Han

Game version 3.010 discussion: Important improvements

14 hours ago, Voidhunger said:

from quick testing the DM is much much better, but after reviewing my trk file (3.10 update file), there is unstoppable blinking of the cockpit view.

I almost got epilepsy!!!

Let me know guys pls if its only mine problem.

Edit: blinking trk file solved. Now its ok

How did you fix this? Happening to me as well when in cockpit view.

25 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Haven't been using flaps, but there does seem to be a wicked accelerated stall around 200mph. Have been trying to do a loop at various altitudes and speeds, and am finding if you're not over the top by the time the airspeed hit 200mph IAS, it's going to spin hard. Flipping through the P-47N manual, it states that the entry condition for the loop is 350mph, with a 150mph over the top speed. I'm assuming those are indicated airspeed, so thinking loops are not achievable above 15,000 ft or so, and need to start with a dive.

I'm going to have to get some structured practice in, but right now, as it is now, there just don't seem to be any energy maneuvers that work. Just fast, straight shallow dives.

Also, has anyone else had the landing gear not retract after takeoff? First flight I did was from the runway, and for whatever reason, the main gear just would not retract. The flight characteristics seemed normal, so I'm wondering if it was a visual glitch. Air-starts, the gear worked, and haven't' tried another ground start yet.

Lastly, did the WEP timer change? Had the engine seize after 5 minutes on water injection. First time I've had that happen in the plane. I'll need to specifically test that a few times to see if it wasn't just a fluke or the oil cooler vents popping closed. It was a quick dogfight mission, and I've noticed sometimes my initial control settings don't take until I've radically changed them a couple of times, but it happened very close to the ground, so didn't get much time to check what had happened beyond the engine cutting out

Yep unfortunately high speed maneuvering seems even worse than before, especially at high altitude.

As for the 5min WEP timer that has always been there, engine blows after 5min full power. Hope it will be changed to a better model someday but who knows.

Other than these few issues I really like the new update. DM feels great for the most part and cannons feel more powerful yet they wont always get an instant kill. Feels like a good balance.

Edited by Legioneod

A huge 'Thank you guys!' from all members of HungersBunteBühne! You are great!! 

Nice update but i have mixed feelings about new GUI when flying in VR;

-object markers on the map in VR are barely visible.

-airfield icons when under attack are also hard to distinguish even it's nice to be able see name and airfield number in VR

-tech tips are too big.

From VR perspective things that were big enough before (tech tips and menu) are now a bit too big which i find uneccessary.

Also i liked the old bigger bar for fuel in customization menu, it was easier and more precise to select desired amount of fuel by one click.

Take this as a feedback, not criticism!

Good thing is some things are much clearer right now and i like new DM.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

DM feels great for the most part and cannons feel more powerful yet they wont always get an instant kill. Feels like a good balance.

I agree. 

I shot down literally hundreds of planes during testing DM in this beta and got a pretty good perspective imo. I would not use the word balance, but believable. Weapons and damage they make to the different targets is pretty much what I would expect.

Of course these planes and weapons flew over 70 years ago, so it`s a subjective matter. Hard to be absolutely sure about anything. I`m sure someone will find something strange happen at some point in some situation, which doesn`t fit his view of things. It happens, no matter how the DM is built, no big deal.

But overall, things look pretty good to me in this department. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

The performance is outstanding now and I will try VR later but first impressions are great. The new DM feels like the desired result they were going for in the first place. Need to try the 37mm cannons but the rest of them feel good to use now. Of course accuracy is still a big factor, which is good, whereas before these DM updates you could devastate planes with a quick spray. AI dont make enormous performance hits for me like it did before. I was hovering around 70 fps max before where 15 other AI would bring me into the 40 range. Now Im hitting 100 fps and being brought down to 75 with the 15 AI. 

Thanks for this great update. Performance and fps in MP is much better for me. I saw only once outdated data in 2 hours MP session. DM seems to be better. Thanks for these fixes!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Legioneod said:

How did you fix this? Happening to me as well when in cockpit view.

It was bad only in the first track I recorded. Subsequent tracks were ok. (After game restart)

1 hour ago, LLv24_Zami said:

I agree. 

I shot down literally hundreds of planes during testing DM in this beta and got a pretty good perspective imo. I would not use the word balance, but believable. Weapons and damage they make to the different targets is pretty much what I would expect.

Of course these planes and weapons flew over 70 years ago, so it`s a subjective matter. Hard to be absolutely sure about anything. I`m sure someone will find something strange happen at some point in some situation, which doesn`t fit his view of things. It happens, no matter how the DM is built, no big deal.

But overall, things look pretty good to me in this department. 

I tested yesterday MG151 against laggs and yaks and before the update these planes went down with pilots or engines killed, now almost every plane went down with shot off fuselage, together with one wing.  one plane continued fighting with big holes in the engine for about 15 minutes. From my limited testing seems to me that lagg and yak engines are now to much resistent to damage. Need to test it more ofcourse

14 minutes ago, Voidhunger said:

I tested yesterday MG151 against laggs and yaks and before the update these planes went down with pilots or engines killed, now almost every plane went down with shot off fuselage, together with one wing.  one plane continued fighting with big holes in the engine for about 15 minutes. From my limited testing seems to me that lagg and yak engines are now to much resistent to damage. Need to test it more ofcourse

No, they are not. It depends where you hit. The visuals are not necessarily precise reference to the damage done.

Edited by LLv24_Zami

55 minutes ago, Field-Ops said:

The performance is outstanding now and I will try VR later but first impressions are great. The new DM feels like the desired result they were going for in the first place. Need to try the 37mm cannons but the rest of them feel good to use now. Of course accuracy is still a big factor, which is good, whereas before these DM updates you could devastate planes with a quick spray. AI dont make enormous performance hits for me like it did before. I was hovering around 70 fps max before where 15 other AI would bring me into the 40 range. Now Im hitting 100 fps and being brought down to 75 with the 15 AI. 

i try 37 and its as bad as before, it takes 2-3 hits to brake enemy fighter, they are still unbelivable week, i noticed fighters on both side now braking in half after big amount of 20-23 cannon hits, but still most cripeling dmg to enemy is destroying his engine, i would expect 1 37mm hiting enemy fighter would do heavy structural damage and 109 should be cripled like it was in old dm before 3.008

Edited by 77.CountZero

Just now, 77.CountZero said:

i try 37 and its as bad as before, it takes 2-3 hits to brake enemy fighter, they are still unbelivable, i noticed fighters on both side now braking in half after bg amount of cannon hits, but still most cripeling dmg to enemy is destroying his engine

You guys are unbelievable. I don`t think the whining ever stops, no matter what is done 😂

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

i try 37 and its as bad as before, it takes 2-3 hits to brake enemy fighter, they are still unbelivable, i noticed fighters on both side now braking in half after bg amount of cannon hits, but still most cripeling dmg to enemy is destroying his engine

Haven't tested 37mm yet but the 30mm seems to be pretty good so far. I took off a Jug wing with 1-2 hits so it's definitely powerful, just depends on what you hit.

Edited by Legioneod

1 minute ago, LLv24_Zami said:

You guys are unbelievable. I don`t think the whining ever stops, no matter what is done 😂

fighters serviving multile 37mm hits is not small unnoticable thing, and it was not like that for long time

No, they are not. It depends where you hit. The visuals are not much reference to the damage done.

I know that visual dmg is not accurate, but those big holes in the engine are deadly. Like i said i need to test more.

But i think this has something to do with it maybe?

5. HE rounds no longer damage armored objects without penetrating armour in certain cases

Most people want instant one hit kills and that's why people complain so much. Surviving a handful of hits is completely plausible imo but it all depends on the aircraft. Aircraft like the yak shouldn't be able to survive more than 2-3 hits at most (from a 30mm). All depends on the aircraft construction.

Imo the DM overall is pretty good, cannons seem deadly again without being one hit kills all the time. I'm happy with it so far.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

fighters serviving multile 37mm hits is not small unnoticable thing, and it was not like that for long time

They are not surviving when I shoot them. It`s just unbelievable, you shoot couple of planes down and if they do not explode in nuclear detonation like it should in your mind, that`s it then. I just can laugh 🤣

Edited by LLv24_Zami

4 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Haven't tested 37mm yet but the 30mm seems to be pretty good so far. I took off a Jug wing with 1-2 hits so it's definitely powerful, just depends on what you hit.

i try 2h with only he and only ap, and was not able to shoot down enemy fighter with 1 hit, it usealy takes 2-3 and in some cases 5 ap hits with only 37mm, its only thing i see realy wrong with dm, when i saw that airplanes now lose tail section i was hoping they make it so 37mm can cut airplane in half with 1 hit, but after tests was disapointed to see its not.

2 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Most people want instant one hit kills and that's why people complain so much. Surviving a handful of hits is completely plausible imo but it all depends on the aircraft. Aircraft like the yak shouldn't be able to survive more than 2-3 hits at most (from a 30mm). All depends on the aircraft construction.

Imo the DM overall is pretty good, cannons seem deadly again without being one hit kills all the time. I'm happy with it so far.

Sometimes they die at one hit, it all depends. There are a million different situations. People just shoot few planes down and draw they`re conclusions.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, LLv24_Zami said:

They are not surviving when I shoot them. It`s just unbelievable, you shoot couple of planes down and if they do not explode in nuclear detonation like your it should in your mind, that`s it then. I just can laugh 🤣

yes 1 37mm hit should brake 109s wing or cut it in half, its not 20mm its 37, and one he hit close to cockpit should brake engine, and it dosent, it takes min 2 hits now, usealy 3

3 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

i try 2h with only he and only ap, and was not able to shoot down enemy fighter with 1 hit, it usealy takes 2-3 and in some cases 5 ap hits with only 37mm, its only thing i see realy wrong with dm, when i saw that airplanes now lose tail section i was hoping they make it so 37mm can cut airplane in half with 1 hit, but after tests was disapointed to see its not.

I disagree that it should always cut a plane half. Like the case in german 30mm. But they do that sometimes. 

See, that`s the subjective thing. 

Edited by LLv24_Zami
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Legioneod said:

Other than these few issues I really like the new update. DM feels great for the most part and cannons feel more powerful yet they wont always get an instant kill. Feels like a good balance.

Yes. I think this time they got it right.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

yes 1 37mm hit should brake 109s wing or cut it in half, its not 20mm its 37, and one he hit close to cockpit should brake engine, and it dosent, it takes min 2 hits now, usealy 3

I strongly disagree with this. 1 hit shouldn't always destroy an aircraft or kills it;s engine. It all depends on what and where you hit the aircraft. 1 hit may not do enough damage to sever a wing or tail section yet sometimes 1 hit is all thats needed.

There has to be variables and probabilities, you can't just have a single result all the time.

• Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, 77.CountZero said:

Just running a few trials of 37mm flak against P-47 and it is still looks like 1 hit = 1 kill, and 20mm is not much better if it gets near the engine. While I am certainly not going to repeat my 100 trials tests as documented in my thread,  the engines still break from splinter damage and the fuel tanks appear not to self seal. I am not talking about spectacular airframe collapse here that people often fixate on: but the ability of a plane to RTB after taking a hit.

With all the talk about damage in fighter to fighter contests I am disappointed that the requirements of the DM to give a decent representation of ground attack risks seem not to have been addressed. I know the ground pounders - whether MP or SP - tend to be quiet and humble types, but they deserve attention as well. If the effectiveness of hits from the front against radial engines and fuel tanks is left as exaggerated as it is in this game, then ground attack Careers in the P-47 will not be worth playing, and for the Spitfire: forget it. Which is a pity: it makes the hard work put into the career mode a waste of effort.

Ground attack was dangerous: but the effect of cumulative risk is.. cumulative. Get the probability of being shot down after a hit badly wrong (ie far too high) and the cumulative probability of surviving a number of missions  becomes a small fraction of the historic figure.

• Upvote 6

1 minute ago, unreasonable said:

Just running a few trials of 37mm flak against P-47 and it is still looks like 1 hit = 1 kill, and 20mm is not much better if it gets near the engine. While I am certainly not going to repeat my 100 trials tests as documented in my thread,  the engines still break from splinter damage and the fuel tanks appear not to self seal. I am not talking about spectacular airframe collapse here that people often fixate on: but the ability of a plane to RTB after taking a hit.

With all the talk about damage in fighter to fighter contests I am disappointed that the requirements of the DM to give a decent representation of ground attack risks seem not to have been addressed. I know the ground pounders - whether MP or SP - tend to be quiet and humble types, but they deserve attention as well. If the effectiveness of hits from the front against radial engines and fuel tanks is left as exaggerated as it is in this game, then ground attack Careers in the P-47 will not be worth playing, and for the Spitfire: forget it. Which is a pity: it makes the hard work put into the career mode a waste of effort.

Ground attack was dangerous: but the effect of cumulative risk is.. cumulative. Get the probability of being shot down after a hit badly wrong (ie far too high) and the cumulative probability of surviving a number of missions  becomes a small fraction of the historic figure.

Agreed. Engine damage and fuel tanks need to be looked at. Current damage to airframe and pilot seem good but engine get taken out very easily by shrapnel or minor hits.

Ground attack in the P-47 and similar aircraft isnt worth it at the moment.

Another thing is self sealing fuel tanks don't seem to be implemented or they just aren't working. I took a handful of hits to my fuel tank by an Mg-34 yet my tank didnt seem to seal up at all and kept leaking fuel. Self sealing tanks dont seem to work.

Just got done using the 37 on the Lagg and p39. Heavy planes seem to take quite a bit of shots. The Mc202 I was fighting was usually a wing off with a single shot but fuselage hits werent deadly in the first two shots. One shot did mostly decimate the tail controls twice, leaving it a wobbly mess with what was left. 

18 minutes ago, Legioneod said:

Agreed. Engine damage and fuel tanks need to be looked at. Current damage to airframe and pilot seem good but engine get taken out very easily by shrapnel or minor hits.

Ground attack in the P-47 and similar aircraft isnt worth it at the moment.

Another thing is self sealing fuel tanks don't seem to be implemented or they just aren't working. I took a handful of hits to my fuel tank by an Mg-34 yet my tank didnt seem to seal up at all and kept leaking fuel. Self sealing tanks dont seem to work.

I think things like fuel tank sealing isnt going to get looked at until they get around to implementing drop tanks which was planned a while ago. Once they get into that they plan on refining the fuel lines and tank consumption. I'm sure sealing tanks would be considered during that time. 

Great advance, now the UI doesn't freeze every time I use the map or menu, but there is still a noticeable effect of it, I hope you can fix that lag in the coming future... 

Another thing I want to be fixed or removed is when you use the external view and start moving around, it doesn't feel smooth, it feels strange because when you stop moving the mouse it keeps moving, how can I get rid of that effect?

For me as a VR ONLY user the new update is great! Very clearly and good readable UI now in VR mode, thanks to the Devs for that, I love it!

1 hour ago, SJ_Butcher said:

how can I get rid of that effect?

It's a setting in Graphics called something like 'cinematic camera'. Turn it off and Bob's yer mothers brother! 

2 hours ago, Field-Ops said:

Just got done using the 37 on the Lagg and p39. Heavy planes seem to take quite a bit of shots. The Mc202 I was fighting was usually a wing off with a single shot but fuselage hits werent deadly in the first two shots. One shot did mostly decimate the tail controls twice, leaving it a wobbly mess with what was left. 

I think things like fuel tank sealing isnt going to get looked at until they get around to implementing drop tanks which was planned a while ago. Once they get into that they plan on refining the fuel lines and tank consumption. I'm sure sealing tanks would be considered during that time. 

Agreed, packed into update with torpedo tech for il2 and ju88 :)

11 hours ago, Mike2945 said:

I've got the same problem as Milopapa - the game won't launch.  After 2 - 3 seconds after the loading screen comes up it freezes.  I've tested the integrity of the files with Steam and they are apparently OK.  Grateful for any ideas.

Mike

I have the same problem, and I opened a ticket here.

Did a few multiplayer sorties yesterday night, might be a little early to judge, but this feels like the most important multiplayer-patch in years! Damage model updates are also nice. You guys did a really great job! Thanks for that and keep up the good work!

Edited by I./JG62_Knipser

I am curious to test the Po2  with rockets as tank killer. Closure speed will be so low that you can aim while drinking your beer. :ph34r:🍺

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, LukeFF said:

Yes, I was quite glad this change was made. :good: I tested every single plane to see where there might be a problem with them flying too fast or too slow. The result now is that you shouldn't have to use combat power to keep up with the AI when carrying bombs and / or they won't fly too slow any more (like with the Hs 129).

Hi Luke,

Is this also true for the bomber like the Ju-88 and He-111? I found it very hard to climb with both these bombers as flight-leader without losing the rest off the flight because they could not keep up with me. 

Grt M 

:good:

Have flown some missions now with this update, loving the new auto UI scaling in VR.

Much better thanks!

Few days ago I mentioned (subjective opinion, ofcourse) how I think the DM would be perfect if set somewhere between the previous patch and before that and its just what they did now with latest update. Amazing. Thank you guys. New GUI is better for headtracking users but as I heard for VR users its worse.

Edited by blackram
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Milopapa said:

After this update, the game won't launch (trying in VR). Loading screen comes up, then closes after 2-3 seconds. Tried to verify steam integrity of files, didn't help.

I had the same issue - after looking for a bit I found this logfile with an entry in it that pointed me in the right direction.

!!! ERROR m_pEventSystem->init(..); '': Soundcard does not support the minimum features needed for this soundsystem (16bit stereo output).

Which is odd, as I have never had issues before. Anyway, the game was using my default speakers when I started it. I changed it to use my VR headset/graphics card HDMI audio for audio output - like it should have been had I started the VR headset first and then it started working. Exited the game and set it back to "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)", and the crash was reproducible. Hopefully this helps others?

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Diggun said:

It's a setting in Graphics called something like 'cinematic camera'. Turn it off and Bob's yer mothers brother! 

I have tried it but I don't see any change. Do I need to reboot the game?

35 minutes ago, =EXPEND=Tripwire said:

set it back to "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device)", and the crash was reproducible

Was the soundcard playing anything at that moment (youtube, music, etc.)? Do you have ASIO driver installed?