Jump to content
TP_Fritz

Multiplayer DServer Subtitle issues

Recommended Posts

I've been working on a multiplayer mission that has several Subtitles in it to alert the players of some events.  It's a Dogfight mission.  When I test the mission in single player mode (as a saved Singleplayer mission), the Subtitles work perfectly.  When I test it on my personal system in Dogfight mode, they work as well.

 

However, when I upload the mission to my DServer and then run it, none of the Subtitles show up.  At all.

 

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why this is happening.  I've tried changing how the Subtitles are triggered, going so far as to make sure that every one has a separate Timer Trigger that targets it (i.e., the Timer being one that is fired from a Check Zone solely attached to the Subtitle), I've tried changing the coalitions, etc.  Nothing so far has worked.

 

Here is a mission I set up to test this outside of the main mission.  The Subtitle is set up exactly like it is in my mission (I've provided images of the Check Zone Advanced Properties as well as the Subtitle Advanced Properties).  The truck starts to move once I spawn in, moves through the Check Zone... and nothing happens.

 

1.jpg

 

I've attached the mission to this just in case.

 

What am I missing?  Logic would seem to dictate that the issue is most likely related to running on the DServer... however, I have no clue what that could be.

 

A huge thanks to anyone who can show me where I'm going wrong.

 

Test.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the file you included, the list file is ok, but look at the .eng file.  It is for all intentional purposes, empty.  This is where it stores the subtitles stuff.

 

Going to have to assume the eng file on you computer does NOT look like the eng file on the server, or else you would not be getting the subtitles when you host thru your gui.

 

when a pilot joins your server,  the .mission or .msnbin file automatically get transfered.  The list file tells the server what other files to transfer to pilots joining.  The eng file has all the text entries (mission name, breifing, subtitles etc) that are going to be used in a mission.

Edited by WWSitttingDuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, WWSitttingDuck said:

In the file you included, the list file is ok, but look at the .eng file.  It is for all intentional purposes, empty.  This is where it stores the subtitles stuff.

You're wrong.

the eng file is not the area where the information is always stored. It could be in the eng file, but it can be in other files. It depends of the language of the game. If my game is in french, even if the editor is in english, the subtitle, briefing and other stuff will be in the fr file.

 

The default area where is located subtitle, briefing, etc.. is link to the language of the game of the mission builder. 

 

@ TP_Fritz : Here is your mission which work.

 

I change some timer and add some subtitles to help the debugging.

 

Time of the waypoint timer increase to 15s to be sure that the waypoint is not activated before the checkzone.

 

 

Debug_MSGTest.zip

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Habu - but I've found something really strange.

 

When I unzip your mission, it works like I expect it to.  So, just to check my own suspicions, I opened your Debug mission in the ME myself, didn't change anything, and then saved it as a different mission name (i.e., Debug_MSGTesta).  When I ran that saved mission, the Subtitles didn't work anymore.  Something's got to be screwy with my install of the ME or something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something to know, and i think it could be the problem.

 

Check the list file of the new mission, and check if you don't have a file named Debug_MSGTest.zip which list.

 

If you see it, delete it from the list file and save the list file.

Edited by Habu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've found all sorts of weirdness with the .list and translation files. Currently I use a Steam version of the game to edit missions, then deploy to a non-Steam version of the game on the server. I have to use the resaver with -t to update the mission for the new paths on the server PC. This works for me, but many people have advised against it. 

 

One time I got into trouble where somehow the .list file didn't match the checksums for the various translation files. It wouldn't load them at all, even into the mission editor. I had to go back to a previously-good version of the mission and translation files (I zip up my work a few times a night in case something disastrous happens and I need a heavy-weight 'undo' button).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alonzo said:

I've found all sorts of weirdness with the .list and translation files. Currently I use a Steam version of the game to edit missions, then deploy to a non-Steam version of the game on the server. I have to use the resaver with -t to update the mission for the new paths on the server PC. This works for me, but many people have advised against it. 

 

One time I got into trouble where somehow the .list file didn't match the checksums for the various translation files. It wouldn't load them at all, even into the mission editor. I had to go back to a previously-good version of the mission and translation files (I zip up my work a few times a night in case something disastrous happens and I need a heavy-weight 'undo' button).

 

If you run into this problem again, you could try the solution in "Fix Corrupt Localization Files", on pg. 50 of the editor manual.

Edited by JimTM
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, JimTM said:

 

If you run into this problem again, you could try the solution in "Fix Corrupt Localization Files", on pg. 50 of the editor manual.

 

Aha, interesting! If I wanted to use a text editor search-and-replace to blank out all my accidental "Icon desc" that are still littering my missions, would this work? So, edit text files outside of Mission Editor, then hit menu option to clear and re-enumerate?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Alonzo said:

 

Aha, interesting! If I wanted to use a text editor search-and-replace to blank out all my accidental "Icon desc" that are still littering my missions, would this work? So, edit text files outside of Mission Editor, then hit menu option to clear and re-enumerate?

 

I don't really understand the details of your situation and I haven't had the need to use the re-enumerate function, so I can't say if your fix will work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JimTM said:

 

I don't really understand the details of your situation and I haven't had the need to use the re-enumerate function, so I can't say if your fix will work. 

 

Basically, I have edited a number of maps now, with lots of icons. The icons default description is, I believe, "Icon desc", so now I have dozens of these things. When on the map screen, "Icon desc" comes up as a 'hover' detail for some of the icons, depending on what kind of icon they are. I could fix this the 'slow' way by paging through the mission outline in the editor, finding icons, selecting them and then editing the description to be blank. But "icon desc" is also in the .eng file. One time (only once!) I tried editing the .eng text file and just doing find/replace on "Icon desc" with "" to blank them out. Then I reloaded the map into the editor, but this lost *all* the text everywhere (presumably because the .eng file checksum no longer matches the .list file, because I edited the .eng file by hand).

 

I guess I can go try it 😉  I've done some other edits textually, for example bulk adding a bunch of tanks to a consistent "onDamaged" and "onKilled" rather than wiring up 15 tanks by hand, and adding those tanks to a defence check zone "on" "off" commands rather than clicking, and those work, but I'm editing entirely within the .mission file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see. Your edit and re-enumerate idea sounds like it would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×