest etc.) is a bit easier now. A very welcome change!

38 minutes ago, LLv34_Temuri said:

Don't know if it's just my feelings, but I think spotting planes against the ground (forest etc.) is a bit easier now. A very welcome change!

Didn't give it much attention but i had zero problems spotting them among clouds too, at least in VR spotting seems better now.

I restarted my router, cleared out my multiplayer dogfight folder, did a disk cleanup, and restarted my computer.  So far things have been smooth since.  Fingers crossed.

Edited by =AVG77=Garven

18 hours ago, blackram said:

Few days ago I mentioned (subjective opinion, ofcourse) how I think the DM would be perfect if set somewhere between the previous patch and before that and its just what they did now with latest update. Amazing. Thank you guys. New GUI is better for headtracking users but as I heard for VR users its worse.

Why should the new GUI be worse for VR users?

I use VR only and the new GUI is a great improvement. Everything is more clearly, bigger and better to read. I also like the new maps in VR. I just don't understand some people complaining about things which are really better now......@ the DEV TEAM, just don't listen to such people.

Besides; I read the update change log. There was nothing stated about performance change for VR, but I have the impression that VR improved again!?

I get more FPS and the picture in general seems better in VR now, is that true or just imagination?

I am always happy for improvements for us VR users and want to thank the Dev team for it.

Edited by spitfirejoe
  • Like 1

Hello.

When I am the position bomber, every time opens the map to navigate, you have to re-position it in the flight path ... is a nuisance.

For when the position of nose in the a20? ..... 

thanks for the update going well ..... greetings

And now after a brief test, I was again able to join my coop that has about 140 moving objects, including a couple of trains, plus three AI fighters. FPS was 60, dserver reported tick delay of 4.4. This was of course when I was the only player, but looking good!

Just now, SeaSerpent said:

FEW_Hauggy, I don't care what "you and your mates" experienced, or your theories about my internet or my computer, which are just fine, thank you.  I'm reporting MY experience since the update for the purpose of giving feedback to the developers. 

Just trying to help you figure it out for some reason.

Good luck then! Enjoy the lag that Im sure don't come from the servers.

Edited by =FEW=Hauggy

Well, i dont want to complain, just want to give contructive feedback for the devs.  

My VR got worse since update.. Dont know why?? 

The thing about the bigger hud display is shurly more a thing you like or not. I liked it smaller. 

The main thing is my fps decreased...?? 

My view is more shiny and brighter but when moving head it stutters.. 

Tried changing ss in steamvr from 200 to 150... no significant change....  

But i hear the oposite from many vr users... 

?? 

Hmm...  what can i do 

Is it possible that my internet connection is the bottleneck?? 

I7 oc 5GHZ GTX1080 TI VR RIFT CV1 

2 hours ago, SPEEDWULF77 said:

Well, i dont want to complain, just want to give contructive feedback for the devs.  

My VR got worse since update.. Dont know why?? 

The thing about the bigger hud display is shurly more a thing you like or not. I liked it smaller. 

The main thing is my fps decreased...?? 

My view is more shiny and brighter but when moving head it stutters.. 

Tried changing ss in steamvr from 200 to 150... no significant change....  

But i hear the oposite from many vr users... 

?? 

Hmm...  what can i do 

Is it possible that my internet connection is the bottleneck?? 

I7 oc 5GHZ GTX1080 TI VR RIFT CV1 

I use opencomposite instead of steamvr and use oculus tray tool to supersample at 1.3 with asw off. try this and see how to goes. steam VR adds alot of fluff and unnecessary features. you can switch between opencomposite and steamvr easily in the program. 

Edited by colemanuk82
  • Thanks 1

Applied the patch yesterday after also updating to the newest NVidia drivers.

In VR I was pleasantly surprised by the new clarity of the hanger menus which are much easier to read and also seemed a lot sharper.

The biggest surprise however was ingame as everything was a lot smoother and more fluid than I'm used to.

I always get maxxed framerates with my setup but now even flight inputs seems a lot more responsive.

I only had chance to try a quick career mission so nothing online.

The other thing I noticed was that the aircraft trim was quicker and smoother than before; it had always been a bit stuttery to adjust and now it's as smooth as butter.

• Thanks 1

Had some issued with localized screen tearing post-patch. When moving my head from left to right, a small horizontal band (1 inch wide) on my monitor would tear or distort as I moved. I never noticed this pre-patch. It happens with the HUD overlay on or off. Turning on VSync corrected the issue, and had no performance bugs otherwise. Vsync says it has a performance cost to it but I didn't notice anything after using it ,everything is smooth, I just never had to use it before. Anyone else notice anything like this? 

Other than that small hiccup this update worked great for me. The DM tweaks have ironed out most ironed out issues of planes soaking up too much damage. The wing root fix mentioned now seems to make it more likely to dewing enemy aircraft again with 20mm. My first encounter I rolled in on two 109s, set one on fire with a good burst into the engine, barrel rolled onto the tail of another and tore his wing off with a long burst from close range (had to dodge the wing as it flew back. Its a nice middle ground between pre-3.008 and post 3.008. The UI operates very smoothly, much less delay on opening maps etc., and a small issue I'd been having with the career maps showing old missions has disappeared. I think also damage to aircraft now slows them down quite a bit more as I was able to catch some 109s easier after a few hits last night, but that might just be a placebo effect.

Just wanted to say that I'm having a blast with this new patch. The performance improvements even on my very modest rig are considerable. Great work guys! 

On 2/5/2019 at 9:21 AM, SJ_Butcher said:

How can I change that, I have a clean PC flatmates, reinstalled game but that irritates me

Go into settings, camera, there should be sliders there and there is one called inertia. Rotation inertia and movement inertia. Adjust those. 

IMG_0557.JPG

Edited by SShrike