Rangoon

What is the best way to learn an aircraft thoroughly?

In Rise of Flight, there was a tutorial campaign. In DCS, I practice with startup checklists and learn systems, then try practical application with quick missions etc., then start a campaign.

What is a good method in IL-2? Is there a particular set of missions I should be looking for, a guide with checklists and explanations of how to properly use systems such as prop, radiator, etc.? And learn step-by-step?

I have LukeFF's excellent PDF guide. I also have the Pilot's Notes PDF. Are these the best resources at the moment? Is there a tutorial in the sim I'm missing?

What do you mean by thoroughly? Il-2 isn't a study sim by no means so there isn't really much to learn from it.

You can obviously learn how to employ it in combat and that's a very vast subject to dive into, but from a technical standpoint everything you can learn is pretty basic.

Hours and Hours flying..

250 hours in Type is a good start (with minimal changes to another plane to avoid confusion)

550+ in HE111.
500+ in BF110.
250+ in JU88.
150+ in JU87.

4 hours ago, Dogbert1953 said:

Many thanks JimTM, i wasn't aware of that post.  👍

Mike.

You're welcome Dogbert1953. Many thanks to all the people behind those links and to all the helpful people on this forum.  :salute:

8 hours ago, =TBAS=Sshadow14 said:

Hours and Hours flying..

250 hours in Type is a good start (with minimal changes to another plane to avoid confusion)

550+ in HE111.
500+ in BF110.
250+ in JU88.
150+ in JU87.

What scares me is that I can't tell if you're joking or not 😅

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, JimTM said:

You're welcome Dogbert1953. Many thanks to all the people behind those links and to all the helpful people on this forum.  :salute:

Completely agree buddy. Lovely forum to be a member of indeed.

Mike.

I recently found a good way to practice with planes.  Go to Quick Mission.  Select your plane and setup.  Select enemy plane - "random".  Select difficulty to "random" and enemy waves number to "infinite".   In custom realism settings select "unlimited ammo", and optionally, "endless fuel" and "invincible".   

Eventually, if you last long enough without accidental ramming, or hitting the ground, the mission might 'hiccup' and spawn multiple enemies at once.  You can get some really good 3-5 vs. You dogfights happening.   If you take the invincibility off but, keep the unlimited ammo on, you might still last long enough to get to the multi-AI-spam point and get to practice situational awareness with the risk of being shot down. 

Hope this works for you as well.  

P.S.  @Devs :  If this is a bug in the single duel QMB setup, please don't fix it!   :salute:

So far, you have been given good advice.  After 20 years of air combat sims,  I've learned this about self-training.  Once you've gathered all your sources - read,  practice, repeat... over and over.  Go at  your own pace and keep it fun.  Single player missions are perfect.  Don't forget to record!  Soon enough you'll know when you can hold your own online, and taxi your beloved aircraft like a sports coupe.  

Unrelated:  Best reference for online air combat is "In Pursuit", http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/lento_ohjeet/inpursuit/inpursuit.pdf